Who was 1 Peter written to?

turbosixx

Do you believe that at some point they were no longer valid?

I know we can learn from them even now.

Ok, I'll try again.

I understand they were no longer necessary to observe starting at Pentecost. I believe God tore the veil in the temple to show that no longer does man approach God thru the Holy of Holies but thru Christ. Same with the Holy days, they are like the temple, a physical representation of what we have today spiritually.

Yes, we can learn from them the spiritual implications of what we have in Christ. They are still valid for learning.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Ok, I'll try again.

I understand they were no longer necessary to observe starting at Pentecost. I believe God tore the veil in the temple to show that no longer does man approach God thru the Holy of Holies but thru Christ. Same with the Holy days, they are like the temple, a physical representation of what we have today spiritually.

Yes, we can learn from them the spiritual implications of what we have in Christ. They are still valid for learning.
Are you looking back to that the temple was destroyed, or are you identifying something different? When Paul wrote, it was not destroyed, but Jesus had risen from the dead, ascended to the Father, and the Holy Spirit had been poured out on Jews and Gentiles.

turbosixx

Are you looking back to that the temple was destroyed, or are you identifying something different? When Paul wrote, it was not destroyed, but Jesus had risen from the dead, ascended to the Father, and the Holy Spirit had been poured out on Jews and Gentiles.

When Jesus died.

Matt. 27:50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. 51 And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.

Only the HP entered the veil to approach God, now Jesus does it for us.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
When Jesus died.

Matt. 27:50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. 51 And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.

Only the HP entered the veil to approach God, now Jesus does it for us.
Was Jesus' death the end of sacrifice? The temple was not destroyed at the time Jesus died.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Not necessarily, but once the gospel was proclaimed it was starting to vanish away.
The temple or do you mean the old covenant?

Do you understand what Jeremiah wrote which is explained in the book of Hebrews?

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB.

Jesus brought the new covenant. Is the old covenant no longer and when and why did it come to an end if it is no longer?

God's Law, which is associated with the old covenant, is eternal.

Then we need to know about the new covenant.

I don't know if the change of law spoken of in Hebrews deals with the old covenant law or the priesthood or both.

turbosixx

The temple or do you mean the old covenant?

Do you understand what Jeremiah wrote which is explained in the book of Hebrews?

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB.

Jesus brought the new covenant. Is the old covenant no longer and when and why did it come to an end if it is no longer?

God's Law, which is associated with the old covenant, is eternal.

Then we need to know about the new covenant.

I don't know if the change of law spoken of in Hebrews deals with the old covenant law or the priesthood or both.

Maybe this might help.

Matt. 5:27"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'; This is one of the ten commandments, the old law, you could look and lust all you want but just don't do the physical act.

28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. The new law, takes it from the physical act to the spiritual act.

Can I lust after a woman and not have physical sex with her and say I am not in violation of God's law? I would not be under the old law but under the law of Christ I am.

The law of Christ is superior in every way. There is zero need to follow the old law and to do so would cause one to fall from grace.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Maybe this might help.

Matt. 5:27"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'; This is one of the ten commandments, the old law, you could look and lust all you want but just don't do the physical act.

28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. The new law, takes it from the physical act to the spiritual act.

Can I lust after a woman and not have physical sex with her and say I am not in violation of God's law? I would not be under the old law but under the law of Christ I am.

The law of Christ is superior in every way. There is zero need to follow the old law and to do so would cause one to fall from grace.
Are you saying that your view that to think it is sin even before you do it, pertaining to the old law is the same as the law of Christ without the old law?

Jesus observed and taught the Law (and the Prophets). He did not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

turbosixx

Are you saying that your view that to think it is sin even before you do it, pertaining to the old law is the same as the law of Christ without the old law?

I don't understand this question.

Jesus observed and taught the Law (and the Prophets). He did not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Yes, because he hadn't established the new.

Fulfill, complete the prophecies.

Luke 4:21 And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I don't understand this question.

Yes, because he hadn't established the new.

Fulfill, complete the prophecies.
Was fulfill in relation to commands? Are there commands of prophecy?

The new covenant does not appear to have a law associated with it.

Romans 2:15 NASB - 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

Deuteronomy 30:10 NASB - 10 if you obey the LORD your God to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and soul.

1 Corinthians 10:11 NASB - 11 Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Hebrews 10:16 NASB - 16 "THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART, AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM," He then says,

Jeremiah 31:33-34 NASB - 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

The question deals with the new covenant and the teaching of Jesus. The phrase law of Christ appears in the New Testament writings twice. But it is not said to be associated with the new covenant, unless somehow by implication that is not apparent to me. So, the Law is spiritual. But did Jesus teach the spiritual aspect or part of the Law? Was what He taught new?

Because Jesus observed and taught the Law. There are spiritual implications to everything in the Law and to everything He taught.

What Jesus taught may be seen as an application of the Law to the heart and to a person's thought life, even before any sinful acts have been committed. That is, there is sin even in a thought.

turbosixx

Was fulfill in relation to commands? Are there commands of prophecy?

Luke 4:17 And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,
18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor.
He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives,
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set free those who are oppressed,
19 To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord."
20 And He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

The new covenant does not appear to have a law associated with it.

I believe it does but not like what came before. What do we see the apostles teaching the people to observe? The old law or something different. I am not aware of anywhere the apostles taught to observe the old law. Here is what I see:
2 Thes. 2:15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

The question deals with the new covenant and the teaching of Jesus. The phrase law of Christ appears in the New Testament writings twice. But it is not said to be associated with the new covenant, unless somehow by implication that is not apparent to me. So, the Law is spiritual. But did Jesus teach the spiritual aspect or part of the Law? Was what He taught new?
The new law is not new in that we are to love God and our fellow man.

Because Jesus observed and taught the Law. There are spiritual implications to everything in the Law and to everything He taught.
I don't believe Jesus taught the law but taught it as it was intended because it's what's inside a man that counts, not just outside.

What Jesus taught may be seen as an application of the Law to the heart and to a person's thought life, even before any sinful acts have been committed. That is, there is sin even in a thought.

I agree.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Luke 4:17 And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,
18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor.
He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives,
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set free those who are oppressed,
19 To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord."
20 And He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

I believe it does but not like what came before. What do we see the apostles teaching the people to observe? The old law or something different. I am not aware of anywhere the apostles taught to observe the old law. Here is what I see:
2 Thes. 2:15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

The new law is not new in that we are to love God and our fellow man.
These commands are found in the Law.
I don't believe Jesus taught the law but taught it as it was intended because it's what's inside a man that counts, not just outside.
Please read Matthew 5:17-20 NASB.

turbosixx

These commands are found in the Law.

Please read Matthew 5:17-20 NASB.

17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

28After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, "I am thirsty."

He came to fulfill and once all was accomplished it was done away with.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

28After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, "I am thirsty."

He came to fulfill and once all was accomplished it was done away with.
I don't know that heaven and earth have passed away and I also don't know what all things had already been accomplished, but I do know these two verses together in my mind to contemplate. I don't know that it was done away with. If it was, then when was it? I believe you are saying when He died.

turbosixx

I don't know that heaven and earth have passed away and I also don't know what all things had already been accomplished, but I do know these two verses together in my mind to contemplate. I don't know that it was done away with. If it was, then when was it? I believe you are saying when He died.

Luke 24:45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

This is when I understand the old law was superseded. People, all people were taught a new and living way that could forgive sins.

As you study, notice what the inspired writers are teaching Christians (believers) to do, the old law or something different.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Luke 24:45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

This is when I understand the old law was superseded. People, all people were taught a new and living way that could forgive sins.

As you study, notice what the inspired writers are teaching Christians (believers) to do, the old law or something different.
I know about God's Law and His commands. I have no desire to teach anything different for obedience other than His commands.

Repentance and the forgiveness of sins were before Christ died. Or was not each person who believed in the old covenant saved by the blood of Jesus? Is salvation only for those who have the Spirit of God dwelling in them by faith? This would be after Christ ascended (and when the Spirit was poured out), and possibly not before.

turbosixx

Repentance and the forgiveness of sins were before Christ died. Or was not each person who believed in the old covenant saved by the blood of Jesus?

Yes, Jesus' blood cleansed the sins of those before but not before his DBR.

Heb. 11:39 And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.

Is salvation only for those who have the Spirit of God dwelling in them by faith? This would be after Christ ascended (and when the Spirit was poured out), and possibly not before.

Today, only those in Christ are saved.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes, Jesus' blood cleansed the sins of those before but not before his DBR.

Heb. 11:39 And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.

Today, only those in Christ are saved.
Do you know Romans 8:9 NASB?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The spirit is not my strongest suite. Still sorting it out.
Okay.

Peter and Paul
Peter was told by Jesus about Jesus' church before Paul was a believer.
Paul once confronted Peter.
Did Paul always observe the Law of God?

About the Spirit of God, you know the Spirit of God was poured out on Pentecost and on Gentiles later, with Peter there both times?

Did the Spirit of God dwell in believers in the Old Testament?