The Myth of unMerited Favor and Grace

genuineoriginal

Grace: The unmerited favor of God.
There is no such thing as unmerited favor.
Everyone that has received God's favor has done something that pleased Him.
God does not show favor to those that do not please Him.

If not for God's grace there would be no reason for faith, repentance, baptism, or works.
Yes, if we had nothing but judgment and punishment for our sins, we would not need the faith, repentance, baptism, and works that please God and merit His favor.

genuineoriginal

And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Luke 18:9-14

The Pharisee did not merit God's favor.
Nothing the Pharisee did pleased God.

The publican merited God's favor.
The publican did something that pleased God.

James 4:6
6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.​