Sermons should be about obedience !

marhig

Yes Brother, Our Jesus Christ came to Save His People Mat. 1:21, His Body chosen in Union with Him Eph. 1:4-7, from their sins.

Phil. 2:8
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death [Rom. 5:19], even the death of the cross.

~~~
I'll ask you the same question, seeing as you both seem to be of the same church. Do you believe, or does your church teach that you are to obey God and do his will and turn from sin, or do they teach that Jesus has done all the obeying for you and that you don't have to do anything and just live your life as you please and you're going to heaven regardless?

turbosixx

What do you agree with? You are not clear.

Sorry. You said we can't get more righteous than the righteousness of Christ. I agree. If it wasn't for use being clothed with him we wouldn't make it on our own.

What I'm curious about is, how does one become his sheep?

Nanja

What about the rest of those who don't belong to your church but love God with all their hearts and follow Jesus?

An unregenerate heart is desperately wicked Jer. 17:9.

But God gives Christ's Sheep a New Heart in New Birth:

Ezek. 36:24-28
For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

Rom. 5:19
For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

~~~

marhig

An unregenerate heart is desperately wicked Jer. 17:9.

But God gives Christ's Sheep a New Heart in New Birth:

Ezek. 36:24-28
For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

~~~

And how do you determine who are his sheep?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Sermons should be about obedience!

Sermons should be about what the Lord Jesus Christ does, not what you do.

[h=2][/h]

beloved57

Sorry. You said we can't get more righteous than the righteousness of Christ. I agree. If it wasn't for use being clothed with him we wouldn't make it on our own.

What I'm curious about is, how does one become his sheep?

I'm not here discussing how some one does something, but what Christ did by His obedience alone, He made many righteous.

marhig

We not here to determine anything, but to discuss what Christ did. He by His obedience alone made many righteous. Rom 5:19. Are you interested in that?

So what about this?

Matthew 12

While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Those who belong to Christ are those who do the will of God, so we are to obey God and do his will. Or don't you believe Jesus? They are his words not mine!

So it's not just those who are elect and chosen before they were born, those from your church only, who can live by their own will because Jesus has done all the obeying for them. But it's all those who do the will of God, they are those who are the true church of Christ!

And yes Jesus was obedient to God, but that doesn't mean we don't have to be, Jesus clearly teaches that those who belong to him do the will of God!

clefty

I'll ask you the same question, seeing as you both seem to be of the same church. Do you believe, or does your church teach that you are to obey God and do his will and turn from sin, or do they teach that Jesus has done all the obeying for you and that you don't have to do anything and just live your life as you please and you're going to heaven regardless?

Apparently He obeyed for us rather than died for us...

BoyStan

Samie, God's purpose in our salvation is that we be conformed to the likeness of Christ. This means obedience to the known will of God, just like Jesus goal was obedience to the Father's will. It does not matter what brand of Christian you belong to it is the same for all Christians. Obedience. If anyone holds your point #1 they clearly misunderstand the gospel.

BoyStan

The church has such a low esteem in the world today because disciples are not obedient to the teachings of the gospel. The church leaders do not teach or emphasise obedience. The church is trying to please the world to win the world. The apostles taught the opposite, and suffered for their obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Nanja

Rom. 8:33-34
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Rom. 5:10
For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

~~~

beloved57

So what about this?

Matthew 12

While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Those who belong to Christ are those who do the will of God, so we are to obey God and do his will. Or don't you believe Jesus? They are his words not mine!

So it's not just those who are elect and chosen before they were born, those from your church only, who can live by their own will because Jesus has done all the obeying for them. But it's all those who do the will of God, they are those who are the true church of Christ!

And yes Jesus was obedient to God, but that doesn't mean we don't have to be, Jesus clearly teaches that those who belong to him do the will of God!

Those who Christ lived and died for are made righteous. Rom 5:19!

clefty

Your fruit appears to be all about yourself, and what you do, and very little about Christ and what He did.

Of course...I am eager to tell others what I do because of what was done for me...I thought we were all clear here at a Christian forum as to what was done for us...

And since we are all clear on what was done...the topic remains about what I do...you know my fruits...my desire to keep His commandments JUST AS He did...to show my love and gratitude and witness through my example the joy and purpose I have under His yoke...

How about you?