Scripture. What is considered Scripture?

2003cobra

Nope. My position is that there is NO error. Discrepancy? Sure. There is a difference. The colt is the scriptural focus. The mother of the colt is NOT the focus in one telling. No error. Discrepancy resolved. If you are not accurate with words, could it be you equate 'discrepancy' with error??? Words are important.
I should add, I think if you study this further you may find that both animals are the focus in the gospel attributed to Matthew due to the fallible writer or writers misunderstanding of the prophecy.

Matthew 21 When they had come near Jerusalem and had reached Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, 2 saying to them, "Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to me. 3 If anyone says anything to you, just say this, "The Lord needs them.' And he will send them immediately. " 4 This took place to fulfill what had been spoken through the prophet, saying, 5 "Tell the daughter of Zion, Look, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

The misunderstanding did not exist in the mind of Mark, Luke, or John, so they did not invent a second animal to fit the prophecy.

jsanford108

Okay Cobra. You just seem to be unwilling to open your mind, but I am determinted to drag you down this discussion's path.

I will bold my questions, and provide your answers in quote format. Ready? Let's progress.
1.) Let's start with this. How do you know what Christ said, taught, and did?
What does the scripture say: “Only on the evidence of two or three witnesses shall a charge be sustained.”
We have four witnesses, the gospels. We have four separate sources which testify.
You really don't want to say that the Scriptures are your source of information on Jesus, do you? I speculate that is because you know that it is illogical to rely on errant source material.

Also, you took that verse completely out of context. You are also relying on specific details, rather than the overall message. How paradoxical of you.

2.) I don't know everything. I never claimed to. The difference between us is that I know with certainty where to place my faith and trust.

If you mean you are certain that you should put your trust in the man-made tradition of the doctrine of inerrancy, then your certainty is based on man’s claims. We are never called to have faith in man’s theories, especially theories that can be shown false just by comparing one gospel to another.
Oooh, so quick with the witty takedown. But this is akin to a strawman argument. You immediately allude to me placing trust in "man-made tradition," then attack that; despite me never having said that.

Yes, I do trust in the inerrant nature of Scripture. Because I trust in Jesus and the Apostles.

I am sure that you don't rely on any man-made doctrines, like faith alone.

3.) But these things matter, according to your post, 158. So, shouldn't we need to know?

See, how your first post contradicts this most recent one. You say, these things matter, but then say, "These minor details have no affect on the overall message of God for mankind." Which is it? Do they matter or not?

The minor details should matter to any honest person when considering the false doctrine of biblical inerrancy. They should not matter in recognizing Jesus for who He is.
How do you know who Jesus is?

I know you want an inerrant Bible. I know many pretend they have an inerrant Bible. God never promised us a perfect book.
Really? How about 2 Timothy 3? Can Scripture be "God-breathed," and erroneous? That would mean that God is imperfect. So, either God's breathed Word is in error, or you are.

4.) We will get to inerrant doctrine, once we follow down the path of believing what Christ said/taught/did. Trust me. That is my goal.
Provide answers worthy of trust. Did Jesus tell the disciples to bring one animal or two? Which gospel misquotes Jesus? If you don’t know, just admit that at least one misquotes Jesus and thereby take an stand worthy of beginning trust.
Ouch. I need some aloe for that burn. Except that you just skirted around the altering of the question. You ask me to "just admit." Why don't you "just admit" that you altered the question halfway through? I had been saying that the contextual point of the passage was what mattered more than the specific details, but now you are claiming that that was your argument all along? If I need, I can go back and list each post again in order to accurately prove this, inerrantly.

I agree. Your question was not about what they carried, just the specific number.

No, my question was about what Jesus told them. You are not being trustworthy
See? Your tactic in the last two responses has been to continuously claim that questions have been avoided, despite your revisions of your questions. And now, you resort to attacks on character.

Then, you changed it to which is better to believe. At least here, you say that you think Mark is correct in his numbering, and not Luke. Glad we can move on.

Move on when you have taken the untrustworthy step of pretending my questions were not about what Jesus said? If you believe the Bible is the inerrant, God-breathed Word of God, shouldn’t the words of Jesus be accurately recorded?
Again, you just attack character, insist that your query hasn't been answered or changed, then avoid any of my questions, "like a leper."

5.) Wait, let us go back and review what you said: "These minor details have no affect on the overall message of God for mankind." So, why continue to ask about it?
Because the errors have a destroying effect on the false doctrine of inerrancy, a doctrine not found in the Bible.
So, numerological errors render the entire Bible errant? That is the posit you are making, correct?

Then how do you know what Jesus said/taught/did with any certainty or accuracy, if the only two sources of such information are the Bible and the Traditions of the Church, both of which you claim are man-made, thus unreliable?

I applaud you for sticking to your assumptions, despite it being against the grain of accepted Christian teachings. However, you have not provided sufficient evidence of your position. You claim the Bible is not inerrant. Logically, that renders it errant. Your only submitted evidence is three instances of specific details not agreeing completely. Literally, one of those is about whether or not the Apostles were told to carry a staff. A small specific detail not in complete agreement with a parallel text does not negate inerrant doctrine, logically. I can use modern examples if you wish to prove my point (But then again, you will just insist that it was your point later on). Also, if you posit that you do not trust "man-made" doctrines, such as inerrancy, you need to provide how you know what Jesus said/taught/did, from a reliable, inerrant source. Otherwise, you are basing your knowledge of Jesus on erroneous material, making your knowledge unreliable.

Reactions: Lon

Lon

I should add, I think if you study this further you may find that both animals are the focus in the gospel attributed to Matthew due to the fallible writer or writers misunderstanding of the prophecy.

Matthew 21 When they had come near Jerusalem and had reached Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, 2 saying to them, "Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to me. 3 If anyone says anything to you, just say this, "The Lord needs them.' And he will send them immediately. " 4 This took place to fulfill what had been spoken through the prophet, saying, 5 "Tell the daughter of Zion, Look, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

The misunderstanding did not exist in the mind of Mark, Luke, or John, so they did not invent a second animal to fit the prophecy.
Now pay attention (please):

So you cannot admit that one or more of the gospels misquotes Jesus in recording this event?
Correct, I TOTALLY disagree it is a misquote.

Both quotes can’t be accurate. One is a misquote, an error.
Only if you are a simpleton. My kids come to me, one tells me all about my cat. One only mentions one cat, because that is all she is interested in. The other mentions two cats, because the other was watching and it was funny.

Now here is the difference....

Me: Laugh and realize BOTH stories are 100% true.

The errancy father: Spank one kids for lying and send him/her to their room.

Imho, one of us is a simpleton.

I understand that you cannot admit the error without your man-made doctrine collapsing.
Well, that was Dr. Wallace's theory, but he was/is a simpleton. I lost some respect for DTS when they didn't fire him.

Inerrancy IS the fundamental evangelical position. Sorry, Wallace is neither and he is going against signing off on the CSoF, Dallas' theological stance on this issue. All this said, don't you be a simpleton too! Don't DARE spank those kids! That would be presumptuous on your part and a grievous 'error' and sin. IOW, the 'error' lies in Dr. Daniel Wallace and you, NOT in scripture. Sorry. That's the way it is.

What I don’t know is why your commitment to the man-made doctrine is greater than your commitment to truth among brothers.
Dr. Daniel Wallace doesn't know either and has said as much. This is essentially it: the 'error' lies IN him, not in scripture. HE is erroneous, not scripture. He cried a lot about persecution without realizing the error isn't in scripture. IT IS IN HIM!

Btw, I'm very saddened to see, it seems, Dallas TS has begun a compromise of their Fundamental Evangelical stance and have been moving toward emergent theology :( If true, will not be going that direction with them. Joshua 24:15

That said, further reading of Dr. Wallace, he is not against inerrancy as far as my reading of him is going. From what I can tell, he believe in the verbal plenary inspiration of scriptures so you'll have to find someone else to support your stance. He has been in debates with KJV onlyism regarding inspiration and it is reported many of his quotes were lifted from those conversations. My apologies to Dr. Wallace even from believing he is a friend to the errant scripture crowd. I believe his work very much stands against that but I'll have to keep reading a bit more.

Last edited:

2003cobra

Jsanford, I don’t have much time just now. You wrote:
I speculate that is because you know that it is illogical to rely on errant source material.

On the contrary, it is illogical to think we have perfect source material.
It has already been shown that the gospels misquote Jesus (have you decided whether Jesus told the Apostles to bring one animal or two yet?)

You wrote that you “trust the inerrant nature of scripture.” Since there are errors, your trust is in a myth from an man-made tradition not found in scripture.

You asked me how I know who Jesus is. I already told you: multiple witnesses. Isn’t that how we know anything about history?

You ask me if “numerology errors render the entire Bible errant.” No, misquoting Jesus renders the doctrine of inerrancy a lie. If the words of Jesus are wrong, that is an error. It cannot be entirely error free if there are errors.

Did Jesus tell the disciples to bring one animal or to bring two animals? Which gospel misquotes Jesus?

Last edited:

2003cobra

Lon, you wrote:
I TOTALLY disagree it is a misquote.

Jesus either told the two disciples to bring one animal or He told them to bring two animals.

So you are simply denying the text to support your man-made tradition. Why?

glorydaz

Lon, you wrote:

Jesus either told the two disciples to bring one animal or He told them to bring two animals.

Yo, minister of satan.....

Trusting the Holy Bible is not "man made tradition".

glorydaz

We agree. The gospel accounts can differ and can have minor errors because fallible people wrote them.

The lack of redaction and the lack of “getting the story straight” only adds to the credibility of the gospels.

If someone claimed those three eyewitnesses presenting different time of the events on the witness stand were all speaking the inerrant, God-breathed Word of God and their stories contradict each other, that someone claiming God is speaking will have no credibility.

Oh, so you claim God never tells one person something and another person something else? Clearly the focus of each Gospel writer was different than the others. John, for instance, stresses the Deity of Jesus Christ. Luke stresses His humanity. Matthew and Mark address other aspects. They were not all given the same message.

You're simply unwilling to admit that one man can stress one aspect above what the others are given to record. That's known as "willful ignorance". :nono:

glorydaz

I have not proposed anyone distrust the Bible.

I have simply pointed out that the doctrine of inerrancy is false. That doctrine is not found in the Bible.

Yes, it is. You just doubt God is able to keep that which He inspired to last long enough to complete it's work until the Day of the Lord. That's simply unbelief...no matter what you try to cloak it in.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:​

Lon

Lon, you wrote:

Why? (some assumptions here, it is more for the illustration of our differences, not to indict you)

Me: "Innocent until PROVEN guilty."
You: "Guilty!"

Me: "There is a REASON one scriptures records this differently."
You: "No reason, just a mistake."

Me: A careful Berean.

You: A hasty bible studier, not more noble, like the Bereans.

Me: Resolved this issue and stand with all of Evangelicals: God's word is inerrant and given by verbal plenary.
You: NOT fundamental evangelical --> Liberal "higher" (supposedly) criticism. I disdain it.

You? No, I don't disdain you, I disdain the thinking that men are smarter than God and simply believing in the CURSORY reading that God is wrong. :nono: I've sat under it FAR too long to ever go back. I hated the adulterous commentary. I always thought it was the man-made sentiment. As I read my bible, even as a child of 11, I KNEW that what they were saying was wrong. Why? Because I WAS reading my bible. The pastor started with a scripture and then was off flying around somewhere else while I read and reread the scriptures to hear what they said. I asked one of my pastors that I liked in that liberal church: "Why don't you do expository preaching?" His answer was 'preference' as well as some idea that 'expository' was just teaching, not preaching. My suspicion was always because the United Methodists no longer read their bibles all the way through and don't hold it in the same esteem I do. John 6:68 "Where else is it possible I should go?"

Question for you: Matthew 4:4 Can you live without the word of God? Is it possible?

My answer
: "No, it is impossible for me to even live, without God's word. Colossians 1:17 John 15:5 Deuteronomy 8:23

I know we are thundering here. God talked to Job in the storm and the quiet and between friends and without. My prayer: God would talk over us and clearly. In Him -Lon

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
Yes I did. I'm not sorry. I 'asked' a question. The EASY problem solving is simply to say 'yes' or 'no' not generally demand an apology. Interestingly, Cobra demanded the same thing :think: Do you 'see' why I might 'ask' if the account is the same? :think:
Yes, I noticed there were several different events after awhile.

Reactions: Lon

Lon

If someone claimed those three eyewitnesses presenting different time of the events on the witness stand were all speaking the inerrant, God-breathed Word of God and their stories contradict each other, that someone claiming God is speaking will have no credibility.
Bingo! That's why Bart Eerdman says he left the faith. If scripture is unreliable in little, it is unreliable in all. God says so: Luke 16:10-12

Eerdman understood that and so, left the faith (if he was ever a part 1 John 2:19). If the bible is unreliable in even an iota Matthew 5:18, then it is totally unreliable. For me: The answer was/is always "I'm misunderstanding something." It has never been "Scripture must be wrong."

2003cobra

Bingo! That's why Bart Eerdman says he left the faith. If scripture is unreliable in little, it is unreliable in all. God says so: Luke 16:10-12

Eerdman understood that and so, left the faith (if he was ever a part 1 John 2:19). If the bible is unreliable in even an iota Matthew 5:18, then it is totally unreliable. For me: The answer was/is always "I'm misunderstanding something." It has never been "Scripture must be wrong."
That is because some misguided soul taught Ehrman the false doctrine of inerrancy.

He might still be a Christian if someone had not presented the teachings of man as a position of God.

Because this false doctrine was a core doctrine of his, his faith crumbled when the foundation was found to be a lie.

2003cobra

Why? (some assumptions here, it is more for the illustration of our differences, not to indict you)

Me: "Innocent until PROVEN guilty."
You: "Guilty!"

Me: "There is a REASON one scriptures records this differently."
You: "No reason, just a mistake."

Me: A careful Berean.

You: A hasty bible studier, not more noble, like the Bereans.

Me: Resolved this issue and stand with all of Evangelicals: God's word is inerrant and given by verbal plenary.
You: NOT fundamental evangelical --> Liberal "higher" (supposedly) criticism. I disdain it.

You? No, I don't disdain you, I disdain the thinking that men are smarter than God and simply believing in the CURSORY reading that God is wrong. :nono: I've sat under it FAR too long to ever go back. I hated the adulterous commentary. I always thought it was the man-made sentiment. As I read my bible, even as a child of 11, I KNEW that what they were saying was wrong. Why? Because I WAS reading my bible. The pastor started with a scripture and then was off flying around somewhere else while I read and reread the scriptures to hear what they said. I asked one of my pastors that I liked in that liberal church: "Why don't you do expository preaching?" His answer was 'preference' as well as some idea that 'expository' was just teaching, not preaching. My suspicion was always because the United Methodists no longer read their bibles all the way through and don't hold it in the same esteem I do. John 6:68 "Where else is it possible I should go?"

Question for you: Matthew 4:4 Can you live without the word of God? Is it possible?

My answer
: "No, it is impossible for me to even live, without God's word. Colossians 1:17 John 15:5 Deuteronomy 8:23

I know we are thundering here. God talked to Job in the storm and the quiet and between friends and without. My prayer: God would talk over us and clearly. In Him -Lon

I see you continue to avoid the question of whether Jesus told the two disciples to bring one animal or two.

You wrote:
I disdain the thinking that men are smarter than God

You seem to think your position is God’s position. I wonder if you realize how inappropriate and wrong that is.

You have declared the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God. The Bible never claims that.

Did Jesus tell the two disciples to bring one animal or two? If you don’t know, admit it.

You wrote:

I think you have a misunderstanding of the term “Word of God.” The Word of God is the Message of God, and it is the message that gives eternal life. The term “Word of God” is not interchangeable with “Bible.” There is no scriptural justification for that error.

Actually, the term Word of God means:
1) The Message of God for mankind
2) A message from God or
3) The Message of God incarnate, Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World.
Pretending it means Bible is the source of many errors.

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
Actually, the term Word of God means:
1) The Message of God for mankind
2) A message from God or
3) The Message of God incarnate, Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World.
Pretending it means Bible is the source of many errors.
No it isn't since you already have the many errors which you are afraid of.

glorydaz

Actually, you're wrong about the word of God, 2003cobra.

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:​

Eph. 6:11-12 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.​

The premier example of this is how our Lord responded to satan in the wilderness. He fought him off with Scripture (which is the word of God - aka the sword of the Spirit).

Matt. 4:4-10 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. 5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, 6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. 8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.​

You are left with no choice but to ignore these facts or admit your error.

I won't hold my breath. You love to yap, but you refuse to listen.

2003cobra

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:​

Eph. 6:11-12 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.​

The premier example of this is how our Lord responded to satan in the wilderness. He fought him off with Scripture (which is the word of God - aka the sword of the Spirit).

Matt. 4:4-10 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. 5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, 6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. 8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.​

In the passage in Ephesians 6:17, do you think the term Word of God is referring to the noun “sword” or “Spirit?”

Nothing in your post says Bible = Word of God. Is that the meaning you were hoping to convey?

This may help you in answering:
https://www.billmounce.com/monday-with-mounce/the-sword-the-spirit-eph-6-17

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Yes. And the Word wins in the end.

2 Thessalonians 2:8 KJV -8 [FONT=&quot]And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:[/FONT]

Revelation 1:16 KJV - And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shines in its strength.

Revelation 19:15 KJV - 15 [FONT=&quot]And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.[/FONT]

Revelation 19:21
21 [FONT=&quot]And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.[/FONT]

glorydaz

In the passage in Ephesians 6:17, do you think the term Word of God referring to the noun “sword” or “Spirit?”

Nothing in your post says Bible = Word of God. Is that the meaning you were hoping to convey?

You can't parse this one away. It's evident....exactly as it's written.

The sword of the Spirit is the word of God. The subject is the ARMOUR OF GOD. If you diagram the sentence, you'll see sword (of Spirit)/ is/ word (of God).

I gave you the example Jesus gave Himself, "It is written". He quoted Scripture (using it as a sword). The Holy Bible is SCRIPTURE. The fact that you reject that obvious proof is concrete evidence of your bias on this issue.