What is the Gospel?

musterion

Talk about the delusional one.

The BIBLE clearly shows that Mathias was the replacement for Judas Iscariot, but somehow the great Nihilo knows better.

Indeed, that disqualified anyone like you.

You do realize that both of those man-made organizations disagree on sound doctrine with BOTH rejecting sound Pauline doctrine.

Ah, the great myths of Catholicism believed by a billion.

Wow.... "precious popes".... you need a lesson in TRUE history about some of these "precious pope".

Adulterers, liars, thieves, buggerers, torturers, murderers...but that holy chain from ol' St. Peter is unbroken!

musterion

Peter never told anyone in Acts that they had to believe on Christ's death, burial and resurrection for their sins in order to be saved. Of course Peter did state as a fact that Christ did die and rose again, but he never tied saving faith to it the way Paul did. That alone proves two different gospels.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Talk about the delusional one.

The BIBLE clearly shows that Mathias was the replacement for Judas Iscariot, but somehow the great Nihilo knows better.
Half the story. The Bible in and of itself (half the New Testament authored by Paul) clearly shows that Paul is one of "the Apostles," and there are "Twelve" of them, and Paul is the Twelfth, because we never hear from or about Matthias anytime after early Acts, ever; never ever again. And we never heard about "the Thirteen," and we never ever heard about "Twelve plus one" either. So there are 12 and Paul's the 12th.

The Church has always said that anyway, but I know that you don't care about what the Church says.
Indeed, that disqualified anyone like you.
:plain: Who has not been claiming any sort of teaching authority at all.
You do realize that both of those man-made organizations disagree on sound doctrine with BOTH rejecting sound Pauline doctrine.
You do realize that your so-called quote-unquote Pauline doctrine is Dispensational made up.
Ah, the great myths of Catholicism believed by a billion.
Martin Luther, was not a bishop. 'Not a myth. I just wanted to make sure everybody knew that the entire Reformation, and all of its 500 stupid years, was started by a man whom no bishops felt should join the college of bishops. "Leave him where he is," was the unspoken judgment of the man, even though his job was teaching, he was not a teacher on the same level as every bishop of the Church.
Wow.... "precious popes".... you need a lesson in TRUE history about some of these "precious pope".
That was sarcasm. And shut up Musterion---nobody asked you.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Believing the "Peter was the first pope" myth, I can almost understand. But not seeing that Mathias replaced Judas Iscariot is just pure unbelief.
Anyone can read that, and no one believes it, in as much as no one cares. Everybody cares about Paul being the Twelfth Apostle though, and they show it, except for Meshak.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Peter never told anyone in Acts that they had to believe on Christ's death, burial and resurrection for their sins in order to be saved. Of course Peter did state as a fact that Christ did die and rose again, but he never tied saving faith to it the way Paul did. That alone proves two different gospels.
Same Gospel. Romans 10:9 (KJV) 2nd Timothy 2:8 (KJV)

Sonnet

! Corinthians 15;11,3-8.

Sonnet

Acts 10:43
All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

glorydaz

Paul tells them the essence of what was said before:

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

You won't / refuse to tell the world the first bit. Paul names it as the Gospel.

v.2 By this gospel you are saved
v.11 and this is what you believed.

No mention of justification, but it was enough to say that belief brought salvation.

Paul is stating the essential elements but does state the equivalent of 'salvation through faith' in v.2

And?

You are refusing to believe in Paul's summation of the essential elements of the Gospel and you will not tell the world 'Christ died for our sins' as Paul did.

Acts 10:43
All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

So now you're claiming only those who believe receive forgiveness of sins? You were railing on me for daring to say that. :think:

Sonnet

Even if it weren't. The parable of the wedding had guest that were invited. The banquet had already been prepared and so the Master ordered that others be 'compelled' to come. All who didn't come, didn't want to. Many who came didn't want to either. I think the answer does not have to be an unlimited atonement, but a 'sufficient' atonement. For me, it is more meaningful to say God has all the available resources 'should' all have chosen to come. Nobody would have been left out. It is God's desire that no one should perish. What we then are arguing, is the 'means' of how He keeps that concern and it is no poor thing to simply say "He died for you too, come in." Rather, for me, is to say "come, who cares if your plate was meant for another, it's free! Come!" In that sense, I don't think this particular argument is that much of a big deal. I realize many do, but I'm convinced "God loves you and has a plan for your life" is gospel. "Christ saved to save sinners, of which you are a part" is gospel. Whether or not Jesus would have died if I were the only one isn't something that my ego needs to answer. I am simply grateful and can't go much beyond that. I'm humbled that God loves us, in our fallen state, at all. We are terrible to one another, to Him, to animals, to His world, etc. etc. No, I'm not a mass-murderer but I certainly hadn't done much to make His world a better place.

Lon - you must, surely, accept that only if Christ died for all can 1 Timothy 2:4 be a genuine concern Paul ascribes to God ?

glorydaz

Where were you when I needed you, Musty? ;)

glorydaz

And you conflate Christ dying for all with forgiveness of sins.

No, I'm simply covering all the bases, since you already admitted His death was an OFFER of salvation and forgiveness of sins. A provision for those who believe.

A propitiation contingent on FAITH IN HIS BLOOD. Just returning you to the fact you keep touching on, but not really embracing. An atonement LIMITED to those who accept the offer of peace (reconciliation)....who accept the offer.