What is the Gospel?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am asking for an unambiguous articulation of the Gospel, that's all.

No what you are looking for is an articulation of THE Gospel. It comes through loud and clear given all your provocations.

Asked and answered:
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?126873-What-is-the-Gospel&p=5109670&viewfull=1#post5109670
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?119927-What-is-the-Gospel&p=4818476&viewfull=1#post4818476
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?119927-What-is-the-Gospel&p=4819150&viewfull=1#post4819150
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?119927-What-is-the-Gospel&p=5034794&viewfull=1#post5034794

You can sum up the gospel in "Jesus Christ," but then you must start adding to it.

"The Cross of Christ."

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners."

"That Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried; and that he hath been raised on the third day according to the scriptures;" 1Cor.15:3-4

Everything in the Bible points to God's objective work through Christ for the salvation of a holy people. The gospel is the declaration that that work has been objectively accomplished.

The "hope of the gospel" is something we might call the Old Testament expectation. But strictly speaking, they were waiting for the gospel to arrive. Until the historic moment, it was the Promise of the gospel.

So, there is some sort of minimum. That would be: whatever it takes to tell someone of what God has done to provide salvation for sinners through the Lord Jesus Christ. The man is responsible to believe in the gospel. However much of it he gets. Never to be satisfied with just a tiny, bite-sized piece of it, but to find a gospel-centered church that proclaims it all the time, so that he gets more of it all the time.

The first bits of the gospel-feast may not really be a life-giving meal of the Bread of Life. Perhaps he needs more just to "get it." To get his spiritual metabolism revved up and functioning. But then, no one survives on one crust of bread anyway for their years of life. That's why there's more to becoming a Christian than walking an aisle someplace, sometime. How do you even know if you are a Christian? Is it the experience of dramatic conversion? Or is it life-long sustenance on the gospel?

The gospel isn't just for that "conversion moment." It is for every day of the believer's life. It is knowledge that grows. Because as Peter wrote, we are to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." What is he? He is the center of God's revelation, which is all about the gospel. All doctrine connects to Christ and the gospel.

All Scripture speaks about Jesus Christ, for He said it quite plainly (John 5:39). Want to find THE Gospel? Answer here: Scripture...all of it. For all of Scripture will ultimately point to the fact that the gospel is about the the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, our Lord, made effectual to individuals.

Stop asking about this time and again. You have your answer. Go in peace.

AMR

glorydaz

Those pesky Calvinists. Sigh. ;)

AMR

Calvinists one day and Arminians the next. :readthis:

We even have some, "Hey diddle diddle right up the middle" folks (like me, I'm thinking).

It sure does keep us in the word of God, doesn't it?

I heard of a guy off the coast of Africa who'd found one page from a Bible. He looked until he found someone who could tell him more. From there he was led to join a group in Nigeria where some friends of mine were missionaries. He then went on.... That's the way it works. The word of God is Powerful. :)

Sonnet

I'd be interested to know which stories you think are the more fairy-tale-ish in the Old Testament. I have my own selections, like David and Goliath, or Sampson, or possibly the Tower of Babel, and some of the creation story (mainly the temptation and fall). The bulk of the creation account and the flood account do not seem so to me. They are expressed too matter-of-factly, and in line with the other events, chronologically specified--there's no "once upon a time", but a definitive list of ancestors/events with a definitive number of years/days between each one.

Creation, Tower of Babel, Balaam's donkey in particular.

But in reality the most fairy-tale-ish one of all is the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Certainly it's the most miraculous, don't you think? The question you have to answer is, "How does it apply to me?" If it's merely a fairy-tale, enjoy it and move on. If it's an historical account, which it pretty obviously is, then you kind of have to find out if there's a message/lesson to be learned and learn it. You seem to have reached this point in your searching. If there's anything that really needs answering, state it as plainly as you can, listen as intently as you can to the various answers, and make a choice. Don't sit on the fence waiting for an additional revelation from God. Even he might have a hard time one-upping the sacrifice of His own son.

I don't think the Resurrection comes across as fairy-tale like - it being rooted in historical characters with many witnesses of the event.

Derf

P.S.
Regarding Matt 24:34, there is plenty of in-house debate, and Lewis' view that Jesus could be mistaken due to his not knowing for sure, while not mine, is one option. I appreciate his point that only 2 verses later Jesus admitted He did not know the day nor the hour (Matt 24:36). There's a strong contingent here at TOL that offers the option that Jesus' prediction was not mistaken as much as overcome by events (things changed so that the fulfillment was pushed off or no longer needed). I don't really want to recommend it for you, mainly due to my inadequacies in answering the conundrum, as well as my failure to continue the dialog I started (not through lack of desire, but through lack of time and effort) but I started a thread on this very subject.

I would caution you not to get so bogged down in the controversies that you miss the message (gospel). It's unlikely that all the controversies would ever be sufficiently resolved to satisfy you in time to make a completely informed decision prior to your death. And lack of complete knowledge/understanding rarely prevents people from using the knowledge they do have to avail themselves of the benefits of technology, science, history, etc. I should add politics, and most assuredly theology as is very apparent here at TOL. :plain:

Thanks. I don't believe in the accounts of Christ because of such scriptures. Why would you suggest one shouldn't get bogged down?

Sonnet

So, is your idea of being a Christian, in-Christ, being a member of the church??? Such is useless. We congregate because we are saved, not saved because we congregate (though Jesus can meet us there).

To me? It always looks like you are circumventing Jesus. 1 Timothy 2:5 Acts 4:12

Imho (prescription): Quit avoiding Jesus. I really can't think but in my every post to you, to say this in some variation or another.

There is only one way. John 14:6 When you 'were' in a church, did you ever read the New Testament? How many times?

Thanks Lon. Have read the NT many times.

musterion

I am a non-believer interested in knowing what the good news is. I ask because, in my experience, Christians do not seem to agree on the specifics. One might point to the issue of the scope of Christ's salvific provision as being particularly relevant.

Why do you care? Isn't this thread the equivalent of you deliberately getting involved in a kids' argument over Superman vs the Hulk?

Sonnet

Explicit Scriptures provided thus far to underpin the notion that Christ did not die for all without exception: zero.

Sonnet

'Calvinist' John Piper tells unbelievers the Gospel - that 'Christ died for your sins'. The video will start playing from the relevant moment.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Cornelius was a Gentile.

Cornelius was a Gentile ( a certain kind of Gentile) worthy a blessing as per Genesis 12:3 KJV, did not hear the gospel of Christ, but was told he had to DO something (Acts 10:35 KJV) looking forward to a future salvation ("shall be saved" Acts 15:11 KJV) contrary to Paul's gospel of not by works of righteousness which we have done and present salvation (1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:2 KJV, Ephesians 2:5 KJV, Ephesians 2:8 KJV, Titus 3:5 KJV).

I don't feel that it's worth debating further.
Of course you don't. It annihilates your same gospel to the same people errors. You disapprove of things that are excellent.

Sonnet

Cornelius was a Gentile ( a certain kind of Gentile) worthy a blessing as per Genesis 12:3 KJV, did not hear the gospel of Christ, but was told he had to DO something (Acts 10:35 KJV) looking forward to a future salvation ("shall be saved" Acts 15:11 KJV) contrary to Paul's gospel of not by works of righteousness which we have done and present salvation (1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:2 KJV, Ephesians 2:5 KJV, Ephesians 2:8 KJV, Titus 3:5 KJV).

Of course you don't. It annihilates your same gospel to the same people errors. You disapprove of things that are excellent.

Romans 9
30 What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. 32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone.

I'm not 'disapproving of things that are excellent' heir - I'm just not seeing it as you do. Paul surely makes it clear that it's not by works that one is saved and rebukes his brethren for thinking so.

glorydaz

Explicit Scriptures provided thus far to underpin the notion that Christ did not die for all without exception: zero.

You should go engage Beloved57. You're on the same page.

What exactly are you claiming He died for everyone for?

That all would have eternal life?
That all would have their sins forgiven?
That all could come freely before the throne of Grace?
That all would be saved if they believe?

What exactly are you claiming?

Sonnet

You should go engage Beloved57. You're on the same page.

?

What exactly are you claiming He died for everyone for?

John 3:14-16

That all would have eternal life?
No
That all would have their sins forgiven?
No
That all could come freely before the throne of Grace?
?
That all would be saved if they believe?
Acts 16:31

Explicit scriptures that say Christ died for less than all: zero.

Sonnet

1 John 2:2
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

John 3:14-16
Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Hebrews 2:9
But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

Titus 2:11
For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.

1 Timothy 2:3-6
This is good, and pleases God our Saviour, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.

Sonnet

The Gospel according to Paul:

1. Christ died for our sins
2. He was buried
3. He was raised on the third day

1 Corinthians 15:1-5
Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

The Gospel he reminds the Corinthians of is the Gospel he preached (past tense) to them, which they received (as unbelievers - this being what they received). Paul explicitly says: 'By this gospel you are saved' and then recapitulates it.

Certainly, Paul allows the reader of such words to understand that the unbeliever is included in the scope of his use of 'our'. If Paul thought otherwise then he would have spent ink saying so.

Sonnet

What is the Gospel?

Calvinist John Piper to unbelievers: 'Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Righteous One, died for your sins' (Video: 'The 6 minute Gospel')

Calvinist Ask Mr. Religion: No pastor must stand in the pulpit and declare to all present that "Jesus died for each and every one of you present here today." This is an abomination of what Scripture teaches... (#1311)

The thread is clearly apposite.

musterion

The Gospel according to Paul:

1. Christ died for our sins
2. He was buried
3. He was raised on the third day

1 Corinthians 15:1-5
Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

The Gospel he reminds the Corinthians of is the Gospel he preached (past tense) to them, which they received (as unbelievers - this being what they received). Paul explicitly says: 'By this gospel you are saved' and then recapitulates it.

Certainly, Paul allows the reader of such words to understand that the unbeliever is included in the scope of his use of 'our'. If Paul thought otherwise then he would have spent ink saying so.

What is the Gospel?

Calvinist John Piper to unbelievers: 'Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Righteous One, died for your sins' (Video: 'The 6 minute Gospel')

Calvinist Ask Mr. Religion: No pastor must stand in the pulpit and declare to all present that "Jesus died for each and every one of you present here today." This is an abomination of what Scripture teaches... (#1311)

The thread is clearly apposite.

Yes, and?

The real point is, are you looking to be saved, or not?

Because if you've no intention of it, what is this thread really for?

Sonnet

Yes, and?

The real point is, are you looking to be saved, or not?

Because if you've no intention of it, what is this thread really for?

The OP says:

What is the Gospel?

I am a non-believer interested in knowing what the good news is. I ask because, in my experience, Christians do not seem to agree on the specifics. One might point to the issue of the scope of Christ's salvific provision as being particularly relevant.

If the Gospel isn't clearly defined then, surely, the non-believer may legitimately ask, 'Believe in what?'