United Methodist Savage-Dammann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To my knowledge, no one in "his loyal fanbase" interpreted what he said the way you do.

If you want to deliberately misunderstand him, go ahead.

Freak

Originally posted by Turbo

To my knowledge, no one in "his loyal fanbase" interpreted what he said the way you do.
Of course not. I sometimes wonder about you, turbo.

He was not alone to see that Enyart was wrong. Because you're blinded to this don't go blaming him for Enyart's mistakes.

Last edited:

cur_deus_homo

Then how do they interpret what he said?

Let's face it. You (and others) seem to think Bob's hateful and sensationalistic rhetoric is acceptable behavior and within the bounds of how a Christian pastor should act in the public realm. If you don't think so then you should condemn his tirade and ask him to repent. I, and others here, think it's deplorable behavior and in no way reflects Christ's love for all.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Freak

Of course not.
Well, cur_deus_homo claims Enyart says that literally each and every member of the UMC is headed to hell because his supportive audience expects him to say such things.

I'm saying that we do not expect Enyart to say such a thing, we don't even believe that what he said was intended to mean such a thing, and therefore that could not have been Enyart's motivation for saying what you and cur_deus_homo believe he was saying.

He was not alone to see that Enyart was wrong. Because you're blinded to this don't go blaming him for enyart's misttakes.
So did you call him yet?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Freak, you promised that you would call him if I gave you his number. I gave you his number two weeks ago. What gives?

cur_deus_homo

Well, cur_deus_homo claims Enyart says that literally each and every member of the UMC is headed to hell because his supportive audience expects him to say such things.

I'm saying that we do not expect Enyart to say such a thing, we don't even believe that what he said was intended to mean such a thing, and therefore that could not have been Enyart's motivation for saying what you and cur_deus_homo believe he was saying.
So you believe he actually meant something other than "each and every." So what, I grant you that. I could care less about what he "actually" meant; I am not trying to hold him to some kind of standard where everything he says has to be plain vanilla and not hyperbole. But I listened to that show and I am amazed that anyone could possibly come away from hearing all that garbage and think that's an acceptable way for a Christian pastor to behave. That's the real issue, not how fast his supporters can back-peddle and cover his tushie and parse words, the real issue is his behavior.

Turbo, do you think his rhetoric and behavior during the show in question is acceptable behavior for a Christian pastor?

Freak

Freak, you promised that you would call him if I gave you his number. I gave you his number two weeks ago. What gives?
Yes, I did but I did not promise you when. I don't work on your time line. But I'll report to you when I have, ok?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK. I may ask again though in a few months though.

(Though I don't see the purpose of waiting around.)

cur_deus_homo

Re: Freak

Originally posted by Christine

I posted this link before and you didn't really respond. Will you please take the time to read it http://www.materialreligion.org/documents/july99doc.html let me know what you think?

It seems to me that if the article is true, then even if the UMC's doctirine is good (which I sincerely doubt), the church is still quite corrupt.
This cracks me up. You provide a link to a site hosted by Vanderbilt University Divinity School, essentially a Methodist school, to demonstrate how corrupt the UMC is.

Methodists are a diverse group and we often criticize each other over doctrinal issues, but there are very, very few, if any, of us who are condemning ANYONE to hell because they're too liberal or too conservative, let alone condemning to hell millions of "other" Christians who organize under a different denominational name.

Freak

Originally posted by Christine

I posted this link before and you didn't really respond. Will you please take the time to read it http://www.materialreligion.org/documents/july99doc.html let me know what you think?

It's a reprinted article that's 20 years old from the Reader’s Digest, January 1983. So, I don't put much stock in it.

It seems to me that if the article is true, then even if the UMC's doctirine is good (which I sincerely doubt),
Now you're being intellectually dishonest. For their official website declares that they affirm and promote essential Christian doctrine..

http://www.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=1808

... the church is still quite corrupt.
The foundation of the church isn't corrupt for it's foundation is it's belief in the Holy Trinity. Do you believe a church that promotes the deity of Christ and calls people to this Jesus through faith is doctrinally corrupt?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.