The divinity of Jesus Christ.

keypurr

Webster's isn't a theological dictionary, and so is simply unreliable regarding technical theological terminology. Back to Post #55.

That's what makes your personal belief on this point decidedly heterodox.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Don't need a theological dictionary to describe an English word.

IMJerusha

Is Jesus divine or not. Support your position with scripture.

First and foremost, I would think about what it means to be divine. That which is given by or derived from God is divine. That is the most perfect definition, tmpov, of the word "divine" as it pertains to Yeshua. Some dictionaries state that "divine" is that which is extraordinarily perfect. This also pertains to Yeshua. Isaiah 7:14 is one of the most clear prophecies regarding Yeshua HaMashiach. Being called Immanuel, God with us, is the most compelling evidence of Yeshua's divinity, given by and derived from God, the Father. Not THE Father but of the Father and there can be nothing more divine than that which is part of the Father as Yeshua is.

People say there is only One God and they are right but God is not His Name, it is what He is and He is Yeshua's Father. As such, Yeshua is part of Him just as the Ruach is part of Him. Together, they are One.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
deity 1 a: often cap : divine nature or rank: the essintial nature of a god or of a supreme being: DIVINITY

di-vin-i-ty 1:the quality or state of being divine: nature or essence of God: GODHEAD (the divinity of Jesus) a celestial being inferior to the supreme God but superior to man<one of the subservient divinities>

daqq

deity 1 a: often cap : divine nature or rank: the essintial nature of a god or of a supreme being: DIVINITY

di-vin-i-ty 1:the quality or state of being divine: nature or essence of God: GODHEAD (the divinity of Jesus) a celestial being inferior to the supreme God but superior to man<one of the subservient divinities>

Which Enosh, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, king David, the Prophets, and many others, all prayed to the Father with-among, and worshiped the Father together with-among, ("pros ton theon", 'el-ha-'Elohim, with-among the Elohim-Angels, John 1:1, as of course pertaining to my previous post). :)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Which Enosh, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, king David, the Prophets, and many others, all prayed to the Father with-among, and worshiped the Father together with-among, ("pros ton theon", 'el-ha-'Elohim, with-among the Elohim-Angels, John 1:1, as of course pertaining to my previous post). :)

I said
Well seeing as how divinity, isn't in the bible. The next highest authority for definitions would be websters. And that is the definition from websters dictionary.

daqq

I said
Well seeing as how divinity, isn't in the bible. The next highest authority for definitions would be websters. And that is the definition from websters dictionary.

What is wrong with Thayer's, Strong's, BDB and others?

Original Strong's Ref. #2316
Romanized theos
Pronounced theh'-os
of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with GSN3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very:
KJV--X exceeding, God, god[-ly, -ward].

BDB - Strong's Greek Definition for #2316
2316 // yeov // theos // theh'-os //
of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with 3588 ) the
supreme Divinity; TDNT - 3:65,322; n m
AV - God 1320, god 13, godly 3, God-ward + 4214 2, misc 5; 1343
1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities
2) the Godhead, trinity
2a) God the Father, the first person in the trinity
2b) Christ, the second person of the trinity
2c) Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity
3) spoken of the only and true God
3a) refers to the things of God
3b) his counsels, interests, things due to him
4) whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in
any way
4a) God's representative or viceregent
4a1) of magistrates and judges
http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/strongs/ref/?stgh=greek&stnm=2316

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 2316: Θεός
Θεός, Θεοῦ, ὁ and ἡ, vocative θῇ, once in the N. T., Matthew 27:46; besides in Deuteronomy 3:24; Judges 16:28; Judges 21:3; (2 Samuel 7:25; Isaiah 38:20); Sir. 23:4; Wis. 9:1; 3Macc. 6:3; 4 Macc. 6:27; Act. Thom. 44f, 57; Eus. h. e. 2, 23, 16; (5, 20, 7; vit. Const. 2, 55, 1. 59); cf. Winers Grammar, § 8, 2 c.; (Buttmann, 12 (11)); ((on the eight or more proposed derivations see Vanicek, p. 386, who follows Curtius, (after Döderlein), p. 513ff in connecting it with a root meaning to supplicate, implore; hence, the implored; per contra cf. Max Müller, Chips etc. 4:227f; Liddell and Scott, under the word, at the end)); (from Homer down); the Sept. for אֵל, אֶלֹהִים and יְהוָה; a god, a goddess;
1. a general appellation of deities or divinities:
Continues here: http://biblehub.com/greek/2316.htm

It is much more the like the Hebrew "Elohim" which has a variety of meanings such as God, gods, angels, judges, holy, (an "elohim seed", "godly seed", or even "holy seed", Malachi 2:15). The way that "God" is used in modern mainstream Christianity is way too strict but it must be so if one desires to make Yeshua equal with the Father who is God Almighty.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
What is wrong with Thayer's, Strong's, BDB and others?

Original Strong's Ref. #2316
Romanized theos
Pronounced theh'-os
of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with GSN3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very:
KJV--X exceeding, God, god[-ly, -ward].

BDB - Strong's Greek Definition for #2316
2316 // yeov // theos // theh'-os //
of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with 3588 ) the
supreme Divinity; TDNT - 3:65,322; n m
AV - God 1320, god 13, godly 3, God-ward + 4214 2, misc 5; 1343
1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities
2) the Godhead, trinity
2a) God the Father, the first person in the trinity
2b) Christ, the second person of the trinity
2c) Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity
3) spoken of the only and true God
3a) refers to the things of God
3b) his counsels, interests, things due to him
4) whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in
any way
4a) God's representative or viceregent
4a1) of magistrates and judges
http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/strongs/ref/?stgh=greek&stnm=2316

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 2316: Θεός
Θεός, Θεοῦ, ὁ and ἡ, vocative θῇ, once in the N. T., Matthew 27:46; besides in Deuteronomy 3:24; Judges 16:28; Judges 21:3; (2 Samuel 7:25; Isaiah 38:20); Sir. 23:4; Wis. 9:1; 3Macc. 6:3; 4 Macc. 6:27; Act. Thom. 44f, 57; Eus. h. e. 2, 23, 16; (5, 20, 7; vit. Const. 2, 55, 1. 59); cf. Winers Grammar, § 8, 2 c.; (Buttmann, 12 (11)); ((on the eight or more proposed derivations see Vanicek, p. 386, who follows Curtius, (after Döderlein), p. 513ff in connecting it with a root meaning to supplicate, implore; hence, the implored; per contra cf. Max Müller, Chips etc. 4:227f; Liddell and Scott, under the word, at the end)); (from Homer down); the Sept. for אֵל, אֶלֹהִים and יְהוָה; a god, a goddess;
1. a general appellation of deities or divinities:
Continues here: http://biblehub.com/greek/2316.htm

It is much more the like the Hebrew "Elohim" which has a variety of meanings such as God, gods, angels, judges, holy, (an "elohim seed", "godly seed", or even "holy seed", Malachi 2:15). The way that "God" is used in modern mainstream Christianity is way too strict but it must be so if one desires to make Yeshua equal with the Father who is God Almighty.

I said
I think this part is close. A variety of meanings.

It is much more the like the Hebrew "Elohim" which has a variety of meanings such as God, gods, angels, judges,

daqq

I said
I think this part is close. A variety of meanings.

It is much more the like the Hebrew "Elohim" which has a variety of meanings such as God, gods, angels, judges,

Yes, and these things can be shown from what still remains in what we have written. For instance the author of Hebrews quotes from a Psalm in the following passage:

Hebrews 2:6-9 KJV
6. But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? [Psalm 8:4]
7. Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; [GSN#0032 aggelos-angelous] thou crownedst him with glory and honour, [Psalm 8:5] and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
8. Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. [Psalm 8:6] For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
9. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels [GSN#0032 aggelos-angelous] for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

However when we look into the Psalm which has been quoted we see that the word there in the Hebrew text is Elohim, showing not only that the author has likely taken this quote from the Septuagint, but also, that those who rendered the Septuagint from the Hebrew surely must have believed that sometimes the word Elohim meant specifically "angels" or they would never have rendered Elohim as Angelous in the Greek. This means that we need to be keenly aware that sometimes, and especially when we see Elohim with the definite article, (ha-Elohim) it can and probably does imply "the Angels", (of YHWH Elohim). Stephen also hints at this in his testimony from Acts 7:53. Even modern translators cannot agree on how to properly render the passage from the Psalm because of the dilemma it creates for lack of understanding these things:

Psalm 8:5 KJV
5. For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, [HSN#430 'Elohiym] and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

Psalm 8:5 YLT (Young's Literal Bible)
5. And causest him to lack a little of Godhead, [HSN#430 'Elohiym] And with honour and majesty compassest him.

Psalm 8:5 ASV
5. For thou hast made him but little lower than God, [HSN#430 'Elohiym] And crownest him with glory and honor.

Look at the squirming going on here above! :crackup:
The author of Hebrews clearly tells us that here Elohim means ANGELS. :)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
That is, God by Nature or Essence. Therefore, to say that Jesus Christ is "fully divine" is to state that He is "entirely God by Nature or Essence."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

I said
I need alittle help understanding when people get outside the scriptures to explain about scripture. What does Essence mean?
There are rules to believing scripture. Don't think beyond what is written. And don't add one thing to the verses or take one thing away from the verses. Now when you use words like trinity, deity, essence I need you to define them for me. So I can follow the conversation.

1 Cor 4:6
6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against the other.
(NKJ)

Rev 22:18-19
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
(NKJ)