What is the Gospel?

glorydaz

This is from the Catechism:

653 The truth of Jesus' divinity is confirmed by his Resurrection. He had said: "When you have lifted up the Son of man, then you will know that I am he." The Resurrection of the crucified one shows that he was truly "I AM", the Son of God and God himself. So St. Paul could declare to the Jews: "What God promised to the fathers, this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus; as also it is written in the second psalm, 'You are my Son, today I have begotten you.'"​

Is this, in your estimation, "close but no cigar," or is it spot on? Because it looks spot on, to me.

Looks good, but it also proves His death is equally as important as His resurrection. We call it the DBR (Death, burial, and Resurrection). That is the work of the Cross. He died, was buried and rose again. You can't speak of one without the other. That would be the same as claiming He was God but not man.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Romans 10:9 (KJV)

[9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart Easter, thou shalt be saved. ]

1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

[14 And if Easter is made up, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.]

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Looks good, but it also proves His death is equally as important as His resurrection. We call it the DBR (Death, burial, and Resurrection). That is the work of the Cross. He died, was buried and rose again. You can't speak of one without the other. That would be the same as claiming He was God but not man.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church proves your point? :chuckle:

Easter is the gate. Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

If you come in through the gate, you're in. Of course all that other stuff is true also, Easter's the hub though. Easter's the crown. Easter's the sine qua non. 1st Corinthians 15:21-22 (KJV)

heir

TOL Subscriber
Since Peter is talking to a Gentile then I don't quite follow you.
Not all Gentiles in the Bible are the same. Cornelius was a blesser (Genesis 12:3 KJV) and as such his prayers and his alms came up for a memorial before God (Acts 10:1-4 KJV).
In any case, the full account of his message has:

The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all 37That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached; 38How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. 39And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree: 40Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly; 41Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead. 42And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. 43To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
What Peter preached:

Acts 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

This is contrary to what Paul preached

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Peter preached the gospel of the kingdom to Cornelius’ house:

Acts 10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all

Acts 10:37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Peter delivers the murder indictment, but that God raised Christ up just as he preached in Acts 2 and 3

Acts 10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

Acts 10:40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

Acts 10:41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

And it's all about the name (Matthew 16:15-18 KJV, the book of John) and please notice that through His name whosoever believeth on Him shall receive remission of sins. That is consistent with the gospel of the kingdom.

Acts 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Peter's usual order of business was to deliver a murder indictment and preach a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins (not forgiven all trespasses like Paul (Colossians 2:13 KJV) and in so doing they shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:36-38 KJV), but before he could finish his usual, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Acts 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

my note:They were astonished at what happens because it was out of order of usual sequence as to when the Holy Ghost fell on them, but what does Peter do? He continues to preach what he knows and that's water baptism in the name of the Lord.

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

He doesn't tell them the good news of our salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV); that "Christ died for our sins" as Peter didn't even know that good news at that time. That good news was a mystery (Romans 16:25-26 KJV) and Paul tells us why (1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV). Peter didn't tell them that what he was preaching was the gospel "by which also ye are saved" as Paul declared to us in 1 Corinthians 15:2 KJV.

Peter preached a future salvation for himself and those of Corne's house in accordance with the gospel of the circumcision ("shall be saved" Acts 2:20-21 KJV, "should be saved" Acts 2:47 KJV, "we shall be saved, even as they" Acts 15:11 KJV, 1 Peter 1:9-13 KJV ). So, Cornelius and his house heard what Peter preached, but there is no gospel of Christ to be believed there as the church which is His Body is NOT in the picture.

Sonnet

Please stop. It is looking desperate. You cannot possibly understand these sacred matters as a non-believer. I cannot argue you into the Kingdom. Call upon the name of the Lord and be saved. Then, let's talk.

There are very few passages the anti-Calvinist may appeal to that have not been asked and answered, to wit:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...Devil-do-it!&p=5087127&viewfull=1#post5087127

AMR

It's not desperation AMR and this isn't a forum that requires me to be a believer. A quick internet search reveals a similar argument made by a professed Christian - one Kevin L. Moore. I quote:

Infants and young children are not evil (Deut. 1:39; Matt. 18:1-5; 19:13-14; Luke 18:15-17; 1 Cor. 14:20). In Mark 9:33-37 Jesus teaches his disciples an important lesson about meekness and humility by taking a small child in his arms and saying, “Whoever receives one of these children in my name receives me; and whoever receives me, not only receives me but the one having sent me.” Then in Mark 10:13-16 the Lord seizes another opportunity to impart a similar object lesson. Upset by the disciples having rebuked certain ones for bringing young children to be blessed by him, Jesus says, “Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them, for of such is the kingdom of God. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a child, by no means will enter into it.” The Lord obviously considers children to be the epitome of humility, eagerness to learn, receptivity, trust, innocence, and spiritual purity.​

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My reasons for not yet being received into the Church are personal, filial, and not theological. Is that all right with you?
No, they are because you would not be accepted into full communion for the "personal" reasons you leave unstated. So, you are but a sad man lurking at the fringes of an apostate church wondering why with all your love for their views they just cannot see their way clear to admit you. Sigh.

AMR

Sonnet

The difference is that the Reformed or the Calvinist will not give one iota of credit to himself, whether explicitly or implicitly. It is the unstated implicit assumption not being brought to light and examined that underlies the Arminian's view that they possess the moral liberty to choose wisely and be regenerated (quickened). They will deny they were dead men walking up until the moment they were given ears to hear by God. They will cling to the idea that they indeed are in possession of all the moral faculties to choose to obey God and believe. God's role in all of this captaining of their own souls is but to woo, cajole, plead, and be long-suffering until they come to their senses and choose wisely. God respects their libertarian free will so much that He will not act to restore their corrupted state of affairs. They must do that of their own libertarian free will.

That, Sonnet, is the "gloss" in question not examined by those that claim they made a decision for Christ, while their neighbor did not. I do not know how much more clear I can be in stating the issue. Unless God first quickens (regenerates, born again) the unbeliever, who is but completely passive in the quickening, such that he or she is now made active and irrevocably not able to not believe, none will be saved. Of course, I will never claim all Arminians are not saved, only that the average Arminian is simply confused about the state of affairs that preceded their re-birth.

This is a non-sequitur. I asked you:

This 'glossing over' - how is it any different from the inability to explain you profess yourself?

Essentially, you are saying their inability to explain this is worse than your inability to explain the obverse - how men are held accountable in the face of God's sovereignty.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is a non-sequitur. I asked you:

This 'glossing over' - how is it any different from the inability to explain you profess yourself?

Essentially, you are saying their inability to explain this is worse than your inability to explain the obverse - how men are held accountable in the face of God's sovereignty.
God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are clear teachings from Scripture. Unlike yourself and others, I do not see the need to reconcile friends.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...this isn't a forum that requires me to be a believer.
No it is not. Your duty is to call upon the name of the Lord and be saved. Do your duty. What is stopping you?

Say it with me:

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Romans 10:9
that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 10:13
For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Believe it. Live and do this.

AMR

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
No, they are because you would not be accepted into full communion for the "personal" reasons you leave unstated. So, you are but a sad man lurking at the fringes of an apostate church wondering why with all your love for their views they just cannot see their way clear to admit you. Sigh.

AMR

This is a post of pride and ignorance.

Sonnet is mopping the floor up with you and I wanted to keep my mouth shut... but your lame cop out to Nhilio and Sonnet in one night called for a notice.

Either Scripture up and defend why instead of being Christ and Anti Christ Centric... you again used the whole “Anti-Calvinism” defense... or admit you can’t handle Sonnets scriptural heat.

You honestly should be metaphorically pistol whipped for talking to @Nhilio like that! He takes crap all over this site and simply keeps on focusing on Christ’s Ressurection.

Either Scripture up and answer why Sonnet ... a “weak in faith... non-believer” is ripping your scripture usage to shreds and holding the line against Calvinism... or admit your defeat.

Sonnet had the Scriptural upper hand the moment you diverted to his faith to avoid answering his justly cited passages of scripture.

Blackbirdking said Jesus was superior to scripture and many here bashed the hell out of him for it... so let’s take Jesus out of it like you just did to Sonnet and Nhilio and observe that you had your scriptural butt handed to you by an agnostic!

I still Love you... but you deserved that for pulling that garbage!

Not... Cool... at... ALL!

Sonnet

God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are clear teachings from Scripture. Unlike yourself and others, I do not see the need to reconcile friends.

AMR

You were using the Arminian's non-explanation as a reason to reject the theology - but such an argument entails doing the same with yours.

The Arminian could write as you do: God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are clear teachings from Scripture. Unlike yourself and others, I do not see the need to reconcile friends.

Danoh

It's not desperation AMR and this isn't a forum that requires me to be a believer. A quick internet search reveals a similar argument made by a professed Christian - one Kevin L. Moore. I quote:

Infants and young children are not evil (Deut. 1:39; Matt. 18:1-5; 19:13-14; Luke 18:15-17; 1 Cor. 14:20). In Mark 9:33-37 Jesus teaches his disciples an important lesson about meekness and humility by taking a small child in his arms and saying, “Whoever receives one of these children in my name receives me; and whoever receives me, not only receives me but the one having sent me.” Then in Mark 10:13-16 the Lord seizes another opportunity to impart a similar object lesson. Upset by the disciples having rebuked certain ones for bringing young children to be blessed by him, Jesus says, “Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them, for of such is the kingdom of God. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a child, by no means will enter into it.” The Lord obviously considers children to be the epitome of humility, eagerness to learn, receptivity, trust, innocence, and spiritual purity.​

Scripture reminded the Israelites to "train up a child in the way he should go" (via their Schema, Deut..6) in the hope that "when he is old(er) he will not depart from it" Prov. 22:6

Reminding Pastor Timothy of that time in his childhood, the Apostle Paul writes...

2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

In other words, because children do not know right from wrong; they require instruction on both.

That they might come to know the difference between the two "by reason of use" Heb. 5:14.

However, that does not mean they are "innocent" or "pure."

It means they do not know right from wrong, not that they do not do right and wrong.

It means they do not know right from wrong.

(And that moment of first knowing the difference, is different for each child).

Were they "innocent" or "pure" Christ would not have had to die.

But He died because all humanity is precious to The Father, 1 Peter 3:20; 2 Peter 3:9, etc.

And children also fit in said "precious" category.

But especially children.

Why?

Because those "children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil," are, after they are born, not counted as being in rebellion against God until that point wherein they are able not only to discern between good and evil, but to knowingly choose between the two.

Until then, said child has not knowingly and willingly gone against "the purpose of God" as to this issue - "Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth" 1 Timothy 2:4.

For just as with the issue of Election, Romans 9:11 (when properly understood) salvation is also not only "Not of works, lest any man should boast" Ephesians 2:9, but said child's works, are not yet even an issue with God, because the little tyke does not yet know the difference between right and wrong.

In short, if we are so cut a break by God that
"when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly" Romans 5:6, you know He is going to "suffer the little ones" even more so.

I, for one, do not mind in the least, His "respect of persons" where said little ones are concerned.

Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 18:14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

Thus why - Romans 5:8 - Amen!

:)

Danoh

You were using the Arminian's non-explanation as a reason to reject the theology - but such an argument entails doing the same with yours.

The Arminian could write as you do: God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are clear teachings from Scripture. Unlike yourself and others, I do not see the need to reconcile friends.

There is another view.

One that is neither Armenian, nor Calvinist.

The "neither/nor" view.

Which basically holds that man chooses to believe or not, at which point God chooses to save, or not.

Whom does He choose to save?

He chooses "to save them" that choose to "believe" 1 Cor. 1:21; Rom. 6:14.

Election; which is a different issue is also the same way.

God elected to elect (chose to choose) Moses unto the Service of God, and Moses in turn, elected or chose, to go with God on the matter, Exodus 3.

Just as when God elected to wipe out Israel and start over with Moses, but Moses elected instead, to go against God on His decision, Deut. 32.

Acts 17:11,12.

Sonnet

No it is not. Your duty is to call upon the name of the Lord and be saved. Do your duty. What is stopping you?

Say it with me:

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Romans 10:9
that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 10:13
For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Believe it. Live and do this.

AMR

I would just be guessing.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
This is all ancient history. What is your trouble with the Catechism of the Catholic Church, first published in ~1994?
There is no bait. Why aren't you Orthodox?
I'm not Catholic. I don't declare that I am, either.
I'm not Catholic. I am currently a non-Catholic non-Protestant Christian. That's not an option in the profile settings, right?
I'm not Catholic. The Catholic views are simply the most compelling of all the Christian traditions. The Catholic Church happens to also trace her roots all the way back to Jesus Christ. Reformationist ecclesial traditions trace back to Halloween 500 years ago. In Germany. :down:
Bingo. Inasmuch as "actual" means "in body," which I am not. I am a Catholic on the way to full communion, like I said, a non-Catholic non-Protestant Christian.
Like how you really really like the Reformationist views.
My reasons for not yet being received into the Church are personal, filial, and not theological. Is that all right with you?
No, they are because you would not be accepted into full communion for the "personal" reasons you leave unstated.
What?
So, you are but a sad man lurking at the fringes of an apostate church wondering why with all your love for their views they just cannot see their way clear to admit you. Sigh.
:AMR: What?

Why aren't you Orthodox?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Gospel basically means "good news"
Right. And of all the Good News contained within the Christian Bible, of all the Good News that the Christian faith believes and preaches, the leading edge of that Good News, the tip of the Christian Gospel's arrow, is Easter. It's the flashing neon sign on the side of life's highway, The Lord Jesus Christ is risen! Mt28:6KJV Mk16:6KJV Lk24:6KJV

All the above is my own view. So who cares what some anonymous poster on an anonymous internet forum thinks? Nobody, and nobody should.

But my view has support found not only in Sacred Scripture itself (Ro10:9KJV 1Co15:14KJV), but also in the Church's authorized teachings promulgated by the Church's teaching authority, the college of bishops (1Ti3:1KJV). So it's not really that it's my view---this is the Christian view.

The Gospel is Easter.