Shots fired at Texas Mohammed art exhibit

shagster01

If it was offensive to some Muslims, but no Muslims ever went out and shot the artists, I would submit to you that such an event would not have taken place.

Just like we don't see any "draw Jesus in a degrading manner" events. Such an event would be very offensive and provocative to many Christians, yet we can be almost certain no Christian would take up arms and try to shoot the place up.

Well, there you have it. You are saying right here that they did it because of a similar response they've seen in the past and they were intentionally poking that beast again.

musterion

If it was offensive to some Muslims, but no Muslims ever went out and shot the artists, I would submit to you that such an event would not have taken place.

Just like we don't see any "draw Jesus in a degrading manner" events. Such an event would be very offensive and provocative to many Christians, yet we can be almost certain no Christian would take up arms and try to shoot the place up.

Remember the Piss Christ murders?

Me either.

musterion

Well, there you have it. You are saying right here that they did it because of a similar response they've seen in the past and they were intentionally poking that beast again.

This beast dares civilized people to poke it. Good to know freedom of expression - which directly impacts freedom of thought - don't mean all that much to you in the name of safety. "Just leave me alone to enjoy my weed, Mohammed, and I won't offend you."

Move to France.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
This beast dares civilized people to poke it. Good to know freedom of expression - which directly impacts freedom of thought - don't mean all that much to you in the name of safety. "Just leave me alone to enjoy my weed, Mohammed, and I won't offend you."

Move to France.

How in the world did you drag marijuana into this

Tinark

No, as I've already explained multiple times, the intent needn't be to provoke. More plausibility, it was to stand up for freedom of expression and to take a stand against those who threaten and murder, to stand in solidarity with those living under threats or who have been murdered. To not cower and give up our freedoms in the face of death by would be murderers who wish to take away such freedoms.

Less plausibly but still a distinct possibility, it is also to get such thin-skinned Muslims who go into a frothing rage at any such drawings to start getting thicker skins (as they become desensitized to it). When such depictions are more common, they'll be more likely to just brush it off as something not to get so worked up about. Furthermore, such events also serve to spread the risk around for those who are targets of Islamist extremists. The few people who speak up against Islamist extremism (Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Sam Harris, Maajid Nawaz, among several others) become targets, placing themselves at high risk for an attack. The more people who follow in their footsteps, the less risk each individual suffers overall, as with so many targets out there and limited abilities to carry out an attack (and limited numbers of individuals able and willing to carry out such attacks), each individual personally faces a much smaller risk.

musterion

By the way, Shag. When you say 'poke the bear' or whatever, are you not acknowledging that Muslims by and large are, like bears, inherently dangerous and cannot be reasoned with? Beasts, so to speak? Did your tolerant liberal self intend to do that?

musterion

If all believers of Mohammed must answer for a few, why not all believers of Jesus?

You're stoned again.

Nobody's asking all Muslims to "answer for" a few; that's as stupid as if I asked you to personally answer for atheism's 97 million dead worldwide.

No...we ask only that Muslims be the first and loudest ones opposing those they say do not represent them, if they really do disagree. And that is a totally fair request.

shagster01

You're stoned again.

Never any actual facts in your agruments.

:yawn:

Nobody's asking all Muslims to "answer for" a few;

Maybe YOU aren't, but more than "nobody" around these parts are.

that's as stupid as if I asked you to personally answer for atheism's 97 million dead worldwide.

Especially since I consider myself taoist... :think:

No...we ask only that Muslims be the first and loudest ones opposing those they say do not represent them, if they really do disagree. And that is a totally fair request.

Why?

musterion

By the way, Shag. When you say 'poke the bear' or whatever, are you not implying that Muslims by and large are, like bears, inherently dangerous and cannot be reasoned with? Beasts, so to speak? Did your tolerant liberal self intend to do that?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
To stand up for freedom of speech and expression, to not cower to intimidation and threats.
I'd say if you launched an exhibit of satire aimed at a purpose, like a general reformation or maybe just taking the scary out of the notion for those who might be walking on eggshells for one reason or another I can respect it. Otherwise it makes as much sense as waving a gun around to "stand up" for the right to walk around with a gun.

As soon as killing artists is a thing of the past, so too will these type of art events.
I don't think so. The cartoons that upset a lot of Islam preceded violent acts on the part of the extremists who committed their stupidly violent acts of cowardice in response.

Nazaroo

If all believers of Mohammed must answer for a few, why not all believers of Jesus?

All believers must answer for their beliefs as adults with a God-given brain,
in the face of their own experience of truth and love.

Judgment-Day-2.jpg

All believers must stand before one LORD and King of Kings,
regardless of their personal fantasies, and be judged according to
the things they did with the talents they were given.

I'm afraid not everyone's going to pass that semester.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

shagster01

By the way, Shag. When you say 'poke the bear' or whatever, are you not implying that Muslims by and large are, like bears, inherently dangerous and cannot be reasoned with? Beasts, so to speak? Did your tolerant liberal self intend to do that?

I consider all humans to be animals. I am not liberal in the "leftist" sense. There is a third way.

fool

Hall of Fame
They should have one of these exhibits in every major city every month.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
They better watch out. You know who lives in Garland?
angry%20hank9.jpg

Arlen, not Garland.

Oh, sorry. For all you non-Texans:

In early 1995, after the successful run of Beavis and Butt-head on MTV, Mike Judge co-created King of the Hill with former Simpsons writer Greg Daniels. Judge was a former resident of Garland, a suburb of Dallas, Texas considered the basis for the setting of the series, the fictional Arlen.
http://kingofthehill.wikia.com/wiki/King_of_the_Hill