The embarrassment of receiving an infraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

@OP As an atheist I perhaps need one or two seals of disapproval here or I'm probably not fulfilling my role. :eek:

Arthur Brain

(Art Brain would be here, but even pagans need to sleep on occasion).

As my good Christian conservative friend serpentdove would say:

"aCW, you have all the right enemies."

On that note: I'll refrain from posting further in this thread, as it won't serve any purpose.

I think SD would be more likely to say:

"Proof please" :peach:

:yawn: "Ad hominem"

and quote a whole load of irrelevance from Dennis Prager and equally irrelevant links while quote mining from posters she "responds" to...

:think:

No wonder the pair of you get on so well...

Oh, and your infractions were due to lying sleaze for the most part but of course none of that was your fault...

6days

And i was banned outright from an atheist board
Sort of funny... I was reading comments on an atheist board and thought I would like to add a comment. But, in order to join, i had to agree with their 'statement of faith' (Wasn't named that). Thats fine... I understand, but it reminded me of membership requirements that churches have.

6days

For those of you who have received an infraction of some kind at TOL or some other online forum, were you embarrassed? Does it feel like people are looking at your profile thinking "what is that guys problem"?

Here is the deal. All have sinned and fallen short of th glory of God! How much less serious is it to have an Internet infraction on your record?
Good comments Delmar. The boo boo's we make here may be embarrassing... but its good to remember that it isn't just a few people that see our mistake. Our mistakes are also seen by the One who shed His blood for me.

Kudo's to Rusha for the humble attitude in his comments.

musterion

Sort of funny... I was reading comments on an atheist board and thought I would like to add a comment. But, in order to join, i had to agree with their 'statement of faith' (Wasn't named that). Thats fine... I understand, but it reminded me of membership requirements that churches have.

Because both are faith-based institutions.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Yes but you can attend churches without declaring a statement of faith.

The atheist board i was at didn't require anything like that and the only reason i ever signed up for it, was because i had to in order to participate in the cross discussions from their board to the christian board i was on - because their forum that had the cross discussion was hidden, for members only (it seemed weird that they even had such a thing to me to begin with about another board)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For those of you who have received an infraction of some kind at TOL or some other online forum, were you embarrassed? Does it feel like people are looking at your profile thinking "what is that guys problem"?
Not for me. The only time I was embarrassed by something I wrote no one reported it and I went back and apologized for it once I stopped and realized that I'd allowed myself to answer from a place of pride and unjustified rancor instead of engaging. She was gracious enough to accept it.

I had a warning from Knight that was mostly a matter of communication. He'd waved me off but I didn't read it until after I'd posted another time on a subject. That one was funnier than it was irritating.

The one infraction I got was for strongly going at someone who had been routinely calling murder victims, among them fallen members of the armed forces, cowards. I think I called them waste matter in the punch bowl of life, which wasn't a simple insult, but one meant to infer the degree with which a) they were polluting discourse and b) I held their contributions in contempt.

If that's worth an infraction I'll wear it like an Olympic medal.

That said, I appreciated being able to discuss and air my objection to it and felt as though I'd been heard. I even understood the reason behind it, though I didn't agree with that either. :D

Here is the deal. All have sinned and fallen short of th glory of God! How much less serious is it to have an Internet infraction on your record?
It depends on how you see the infraction or infractions, I guess.

As to how serious it is...obviously it isn't really. But it's always easier to speak to how minorities should respond when you aren't in one and never will be.

shagster01

Angel4Truth. I rarely agree with you, but I don't see how anything you ever post would be infraction worthy. Those other boards must be pretty crappy.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK, This is the internet. It isn't real life. I have gotten my rudders burnt on a Tolkien forum and learned from it.
It time to move forward when you have gotten an infraction.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Unnecessarily disruptive. Can you tell me with a straight face that post was worth my getting an infraction?

Basically all it says is that I'm not allowed to insult Lighthouse. So I keep him on ignore and stay out of conversations he's in. How's that good for TOL?

Your post was completely undeserving of an infraction.

There are a few here who are pretty much untouchable. And yes, there are a few here who report those they don't like as often as they think they can get something to stick, because they don't have anything better to do than trying to get that person an infraction, and they know when the poster is an atheist, agnostic or more left than right that they have a better chance at making it happen. So often it's not that the targeted poster said something that was even worth reporting, it doesn't matter - the goal of the one doing the reporting is to get that infraction handed down. A lot of those lame reports are ignored, but not all of them, obviously.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The one infraction I got was for strongly going at someone who had been routinely calling murder victims, among them fallen members of the armed forces, cowards. I think I called them waste matter in the punch bowl of life, which wasn't a simple insult, but one meant to infer the degree with which a) they were polluting discourse and b) I held their contributions in contempt.

It depends on how you see the infraction or infractions, I guess.

As to how serious it is...obviously it isn't really. But it's always easier to speak to how minorities should respond when you aren't in one and never will be.
Agreed. As for the infraction you got, the post and poster in that infamous thread both earned the description you gave.

musterion

I totally misread this thread title. I thought it said, "The embarrassment of receiving an infection." Sorry.

rexlunae

I've only received one infraction, for "intentional blasphemy", which I can be certain is not accurate at least for the intentional description. Obviously, the blasphemy is in the eyes of the beholder. It was momentarily embarrassing, and it was definitely a surprise, but it also prompted me to return to the post in question and reconsider. I concluded that there wasn't really a better way to convey the point I was making, and that the standard applied was pretty unclear.

Call me unrepentant, but well, yeah, that applies to a lot of things. Still, I try to stick pretty close to the rules here, and I think I generally succeed. Others may disagree, but if so, there hasn't been a hint to the contrary from the mods save the one case.

rainee

This is such a dangerous place for me, I can see it!

You see, I agreed with Zoo in some of what he said, or most of it...

And I can see quite well in my imagination why Angel or Inzl would get infractions!

And not only that... When Town Heretic finally got his infraction after he had long before provoked and insulted me to near insanity back in the day, then I could finally feel some sort restitution done for my suffering, or some equality of life - or something.

But what good is all this honesty?

Do any of you want to hug now? Is the air more clear?

Maybe Del should get a n infraction for ripping scabs off old wounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.