The Cosmos

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Genesis 2:17
but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Epoch of time.
After Adam ate the fruit he continued to live for nearly a thousand years until he finally died.
A day can be an epoch of time.
Duh. And it also means a normal 24 hour period.

The meaning of day is determined by the context in which it is used. ALWAYS. Moses wrote in Genesis 1:5, "And there was evening, and there was morning, DAY ONE.

Meaning, ONE LITERAL 24-HOUR DAY, the first of it's kind.

WeberHome

Re: The Cosmos

I can heat a cup of water using microwave radiation.
Is there enough stray microwave radiation in the universe to keep the earth from freezing into a ball of ice curing the three days between the creation of the earth and the creation of the Sun?

God didn't say let there be warmth: He said let there be light.

But no matter. God created the sun, the moon, and stars on the fourth day. He didn't begin populating the earth with creatures till afterwards-- on the fifth and sixth days.

Plus, the Earth is a colossal, ferociously active cauldron of high temperature molten rock; and there's abundant evidence of massive volcanic events in the Earth's dateless past. With all that going on, I seriously doubt that the Earth could be frozen over in just three days.
_

genuineoriginal

That is not what God said, it is what you say.

Genesis 1:14-19
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.​

When you go outside during the day and see the great light in the sky, what is that great light called?

6days

Genesis 2:17
but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Epoch of time.
After Adam ate the fruit he continued to live for nearly a thousand years until he finally died.
A day can be an epoch of time.
You seem to have a really difficult time with context. In the English language can you tell the difference between 'in my fathers day', and 'on the 4th day my
father...'?? The use of the word day is similar and how it is used in both Hebrew and English. the meaning is always determined by context and is easy to understand.

Regarding the verse you mention.... study it a little bit using some helps such as footnotes, other translations, and Strong's. Take a look at Young's literal translation. You will find that the actual meaning is something like 'dying you will die'. The first is accurate and not allegorical. Adam the begin to Die the day he sinned.

6days

CherubRam said:
...(quotes verses)...]/quote]Those verses are great and help show that the creation days were what we call a 24-hour day. Context...context...context.
Are you interested in knowing why the Hebrew context does not allow for anything other than a normal day in Genesis 1?

Jesus taught the young earth model. Paul argued against old earth beliefs. Why not trust the plain teaching of scripture?

CherubRam said:
...For certain there is a parabolic element to the story, but as you know parables are mixed with the literal....
Nope... Christ and various Bible authors refer to the creation event as true history.

It is frustrating that so many atheists understand the importance of first Adam to the Gospel better than compromising Christians do. If physical death is not a result of a literal first Adam and a literal first sin, then the cross and a literal last Adam becomes meaningless.

If Genesis1 is "parabolic" then why did Last Adam have to defeat physical death? In other words death would be part of God's very good creation ..... And it is not the final enemy as scripture tells us; and.... Christ certainly would not have needed to defeat physical death at the cross.

CherubRam

The Rambam, amongst other Sages, state that the story of Genesis and Creation is not to be taken literally.

genuineoriginal

God didn't say let there be warmth: He said let there be light.
There is no reason to assume that the light is only electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum.

In physics, electromagnetic radiation (EM radiation or EMR) refers to the waves (or their quanta, photons) of the electromagnetic field, propagating (radiating) through space-time, carrying electromagnetic radiant energy. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, (visible) light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

The visible spectrum is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is visible to the human eye. Electromagnetic radiation in this range of wavelengths is called visible light or simply light.

there's abundant evidence of massive volcanic events in the Earth's dateless past.
I am only aware of massive volcanic events that have happened at the time of the flood and afterwards.
I am not aware of any volcanic events that preceded the flood.

CherubRam

I, among other Biblical Literalists, state that The Rambam is not to be taken seriously when he makes foolish statements like that.

[FONT=&quot]Dreams Parables Proverbs Riddles Sayings Visions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bible often is written in a parable without giving any indication that it is parabolic.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Numbers 12:8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With him I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the LORD. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 49:4[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will turn my ear to a proverb; with the harp I will expound my riddle:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Proverbs 1:6[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Daniel 5:12[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He did this because Daniel, whom the king called Belteshazzar, was found to have a keen mind and knowledge and understanding, and also the ability to interpret dreams, explain riddles and solve difficult problems. Call for Daniel, and he will tell you what the writing means.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ezekiel 20:49[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then I said, “Sovereign LORD, they are saying of me, ‘Isn’t he just telling parables?’”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hosea 12:10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I spoke to the prophets, gave them many visions and told parables through them.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 13:3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 13:10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 13:13[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is why I speak to them in parables: “Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 13:34[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 13:35[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet: “I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 78[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 I will open my mouth with a parable; I will utter hidden things, things from of old...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Similitude Definition[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Similarity and resemblance; also known as synonyms and likeness.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Closely resembling another; a counterpart.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A perceptible likeness.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Archaic. A simile, allegory, or parable.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][Middle English, from Old French, from Latin similitūdō, from similis, like. See similar.][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The quality or state of being alike: affinity, alikeness, analogy, comparison, correspondence, likeness, parallelism, resemblance, similarity, uniformity, uniformness. See: same / different / compare.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Parable Definition[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A parable is purposely intended to convey a hidden and secret meaning other than that contained in the words themselves, and which may or may not bear a special reference to the hearer or reader."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A parable, though their significance is not always explicitly stated, though parables are not necessarily hidden or secret, and at times straightforward and obvious. It is the allegory that typically features hidden meanings. The object of a parable is to enlighten the hearer or reader to a case in which the person has no direct concern, and upon which therefore an investigative judgment may be elicited to discover the meaning.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Proverb Definition[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A short well-known saying that expresses an obvious truth and often offers advice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Synonyms: maxim, axiom, adage, saying, aphorism, saw, truism, epigram[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Riddle Definition[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A riddle is a statement or question having a double or veiled meaning, put forth as a puzzle to be solved. Riddles are of two types: enigmas, which are problems generally expressed in metaphorical or allegorical language that require ingenuity and careful thinking for their solution, and conundrums, which are questions relying for their effects on punning in either the question or the answer. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vision Definition[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In spirituality including religion, visions comprise inspirational renderings, generally of a future state and / or of a mythical being, and are believed (by followers of certain religions) to come from a deity, sometimes directly or indirectly via prophets, and serve to inspire or prod believers as part of a revelation or an epiphany. Some take the word vision to be synonymous with apparition.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For religious visions in a literary form, see apocalyptic literature.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Religious visions are generally categorized as miracles.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In addition to the religious visions mentioned, the term vision (theoria) can refer to the experience of God, as the result of common sense.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In spirituality including religion, visions comprise inspirational renderings, generally of a future state and/or of a mythical being, and are believed (by followers of certain religions) to come from a deity, sometimes directly or indirectly via prophets, and serve to inspire believers as part of a revelation or an epiphany.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A dream is an experience during the night while sleeping.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dream and similar may also refer to:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Daydream, a day vision or kind of fantasy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dreams are sequence images, sounds and feelings experienced while sleeping.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Word Association[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Definition[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Word Association is a common exchange of words that are associated together. A logical connection.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Synonyms Definition[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Synonyms are words with the same or similar meanings. Words that are synonyms are said to be synonymous, and the state of being a synonym is called synonymy. The word comes from Ancient Greek syn (σύν) ("with") and onoma (ὄνομα) ("name"). An example of synonyms: If talking about a long time or an extended time, long and extended become synonyms. In the figurative sense, two words are often said to be synonymous if they have the same connotation.[/FONT]

WeberHome

Q: If the Earth was without a Sun to warm if for the first three days: wouldn't it have gone into deep freeze and killed all the vegetation?

A: The dark side of the Moon gets down to -279º F so it's possible that the Earth would've gone into deep freeze. However, the creation of the Earth wasn't left up to nature; viz: it wasn't a natural event; it was a supernatural event.

One of the creator's names in the Old Testament is Shadday (shad-dah'-ee) which basically means all powerful; viz: controller of everything, including, but not limited to; the cosmos' natural laws, i.e. physics. Left up to nature, the Earth likely would've frozen over and all the vegetation perished; but not with Shadday in charge.

Scientists will never, ever figure out the origin of the cosmos because they're searching for a natural cause; which is tantamount to a blind man, in a dark room, looking for a black cat that isn't there.
_

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Q: If the Earth was without a Sun to warm if for the first three days: wouldn't it have gone into deep freeze and killed all the vegetation?

A: Plants were created on Day 3, the sun on Day 4.

4-3=1.

There was light from Day 1.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

WeberHome

According to the 2016 World Almanac, there were a combined 5,060,258,000 adherents of the six major religions believing in some form of supreme being-- Baha'i, Christianity, Hindu, Judaism, Islam, and Zoroastrian. That accounted for roughly 68% of the world's population around that time.

Atheists came in at 136,483,000, which was roughly 1.84% of the world's population around that time.

It's sometimes claimed that most of those five billion+ peoples who practiced some form of theistic religion were undereducated, and many lived in countries where the law of the land requires them to believe.

However; of the six deistic religions listed above, in North America there were 292.833 million adherents and a mere 2.269 million atheists. That's a whopping 129:1 ratio in an area of the world known for religious liberty and educational opportunity.

A movie based upon Carl Sagan's novel "Contact" came out in 1997 starring Jodi Foster. Her character was at first rejected to pilot an alien space-travel machine for the reason given below.

"Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody; and I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God-- someone who honestly thinks the other 95% of us suffer from some form of mass delusion."
_

WeberHome

The cosmos is expanding in all directions, and not only expanding, but the rate of its expansion isn't uniform.

The latest data suggests that the expansion is roughly 73.24± kilometers per second per megaparsec. (Parsecs are a measure of distance; with one megaparsec amounting to roughly 3.26 million light years.)

For example: the center of the Virgo Cluster is roughly 16.5 megaparsecs from Earth. So the rate of expansion relative to that area of the universe is about 1,208 kilometers per second. (751 miles)

To put that in perspective: the muzzle velocity of a 55 grain, .223 caliber rifle bullet is roughly 3,200 feet per second; which translates to a mere 6/10ths of a mile per second. Were someone to try to shoot the Virgo galaxy cluster in the back with a .223 the exact moment it passed the spot where they were standing, the bullet would never catch up fast enough to hit it.

Anyway; scientific reasoning says that if the universe is getting bigger, then there must have been a time when celestial objects were closer together than they are now: much, much closer; in fact so close that all the matter in the universe was compacted and condensed into a mere speck. But scientific reasoning has a fatal flaw; it doesn't reckon with intelligent design.

According to Genesis 1:16, God set the stars in place. In other words; instead of beginning the expansion of the universe from a starting point; the creator began its expansion with a starting lineup.

NOTE: Nobody knows yet what's ballooning the universe. The cause has thus far been attributed to a mysterious force called, for convenience sake, dark energy. Scientists as a rule are a patient lot. I'm pretty confident that some day they will discover the cause of the universe's accelerating expansion; and it would not surprise me one whit if the cause is entirely natural rather than divine.
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

Some years ago I reasoned within myself how lucky we are to live on a magnetic planet because without Earth's polarized magnetism, compasses wouldn't work. Well; I love compasses, and in point of fact own several.

But then I found out that were our planet not magnetic, living organisms as we know them couldn't survive here due to bombardment by charged particles hurled our way by the solar wind. The Earth's magnetic field deflects a very large percentage of the solar wind's charged particles, thus protecting life on Earth from annihilation. So as it turns out, the Earth's magnetism is by design rather than by fortune.

But this is a very important consideration in science's search for exoplanets suitable for life. If a candidate planet lacks polarized magnetism then forget it; that planet would be no more suitable for life than Venus or Mars because its host star's solar wind would be keeping it perpetually devastated.
_

WeberHome

When people reach what is commonly called the age of reasoning; some of their very first questions are: Why am I here? Where did I come from? What is the meaning of life, and is there a purpose for mine? Is there a reason why I exist?

I think it's very normal (or at least very common) for people to seek a justification for their existence; and without it, they can only conclude that the human experience is futile; which can be roughly defined as serving no useful purpose; for example:

Nobel Prize winner, author of several best-selling books, and recipient of at least a dozen honorary degrees, physicist Steven Weinberg (who views religion as an enemy of science), in his book "The First Three Minutes" wrote: The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it seems pointless. But if there is no solace in the fruits of our research, there is at least some consolation in the research itself . . . the effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of a farce and gives it some of the grace of tragedy.

What a dismal appraisal. In Mr. Weinberg's opinion, the human experience scarce escapes the categories of farce and tragedy; its quest for knowledge seems the only thing that gives humanity any justification to exist at all. The universe? It's just a meaningless void decorated with fascinating objects --a carnival side show of cosmic curiosities, so to speak.

Wouldn't it be sad if we only lived and died like insects and fungi? I mean, what would be the point of it all? They say a mind is a terrible thing to waste. What real advantage is it to have something so useful as a human mind if it's only going to die and stop working after many years of learning and experience? And what real advantage is it for the mind of the present to make the world a better place for the next generation of minds if the mind of the present doesn't live to see it? That's really no more significant an existence than that of the individuals in a bee hive or a termite colony.

I think people find comfort in perceiving themselves part of a grand scheme instead of walking across the stage of their all-too-brief life as an insignificant speck in a pointless cosmos. Belief that there's someone somewhere above themselves gives people's existence meaning and purpose which, in my opinion, is at least one of the reasons why supreme beings are so popular.

Galileo felt that science and religion are allies rather than enemies-- two different languages telling the same story; a story of symmetry and balance: heaven and hell, positive and negative, weak and strong, right and left, up and down, night and day, hot and cold, God and Satan. Science and religion are not at odds; no, in reality, science is just simply too young to understand.

Dr. Robert Jastow, founder of the Goddard Institute for space studies at NASA, in his book "God And The Astronomers" says: Strange developments are going on in astronomy. One of these is the discovery that the universe had a beginning. And that means there has to be a Beginner. The scientist has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak, and as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.
_

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess addition is beyond this dude. :chuckle:

Plants were created on Day 3, the sun on Day 4.

4-3=1.

There was light from Day 1.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk