Ukraine Crisis

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'm in complete agreement that he's wicked and evil and a mass murderer of children.
I don't think he really cares what people think of him
I'm saying that on top of all of that, he's also remarkably stupid and dumb.
So far he's gotten what he wants
The reason I'm saying that is because in case people might think there's any possibility that President Trump is right in calling him a genius.
So far he's gotten what he wants.

And he's one death away from succeeding. Once Zelinskyy is dead, the resistance collapses, Putin installs a puppet government, and the annexation of Crimea is a done deal. The EU will bluster and sputter but continue to buy his natural gas and petroleum, the warhawks in DC will bluster and sputter but hopefully not do more.

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
I don't think he really cares what people think of him

So far he's gotten what he wants

So far he's gotten what he wants.

And he's one death away from succeeding. Once Zelinskyy is dead, the resistance collapses, Putin installs a puppet government, and the annexation of Crimea is a done deal. The EU will bluster and sputter but continue to buy his natural gas and petroleum, the warhawks in DC will bluster and sputter but hopefully not do more.
He's literally one bad decision away from starting WWIII. Irredeemable and abject stupidity. Literally MAD. He's gotten the whole world to within one bad choice away from WWIII.

Let me guess, you're a Dispensationalist.

Dispies literally expect WWIII. They're there like, 'Wonder if this is the big one?' They won't lift a finger to avoid WWIII, they're basically Calvinist fatalists when it comes to WWIII.

I really hope you're not a Dispie, but instead a Catholic. Catholics try to avoid WWIII and at all costs----because it's WWIII. Catholics are not so STUPID as to just ACCEPT WWIII.

Thank the Lord for Catholic JFK and thank Him also for Catholic LGB. Pray for him; as I know that you, Ok Doser, do.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
He's literally one bad decision away from starting WWIII. Irredeemable and abject stupidity. Literally MAD. He's gotten the whole world to within one bad choice away from WWIII.
He's a gambler for sure. He knows the hand that he's holding. He thinks he knows the hands that the EU, the Ukies and the US are holding.
Let me guess, you're a Dispensationalist.
The easiest short answer is no

And I'm not a calvinist.

But I do believe that all events unfold according to God's will

Idolater

He's a gambler for sure. He knows the hand that he's holding. He thinks he knows the hands that the EU, the Ukies and the US are holding.
I have no problem with gambling. Even big limit. But this limit he's playing at he doesn't have mankind's permission to play at this limit. He's playing with all our hides right now, we don't consent.

He needs to stop or he needs to die.
The easiest short answer is no

And I'm not a calvinist.
I was.
But I do believe that all events unfold according to God's will
I do too, and so does Catholicism, but that does not mean that we can't fight like hell against WWIII.

You with me?

It can be within God's will that we collectively, as a species, politically, fight like hell to positively prevent WWIII from ever happening, by doing something monumentally intelligent, like perhaps maybe, extending our Constitution all the way around the world as our ideology.

Arthur Brain

Calling him an idiot is ignoring his evil. As if being stupid was worse than being a psychopathic genocidal dictator and invader.

And it seems (and being aware how often things aren't what they seem) there's a division between those who believe the propaganda, and those who see through it. As the captured Russian said in my earlier post, they didn't know. They believed they were coming as liberators, because they believed the propaganda. Propaganda is so much more dangerous than people realize, and they are so much more susceptible to it than they know. I'm not in a position to judge how many Russians are truly aware of the situation, they're in a major news blackout now; and as the captured Russian said, some don't even have access to internet. There are no longer any independent news outlets in Russian, the act of speaking against the war is now criminalized. Calling them idiots for being a victim of their circumstances is easy to say from the safety of distance.
Propaganda is one of the most dangerous methods of disinformation, especially in a country that dictates through its own media what is the "truth". It's oh so easy to criticize this in the comfy environment of the West where we can choose what to watch and where to get our news from but that doesn't apply to the likes of Russia and similar, especially now with crackdowns on the internet and what sites are allowed for its citizens, so what does the average Russian with no access to anything besides state controlled news gonna think?

Arthur Brain

I'm in complete agreement that he's wicked and evil and a mass murderer of children.

I'm saying that on top of all of that, he's also remarkably stupid and dumb.

The reason I'm saying that is because in case people might think there's any possibility that President Trump is right in calling him a genius.

It is the opposite.
Oh, there's no possibility of Trump being right on that score although Putin is hardly thick by any degree either. He's a cold and calculating man and it's pointless to deny that he's intelligent. Unfortunately the warning signs were there for years in regards to Putin given his history but as on another thread, it was easier to keep trade ongoing in the hopes that he wouldn't pull a stunt as he has with the Ukraine. Well, he has.

Idolater

Oh, there's no possibility of Trump being right on that score although Putin is hardly thick by any degree either. He's a cold and calculating man and it's pointless to deny that he's intelligent. Unfortunately the warning signs were there for years in regards to Putin given his history but as on another thread, it was easier to keep trade ongoing in the hopes that he wouldn't pull a stunt as he has with the Ukraine. Well, he has.
And so now we have to call him an idiot.

Listen to this idiot!

Russian President Vladimir Putin shifted blame for the invasion, saying Moscow’s attacks could be halted “only if Kyiv ceases hostilities.”

KYIV!!!! Can you believe this nincompoop!

Arthur Brain

And so now we have to call him an idiot.

Listen to this idiot!

KYIV!!!! Can you believe this nincompoop!
Oh, he's cold and calculating but he's miscalculated the strength of the resistance in the Ukraine along with how unified the UN and NATO forces were going to be in response. Don't confuse my not calling him an idiot with anything akin to him being a genius, he isn't. He's bitten off more than he can chew in proverbial adage and unfortunately that could potentially make him more dangerous than ever. He's backed himself into a situation whereby he can hardly withdraw forces without losing face and not just him, his entire regime. So what other recourse does he have but to try and blame the severe resistance he's faced along with his sycophants who promote their fake news? Add to that the logistical difficulties his army has endured and its kinda embarrassing overall. He was probably hoping that Kyiv and most of the Ukraine would have capitulated by now but not the case. He's unhinged.

Idolater

Oh, he's cold and calculating but he's miscalculated the strength of the resistance in the Ukraine along with how unified the UN and NATO forces were going to be in response. Don't confuse my not calling him an idiot with anything akin to him being a genius, he isn't. He's bitten off more than he can chew in proverbial adage and unfortunately that could potentially make him more dangerous than ever. He's backed himself into a situation whereby he can hardly withdraw forces without losing face and not just him, his entire regime. So what other recourse does he have but to try and blame the severe resistance he's faced along with his sycophants who promote their fake news? Add to that the logistical difficulties his army has endured and its kinda embarrassing overall. He was probably hoping that Kyiv and most of the Ukraine would have capitulated by now but not the case. He's unhinged.
But that's all what I mean by IDIOT Arthur. He's an idiot because he didn't foresee this! This isn't something he needed hindsight for. I know some people who got 'burned' because they didn't see the pandemic coming, but this isn't what Putin was facing, this wasn't him 'getting blindsided', anyone could have 'seen this coming', it's quite unlike the pandemic, which took basically everybody by surprise.

This should not have surprised him or anybody, but he went ahead and did it anyway. He's a moron. And he's got tons of huge nukes! And a constitution which doesn't protect the rest of the world (US) from morons.

Arthur Brain

But that's all what I mean by IDIOT Arthur. He's an idiot because he didn't foresee this! This isn't something he needed hindsight for. I know some people who got 'burned' because they didn't see the pandemic coming, but this isn't what Putin was facing, this wasn't him 'getting blindsided', anyone could have 'seen this coming', it's quite unlike the pandemic, which took basically everybody by surprise.

This should not have surprised him or anybody, but he went ahead and did it anyway. He's a moron. And he's got tons of huge nukes! And a constitution which doesn't protect the rest of the world (US) from morons.
The strength of the resistance in the Ukraine has surprised not just Putin to be fair and I agree, he's miscalculated on more than issue as outlined previous. He's relied on the might of his military arsenal and it hasn't worked up to this point but it's still ongoing and logistical difficulties might have hindered his attack on the capital but it's probably only a matter of time before that's sorted out.

Add to that the understandable reluctance of UN and NATO forces to employ a no fly zone over Ukraine and he's still in a position of power that can't be underestimated. He'll have certainly been ready for the inevitable sanctions coming Russia's way and he wouldn't particularly care either. So what if his own people suffer as result of his crusade? Or a bunch of oligarchs having their luxury yachts impounded? As you say, he has one of the biggest nuclear arsenals at his disposal and we're still in the early stages of all of this don't forget.

Idolater

The strength of the resistance in the Ukraine has surprised not just Putin to be fair and I agree, he's miscalculated on more than issue as outlined previous. He's relied on the might of his military arsenal and it hasn't worked up to this point but it's still ongoing and logistical difficulties might have hindered his attack on the capital but it's probably only a matter of time before that's sorted out.

Add to that the understandable reluctance of UN and NATO forces to employ a no fly zone over Ukraine and he's still in a position of power that can't be underestimated. He'll have certainly been ready for the inevitable sanctions coming Russia's way and he wouldn't particularly care either. So what if his own people suffer as result of his crusade? Or a bunch of oligarchs having their luxury yachts impounded? As you say, he has one of the biggest nuclear arsenals at his disposal and we're still in the early stages of all of this don't forget.
What should we do? Of course avoiding WWIII but beyond that, what should we do?

Russians could just slowly 'snuff out' all the Ukrainian resistance, they can take their 'sweet time', because in avoiding WWIII, none of us are going to do a thing to stop him just winning a brutal war of attrition in Ukraine.

What do we do longer term? Near-term, avoid WWIII. But what about longer term?

Arthur Brain

What should we do? Of course avoiding WWIII but beyond that, what should we do?

Russians could just slowly 'snuff out' all the Ukrainian resistance, they can take their 'sweet time', because in avoiding WWIII, none of us are going to do a thing to stop him just winning a brutal war of attrition in Ukraine.

What do we do longer term? Near-term, avoid WWIII. But what about longer term?
What do you think we should do? What can we do? We're dealing with a regime which if pushed enough could resort to the unthinkable. I understand the reluctance to enact a no fly zone around Ukraine but wow, I can understand the frustration of the current and former leaders that are still imploring to have one when faced with the appalling attacks that have besieged the country. Is there a time to make a stand and say enough is enough? We're stuck with nukes one way or another so how much bloodshed and barbarism has to be endured and tolerated in order to let any despotic regime have their way? What's your answer?