ECT Romans 4:3 What saith the scripture?

Cross Reference

No wonder you are suspicious of me.

You seem to have a problem with everyone.

The Lords of Psalm 110 are a KJV invention.

You ought to know that.

Adonai and Adoni (Psalm 110:1)
The Bible’s supreme proof text for telling the difference between the One God and the Messiah who is not God
This verse was referred to the Messiah by the Pharisees and by Jesus. It tells us that the relationship between God and Jesus is that of Deity and non-Deity. The Messiah is called adoni (my lord) and in every one of its 195 occurrences adoni (my lord) means a superior who is not God. Adonai on the other hand refers exclusively to the One God in all of its 449 occurrences. Adonai is the title of Deity and adoni never designates Deity.
If the Messiah were called Adonai this would introduce “two Gods” into the Bible and would be polytheism. Psalm 110:1 should guard us all against supposing that there are two who are God. In fact the Messiah is the supreme human being and agent of the One God. Psalm 110:1 is the Bible’s master text for defining the Son of God in relation to the One God, his Father.
Why is it that a number of commentaries misstate the facts about Psalm 110:1? They assert that the word for the Messiah in Psalm 110:1 is adonai. It is not. These commentaries seem to obscure a classic text defining God in relation to His Son. The Hebrew text assigns to the Messiah the title adoni which invariably distinguishes the one addressed from the Deity. The Messiah is the supreme human lord. He is not the Lord God (cp. I Tim. 2:5; I Cor. 8:4-6; Mark 12:28ff).
Why is the Messiah called adoni (my lord) and never adonai (my Lord God)?
“Adonai and Adoni are variations of Masoretic pointing to distinguish divine reference from human.”
Adonai is referred to God but Adoni to human superiors.
Adoni — ref. to men: my lord, my master [see Ps. 110:1]
Adonai — ref. to God…Lord (Brown, Driver, Briggs, Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament, under adon [= lord]).
“The form ADONI (‘my lord’), a royal title (I Sam. 29:8), is to be carefully distinguished from the divine title ADONAI (‘my Lord’) used of Yahweh.” “ADONAI — the special plural form [the divine title] distinguishes it from adonai [with short vowel] = my lords” (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, “Lord,” p. 157).
“Lord in the OT is used to translate ADONAI when applied to the Divine Being. The [Hebrew] word…has a suffix [with special pointing] presumably for the sake of distinction…between divine and human appellative” (Hastings Dictionary of the Bible, “Lord,” Vol. 3, p. 137).
“Hebrew Adonai exclusively denotes the God of Israel. It is attested about 450 times in the OT…Adoni [is] addressed to human beings (Gen. 44:7, Num. 32:25, II Kings 2:19 [etc.]). We have to assume that the word adonai received its special form to distinguish it from the secular use of adon [i.e., adoni]. The reason why [God is addressed] as adonai, [with long vowel] instead of the normal adon, adoni or adonai [with short vowel] may have been to distinguish Yahweh from other gods and from human lords” (Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible, p. 531).
“The lengthening of the ā on Adonai [the Lord God] may be traced to the concern of the Masoretes to mark the word as sacred by a small external sign” (Theological Dictionary of the OT, “Adon,” p. 63 and Theological Dictionary of the NT, III, 1060ff. n.109).
“The form ‘to my lord,’ l’adoni, is never used in the OT as a divine reference…the generally accepted fact that the masoretic pointing distinguishes divine references (adonai) from human references (adoni)” (Wigram, The Englishman’s Hebrew and Chaldee Concordance of the OT, p. 22) (Herbert Bateman, “Psalm 110:1 and the NT,” Bibliothecra Sacra, Oct.-Dec., 1992, p. 438).

Check it out with other translators who drew their conclusions after from reading those you refer to as well, to see it isn't unique to the KJV.

oatmeal

i am pretty sure the pharisees were going to stone Jesus for claiming to be GOD

They thought he was claiming to be God.

However, he told them what he said in John 10:33-36

The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for cblasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, I said, “You are gods” ’?

35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

He clearly did not claim to be God, but for whatever reason they misunderstood him or did not hear him or jumped to the wrong conclusion or whatever the reason was

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
i am pretty sure the pharisees were going to stone Jesus for claiming to be GOD

The Pharisees did not think Jesus was claiming to be the God

If they thought He was claiming to be the God of Heaven then He would have had to be using the name of the Father as His own, but He didn't.

Mat 21:33 Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country:
Mat 21:34 And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it.
Mat 21:35 And the husbandmen took his servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another.
Mat 21:36 Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto them likewise.
Mat 21:37 But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son.
Mat 21:38 But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance. Mat 21:39 And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him.
Mat 21:40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Check it out with other translators who drew their conclusions after from reading those you refer to as well, to see it isn't unique to the KJV.

Sure but NASB has received notification of their error and have accepted the correction.

In any case your idea about lord having to be capitalized is falsehood.

and it is common knowledge that the KJV avoids the proper use of Gods name by using LORD instead.

LA

Cross Reference

Sure but NASB has received notification of their error and have accepted the correction.

From who? The Holy Spirit? I don't think so.
Why didn't the others follow NASB's lead? Even the lastest from Holman disagrees with you and they are supposed to be the most accurate.

In any case your idea about lord having to be capitalized is falsehood.
Not in "any case" as you suppose. It's not my "idea" but your emptiness of Him and others of like ilk who say it is.

I have known for a long time there is something spiritually wrong with you and you are hitting on it.

and it is common knowledge that the KJV avoids the proper use of Gods name by using LORD instead.

LA

Common knowledge?? Among you and yours but not with those who have God given insight?

Here:
"This is⌋ the declaration of the LORD to my Lord[/B]: “Sit at My right hand until I make Your enemies Your footstool.”" Psalm 110:1 (HCSB)

"The affirmation of Jehovah to my Lord: `Sit at My right hand, Till I make thine enemies thy footstool.'" Psalm 110:1 (YLT)

and here:

"THE LORD (God) says to my Lord (the Messiah), Sit at My right hand, until I make Your adversaries Your footstool."Psalm 110:1 (AMP)

and even here:

"The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.” Psalm 110:1 (ESV)

What more do you need to convince you of your error, even when leaving insight out of it? Was not and is not Jesus Christ the Priestly King? Is His Name not, prophetically speaking,

"For a child will be born for us, a son will be given to us, and the government will be on His shoulders. He will be named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
The dominion will be vast, and its prosperity will never end. He will reign on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish and sustain it with justice and righteousness from now on and forever. The zeal of the LORD of Hosts will accomplish this." Isaiah 9:6-7 (HCSB)

You need to think this through a little more.

oatmeal

Another wonderful truth I learned is was about "the thief" in John 10:10.

Just how sneaky our adversary can be at times.

Genesis 3:1

He will be bold with his lies at times, but other times sneak in and out like a highly skilled thief. No one knows he was there until later when some was discovered stolen or someone is dead or someone is destroyed

II Corinthians 2:11 No one person knows it all, "we" however are not ignorant of Satan's devices.

Romans 8:37 I am not a more than conqueror, WE are more than conquerors

It is the body of Christ working together that are more than conquerors

Cross Reference

They thought he was claiming to be God.

However, he told them what he said in John 10:33-36

The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for cblasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, I said, “You are gods” ’?

35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

He clearly did not claim to be God, but for whatever reason they misunderstood him or did not hear him or jumped to the wrong conclusion or whatever the reason was

Where did Jesus deny it in that passage that you are so sure of yourself? To the contrary He accused their unbelieving condescending remarks as being, Blasphemous!

oatmeal

Where did Jesus deny it in that passage that you are so sure of yourself? To the contrary He accused their unbelieving condescending remarks as being, Blasphemous!

Why didn't you read the passage I provided, especially the word that I put in bold type?

Are you really that emotionally driven?

You need to learn to be truth driven, scripture driven, that is the wise thing to do in your case.

Cross Reference

oatmeal;4267[QUOTE said:
886]Why didn't you read the passage I provided, especially the word that I put in bold type?

Are you really that emotionally driven?

To a point, I am. People like you upset me.

You need to learn to be truth driven, scripture driven, that is the wise thing to do in your case.

"You can't handle the Truth"! That is why there is none in you.