What is the Gospel?

Derf

Right. And of all the Good News contained within the Christian Bible, of all the Good News that the Christian faith believes and preaches, the leading edge of that Good News, the tip of the Christian Gospel's arrow, is Easter. It's the flashing neon sign on the side of life's highway, The Lord Jesus Christ is risen! Mt28:6KJV Mk16:6KJV Lk24:6KJV

All the above is my own view. So who cares what some anonymous poster on an anonymous internet forum thinks? Nobody, and nobody should.

But my view has support found not only in Sacred Scripture itself (Ro10:9KJV 1Co15:14KJV), but also in the Church's authorized teachings promulgated by the Church's teaching authority, the college of bishops (1Ti3:1KJV). So it's not really that it's my view---this is the Christian view.

The Gospel is Easter.

Why? Why is Easter the good news?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Thanks for stopping by, but I am disinclined to seriously consider the words of a man who takes pride in sporting the avatar of a sadistic rapist and thug. Below the fold for you now.

AMR

Spoiler
Looking at external things and missing the heart behind them is well written about in scripture... (John 8:15) so... you have further validated my concerns...

But... if I must... I’ll say it just because...

Again... all you have is an attack on the avatar.

A Clockwork Orange represents the Wickedness of Society Collective and how a sole young man is infected with that Wickedness to the point of becoming its champion.

After his very friends turn on him... he is incarcerated and falsely claims belief in God and potential rehabilitation.

He is then further selected to take part in an exterior method of Behavior modification... Which is nothing more than “aversion therapy”. It is representative of Religious Mantra and External works that society judges by.

Within Alex De’ Larges Heart... still lies knowledge of the Religious Teachings of the Church, Societal Wickedness, Internal Wickedness and His horrible Crimes.

The pacifist group meets in the very place where Alex brutalized a man’s wife and made the Man wheelchair bound.

Alex depends on the man, unknowingly, and because of his thirst for revenge and lack of compassion... he brings Alex back to the place of self awareness through torture and vengeance.

Alex is then left to be brought into society, but with an elevated place, because he now masters false religious understanding, violence, vengeance and insincerity.

He is left facing his true self and embraced Wickedness at the very end of the movie. The book is far worse.
But the point is that religion of man, societal conformity within that religion and insincere beliefs of behavior modification cannot and will not change the heart of a man.

Only Divine intervention of Jesus and sincere divorce from societal expectations... (including brick and mortar church dependency) with a genuine knowledge of self and sincere surrender to Jesus Christ... can bring about inner peace and true motive adjustment.

Religion and Herd mentality, infused with enormous amounts of Hypocrisy is the thrust of the world collective... and left to attempt to sort out self with any of these means always ends in catastrophe... lies and inability to be genuinely positive and in communion with God.

Man embraces evil and creates artificial good on a daily basis that fosters said... global infection of evil.

If you don’t understand the depth of this... than there is a good chance that you may be inviting one or more of the false methods of “rehabilitation” into your personal creeds.

All my best to you... and sincere expression that you are grasping at “straws” to defend Calvinism, when Sonnet needs people to sincerely encourage him to walk towards Jesus ... Alone...

And AMR... Sonnet has used scripture at every turn to obliterate your long winded arguments and he has done it sincerely and with respect.

He has also been genuine about scriptural context while you attempt to adjust it.

You can write everyone off that does so with cheap excuses and externally Motivated judgment... but the true heart of the matter remains...

Sola Christo (PERIOD)

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
There is another view.

One that is neither Armenian, nor Calvinist.

The "neither/nor" view.

Which basically holds that man chooses to believe or not, at which point God chooses to save, or not.

Whom does He choose to save?

He chooses "to save them" that choose to "believe" 1 Cor. 1:21; Rom. 6:14.

Election; which is a different issue is also the same way.

God elected to elect (chose to choose) Moses unto the Service of God, and Moses in turn, elected or chose, to go with God on the matter, Exodus 3.

Just as when God elected to wipe out Israel and start over with Moses, but Moses elected instead, to go against God on His decision, Deut. 32.

Acts 17:11,12.

:thumb:

Sonnet

Not all Gentiles in the Bible are the same. Cornelius was a blesser (Genesis 12:3 KJV) and as such his prayers and his alms came up for a memorial before God (Acts 10:1-4 KJV). What Peter preached:

Acts 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

This is contrary to what Paul preached

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Peter preached the gospel of the kingdom to Cornelius’ house:

Acts 10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all

Acts 10:37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Peter delivers the murder indictment, but that God raised Christ up just as he preached in Acts 2 and 3

Acts 10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

Acts 10:40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

Acts 10:41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

And it's all about the name (Matthew 16:15-18 KJV, the book of John) and please notice that through His name whosoever believeth on Him shall receive remission of sins. That is consistent with the gospel of the kingdom.

Acts 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Peter's usual order of business was to deliver a murder indictment and preach a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins (not forgiven all trespasses like Paul (Colossians 2:13 KJV) and in so doing they shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:36-38 KJV), but before he could finish his usual, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Acts 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

my note:They were astonished at what happens because it was out of order of usual sequence as to when the Holy Ghost fell on them, but what does Peter do? He continues to preach what he knows and that's water baptism in the name of the Lord.

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

He doesn't tell them the good news of our salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV); that "Christ died for our sins" as Peter didn't even know that good news at that time. That good news was a mystery (Romans 16:25-26 KJV) and Paul tells us why (1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV). Peter didn't tell them that what he was preaching was the gospel "by which also ye are saved" as Paul declared to us in 1 Corinthians 15:2 KJV.

Peter preached a future salvation for himself and those of Corne's house in accordance with the gospel of the circumcision ("shall be saved" Acts 2:20-21 KJV, "should be saved" Acts 2:47 KJV, "we shall be saved, even as they" Acts 15:11 KJV, 1 Peter 1:9-13 KJV ). So, Cornelius and his house heard what Peter preached, but there is no gospel of Christ to be believed there as the church which is His Body is NOT in the picture.

Cornelius was a Gentile. I don't feel that it's worth debating further.

Sonnet

Right. And of all the Good News contained within the Christian Bible, of all the Good News that the Christian faith believes and preaches, the leading edge of that Good News, the tip of the Christian Gospel's arrow, is Easter. It's the flashing neon sign on the side of life's highway, The Lord Jesus Christ is risen! Mt28:6KJV Mk16:6KJV Lk24:6KJV

All the above is my own view. So who cares what some anonymous poster on an anonymous internet forum thinks? Nobody, and nobody should.

But my view has support found not only in Sacred Scripture itself (Ro10:9KJV 1Co15:14KJV), but also in the Church's authorized teachings promulgated by the Church's teaching authority, the college of bishops (1Ti3:1KJV). So it's not really that it's my view---this is the Christian view.

The Gospel is Easter.

Without doubt - it is a powerful message.

Sonnet

[MENTION=16283]Sonnet[/MENTION], assurances of salvation come from the understanding of scripture. But there is the danger of carnality taking hold of a believer and robbing him of his salvation. A believer can never lose his salvation but he can lose his assurance of it. He also loses his testimony, ministry and future rewards in the kingdom.

Similarly with the naked native who gave up his tribe’s idol worship to see God send him someone presenting him with gospel by which he can be saved, the believer that moves on from the milk doctrines of the Bible into the meat doctrine will increase in his assurance of salvation.

Paul started the church of Corinth 3-5 years prior to his letter to them where he scolds them telling them that by now they should have become teachers of the word. But they had become carnal. In Hebrews the writer (not Paul) teaches the same principle that the one who should be handling the meat of the Bible had need to relearn the milk. What we are debating with Calvin’s theology is part of the milk, it is not the meat of scripture. And the antimony of man’s responsibility in light of God’s divine sovereignty is just that, an antimony. It can not be forced into a logical conclusion as the Calvinist tries to do by limiting the atonement nor by Arminianism by placing all of it upon men’s works. Nor can it be the Calminian view where God foresees men and elects based upon the foreknowledge of who was worthy enough to believe the gospel. In my opinion the forcing upon scripture man’s reasoning leads to carnality in the believer which is why neither camp can see the whole counsel of the word of God and it is why the Calminian does not come to a full understanding either.

Edit: the time it takes from spiritual babyhood to the full grown spiritually adult person spoken of in First Corinthians is between 3-5 years. Failure to reach adulthood will lead to carnality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems about right - though not sure you have the Arminian stance correct which would be synergistic rather than man-centric I believe.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Only Divine intervention of Jesus and sincere divorce from societal expectations... (including brick and mortar church dependency) with a genuine knowledge of self and sincere surrender to Jesus Christ... can bring about inner peace and true motive adjustment.

Sola Christo (PERIOD)

Romans 5:6 KJV:
For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly

Sonnet

Those in reference above are "the believing ones" not each and every person who has lived or will live. Those that believe are the one's made to believe by God. Not all are so made to believe, therefore these verses cannot be teaching some universal salvation doctrine. "All" means from every stripe of mankind, not each and every man. Do not bother to "deal with the rest" until you have come to grips with these points. Even better, have the decency of exhibiting some trepidation in your claims "thus saith the Lord", for as a non-believer you cannot possibly make such assertions. Try to season your words with "I think it may mean this" or "Perhaps the meaning is..." and so on. For how can you, having no eyes to see, nor ears to hear, presume to teach anyone what saith the Lord? :AMR:

Do you not think that if God had meant every 'stripe of mankind' He couldn't have said so explicitly?
Those scriptures are explicit and a reminder that not one can be found that limits the scope.

Paul reminds brothers and sisters of the teachings of Scripture. This is one of the means by which the faithful are stirred up through warnings and persevere in the faith (the redemptive ends of God who has ordained these means.) Obviously, very deniable. Again, please refrain from attempting to instruct me on matters of the faith until you can claim to actually possess the faith of which is in front of us.

AMR

The faithful?

1 Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. 2 For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. 3 Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4 Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

This is not a message for the faithful and Paul continues to address such unsaved brethren:

5 Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them.” 6 But the righteousness that is by faith says: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 “or ‘Who will descend into the deep?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Maybe I misunderstood you?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Seems about right - though not sure you have the Arminian stance correct which would be synergistic rather than man-centric I believe.

The synergy falls apart upon deeper consideration. Paul said to fall from grace was seeking sanctification by keeping the law. In other words living under grace is not based upon doing in order to be blessed but is based upon faith living meaning because we are already in possession of eternal life therefore do. To claim that man must keep himself in the grace of God is a mixture of grace and works. It cannot be grace and works,it’s either grace or works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glorydaz

This is a post of pride and ignorance.

Sonnet is mopping the floor up with you and I wanted to keep my mouth shut... but your lame cop out to Nhilio and Sonnet in one night called for a notice.

Either Scripture up and defend why instead of being Christ and Anti Christ Centric... you again used the whole “Anti-Calvinism” defense... or admit you can’t handle Sonnets scriptural heat.

You honestly should be metaphorically pistol whipped for talking to @Nhilio like that! He takes crap all over this site and simply keeps on focusing on Christ’s Ressurection.

Either Scripture up and answer why Sonnet ... a “weak in faith... non-believer” is ripping your scripture usage to shreds and holding the line against Calvinism... or admit your defeat.

Sonnet had the Scriptural upper hand the moment you diverted to his faith to avoid answering his justly cited passages of scripture.

Blackbirdking said Jesus was superior to scripture and many here bashed the hell out of him for it... so let’s take Jesus out of it like you just did to Sonnet and Nhilio and observe that you had your scriptural butt handed to you by an agnostic!

I still Love you... but you deserved that for pulling that garbage!

Not... Cool... at... ALL!

In fact, it is exactly what Nhilio needs to hear. What is NOT COOL is for you to insert yourself by protecting what Nhilio is saying instead of rebuking him yourself. Nhilio takes crap because he is humble enough to listen, and it's the listening that may actually get him to understand that he's straddling a fence.

You really have no right to attack anyone, since you ran away from the correction you were being given. Is that your ploy...to get others to run away like you did, and then be able to sneak back and play the great defender? You're the one who needs the pistol whipping, but you won't stay long enough to take it.

It's not a pretty sight at all. :nono:

glorydaz

Thanks for stopping by, but I am disinclined to seriously consider the words of a man who takes pride in sporting the avatar of a sadistic rapist and thug. Below the fold for you now.

AMR

But he must be SEEN. He must stand out. He must be the center of everyone's attention.

The Great Defender of the Lost. The Great Protector of the Weak. Gotta advertise what ya think ya got, brother. ;)

glorydaz

God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are clear teachings from Scripture. Unlike yourself and others, I do not see the need to reconcile friends.

AMR

It's God's sovereignty and man's duty to choose God that are really at issue here, though, wouldn't you agree?

I believe there is a great friendship between those two....reconciled to God by Christ's death, and man's call to "BE reconciled" by the Gospel.

I'm a friendly foe on this point...neither coming in from one camp or the other. Can there be no middle ground between the two? I say reconciliation is that middle ground.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
In fact, it is exactly what Nhilio needs to hear. What is NOT COOL is for you to insert yourself by protecting what Nhilio is saying instead of rebuking him yourself. Nhilio takes crap because he is humble enough to listen, and it's the listening that may actually get him to understand that he's straddling a fence.

You really have no right to attack anyone, since you ran away from the correction you were being given. Is that your ploy...to get others to run away like you did, and then be able to sneak back and play the great defender? You're the one who needs the pistol whipping, but you won't stay long enough to take it.

It's not a pretty sight at all. :nono:

I appreciate your rebuke... see a little need for you to take your own writing to heart... and always need correction.

All my best to you...

EE

glorydaz

It says he was a Gentile.

And Heir explained what kind of Gentile he was. Not this...

Eph. 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: 19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.​

But this....

Acts 10:1-2
1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, 2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

Acts 10:22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.​

Because of this....

Genesis 12:3
3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.​

You really should give Heir more than a cursory look.