People who commit suicide go to Hell

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Hard to see Christ on the cross condemning someone that lost and in despair. I agree with the sickness conclusion and I'm glad you're still among us to offer this testimony, among other things. :cheers:

I guess every suicide is as varied in cause as every other human action....only God can judge

Timotheos

Only those who receive not the love of the truth that they can be saved go to hell (2 Thessalonians 2:10 KJV).

That isn't what 2 Thessalonians 2:10 says...

And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

It says they perish.

heir

TOL Subscriber
That isn't what 2 Thessalonians 2:10 says...

And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

It says they perish.
I believe those that perish will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord as in 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 KJV.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Uh, right, so as long as the person who ends their life is part of the elect they're okay, it's just the others who are destined to eternal suffering.
It is God's will that all men be saved (1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV) by believing what Christ did for us (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV). It's up to each individual to hear the gospel and after hearing it trust the Lord believing it (Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV) or not (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV). Those who do not, will perish (2 Thessalonians 2:10 KJV).

Suicide is a non issue like any other sin as the debt was already forgiven (2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, Colossians 2:13 KJV). The issue today is unbelief as the righteousness of God (which is the standard for heaven) is only upon all them that believe (Romans 3:21-22 KJV).

Arthur Brain

Liar. I have proof. You are still here on TOL and you provide unending suffering for the Body of Christ as you constantly promote evil and wickedness.

Whereas you promote compassion, empathy, beauty and understanding right? :plain:

You are one of the most immature, puerile and downright childishly obnoxious posters I've ever encountered on here, and you've not even remotely grown up within near enough ten years of reading your ongoing garbage.

Go play with a Lego set or something.

Danoh

"1 Co 3:17. If any … defile … destroy—rather as the Greek verb is the same in both cases, “destroy … destroy.” God repays in kind by a righteous retaliation. The destroyer shall himself be destroyed. As temporal death was the penalty of marring the material temple (Le 16:2; Da 5:2, 3, 30), so eternal death is the penalty of marring the spiritual temple—the Church. The destroyers here (1 Co 3:16, 17), are distinct from the unwise or unskilful builders (1 Co 3:12, 15); the latter held fast the “foundation” (1 Co 3:11), and, therefore, though they lose their work of superstructure and the special reward, yet they are themselves saved; the destroyers, on the contrary, assailed with false teaching the foundation, and so subvert the temple itself, and shall therefore be destroyed. (See on 1 Co 3:10), [ESTIUS and NEANDER]. I think Paul passes here from the teachers to all the members of the Church, who, by profession, are “priests unto God” (Ex 19:6; 1 Pe 2:9; Rev 1:6). As the Aaronic priests were doomed to die if they violated the old temple (Ex 28:43), so any Christian who violates the sanctity of the spiritual temple, shall perish eternally (Heb 12:14)." Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Vol. 2, p. 269). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Speaking of suicide, an overreliance on books "about" this, that, the other - in contrast to time in Scripture itself - ends up as a kind of a slow, suicide of one's ability to understand what Scripture is talking about.

Chiefly because, not knowing any better; one believes what they read in the books they are over relying on. Because what said books assert makes sense to them; often out of their ignorance of the holes in the argument they are reading in such books.

Do yourself a favor; put down the Greek, with their writer's own denominational slant, and just read 1 Corinthians chapters 1 thru 3, a good half dozen times or more. All the while asking 'what is he talking about when he says this in chapter 3?'

Case in point, suppose that two people are going on about the need to keep something between themselves and a few friends, and at one point, one of them says "Guess what; the cat's out of the bag."

Only a knucklehead would conclude an actual cat and an actual bag are what is being talked about. And such a person would conclude that because they right off reached for the Greek, or what have you, in contrast to the plain old common sense of 'what were they talking about, when that was said?'

Its the same with the suicide issue (which 1 Corinthians 3 is not even talking about).

The idea of looking for a verse is not the way to go. Rather, the thing to do is to stop and think of principles, or rules of thumb that would fall under.

To seek that in the Scripture.

Case in point, cigarettes. No where in Scripture does one find a passage for or against cigarettes. Obviously, that is a much more recent phenomenon.

While its core issue - addiction - is not.

Addiction is a lust (desire) of the flesh.

Now we have something we can work with. Because we have first worked all that out to this principle.

Romans 6:12 is then as applicable today as way back when - "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."

In other words, refuse to give in to the fleshly mind's outlook.

How? Simply the decision to "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."

Why? Verse 7 "For he that is dead is freed from sin."

In other words, 'this addiction; this is not who I am in Christ: I am dead to sin, in His death to sin, with Him, I am free from sin's hold over me; I'll not have it reign over me...this is what killed my Saviour; I want no part of it... He died that I might have victory over this, through Him; in Him.."

Romans 5:

21. That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

You'll note that some of the testimonials of those who contemplated suicide but did not, all share a common trait thus far - where they focused their minds - how that they'd end up hurting loved ones, and the action they willed against suicide based on said focus.

That passage in Romans 6:12, is basically doing the same thing. Thus its word "therefore."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Whereas you promote compassion, empathy, beauty and understanding right? :plain:

You are one of the most immature, puerile and downright childishly obnoxious posters I've ever encountered on here, and you've not even remotely grown up within near enough ten years of reading your ongoing garbage.

What do you have against Legos?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Someone told me just the other day that she had suicidal thoughts some months ago. She had been on meth for awhile and felt that there was no other way to end the torment she was going through. I'm sure that being on meth that she was not thinking clearly. She said she was sitting outside a restaurant for about two hours thinking about ending her life. But she kept thinking about her two small children and this was a turning point for her to ask for help. She called a member of the family who took her to the hospital and she went into a rehab program and is doing very well now.
I have also known people who have committed suicide. I don't know what was going through their minds. It seems to be a very dark place to be. Maybe they got lost in that darkness and reached a point of no return. I think at that point they probably weren't capable of thinking clearly about what they were doing or who they would be hurting. It would seem more like just going through the motions in a body and with a mind completely numb and unaware of anything else beyond that moment.
I don't believe that suicide is deserving of hell. My heart really goes out to people who do this and have lost all hope and whose minds are so shattered. I believe that God has perfect love, compassion, mercy, forgiveness and takes all things into consideration.

Thank you for this. It's beautiful.

Arthur Brain

"Other"

The noun has taken on a meaning at TOL beyond its original intent—heretic. Sigh.

AMR

It's news to me if that was the original intent. I chose 'other' because none of the other designations fit. I don't belong to any church or any particular affiliation. I'm not an atheist, Muslim, or Buddhist etc and as I'm not into labels or being labelled then it was the closest one to fit the bill.

Considering that Calvinism has its fair share of people who regard it as heretical (along with all manner of subsets of Christian beliefs) then it scarcely matters if people think 'others' are heretical simply based on non affiliation alone.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Someone told me just the other day that she had suicidal thoughts some months ago. She had been on meth for awhile and felt that there was no other way to end the torment she was going through. I'm sure that being on meth that she was not thinking clearly. She said she was sitting outside a restaurant for about two hours thinking about ending her life. But she kept thinking about her two small children and this was a turning point for her to ask for help. She called a member of the family who took her to the hospital and she went into a rehab program and is doing very well now.
I have also known people who have committed suicide. I don't know what was going through their minds. It seems to be a very dark place to be. Maybe they got lost in that darkness and reached a point of no return. I think at that point they probably weren't capable of thinking clearly about what they were doing or who they would be hurting. It would seem more like just going through the motions in a body and with a mind completely numb and unaware of anything else beyond that moment.
I don't believe that suicide is deserving of hell. My heart really goes out to people who do this and have lost all hope and whose minds are so shattered. I believe that God has perfect love, compassion, mercy, forgiveness and takes all things into consideration.

There are posters on this site who the above person needs to keep away from.

They have no love or compassion for anyone.

They would only give the suicidal thinking person every reason to suicide.

Hypocrites they are, who will suffer greatly in hell if they do not repent.

LA

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
It is God's will that all men be saved (1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV) by believing what Christ did for us (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV). It's up to each individual to hear the gospel and after hearing it trust the Lord believing it (Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV) or not (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV). Those who do not, will perish (2 Thessalonians 2:10 KJV).

Suicide is a non issue like any other sin as the debt was already forgiven (2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, Colossians 2:13 KJV). The issue today is unbelief as the righteousness of God (which is the standard for heaven) is only upon all them that believe (Romans 3:21-22 KJV).

Yep

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

LA

Who for instance?

meshak

BANNED
Banned

It is not majority but some Jesus' followers don't believe in non-belivers live in lake of fire for eternity. It is not scriptural. Non-belivers will perish if they don't accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

there is a thread about it:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109556

Last edited:

truthjourney

LA
I'm not suicidal. If I was I wouldn't be going through chemo right now so I can live.