The Sock Deception

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not sure who has had the most socks in TOL history/
But EE has tried to work his way to the top.
Sozo, Mystery, Door, Ghost, etc., might be in the running for the lead. Right up there with ok doser I assume.

I do not see the allure of multiple account IDs other than to just mess with others. It seems a wee bit self-serving. I do see the need for staffers at discussion sites using sock accounts for testing features or monitoring threads without being readily identified, as in undercover moderation work to see how members are behaving when the cat is away, as it were. ;)

AMR

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sozo, Mystery, Door, Ghost, etc., might be in the running for the lead. Right up there with ok doser I assume.

I do not see the allure of multiple account IDs other than to just mess with others. It seems a wee bit self-serving. I do see the need for staffers at discussion sites using sock accounts for testing features or monitoring threads without being readily identified, as in undercover moderation work to see how members are behaving when the cat is away, as it were. ;)

AMR
The thing about ZOZO and Res is that they came back with a new username after bring banned.
They weren't posting under multiple accounts at the same time.

EE would use multiple accounts at the same time.
So you never knew which of his personalities you were talking to.
And he has more socks than the 4 he listed.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

AMR

Sozo never really sneaked in without clearing ban end with Knight; they were close, yet SOZO was just too much on attacking member for Knight to abide it.

He took smacking beyond the TOL pale

Arthur Brain

Do you think it has something to do with not being satisfied for how they are received, so they try to create a personality that others will hopefully respond to in a better fashion?

In multiple cases no. I think it's a case of being a bit unhinged aka Crucible. Having multiple accounts at the same time would be time consuming and would hint at the same.

glorydaz

The thing about using socks, especially ones you try to use as if they are someone else, just makes us not want to participate with any of them because of the deception and childish nature of it all.

Yep, and that's really the point of this thread. I hate wondering who might be another sock. I remember seeing where Truster was accusing Sonnet of being Evil Eye. EE got very indignant and vehemently denied it. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I noticed EE taking Sonnet under his wing, and in such an earnest way, I started to wonder. Supposedly, Sonnet was seeking, and it became clear that he was actually bent on exposing the Calvinists. A bit odd for a "newby".

Then when Sonnet began chastising those who didn't "curse" those Calvinists, my radar really went up. He was supported, of course, by an emotionally invested Evil Eye. First one...bam, then another, bam, then that funny named kickberry or something like that came to the fray, I really began to get the idea they were a "team".....kind of a trinity, if you will. :idunno:

Gosh, I hate being deceived by stinky socks.