The Myth of unMerited Favor and Grace

genuineoriginal

Explain how you merit God's grace (1 Tim. 1:12–16). :smokie:

If you don't know how to merit God's grace, then how are you ever going to continue in the grace of God as Paul and Barnabas instructed?

Acts 13:43
43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.​

If you don't know what you did to merit God's grace, then how are you going to prevent yourself from frustrating the grace of God?

Galatians 2:21
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.​

If you believe grace is unmerited, then what are you going to do to keep from falling from grace?

Galatians 5:4
4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

If you don't know what you did to merit God's grace, what are you going to be diligently looking at to make sure you do not fail of the grace of God?

Hebrews 12:15
15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;​

If you don't know what is done to merit God's grace, how will you recognize anyone turning the grace of God into lasciviousness?

Jude 1:4
4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.​

Maybe we can find out what is done to merit God's grace.

1 Peter 5:5-10
5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.​

HisServant

You all are my witness.

I do not want any unmerited praise from God.

I count unmerited praise from God as worthless.

I only want Him to praise me when I deserve it.

You all can have His unmerited praise.

I will take all His merited praise.

Well... there is nothing you can do to merit salvation... so be prepared to be found lacking at the throne of judgement.

genuineoriginal

What does it mean then? It's the opposite of law so give your definition.
What did Moses do that caused him to find grace in God's sight?

Exodus 33:17
17 And the Lord said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.​

It wasn't following the Law, since Moses had just smashed the Ten Commandments written by God's own hand and had not received any of the rest of the Law.

Grace is not the opposite of law.

Grace is when a ruler is pleased with one of his subjects and chooses to do something special that is within his power for that subject simply to show his pleasure.
The example given in the Bible was Esther finding favor in the sight of the king.

Esther 5:2-3
2 And it was so, when the king saw Esther the queen standing in the court, that she obtained favour in his sight: and the king held out to Esther the golden sceptre that was in his hand. So Esther drew near, and touched the top of the sceptre.
3 Then said the king unto her, What wilt thou, queen Esther? and what is thy request? it shall be even given thee to the half of the kingdom.​

This is the same king that took away the royal estate from Vashti because she angered him (Esther 1:12-19).

If grace is unmerited favor, then there would be no reason to remove the royal estate from Vashti and no reason to offer half the kingdom to Esther.
However, grace is only merited by whatever gives pleasure to the king.

God has specified many times in the Bible those things that please Him and those things that displease Him.
Keeping the Law the way the Pharisees did, through honoring Him with their lips and having their hearts far from Him, does not please Him.
Loving God with all your heart, soul, and might, does please Him.