Shots fired at Texas Mohammed art exhibit

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If I ran an art display of blasphemous Jesus cartoons with the sole purpose of mocking Christianity, and a wacko Christian extremist came in shooting, I would accept that that was a real risk I ran by doing the display. It would not justify the shooter, but it isn't like I wouldn't know what I was doing by putting the display up.

Then you think you are asking for it, when you mock Christians and God. Got it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm certainly expecting an angry response, yes.

But you said they were asking to be possibly murdered and gave other scenerios where you believe murder is being "asked for"

I really understand why you are trying to dodge that, really. I get it.

shagster01

But you said they were asking to be possibly murdered and gave other scenerios where you believe murder is being "asked for"

I really understand why you are trying to dodge that, really. I get it.

They were not asking to get murdered specifically. They were asking for an angry response from extremists, which we all know can be violent.

As I always say... I have not found it too hard to not get shot in my life. 99% of people who get shot put themselves in position to, whether deserved or not. 1% just have bad luck.
That's my unofficial stat, btw.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
They were not asking to get murdered specifically. They were asking for an angry response from extremists, which we all know can be violent.

As I always say... I have not found it too hard to not get shot in my life. 99% of people who get shot put themselves in position to, whether deserved or not. 1% just have bad luck.
That's my unofficial stat, btw.

Then you believe that if some extremist Christian gets angry and violent toward you for mocking them or God, that you have it coming since you asked for it?

Tinark

It's not the same. Walking home after dark is not done with the sole purpose of provoking rapists. This art display did have the sole purpose of provoking extremists.

Can you really think of no other reason for that art display? Really?

shagster01

If someone points a gun at you and says "convert to Islam or I pull the trigger", and you say "no" and you are shot, were you "asking for it"?

That is nothing like this situation. My response was about results of expression, yours is out in left field.

Tinark

Please enlighten me. Why else do a mocking islam art display?

To stand up for freedom of speech and expression, to not cower to intimidation and threats. As soon as killing artists is a thing of the past, so too will these type of art events.

Tinark

That is nothing like this situation. My response was about results of expression, yours is out in left field.

You are pretty much saying that someone taking a risky action and taking an action that provokes others is "asking for it" - what can be more risky and provocative than refusing a command to convert to Islam from someone pointing a gun at you?

Tinark

I could have kept my mouth shut and opinions to myself.

In other words, cower to intimidation and threats. If we as a society cower to intimidation and threats, do we really have freedom of expression?

What if you proclaiming your personal beliefs one day is a provocative action that spurs religious extremists to want to shoot you?

What if Malala decided to keep silent about standing up for girls' education, as doing so was a provocative action to the Pakistani Taliban? Was she "asking for it" when she got shot in the head?

Nazaroo

284AB34200000578-3066897-image-a-16_1430718845517.jpg

An American jihadi allegedly called for Charlie Hebdo-style attacl at a Texas 'draw Muhammad' event more than a week before it was attacked by two gunmen.

Mohamed Abdullahi Hassan, a 25-year-old fighter with the Al Shabaab terrorist group in Somalia, is thought to have posted messages urging violence against the event in the city of Garland, pre-empting the eventual attack.
The two armed men were shot dead by security after they opened fire outside the Muhammad Art Exhibit event, where participants were told to draw the Islamic prophet - considered blasphemy by his followers - for the chance of a $10,000 prize.
Hassan is believed to have posted a message on Twitter calling for the violence on April 23.
A twitter account believed to be his wrote:
'The brothers from the Charlie hebdo [sic] attack did their part.
It's time for brothers in the #US to do their part.'
This was followed by a hyperlink to a news story describing the event, which took place at Garland's Curtis Culwell Center Sunday night.
The account which posted the message was named Mujahid Miski, believed to be Hassan's jihadi alias.

According to the International Business Times, Hassan lived in Washington state and Minnesota before leaving the United States in 2008 to join Al Shabaab in Somalia.

The paper noted that he also posted frequent messages in support of ISIS on his account and is thought to be involved in radicalizing and recruiting other would-be militants.

284DA69000000578-3067293-image-m-24_1430757029152.jpg

Elton Simpson and another gunman stormed the event in
Garland, Texas on Sunday night and were both killed by police.

former terror suspect shot dead by police on Sunday after he and another gunman stormed an anti-Islam art contest in Texas had said he intended to 'fight to the death' for Allah.Elton Simpson, from Phoenix, Arizona, was killed outside the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland after a security guard was shot during a controversial competition for the best caricature of the Prophet Muhammad.
Court documents have now revealed that Simpson, who was born in Illinois before moving to Phoenix and converting to Islam, was well known to the FBI.
In 2010, he was convicted of lying to federal agents about his plans to travel to Somalia, where they suspected he planned to join a terror group.

shagster01

You are pretty much saying that someone taking a risky action and taking an action that provokes others is "asking for it" - what can be more risky and provocative than refusing a command to convert to Islam from someone pointing a gun at you?

Nope. I'm saying that doing something WITH THE SOLE REASON of provoking others is asking for it. How, in your example, was the person with the gun to his head doing something with the sole purpose of offending the Muslim?

Tinark

Nope. I'm saying that doing something WITH THE SOLE REASON of provoking others is asking for it. How, in your example, was the person with the gun to his head doing something with the sole purpose of offending the Muslim?

As I already explained, there are plausible reasons for the art event other than offending the Muslim. Furthermore, not all Muslims take offense to depictions of the prophet Muhammad, nor are such depictions forbidden to all Muslims.

shagster01

In other words, cower to intimidation and threats. If we as a society cower to intimidation and threats, do we really have freedom of expression?

Would these people have had this display if muslims didn't care? Don't pretend there is some other reason behind it.

What if you proclaiming your personal beliefs one day is a provocative action that spurs religious extremists to want to shoot you?

1. I feel no obligation to proclaim my personal beliefs to anyone. I do so here simply for fun.

2. My personal beliefs do not require me to make offensive cartoons about others beliefs.

What if Malala decided to keep silent about standing up for girls' education, as doing so was a provocative action to the Pakistani Taliban? Was she "asking for it" when she got shot in the head?

Is Malala doing so simply to provoke the Taliban or to actually get females educated?

You seem to be struggling with the SOLELY FOR PROVOKING part.

Last edited:

shagster01

As I already explained, there are plausible reasons for the art event other than offending the Muslim. Furthermore, not all Muslims take offense to depictions of the prophet Muhammad, nor are such depictions forbidden to all Muslims.

Again, if it wasn't offensive to muslims, would they still have done it?

You know the answer.

Tinark

Again, if it wasn't offensive to muslims, would they still have done it?

You know the answer.

If it was offensive to some Muslims, but no Muslims ever went out and shot the artists, I would submit to you that such an event would not have taken place.

Just like we don't see any "draw Jesus in a degrading manner" events. Such an event would be very offensive and provocative to many Christians, yet we can be almost certain no Christian would take up arms and try to shoot the place up.