• other

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is your view of hypnosis?

It would depend on how reputable the person is using it and what it is being used for.

If it's being used to help a person in their battle against smoking, drinking, drug use, weight loss, etc., and it works, the person gains much. If it doesn't, they are in the same situation as previously.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I can be a helpful tool when used properly by someone trained in that, along with being a mental health professional. Those doing it like palm readers are charlatans, and I can see why some would think that is counter to Christian values.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is your view of hypnosis?

I've been told that hypnosis cannot make you do something that you don't want to do or are morally opposed to doing. So, I guess, in cases of smoking cessation or dieting, it would be a good thing. But, in other cases (such as recovering forgotten memories), I'm iffy. I've heard too many scary stories to try this myself (to see if things I've been dreaming about are repressed memories of my childhood).

1Way1Truth1Life

As a former hypnotist and now a Christian. I have to say there is nothing compatible with the Christian faith in it. It is a dance with the demonic world. It's philosophies and teachings of how and why are a thinly veiled occultic mesh in line with chakra work and other meditations but from a different angled speech. Jesus needs to be Lord of your life, not yourself or some hypnotist. The purpose used is irrelevant as in the same way occultic practices are outright banned by God. God doesn't say well if you do occultic practices in one way it's ok but another is not OK. He says they are all bad and not OK.

Word based mystic

i agree mostly with 1 way 1 truth.

7 years in occult as a youth.

putting on the mind of Christ and allowing the Holy Spirit to lead and guide you is the only healthy method of changing your soulical/mental mind or habits that the flesh needs changing.

there is soulical power in hypnotism and can be partnered with demonic influence/power.

I would never submit myself to another human poking around in my unconscious state.

when your source of comfort or discipline is other than God inspired, Spirit led discipline the end result is always decay and sensual.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I say hypnosis is bogus and should be avoided. So should ouija boards. They can open a person's mind to an alternate spirit world.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
I say hypnosis is bogus and should be avoided. So should ouija boards. They can open a person's mind to an alternate spirit world.

If a professional does it, then certain people are definitely prone to hypnosis. It's not pseudo-science. Some people (very few) are so affected by it that they can be convinced to do crazy things by the hypnotist

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It doesn't work on me, a pretty solid Christian so I suspect it is iffy.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I've been told that hypnosis cannot make you do something that you don't want to do or are morally opposed to doing. So, I guess, in cases of smoking cessation or dieting, it would be a good thing. But, in other cases (such as recovering forgotten memories), I'm iffy. I've heard too many scary stories to try this myself (to see if things I've been dreaming about are repressed memories of my childhood).

Most of the used suggestion techniques and had agendas, those few licensed counselors caused a riff over this in treatment.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
When that happens they are using what I stated above.

You may well know most psychologists do not use hypnosis, and the few psychiatrists who do are usually depth analysts, so, being that is losing ground over some 30 years, most who knew how to do it proper are gone today.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
As a former hypnotist and now a Christian. I have to say there is nothing compatible with the Christian faith in it. It is a dance with the demonic world. It's philosophies and teachings of how and why are a thinly veiled occultic mesh in line with chakra work and other meditations but from a different angled speech. Jesus needs to be Lord of your life, not yourself or some hypnotist. The purpose used is irrelevant as in the same way occultic practices are outright banned by God. God doesn't say well if you do occultic practices in one way it's ok but another is not OK. He says they are all bad and not OK.
I doubt you were a practiced analyst.
There is a big difference between a professional and someone messing around with occult.

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
This is how I understand hypnosis:
An extensive presentation of a psychoanalytic theory of hypnosis, its relationship to other altered states of consciousness, and its use in psychotherapy. The basic theoretical premise of the book is "hypnosis is a particular kind of regressive process which may be initiated either by sensori-motor ideational deprivation, or by the stimulation of an archaic relationship to the hypnotist." The hypnotic state is defined as "an induced psychological regression, issuing, in the setting of a particular regressed relationship between two people, in a relatively stable state which includes a subsystem of the ego with various degrees of control of the ego apparatuses"
Taken from: Hypnosis and related states: Psychoanalytic studies in regression.
Gill, Merton M.; Brenman, Margaret
Oxford, England: International Univer. Press. (1959). xxiv 405 pp.
I said it was old. There are new uses, although this is how I understand its use, and I have only been a student, not a practitioner in the field.
goodnight

musterion

The following is based on my own anecdotal evidence and testimonies from others, but I'd be afraid it's similar to drug use, in that it opens "doors" in the mind that we can't fully understand. I was never quite the same after doing acid only two times, many years ago. I was not saved yet but I knew something was different that I could never put my finger on. Many since have said it altered my brain chemistry (which heavy users will deny happens). Maybe that's what happened but the only word I can use is that I felt polluted. Maybe even defiled. There absolutely is a spiritual element to drug use, as Jim Morrison and others acknowledged...once those "doors of perception" are opened, who can say they're not two-way access? And if you don't know the door is even there, how do you know to close it again...assuming you can close it?

Anyway, dabbling briefly with drugs remains one of the biggest regrets of my life. I'd be very afraid hypnosis could have a similar spiritual effect.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

The following is based on my own anecdotal evidence and testimonies from others, but I'd be afraid it's similar to drug use, in that it opens "doors" in the mind that we can't fully understand. I was never quite the same after doing acid only two times, many years ago. I was not saved yet but I knew something was different that I could never put my finger on. Many since have said it altered my brain chemistry (which heavy users will deny happens). Maybe that's what happened but the only word I can use is that I felt polluted. Maybe even defiled. There absolutely is a spiritual element to drug use, as Jim Morrison and others acknowledged...once those "doors of perception" are opened, who can say they're not two-way access? And if you don't know the door is even there, how do you know to close it again...assuming you can close it?

Anyway, dabbling briefly with drugs remains one of the biggest regrets of my life. I'd be very afraid hypnosis could have a similar spiritual effect.

Agree with both of these.

nikolai_42

I read a book on Near Death Experiences by a Christian Surgeon (Maurice Rawlings - Beyond Death's Door). I had read some other books on NDE's by unbelievers (including the more popular works) and this was one of the few that would even talk about "negative" experiences. He included a chapter on LSD and its affects and was firmly convinced that it opened people up to the occult. That had always seemed to me to be a too physical explanation for something that had a very spiritual connotation, but there is something about tinkering with the brain that (at the very least) changes the way God intended us to be wired. So if we are to avoid things like contacting the dead (in part because we are dealing with something beyond our capacity and ability to contend with), I came to a similar conclusion about hypnosis and drug use. Hypnosis seems to be an easy conclusion (giving control over your mind to someone else??) but drugs are not as obvious.

That said, the followup question was where one could draw the line. What drug isn't "mind-altering"? Isn't that the very definition of a drug? That it changes your brain chemistry?