What is the Gospel?

Lon

A genuine offer of eternal life; nobody could ever say they were left out.

Even if it weren't. The parable of the wedding had guest that were invited. The banquet had already been prepared and so the Master ordered that others be 'compelled' to come. All who didn't come, didn't want to. Many who came didn't want to either. I think the answer does not have to be an unlimited atonement, but a 'sufficient' atonement. For me, it is more meaningful to say God has all the available resources 'should' all have chosen to come. Nobody would have been left out. It is God's desire that no one should perish. What we then are arguing, is the 'means' of how He keeps that concern and it is no poor thing to simply say "He died for you too, come in." Rather, for me, is to say "come, who cares if your plate was meant for another, it's free! Come!" In that sense, I don't think this particular argument is that much of a big deal. I realize many do, but I'm convinced "God loves you and has a plan for your life" is gospel. "Christ saved to save sinners, of which you are a part" is gospel. Whether or not Jesus would have died if I were the only one isn't something that my ego needs to answer. I am simply grateful and can't go much beyond that. I'm humbled that God loves us, in our fallen state, at all. We are terrible to one another, to Him, to animals, to His world, etc. etc. No, I'm not a mass-murderer but I certainly hadn't done much to make His world a better place.

Sonnet

Are you talking about the counterfactual of the people of Keilah handing David over, when David was no longer among them? To me, that means God knows the thoughts and intentions of the people of Keilah, but God is not peering into some crystal ball to see the future.

Yes - at Keilah. To know with such absolute certainty would suggest predetermination it would seem. It remains a problem.

Would you check your sentence structure and ask this again?

If judas had been tortured into yielding Jesus's whereabouts then it wouldn't really count as betrayal would it?

I challenge you to consider it literally. You might have to put aside some preconceptions about the age of the earth and the fossil record, and how it is most often interpreted today. Doing so is rather exhilarating.

My only real solace is to say that neo-Darwinists rely on faith in their unproven theory. There are plenty of issues unresolved there too.

I appreciate what you're saying here. I think it tells us a lot about how Jesus and the Father know the future. Jesus was planning to raise Lazarus from the dead. So it wasn't hard for Him to "know the future" when He was about to create the future, if you will.

Many of the biblical prophecies are just such prophecies--God says what will happen, and then He makes it happen. God doesn't just predict the future--He makes it.

This is Reformed thinking at its core. And it makes much more sense than thinking God just looks into the future to figure out something, since changing it brings about the counterfactual conundrum you've brought up a couple of times.

But it also brings about a different conundrum when applied to EVERYTHING. If God creates the future by making everything happen, including our own thoughts and desires, whether good or bad, there is little meaning to our lives, beyond God's own pleasure. Certainly His pleasure is a worthy reason for Him to create the world and humans, but it doesn't seem like His son would need to become a human for all eternity just to bring Himself pleasure.

The paradox well summed up.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you consider that I cannot see or hear as you suggest then, of course, there would be no point in you continuing.

It should be noted that citing such a scripture as you and Calvinists do is not underpinned by scripture (seeing as Judas is considered a reprobate):

Mark 4:10-12
When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables so that,

“ ‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
and ever hearing but never understanding;
otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’”

Okay AMR - no more debating.
It is incredible to me that anyone would even bring Mark 4:12 up in the context of an anti-Calvinistic discussion, for it is so heavy-laden with sovereignty-in-salvation. ;)

God uses means. No Calvinist (who knows what he's talking about) says otherwise. Men by nature are totally unable. That doesn't mean they are all cookie-cutter people, with the same levels of either intellect or evil. Common grace is unevenly distributed.

The Word of God is the "power of God unto salvation." The Spirit applies the Word to men ordinarily to effect the change in their heart. God alone knows what "amount" or "timing" or "portion," or whether "blunt force" or "sharp edge" of the Sword of the Spirit that God may use on any given person to change them.

And God will often use the same means to soften some that He uses to harden others. Total Inability teaches that man is unable on His own to work any Spiritual good, to believe, or to prepare himself thereunto.

In Mark 4:12, Jesus, as God the Son, suggests by His choice of words, that under the ordinary, common effects of the Word and the Spirit (had He spoken God's Word plainly) that the combination might have been sufficient to have converted many, many more, other things being equal.

Notice what Jesus does not say: that apart from the Word and Spirit any of these persons would have believed or even desired to believe. These men would not, could not change on their own.

The presentation of the Word of God—the saving message—is a sovereignly directed act. Jesus, in His capacity as Sovereign Lord, refuses to speak in such a way as would be sufficient to break through the barriers of ignorance and hostility to the gospel. He refuses to act sovereignly to save these people. Jesus is shutting these people out of the kingdom sovereignly. They don't have a "choice". My, oh my, how unfair.

These "totally depraved" persons are left with stories that their naturally perverted minds trifle with, missing the spiritual truth that is abundantly evident in the same parables to the disciples. "Oh, but Jesus explained them (sometimes) to the disciples!" Yes, He did on occasion. He gave them more of His Word and Spirit. Sovereignly.

Jesus' veiled teachings were themselves a response to the exhibited unbelief in response to His earlier teaching that was non-parabolic. "For as many who have (how did they come to have it?) they shall be given more. And he who does not have—even what he has shall be taken away from him" (Matthew 13:12).

The anti-Calvinist assumes—and also assumes the text teaches—that if Jesus' message was clearer then the listeners would have "got it," and been saved. Hence the typical anti-Calvinist reliance on a bare-bones gospel presentation (monotonously repetitive, reductionistic) and on "effective" selling techniques—because it is all up to them!

We Calvinists (and discerning others) believe God works by means, ordinary means, by which the Spirit works supernaturally, and especially sovereignly. Hearing the good news is a privilege, not a right. And that privilege is regularly abused by people who hear the plainest gospel presentations and reject them. And furthermore, being given "ears to hear" is a necessary gift to make the Word understood in the heart. The surface meaning of the text seems to imply (by the term "lest" = "for fear that") God was afraid that if the people got a clearer message, they would turn from their wicked ways. Well, God isn't afraid of anything. And He certainly isn't one to miss His aim either in saving or damning.

Jesus' words are inseparable from both the context of the parable by which He is speaking, and the Isaiah passage He is quoting from. The Word is simply saying that God is sovereign as to what, and how much, and to what degree He lets people hear and understand His truth. If more of His hearers had been given more grace to understand the parables, they would have been savingly enabled. Instead, Jesus used the parables as a means of judgment. Additional light is withheld from them, the Spirit and the Word is held back sovereignly, and the Words of Life fall on deaf ears. Think over John 9:39.

What condemns them? Their natural condition of unbelief.

No more debating, indeed. Sonnet.

AMR

Last edited:
Reactions: Lon

glorydaz

This might be said about every sentence ever posted on a forum. John 3:14-16 clearly teaches a genuine offer of salvation to those Scripture claims are sinners - which, it would seem, is good news for mankind.

An OFFER of salvation. A provision that is effectual through faith. Which is the point you keep trying to ignore.

Those who don't believe see it as foolishness...thus they are perishing.

Sonnet

An OFFER of salvation. A provision that is effectual through faith. Which is the point you keep trying to ignore.

Those who don't believe see it as foolishness...thus they are perishing.

A genuine offer assumes it is realizable does it not? Romans 10 says so.

6 But the righteousness that is by faith says: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7“or ‘Who will descend into the deep?’ ”(that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

glorydaz

A genuine offer of eternal life; nobody could ever say they were left out.

You claimed I was supposed to be telling unbelievers their sins were forgiven...."our sins", remember? I said I would tell them they would be forgiven if they believed.

I spoke of the OFFER, and you harassed me for saying so. :kookoo:

glorydaz

A genuine offer assumes it is realizable does it not? Romans 10 says so.

6 But the righteousness that is by faith says: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7“or ‘Who will descend into the deep?’ ”(that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

Go ahead....try and squirm and wiggle your way out of the hole you dug. You'd better go back and read what you posted, and then, unlike your protege, the evil one, perhaps you can admit your error.

Sonnet

You claimed I was supposed to be telling unbelievers their sins were forgiven...."our sins", remember? I said I would tell them they would be forgiven if they believed.

I spoke of the OFFER, and you harassed me for saying so. :kookoo:

I said that 1 Cor. 15:3 is described by Paul as a main element of the Gospel and preached by him and the apostles. That's not the same as what you write here.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

glorydaz

The mongergistic nature of God's saving Grace, emphasizes that man should have no part in his/her salvation, lest he/she then can lose it. IOW, synergism salvation 'can' leave us exactly as we were found and is not much help at all. Therefore, many MADists and almost all Perseverance/OSAS folks, will believe in some form of an atonement that is wholly in God's hands and man cannot mess up. It is the larger part and concern then, that atonement must therefore be in God's hands, not mans'. "If" that is true, then atonement is limited in scope when all are not saved "because God keeps whom He saves."

Many/most who are unlimited atonement proponents, tend to either be universalists or Arminian, believing that man can lose or give up his/her salvation. Iow, those who believe it is limited believe it is complete, done deal, while those who believe in an unlimited atonement see themselves as having to meet God halfway, or part of the way and that such is not assured, it 'depends.' That, or as I previously mentioned, that all are saved and there is nothing men ever need do: God does it all and for all men, without exception.

Which, depending upon how this makes sense to you, makes you either a Calvinist or a synergist where your salvation depends in some measure, upon you. Either God saves to the uttermost or we are partially responsible for saving ourselves, at least on the surface of the Calvinism/other debate. Question: Does any of my future in Christ, depend on me? Does that mean I can mess it up?

It isn't either or, and I don't know why so many false claims have to be made. Man is to come freely to the throne of Grace, and it is then that we are kept by the Power of God unto the day of redemption. We are not "partially responsible for saving ourselves", but we are required to respond to our Creator with BELIEF. We are most certainly able to believe the Gospel. "Justified freely by His grace....through faith in His blood".

It is, indeed, man's duty to come. You can't say it's man duty if he isn't able to come. I say this to both you and AMR.

That is the Lord's plan of salvation, and no man can claim it's not so without ignoring the Gospel and it's POWER to save. Claiming that other side insists on something they don't is just as bad as that side accusing your side of something they don't.

glorydaz

You are refusing to believe in Paul's summation of the essential elements of the Gospel and you will not tell the world 'Christ died for our sins' as Paul did.

I said that 1 Cor. 15:3 is described by Paul as a main element of the Gospel and preached by him and the apostles. That's not the same as what you write here.

It certainly is. I said it over and over again. That I tell unbelievers they must believe for forgiveness of sin. The "our" was referring to those who had already heard and believed. And you know it.

Sonnet

It certainly is. I said it over and over again. That I tell unbelievers they must believe for forgiveness of sin. The "our" was referring to those who had already heard and believed. And you know it.

Paul's reminder is of what was preached when he came to them. Paul makes no effort, as you do, to place a restriction on 'our' - so anybody is free to include themselves. As Danoh pointed out 2 Cor. 5:17-19 makes a similar point.

"You claimed I was supposed to be telling unbelievers their sins were forgiven..." is not what I said.

You still have provide no scriptures that explicitly teach LA.

Last edited:

Lon

It is, indeed, man's duty to come. You can't say it's man duty if he isn't able to come. I say this to both you and AMR.

That is the Lord's plan of salvation, and no man can claim it's not so without ignoring the Gospel and it's POWER to save. Claiming that other side insists on something they don't is just as bad as that side accusing your side of something they don't.
While I certainly grasp your point, there are still 'loaded' ideas going back and forth between such. For the most part, I'm always trying to bridge the two for meaning. When you say 'able' for instance, it is a potential but we are discussing at that point whether man is salvable generic, or whether specific persons are salvable when they do not desire or get saved. At the end, I try to tell people I'm convinced, genuinely, that God does not desire than ANY (literally) should perish. James Hilston, for me, helped bridge this on TOL, by relaying that God has a prescriptive and decretive will. Any Calvinist that agrees, has started bridging the gap of understanding already, though discussion is the important thing when we are trying to peer into the works and importantly 'revelation' of those works of God. Where Pate, E.E. and etc. get disgusted, I think those who stay and hammer these issues out, are the better for it AND the better servicers of God, because they ARE sticking it out and seeking the scriptures for His understanding as well as willing to stretch their own limitations of those understandings. That, and those who have better grasps exercise more patience and love in patience as well. On this particular, I think simply understanding that the short answer for 'atonement' as either incredibly limited or totally unlimited, is, imho, insufficient for God's greater truth. In Sonnet's thread, I'd think that there needs to be a differentiation between 'love' and 'blood' such that one does not necessarily equate the other nor are we really built well to understand foreknowledge beyond a brief contemplation of determinism or casual multi-options of Arminianism. Some mathematics are unsolvable, yet, at first glance, look simple to one who hasn't gotten that far in math. Sometimes, theology does the same. In Him -Lon

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Your own error is that you believe in works for salvation

This comment is core of corruption of many churches. We never strive to be obedient to Jesus for works.

It is because Jesus commands His followers to do so.

You guys don't seem to honor His word, period.

Jesus is the Lord, listen to Him and do as He says.