Presidential Policies (Sequel to: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
We're still in Korea from the Korean war in 1953.
That's expensive, we have 30,000 people over there standing around doing nothing.

Considering the kind of war that would break out there, if we left, I get why Mattis was so adamant about staying there. The irony is that China is really nervous about Kim Jong Il, and now would prefer us to be in South Korea.

If the US military withdraws from Korea, China will be a big loser
Michael Heng says while Beijing has good reason to be wary of American hegemony in the region, it must realise that a US military withdrawal would encourage unwanted developments – nuclear-armed neighbours in a unified Korea and Japan

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insigh.../if-us-military-withdraws-korea-china-will-be

This is likely why the Chinese publicly confirmed that they would come to the aid of North Korea if it was attacked, but would not get involved, if North Korea initiated a conflict.

WizardofOz

When I rightfully criticize Trump I get “but, but what about Obama”. It’s disingenuous when Democrats did it to defend ‘their guy’ and it’s disingenuous now that republicans are doing it to defend Trump.

And there it is.

BTW - Roberts was the deciding vote on Obama Care, who nominated him?

I'm sure Trump's wall plan will end up in the SCOTUS as well. See you there!

WizardofOz

I'll give Trump a thumb on this one:
Trump's artificial intelligence executive order will ensure America doesn't lose the AI race to China

Last week, the president signed an executive order, the American AI Initiative, that will accelerate America’s pursuit of the sophisticated AI capabilities necessary to maintain our military and economic dominance.

The U.S., on the other hand, has largely relied on private corporations to advance research into AI. But this model has come into question recently as numerous Big Tech companies, such as Google, have refused to work on AI technologies that could have beneficial military applications.

Unfortunately for America, China’s enormous investment in AI is paying dividends, allowing Beijing to modernize its military capabilities at a dangerously rapid pace. Luckily, there’s still time to correct the imbalance, and President Trump is the type of leader who isn’t afraid to challenge China’s aggressive geopolitical aspirations.

The president’s new executive order serves as a direct response to China’s initiative by instructing the federal government to prioritize research and development of America’s own artificial intelligence capabilities.

According to the White House, the new initiative will give AI researchers more resources for innovation, encourage evolving applications of AI, and protect “critical AI technology” from foreign entities.

In addition, the executive order will direct federal agencies to help U.S. workers develop AI-related skills and promote educational programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).

While I don't love executive orders and the utilization of tax payer money for R&D I think this one is worthwhile and the money is already sitting out there as it is. AI is the future and we can't be behind our competitors especially given the military advancements that will come from this technology.

Arthur Brain

Ignore the leftist war hawks. Bring 'em home. Let the orientals hash it out among themselves.

Your idea of a "leftist" is...well, it's just your idea really. Coulda said imagination but you've never really shown much of that outside of the fevered sort.

Arthur Brain

Trump's artificial intelligence executive order will ensure America doesn't lose the AI race to China

Last week, the president signed an executive order, the American AI Initiative, that will accelerate America’s pursuit of the sophisticated AI capabilities necessary to maintain our military and economic dominance.

The U.S., on the other hand, has largely relied on private corporations to advance research into AI. But this model has come into question recently as numerous Big Tech companies, such as Google, have refused to work on AI technologies that could have beneficial military applications.

Unfortunately for America, China’s enormous investment in AI is paying dividends, allowing Beijing to modernize its military capabilities at a dangerously rapid pace. Luckily, there’s still time to correct the imbalance, and President Trump is the type of leader who isn’t afraid to challenge China’s aggressive geopolitical aspirations.

The president’s new executive order serves as a direct response to China’s initiative by instructing the federal government to prioritize research and development of America’s own artificial intelligence capabilities.

According to the White House, the new initiative will give AI researchers more resources for innovation, encourage evolving applications of AI, and protect “critical AI technology” from foreign entities.

In addition, the executive order will direct federal agencies to help U.S. workers develop AI-related skills and promote educational programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).

While I don't love executive orders and the utilization of tax payer money for R&D I think this one is worthwhile and the money is already sitting out there as it is. AI is the future and we can't be behind our competitors especially given the military advancements that will come from this technology.

No! Skynet man!

:shocked:

drbrumley

We are embarking on things we have no business embarking on.