The great Ebola scare of 2014

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The CDC Was Wrong About How to Stop Ebola
News that a man has been diagnosed with the virus in Dallas days after arriving from Liberia is alarming—and to prevent more U.S. cases, certain rules must never be broken.

The announcement that a case of Ebola virus has been diagnosed in a Dallas hospital sent a chill through the medical, public health, and basic citizen communities. I know my jaw surely dropped as far as it has dropped since 2001, when the word of the first anthrax case in New York appeared in my email. As the details have begun to emerge, many people are wondering the same thing: Will this happen in my city?

The answer is quite clear: Maybe....
Read more here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ebola-from-spreading-to-other-u-s-cities.html

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
This is very concerning:
5 school age students were exposed to Ebola patient, who attended 4 different school campuses - and also the man with ebola told the hospital during his FIRST visit that he was from liberia and yet he was sent back home with antibiotics.

The sister of the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the United States said her brother told relatives that he had notified officials the first time he went to the hospital that he was visiting from Liberia.

Mai Wureh said her brother — Thomas Eric Duncan — went to a Dallas emergency room on Thursday and they sent him home with antibiotics. Duncan told his sister that hospital officials asked for his Social Security number, and he said that he didn't have one because he was visiting from Liberia.

At a news conference Wednesday, Dr. Mark Lester confirmed that a nurse asked Duncan on his first visit whether he had been in an area affected by the Ebola outbreak that has killed thousands in West Africa.

"A checklist was in place for Ebola in this hospital for several weeks. That checklist was utilized by the nurse, who did ask [the] question [if the patient had been to Africa,]" Lester said. "[...] Regretfully, that information [was not shared] with the full team."
read more here: http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/heal...n-dallas-county-ebola-patient-cases/16524303/

Then theres this from the article:

Residents and the manager at the complex (where the ebola patient was) said no one from either the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the health department have contacted them.

Officials say about 12 to 18 people total were in direct contact with Duncan since he arrived in Dallas. Of those, the children will be monitored for fever and other symptoms in person by Dallas County Health and Human Services staff and asked to stay home from school for 21 days. The adults will be asked to self-monitor.

Those who were in contact with Duncan are not under quarantine

wow

gcthomas

Those who were in contact with Duncan are not under quarantine

By "under quarantine" do you mean "healthy American people with their freedom of movement restricted by authoritarian dictat"? Is that what you'd like to happen?

Last edited:

Truster

Just hope it doesn't spread to the homeless. I have a sense that the Angel of Elohim is poised and ready to inflict serious damage with Ebola.

gcthomas

Don't you have a comment on the linked article?

I am intrigued as to why the only British news source anyone ever links to her on ToL is The Daily Mail, a low quality tabloid that has always favoured lurid headlines and broad appeal over accurate and quality journalism. 70% of its traffic comes from the US, so I suppose they are in competition with Fox News as the right wing purveyor of half truths, with the addition of a tabloid culture.

A quote then:

Current policy dictates that only those displaying symptoms of the disease are barred from flying. But Ebola can hide in the system for up to 21 days, raising serious concerns the disease will start turning up around the world.

Question: Should the US instigate a three week quarantine for travellers, or ban incoming flights?

If not, then why post the link or moan about the authority's procedures. Ebola is unlikely to spread far in any country with modern hygiene and disease control systems, and even less likely to kill an significant number of people.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
By "under quarantine" do you mean "healthy American people with their freedom of movement restricted by authoritarian dictat"? Is that what you'd like to happen?

yes, so no one else gets it, this guy had direct contact with someone who had it, he didn't feel the need to disclose that before coming here- so yes everyone who has had contact with him should be isolated for 3 weeks - thats how you stop it.

Also since people don't disclose the truth, anyone from areas where its prevalent, should not be able to travel outside of their area without a 21 day isolation period.

Thats how you stop it.

musterion

Speaking of being wrong about Ebola....

Remember a few weeks ago, when it was being used to stoke anti-immigrant panic? Turns out, the immigrants would be at more risk of contracting Ebola in Texas than they were back home.

Because they're being tightly housed together?

Maine, I believe it is, is having an outbreak of the virus that starts as respiratory but can (and has) resulted in paralysis. Guess what else Maine has had an influx of recently.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Because they're being tightly housed together?

Maine, I believe it is, is having an outbreak of the virus that starts as respiratory but can (and has) resulted in paralysis. Guess what else Maine has had an influx of recently.

yes, that respiratory problem that was once a rarity here, is prevalent now in many states since bammy shipped all those illegal children all over the US and did so without notifying communities they were coming.