the church

Right Divider

Body part
The Scripture tells us to CHURCH, if church was a verb. So the Scripture tells us to DO church. And the Catholic Church has been doing Church since the Apostolic era.

Some people forget that John 14:26 was said by the Lord to His Apostles-in-training, and not to everybody. They didn't write it all down (Jn21:27). They did tell their successors though; the bishops of the Church. The Magisterium.
Why is there no mention of the replacement of James in the scripture? (Acts 12)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Scripture tells us to meet together.. in homes... it doesn't tell us to church.
Meeting together is under the umbrella of CHURCH though, you'd agree? Scripture doesn't say to meet together in homes for some other purpose than church, right? It's always Church that's in view, correct?
//true story.

Also, the apostles were no different from any other Christians at the time... they ALL received the Holy Spirit.
In particularly the way in which the Lord promised that He would come upon His Apostles though? John 14:26 isn't a promise that every baptized person will have infallible knowledge of the truth. I don't see that in there. And partly I don't see it in there because that's not what I see in the world. There are a thousand-and-1 opinions for every thousand baptized people.
As a matter of fact, they witnessed people receive the Holy Spirit without baptism and it confused the heck out of them.
Yeah.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Why is there no mention of the replacement of James in the scripture? (Acts 12)
The Church's sacrament of Holy Orders (the laying on of hands), prefigured in the Pentateuch, was already in operation.

(Cf. Numbers 11:17, 27:15-23 [esp. Nm27:18-20, 22-23]; Deuteronomy 34:9)
Acts 6:5-6, 13:2-3 (cf. 1st Timothy 4:14, 5:22)

Right Divider

Body part
The Church's sacrament of Holy Orders (the laying on of hands), prefigured in the Pentateuch, was already in operation.

(Cf. Numbers 11:17, 27:15-23 [esp. Nm27:18-20, 22-23]; Deuteronomy 34:9)
Acts 6:5-6, 13:2-3 (cf. 1st Timothy 4:14, 5:22)
Cute way not to answer a simple question.

Yes, I know that the RCC attempts to steal those things that belong to Israel.

HisServant

Meeting together is under the umbrella of CHURCH though, you'd agree? Scripture doesn't say to meet together in homes for some other purpose than church, right? It's always Church that's in view, correct?
In particularly the way in which the Lord promised that He would come upon His Apostles though? John 14:26 isn't a promise that every baptized person will have infallible knowledge of the truth. I don't see that in there. And partly I don't see it in there because that's not what I see in the world. There are a thousand-and-1 opinions for every thousand baptized people.
Yeah.

Meeting together does not necessarily mean church... they never had a liturgy or formula for what they did when they met together. Besides, the meaning of 'church' that you understand is not consistent with the meaning of 'church' that the apostles had.

They didn't read a passage for the Old Testament then read one from the New Testament, have communion, sing and pray a bit and go home.

They ate meals together, had fellowship with one another, they may not even have heard a sermon (most recorded sermons from Jesus and the Apostles were to Non-Converts) they may or may not have sung anything. To them it was like a large organic family get together to worship and build one another up.

The Eucharist that you do, isn't even close to what they did back then. You partake in an institutional sterilized ritual. The church back then made sure that everyone ate a meal prior to setting aside time to break bread and share a cup of wine. In remembrance of what Jesus did and to look forward to his return.

As far as authority... it was totally voluntary. Those that preached in error or another Gospel were shunned... they were not killed for heresy or 'excommunicated'.. they were just avoided.

We are all one big extended family... we are not just people sitting in pews, repeating a prayer and taking a wafer from a priests hands.

HisServant

Please confess now, that you believe that the Lord did already return in AD 70.

Then we can go on.

Scripture seems to point to that happening. I give it a 50/50 chance.

1.) Everyone is dead that Jesus preached to when he said that some would be alive when he returned.

2.) John said the event was to happen soon.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Scripture seems to point to that happening. I give it a 50/50 chance.

1.) Everyone is dead that Jesus preached to when he said that some would be alive when he returned.

2.) John said the event was to happen soon.
Would you agree that in his Gospel account, written after Peter's death (Jn21:19), John may have indicated that the Lord had already returned? I'm thinking of John 21:20-23:

Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?​

Emphasis mine, obviously.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Your question assumes the validity of the entirely unbiblical 16th-century Protestant notion of sola scriptura, which merely refutes itself. Try again.

No it doesn't.

Even the Pharisees didn't go as far as your ridiculous papacy, they held to the scriptures. You all hold to a man god,that's why nobody in Israel is Catholic, because your belief has no place anywhere except among power greedy Romanists :rolleyes:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You reject the Incarnation and Trinity, then?

You Catholics are cognitively dissident about what your leader has historically been called or proclaimed themselves as through history.

They have made their selves commensurate to God, issued that they are unblemished like Mary, and that to reject them is to reject the most Holy.

That's a bunch of historical madness that caused nothing but trouble, but pretend I'm talking about the Trinity and detract from the reality of what I'm saying. It make you seem so honest :rolleyes:

God's Truth

Already answered---and corrected---in the source cited in Post #683 above. Try again.

There is no excuse for not obeying God.

The Catholics do worship statues. They bow to them, and incense them.

"But God, the statues are of Jesus and Mary...."

"But God, we are pretending that we are bowing to Mary, the woman who gave birth to Jesus."

"But God, we are bowing to a statue of a really good priest, a priest who loved you."

How many ways can you make an excuse for not obeying God?

God's Truth

"But God, when our pope wears long flowing robes, what else should he do, for he is representing YOU. Shouldn't he dress really nice?"

"But God, our pope takes the seat of most importance because YOU are most important."

"But God, we worship Mary because she brought Jesus into this world along with You."

LEAN NOT on YOUR own understanding!

In all your ways obey Him!

There is no if, and, or But about it.

Obey God's Word.

HisServant

Your question assumes the validity of the entirely unbiblical 16th-century Protestant notion of sola scriptura, which merely refutes itself. Try again.

But the themes of scripture cannot be controverted by the RCC. God tasks us as to what our duty is... the RCC has forgotten what that duty is.

There is nothing left in your doctrines and traditions that is compatible with what the original Apostles taught and how they ministered. You have turned it into the religion of the Roman Empire... enforced with the sword upon pain of death.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
But the themes of scripture cannot be controverted by the RCC. God tasks us as to what our duty is... the RCC has forgotten what that duty is.

There is nothing left in your doctrines and traditions that is compatible with what the original Apostles taught and how they ministered. You have turned it into the religion of the Roman Empire... enforced with the sword upon pain of death.

how much time to spend attacking the church?