Shots fired at Texas Mohammed art exhibit

northwye

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2015/05/03/garland-curtis-culwell-center-swat/26848435/

"GARLAND — Police in Garland say they believe the two men killed outside a controversial art show Sunday night were there to shoot the approximately 200 people attending the event before a traffic officer intervened.

The suspects were identified as Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi of Phoenix."

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 there was a thread on Facebook sort of making fun of the proposed Texas legislation to allow university students to carry guns. Not only are college classrooms soft targets for Islamic terrorists, but so are most public schools, and events where many unarmed people are gathered.

Tinark

I don't think so. The cartoons that upset a lot of Islam preceded violent acts on the part of the extremists who committed their stupidly violent acts of cowardice in response.

Can you point to an art event featuring drawings of Muhammad before there were violent protests and calls for murder of artists in response to the Danish cartoons?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Can you point to an art event featuring drawings of Muhammad before there were violent protests and calls for murder of artists in response to the Danish cartoons?
That's a bit misleading as goal posts go. I noted that violent acts followed the insult instead of preceding it. What the art festivals do is provide particular focus for the violent nut-wings, upping the ante with a public intent to offer insult and absent the redeeming value of satire as the aim.

I don't find a great deal of value in it. I don't see it as an exemplar of noteworthy free speech in exercise.

Tinark

That's a bit misleading as goal posts go. I noted that violent acts followed the insult instead of preceding it. What the art festivals do is provide particular focus for the violent nut-wings, upping the ante with a public intent to offer insult and absent the redeeming value of satire as the aim.

I don't find a great deal of value in it. I don't see it as an exemplar of noteworthy free speech in exercise.

It is more so intended as a protest against theocratic encroachment on Western values (in particular, theocratic curtailments to freedom of speech and expression). Do all protests need to be exemplar in their nature to get your seal of approval?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It is more so intended as a protest against theocratic encroachment on Western values (in particular, theocratic curtailments to freedom of speech and expression).
Hard to see that in the narrowed focus/invitation. Or, it seems as though there's at least one other agenda in play here, if not leading the rest.

Among the entries were, according to Christopher Knight in the LA Times:

...images of the prophet impaled on a pencil; sporting a beard filled with teeming snakes; juggling severed heads while riding a unicycle; and, defecating and urinating on the Koran while sporting a toilet-paper turban.​

Do all protests need to be exemplar in their nature ...
To be noted as exemplar or failing to be noted as failing? Yes. Now, moving past the attempt to taint by association:

to get your seal of approval?
Do I have to agree with something to approve of it? Yes in the subjective sense and no in the objective. That is, I can approve of anyone peacefully exercising their right of free speech without thinking much of the method/manner, be it the above noted examples or a cross bobbing in urine, the Klan marching or Westboro protesting.

fool

Hall of Fame
Bait.
you can greet everyone -
:wave:
:think: Nah...After the first couple they'd just catch on that it's a trap.
They will if you go blabbing about it on the internet........

If you don't push the boundaries you'll find them shrinking around you.

musterion

The "shouting 'Fire!' in a crowded theater" analogy applies only when the theater is not, in fact, on fire.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. - Obama speech by President Obama delivered to the United Nations General Assembly on 25 September 2012

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Hard to see that in the narrowed focus/invitation. Or, it seems as though there's at least one other agenda in play here, if not leading the rest.

Among the entries were, according to Christopher Knight in the LA Times:

...images of the prophet impaled on a pencil; sporting a beard filled with teeming snakes; juggling severed heads while riding a unicycle; and, defecating and urinating on the Koran while sporting a toilet-paper turban.​

:doh: Some protest (by at least some of them). Of course I don't condone violent attacks but it's hard to be overly sympathetic when that's what they were doing. :plain:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Barbarian checks)

"The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt — it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted, "Muslims, Christians, we are one." The future must not belong to those who bully women — it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons.

The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country's resources — it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs, the workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated, or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obamafuture.asp#A0MPbmh0kCfjdmyv.99

Selective editing always does wonders. I should have known.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
To what purpose?

If you don't push the boundaries you'll find them shrinking around you.
A man who values everything values nothing. Or, I think it depends on the boundaries. I've watched the public square and seen the impact of that particular philosophy on it over a few decades. It hasn't gone well.

zoo22

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. - Obama speech by President Obama delivered to the United Nations General Assembly on 25 September 2012

"It is time to leave the call of violence and the politics of division behind. On so many issues, we face a choice between the promise of the future, or the prisons of the past. And we cannot afford to get it wrong. We must seize this moment. And America stands ready to work with all who are willing to embrace a better future.

The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt — it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted, "Muslims, Christians, we are one." The future must not belong to those who bully women — it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons.

The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country's resources — it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs, the workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated, or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied.

Let us condemn incitement against Sufi Muslims and Shiite pilgrims. It's time to heed the words of Gandhi: "Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit." Together, we must work towards a world where we are strengthened by our differences, and not defined by them. That is what America embodies, that's the vision we will support."

Full speech

fool

Hall of Fame
To what purpose?
Smoke out the crazy ones.

A man who values everything values nothing. Or, I think it depends on the boundaries. I've watched the public square and seen the impact of that particular philosophy on it over a few decades. It hasn't gone well.
Someone that will blow themselves up over a comic about Mohamed will blow themselves up over other things as well.

fool

Hall of Fame
:doh: Some protest (by at least some of them). Of course I don't condone violent attacks but it's hard to be overly sympathetic when that's what they were doing. :plain:

They were trolling.
And it worked.