Proof that Paul didn't preach a different gospel than Peter

Jerry Shugart

I have spent hundreds of hours studying Matt 24:34. There is a book written on just this one verse.

I have yet to see anyone show Matt 24:34 is a future event without twisting the verse into a pretzel.

You know better than that!

One of the meanings of the Greek word translated "generation" is "family" and it will now be demonstrated that "family" is the correct translation at Matthew 24:34.

By the Lord Jesus' own admission the "times" and "seasons" have been put in the Father's power (Acts 1:7; Mt.24:36). It is not as if He had been given a vision in regard to the time when all these things would be fulfilled. Instead, He was the Prophet described here:

"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him" (Deut.18:18).​

The Lord Jesus had no special knowledge in regard to when the things would happen so He certainly would not be pointing out any specific generation of men who would see the signs of which He spoke.

Therefore, the correct translation of the following passage is as follows:

"So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This family shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled" (Mt.24:33-34).​

Of course the "family" refers to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob..

The Lord Jesus' sermon foretold of the "great tribulation," a time when Israel will be attacked unmercifully in an attempt to destroy the whole family of the Israelites. Therefore it would not be unusual for the Lord Jesus to assure them that they will not be wiped out and that they will continue to exist. Therefore, He told them that the family would still be in existence when He returned to the earth.

In fact, this is not the first time that such assurance had been given to the family of the Israelites, as witnessed by these words:

"Thus says the LORD, Who gives the sun for light by day And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar; The LORD of hosts is His name: If this fixed order departs From before Me, declares the LORD, Then the offspring of Israel also will cease from being a nation before Me forever" (Jer.31:35-36).​

According to the Lord as long as the sun and moon remain in the sky the nation of Israel will remain "being a nation" before Him. So there is nothing odd about the Lord Jesus telling the Israelites that "this family shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled," especially with the great tribulation in view.

Your ideas are based on the assumption that the Lord Jesus would know the time when the great tribulation would happen despite the fact that there is absolutely nothing in the Bible which supports that false idea.

Last edited:

Ben Masada

After preaching to Jews first, Paul preached the gospel to pagan Gentiles.

Peter and the rest of the Apostles for the most part stayed in Jerusalem and preached to Jews and Gentiles who mostly grew up in Judaea under the Mosaic Law.

(Rev 2:2 KJV) I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

I'm familiar with the argument by Jews and Paul haters who claim the above verse refers to Paul and Barnabas.

So, I know where your going with your claim that Paul preached a different gospel.

You didn't even read the text in II Cor. 11:4-6, 13 did you? Of course not! Deep down the truth hurts my friend.

Danoh

No, it's just that he keeps copying and pasting the same posts in every thread no matter what the thread topic is.

Like you, Johnny W has not even attempted to address the topic of this thread.

So, lay you 2 Peter 3, so that I can address it. All you are doing is posting sound bytes out of their passage's overall scope and context.

You want to continue in that, well, we will only go around in circles about whether the ear I am holding, or the foot the elephant has on your skull, is the elephant :)

As for JW, I've been trolling through some old Mid-Acts posts and find the guy has a very high level of understanding of the issues - more than many.

Pain that he has been, notwithstanding...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
One of the meanings of the Greek word translated "generation" is "family" and it will now be demonstrated that "family" is the correct translation at Matthew 24:34.

The ole "generation doesn't really mean generation" argument.

Don't you Dispies ever get tired trying to make Matt 24:34 say something it doesn't say?

By the Lord Jesus' own admission the "times" and "seasons" have been put in the Father's power (Acts 1:7; Mt.24:36). It is not as if He had been given a vision in regard to the time when all these things would be fulfilled. Instead, He was the Prophet described here:

Jesus was smarter than you are making Him out to be.

Jesus knew the temple was going to be destroyed before the generation of His contemporaries all passed away.

The Lord Jesus had no special knowledge in regard to when the things would happen so He certainly would not be pointing out any specific generation of men who would see the signs of which He spoke.

Again, you're wrong.

(Rev 21:10) And he said to me, “Do not seal the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is at hand.

If Jesus didn't know (your claim), then why did He tell John the time was at hand?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You didn't even read the text in II Cor. 11:4-6, 13 did you?

I read it.

Paul and Peter preached the one true gospel.

In 2 Cor 11 Paul is warning the Corinthians about false apostles preaching a false gospel.

This has nothing to do with the one true gospel Paul, Peter, and the rest of the Apostles preached.

john w

Hall of Fame
That's correct, which puts all your Judas accusations to rest.

As I've told you Darby followers over and over again, the New Covenant wasn't revealed to, or preached until after the cross (actually, not until after Pentecost)

I deny the New Covenant is in place today. Am I lost?

Tet: I have no spine, so I cannot answer that.

Danoh

The ole "generation doesn't really mean generation" argument.

Don't you Dispies ever get tired trying to make Matt 24:34 say something it doesn't say?

Jesus was smarter than you are making Him out to be.

Jesus knew the temple was going to be destroyed before the generation of His contemporaries all passed away.

Again, you're wrong.

(Rev 21:10) And he said to me, “Do not seal the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is at hand.

If Jesus didn't know (your claim), then why did He tell John the time was at hand?

Because the time had been "at hand" just as "the kingdom" had been "at hand."

By the way, what is your understanding of why Christ is seen standing at the end of Acts 7?

john w

Hall of Fame
There were men who knew mysteries many years before Paul. There isn't just one mystery.

(Matt 13:11 KJV) He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Made up:

"as it is now revealed"-puts your "everyone knew the mystery" "theory to rest.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Because the time had been "at hand" just as "the kingdom" had been "at hand."

(Rev 1:1) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

According to Dispensationalism, "things which must shortly come to pass" has taken over 1,900 years, and still counting.