United Methodist Savage-Dammann

Status
Not open for further replies.

cur_deus_homo

Originally posted by Freak

Does that mean what Enyart said was ok? After all, it's just hyperbole, right? :kookoo:
I hope not. What it might mean is this: "Hey, it's just good entertainment, lighten up." Kinda like how a Howard Stern listener might defend his show.

Freak

Originally posted by cur_deus_homo

I hope not. What it might mean is this: "Hey, it's just good entertainment, lighten up." Kinda like how a Howard Stern listener might defend his show.
Yep. All of Turbo's family support gay rights. Just hyperbole, Turbo, no harm intended.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Does that mean what Enyart said was ok?
Yes. It's not his fault you misunderstand what he meant.

We know Enyart is now a slanderer...
You are a hypocrite. You regularly slander Enyart. You know what I'm talking about.
Enyart, repent of your slander.
He probably won't see your post. Why don't you call him and tell him that? You could call him off the air to confront him, and if he won't repent, you could then call on the air and rebuke him publicly.

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
If i say "All" i mean "All".In my opinion i think he could have said it more clearly,if thats the case.

Freak

Originally posted by Jabez

If i say "All" i mean "All".In my opinion i think he could have said it more clearly,if thats the case.
:crackup: Turbo is but a child so it's over his head.

Freak

Originally posted by Turbo

Yes. It's not his fault you misunderstand what he meant.
All means all except to Enyart, right? You're pathetic.

You regularly slander Enyart.
Regularly? Perhaps he's "regularly" in error.

He probably won't see your post.
We'll wait and see.

Why don't you call him and tell him that?
I don't listen to his show so why would I call him. I can easily talk to him here.

You could call him off the air to confront him, and if he won't repent, you could then call on the air and rebuke him publicly.
Give me his personal number and I will. I promise you this.

Freak

Originally posted by Christine

It is surely a sin to stay in a church that promotes sodomy, communism, and other anti-Christian ideas.
The UMC as a denomination does not endore sodomy, communism, or anti-Christ ideas. :down:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:sigh: "All" quite commonly doesn't mean "each and every, without exception," even in Scripture. It's a figure of speech, a type of hyperbole. People use it all the time.

All means all except to Enyart, right?
Wrong! I said "'All' quite commonly doesn't mean 'each and every, without exception,' even in Scripture."

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Hyperbole is a very common figure of speech. As I said before, "People use it all the time." That was an example of hyperbole, but no one complained that my assertion was inaccurate or unclear.

The Scriptures often use "all" to mean "most" or "many."

• For the love of money is the root of all evil... 1 Timothy 6:10
Is the love of money really the root of all evil? Is love of money typically what motivates a man to commit adultery? Or does Paul mean that love of money is root of a great deal of evil?

• And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. Matthew 10:22
By all? Really? Even all other believers?

• John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. Then all the land of Judea, and those from Jerusalem, went out to him and were all baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins. Mark 1:4

When all the people were baptized [by John], it came to pass that Jesus also was baptized... Luke 3:21
How could Jesus have been baptized after all the people were baptized? After all, Jesus was a person.

• And when all the people heard Him, even the tax collectors justified God, having been baptized with the baptism of John. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, not having been baptized by him. Luke 7:29-30
These Pharisees and lawyers must not have been part of “all the people” Luke had referred to in previous verse.

• Therefore, when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John John 4:1
If John baptized all the people (except maybe a some Pharisees and lawyers), how could Jesus have baptized more people than John?

Christine

The UMC as a denomination does not endore sodomy, communism, or anti-Christ ideas. :down:
Yes they do. The UMC's recently said that the lesbian could keep her job. That's the denomination speaking. I understand that not all UMC's believe this way, but in attending a UMC chruch, it sure looks like it. Besides, where do they think their offering money is going? To pay that lesbian's salary, to help promote Communism, and other anti-Christian ideas. The UMC is becoming blatently un-Christian. I know you're probably wanting proof for all that I'm saying. Read this article. It is very revealing.
http://www.materialreligion.org/documents/july99doc.html

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
Hyperbole- is a figure of speech which is an exaggeration.

I see what your saying Turbo.Though i doubt everyone will understand that being said to UMC.I think the message could have been conveyed better.

cur_deus_homo

Though i doubt everyone will understand that being said to UMC.I think the message could have been conveyed better.
Though if the message was "conveyed better," i.e. kinder, more respectful, and thus (maybe) more persuasively, the message would have ceased to be the message it was and would have been a different message altogether. The message was this: leave the UMC and go to a "real" Christian church like mine, Denver Bible Church, where we "really" worship the "true" Jesus.

Sounds like the very thing Paul preached against in 1 Cor 1.

Jabez

Friend of Jesus

Though if the message was "conveyed better," i.e. kinder, more respectful, and thus (maybe) more persuasively, the message would have ceased to be the message it was and would have been a different message altogether. The message was this: leave the UMC and go to a "real" Christian church like mine, Denver Bible Church, where we "really" worship the "true" Jesus.

I still wouldnt have said "All".

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

No, it sounds exactly like the very thing Paul preached in Galatians 1:8,9 - "But even if we or an angel from Heaven preach a gospel to you beside what we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we said before, and now I say again, If anyone preaches a gospel to you beside what you have received, let him be accursed."

cur_deus_homo

I still wouldnt have said "All".
Most conservative, non-UMC Christians wouldn't have said most of the other hundreds of words in Bob's 20-minutes hateful tirade as well.

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
The more i think about it Turbo has a good point,and i dont know what to make of it yet.

cur_deus_homo

Originally posted by Jefferson

No, it sounds exactly like the very thing Paul preached in Galatians 1:8,9 - "But even if we or an angel from Heaven preach a gospel to you beside what we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we said before, and now I say again, If anyone preaches a gospel to you beside what you have received, let him be accursed."
Exactly. And I am afraid that Bob is the one preaching a different gospel.

cur_deus_homo

Hyperbole is a very common figure of speech. As I said before, "People use it all the time." That was an example of hyperbole, but no one complained that my assertion was inaccurate or unclear.

The Scriptures often use "all" to mean "most" or "many."

• For the love of money is the root of all evil... 1 Timothy 6:10
Is the love of money really the root of all evil? Is love of money typically what motivates a man to commit adultery? Or does Paul mean that love of money is root of a great deal of evil?

[clipped the rest]
You compare the interpretation of God's Word with the interpretation of Bob Enyart's words?

Is the tacit assumption that Bob's words are God's words?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You compare the interpretation of God's Word with the interpretation of Bob Enyart's words?

Is the tacit assumption that Bob's words are God's words?
No. :rolleyes:

I was showing that hyperbole is a perfectly acceptable figure of speech, and we should not insist on being woodenly literal when we interpret someone's words.

You're twisting what he said (and what I've said) because he was speaking out against the UMC. You are a defender of the UMC so you've got an axe to grind.

Here's something else to consider: We read in the Gospels that Jesus spoke out against tax collectors as a group, directly and indirectly. Yet we also read that some tax collectors put their faith in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.