What is the Gospel?

glorydaz

Nothing explicit here. But even if you are right Abraham spoke with God...and faith is still required.

Right, nothing explicit at all. :rolleyes:

You are quite the big talker, aren't ya? To come up with the brilliant statement that Abraham spoke with God and faith is still required. Wow, I am impressed.:drum:

Sonnet

Right, nothing explicit at all. :rolleyes:

Ok.

You are quite the big talker, aren't ya? To come up with the brilliant statement that Abraham spoke with God and faith is still required. Wow, I am impressed.:drum:

It the three are one then I guess Abraham was cognizant of something extraordinary that wasn't easily explained away.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That you think I could be a troll is saddening.
You're on an anonymous internet discussion board.

And if you're not a troll, then you're already a believer, because nobody who doesn't believe, would spend this much time thinking about whether or not they can live with believing Easter is nonfiction.

Sonnet

You're on an anonymous internet discussion board.

And if you're not a troll, then you're already a believer, because nobody who doesn't believe, would spend this much time thinking about whether or not they can live with believing Easter is nonfiction.

I hear your point.

Last edited:

Sonnet

If enough people here would like this thread to close then I'm fine with that. Please say if you feel that way.

glorydaz

You are refusing to believe in Paul's summation of the essential elements of the Gospel and you will not tell the world 'Christ died for our sins' as Paul did.

I believe Paul just fine.

Nope, I'm refusing to give credence to the preaching of an unbeliever.

Paul didn't tell the "world" any such thing...he was speaking to the saints in Corinth who had already believed. The word "OUR" actually does mean something. Paul doesn't use the term OUR when he is speaking to unbelievers.

Paul was sent by the Lord to preach the Gospel..."to open their eyes...that they may receive forgiveness of sins.." They receive forgiveness of sins when they believe. Not before.

Acts 26:15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. 16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.​

To the brethren and the churches....Who gave Himself for OUR SINS. Those who believe have REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD....the forgiveness of sins.

Galatians 1:1-4
Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia: 3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:​

Eph. 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Colossians 1:13-14
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:​

glorydaz

If enough people here would like this thread to close then I'm fine with that. Please say if you feel that way.

Like most threads....they are engaged in because of the topic. Not because of the person who starts them. In this case, the Gospel is the topic, and it's one most of us never tire of discussing.

glorydaz

Ok.

It the three are one then I guess Abraham was cognizant of something extraordinary that wasn't easily explained away.

God has a way of getting our attention. Think of how old Abraham was before God revealed Himself to him. That should give great hope to those who are uncertain about whether God exists.

glorydaz

That Christians can't agree whether Christ died for all or not is a crisis I'd say - and should be dealt with.

That's just plain silly, and overly dramtic.

Your refusal to accept what has been so clearly stated is what needs to be dealt with. Christ shed his blood so that all could have access to God's Grace, and the Free Gift of eternal life. There is nothing difficult about that. Derf summed it up perfectly, and we all agree. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.

None but a worker, like God's UNtruth, says otherwise, and that is the other Gospel Paul was talking about.

We can't earn God's Gift of Salvation. We need only believe to receive.

Sonnet

I believe Paul just fine.

You certainly do not. Paul explicitly says: 'By this Gospel you are saved' and proceeds to re-announce it. You deny the Gospel that Paul states is the Gospel.

Nope, I'm refusing to give credence to the preaching of an unbeliever.

Believers make exactly same argument.

Paul didn't tell the "world" any such thing...he was speaking to the saints in Corinth who had already believed. The word "OUR" actually does mean something. Paul doesn't use the term OUR when he is speaking to unbelievers.

You are going to extraordinary lengths to limit the Gospel. Where did Paul ever expend as much ink as you. He simply described 'Christ died for our sins' as the Gospel, preached it and said that the Corinthians believed it.

Paul was sent by the Lord to preach the Gospel..."to open their eyes...that they may receive forgiveness of sins.." They receive forgiveness of sins when they believe. Not before.

Acts 26:15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. 16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.​

Your point is what?

To the brethren and the churches....Who gave Himself for OUR SINS. Those who believe have REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD....the forgiveness of sins.

Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia: 3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:​

Eph. 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:​

Stating that Christ died for Christians does not prove the limitation you impose.

And you are, de facto, asserting two Gospels. One you speak to believers and one you speak to unbelievers. As I said before, Paul allows for those in the church who have 'believed in vain' - (1 Cor. 15:2) - and proceeds to tell them the Gospel.

Sonnet

1 John 2:2, John 1:29, 1 Timothy 2:4-6, Titus 2:11, John 3:14-16, Hebrews 2:9 and others.

How many scriptures explicitly say that Christ died for less than all?

Last edited:

Sonnet

Paul didn't tell the "world" any such thing...

v.11 Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

The Corinthians, Paul says, 'believed' what he preached. 'Believed' is past tense, so it is what was preached that they believed - and we are explicitly told what was preached. For some reason you only have an issue with v.3 - and not with the rest.

anonymousTruth

We can't earn God's Gift of Salvation. We need only believe to receive.

I feel the need to respond, as this idea of a "free gift of salvation" bothers me. As a former christian, I had been taught this all my life but now that I look back on it. It just doesn't make sense.

Is not the act of believing an action that precedes and is a prerequisite to Salvation?
How is that not earning one's Salvation?

Furthermore, isn't more than belief required? Repentance also must precede Salvation.

If Calvinism is true, then salvation is God's free gift to the elect. Otherwise, I don't see how the Gospel is not just Salvation by works( Belief and repentance through faith).

Right Divider

Body part
I feel the need to respond, as this idea of a "free gift of salvation" bothers me. As a former christian, I had been taught this all my life but now that I look back on it. It just doesn't make sense.

Is not the act of believing an action that precedes and is a prerequisite to Salvation?
How is that not earning one's Salvation?

Furthermore, isn't more than belief required? Repentance also must precede Salvation.

If Calvinism is true, then salvation is God's free gift to the elect. Otherwise, I don't see how the Gospel is not just Salvation by works( Belief and repentance through faith).
A non-christian knocking what the Bible teaches. What a surprise.

Remain in sin and death of you like, that's your choice.

Rom 6:23 (AKJV/PCE)
(6:23) For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.