The great Ebola scare of 2014

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ebola, Ebola, Ebola. That's all anyone talks about anymore.

Here are some questions I have about the current Ebola breakout.

- Is a disease that has only affected 1,400 in the entire world something the average person needs to be concerned about?

- Assuming the disease spreads as easily as they say, should we really be bringing Ebola patients to our country for treatment?

- Knowing that we are doing our best to stop Ebola from coming to this country is it wise of us to have our southern border wide-open for anyone who wants to enter?

- Is a disease that has only affected 1,400 in the entire world something the average person needs to be concerned about?
Yes. Marburg first appeared in the 1960s. Hantavirus in Four Corners hundreds of years before that. This is the largest outbreak yet for Ebola and while it has been linked to certain species of monkeys and fruit bats, we still do not understand these types of diseases and how to treat them. We also suspect terrorists are looking for a live virus to use as a weapon, maybe combining it with small pox.

- Assuming the disease spreads as easily as they say, should we really be bringing Ebola patients to our country for treatment?
It should be safe and the best care in world is in the United States. Afterall, we have Obamacare don't we?

- Knowing that we are doing our best to stop Ebola from coming to this country is it wise of us to have our southern border wide-open for anyone who wants to enter?
No. But our arrogant President and Attorney General think differently.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

So long as people are traveling in an out of where its prevalent, then yes.

No, but this country doesnt seem to care that governments primary role is to protect and serve the citizens anymore.

No, rampant disease is streaming in from there also.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In fairness though it's easy to pronounce. And in some quarters that's about all you can hope for. :plain:

Depends. Is the guy who has it standing next to me in an elevator?

:idunno: I left my CDC background in my other pair of pants. :eek:

And no, I'm not too big for them. :mmph:

bybee

In fairness though it's easy to pronounce. And in some quarters that's about all you can hope for. :plain:

Depends. Is the guy who has it standing next to me in an elevator?

:idunno: I left my CDC background in my other pair of pants. :eek:

And no, I'm not too big for them. :mmph:

My concern is that a Doctor trained in western sterile technique contracted Ebola.
The slightest miscalculation, the slightest error in procedure on the part of any of the care providers or equipment breakdown and we are in for it.
It is too risky. Now we can only wait and see.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm not too worried about Ebola sneaking in through our border, considering it doesn't exist anywhere but Africa.

It's a horrible way to go, which makes it something the media's eager to hype. If it bleeds and all that.

Doormat

Yes. The average person needs to worry about this so they will not worry as much about really serious problems, like the mass murder of unborn children.

The above average person doesn't need to be concerned.

I assume that scientists already have Ebola in this country for research purposes, so as long as they can contain what they fear it would be compassionate to help those who lack the resources to help themselves.

For someone who desires a strong military, having access to those patients for clandestine research would be valuable. The information could potentially be used to develop or prevent development of Ebola-based biological weapons.

No. But it's not wise for other reasons, too.

Doormat

We also suspect terrorists are looking for a live virus to use as a weapon, maybe combining it with small pox.

Terrorists have that capability?

I've been reading a book about the Soviet Union's massive biological weapons program during the cold war, and it seems to me what you are suggesting is beyond the capability of "the terrorists."

The U.S. should still be concerned about other nations who have biological weapons programs. Russia, China, et al.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Nice compassionate OP ...even nicer as a segue into boarder enforcement. :rolleyes:

Well, at least it wasn't some form of homosexuality!

Christ's Word

Come on Knight.......rest easy.......what is the worst that could happen?.........An Ebola strain that is communicable air born, coming across our southern border and infecting our VA Hospitals???? You can wait 6 months to be treated for Ebola right? Nothing to worry about, the Government has this one in the bag, no problem.......they are looking out for you.

IMJerusha

Yes. It's extremely virulent.

I question that as well. If we don't want it coming to this country, don't bring it to this country. That just seems like common sense considering our limited experience with the disease.

- Knowing that we are doing our best to stop Ebola from coming to this country...

Huh? See above.

...is it wise of us to have our southern border wide-open for anyone who wants to enter?

The laws in place for Americans to travel to other countries should be the same laws in place for foreigners to travel here and no foreigners should be permitted to stay permanently on green cards without being formally enrolled in citizenship classes which they must progress satisfactorily in within a certain period of time and no governmental benefit assigned to any who are not bona fide citizens. I don't think any of our borders should be wide open. I also think that travel to any country with multiple Ebola cases should be blocked.

I'm not too worried about Ebola sneaking in through our border, considering it doesn't exist anywhere but Africa.

It's a horrible way to go, which makes it something the media's eager to hype. If it bleeds and all that.
It hasn't been found in nature except in Africa. But the Russians have been working with it for some time. One of two lab techs working with it died as a result. Marburg is Ebola's cousin and outbreaks have hit three different cities in Germany. I think the mortality rate with Marburg is around 40 - 80%.

As countries clear old growth forest for planting crops, it's unknown what new diseases might crop up.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
We live in the greatest propaganda machine ever foisted upon any civilization. Our news is engineered to keep the masses under control. When social pressure gets a bit hot for the Plantation owners who orchestrate the dance of the politicians then a new distraction always pops up. The internet greatly facilitates this process.