People who commit suicide go to Hell

RCLady

Study: 63% of ‘Catholics’ Don’t Think Suicide Sends A Person To Hell

August 23, 2015

Charismanews.com reports:

Most Americans believe they are seeing an epidemic in the United States of people taking their own lives.

But most Americans don’t view suicide as a selfish choice, and they don’t believe it sends people to hell, LifeWay Research finds…

Fewer than a quarter of Americans (23 percent) say people who take their own lives go to hell. More than 6 in 10 Americans say suicide does not lead to hell, and 16 percent are not sure.

However, Christians (27 percent)—and particularly evangelicals (32 percent)—are more likely than others to believe suicide leads to damnation.

Catholics believe more firmly than Protestants that suicide does not send people to hell, with 63 percent of Catholics and 54 percent of Protestants taking that stance. Protestants (19 percent) are more likely to indicate they don’t know whether people who commit suicide go to hell compared to Catholics (12 percent)…

http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/ Comment: According to Catholic teaching, suicide is a mortal sin that sends people to Hell.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Only a completely compassionless blowhard would determine that anyone who ends their own life would go or deserves to go to some sort of "hell".

While I would agree that suicide is not something *deserving* of hell, it is also one of the most selfish decisions a person can make.

While I can empathize with the desperation and thinking of "it would be so much easier if", I will never understand how someone could put their family and loved one's through such heartbreak.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Suicide is the byproduct of a form of insanity. Someone overcomes their own instinct for survival, their biological and emotional imperative...they need help, not judgment.

Help comes in different forms. I think that people need to look past themselves to realize that such a selfish act would forever leave their loved ones devastated.

Giving up one one's self is easy. Giving up on your family shouldn't be.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
According to Catholic teaching, suicide is a mortal sin that sends people to Hell.

It is the notion of venial and mortal sin and justification that can be lost underlying these sort of Romanist errors.

Justification is an act of God's free grace, wherein God pardons all our sins, and accepts us as righteous in his sight, only for the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and received by faith alone.

"Far too frequently we fail to entertain the gravity of this fact. Hence the reality of our sin and the reality of the wrath of God upon us for our sin do not come into our reckoning. This is the reason why the grand article of justification does not ring the bells in the innermost depths of our spirit" (Src: John Murray, Redemption Accomplished and Applied Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1955).​

Our realization, spoken of by Murray above, and well understood by Augustine, is solely due to God’s grace and conviction. Only then do we realize what utter sinfulness and pollution dwell in the very depths of our nature can we learn what it means to be justified.

{I}t is God who justifies" (Romans 5:33). Justification is that which we do not and cannot effect for ourselves. It is "not any religious exercise in which we engage however noble and good that religious exercise may be" (Murray, ibid.). Underscoring this fact is another. Justification does not mean that one is to be, or be made, or become inherently good, holy, or upright. To the contrary, it is the sinner who is justified, and at the very instant that he is declared just by God, he remains inherently sinful and unworthy.

Justification is not a term meaning to make a person holy. Rather, justification is a legal declaration. It is in this sense that we find it in Scripture. "If there is a dispute between men, and they come to court, that the judges may judge them," it is their duty to "justify the righteous and condemn the wicked" (Deuteronomy 25:1). Obviously, if the word justify meant to actually make righteous, it would be hard to see that the Lord would condemn such. What is more pleasing to God than for the wicked to forsake wickedness and be righteous? Thus, if the human judge cannot justify the wicked, then neither can the term justify mean to make the wicked man just. The word justify means to declare, rather than to constitute, him what he is.

When the publicans justified God (Luke 7:29), they did not make him just; they only declared him to be just. And conversely, when the judge condemns the wicked (Deuteronomy 25:1), the judge does not make him wicked—the judge only declares that he is wicked. Justification, like condemnation, is a judicial declaration. And therefore justification is said to be judicial. It concerns that judgment which is declared. ”The distinction is like that of the distinction between the act of a surgeon and the act of a judge. The surgeon, when he removes an inward cancer, does something in us. That is not what a judge does-he gives a verdict regarding our judicial status” (Murray, ibid.).

Therein is the marvel of justification. God does what a human judge cannot and must not do. God declares righteous those who are really ungodly (Romans 4:5; 3:19-24). If men were to do so it would be abomination (Proverbs 17:15). But God does so and yet is not unrighteous in doing it. How does God do so? God provides a just and legal basis upon which to declare the unrighteous to be just. And he does this by imputation (that is, to reckon, think, or regard). By imputation of the righteousness of Christ God is able to cause the sinner to legally possess a righteousness and to be freed from unrighteousness even while a sinner. And having thus constituted sinners righteous, he is able to declare them to be such.

The Protestant rightly speaks of double imputation because of Christ's active (perfectly obeying God's law) and passive (fully suffering the penalty of the law against sin) obedience. God regards his righteousness to be ours, and our guilt to be his. Without imputation of both (our guilt to him and his righteousness to us) there would be no basis for justification. But upon this basis God is able to declare us righteous in his sight. And this declarative act is justification.

From this it clearly emerges that the sole ground of our justification is the obedience of Christ. Our justification cannot be, in any sense, our own righteousness. Paul expresses this wonderfully: "I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count then) as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith" (Phil. 3:8-9).

One of the basic errors of Popery is confusion of justification and sanctification, that is, between legal and inherent righteousness. For Rome teaches that at certain times (e.g., immediately after baptism, or reception of one of the other sacraments) a person is just. However what is meant is that the person is actually made internally holy and not just legally righteous before God. This holiness, according to Rome, can then be partially or even totally destroyed by sin, venial or mortal. For the Romanist, a person may cease to be just. He must again be justified through sacramental grace. And on it goes in a constant cycle on the Romanist’s sacramental treadmill.

For the Roman Catholic, sin nullifies sacramental grace, and then sacramental grace nullifies sin. This is a doctrine that gives no peace (Romans 5:1). A person can never be certain of his standing with God. But more than this, it does not make sense. For if sacramental grace actually produced inward holiness, then why would that person ever sin again, if justification meant perfect inward holiness, then there could be no further sin, because a "perfect tree will bring forth perfect fruit" (see Luke 6:43-45).

Do justified sinners (that is, true believers) who commit suicide end up in hell? No. Their justification is not something they can revoke for they did not declare themselves justified in the first place.

If a person winds up in Hell after suicide, their destination was Hell even if they had died at a ripe old age from other causes. These persons were never regenerated believers in the first place. From God's perspective, their eternal destiny was never a question of their own contingent choices, for none of those given by the Father for whom Our Lord explicitly came to redeem will be lost to Him.

AMR

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
I really hope God isn't so cruel as to eternally damn suicide victims to Hell. But it's something I've heard very often.

Arthur Brain

It is the notion of venial and mortal sin and justification that can be lost underlying these sort of Romanist errors.

Justification is an act of God's free grace, wherein God pardons all our sins, and accepts us as righteous in his sight, only for the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and received by faith alone.

"Far too frequently we fail to entertain the gravity of this fact. Hence the reality of our sin and the reality of the wrath of God upon us for our sin do not come into our reckoning. This is the reason why the grand article of justification does not ring the bells in the innermost depths of our spirit" (Src: John Murray, Redemption Accomplished and Applied Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1955).​

Our realization, spoken of by Murray above, and well understood by Augustine, is solely due to God’s grace and conviction. Only then do we realize what utter sinfulness and pollution dwell in the very depths of our nature can we learn what it means to be justified.

{I}t is God who justifies" (Romans 5:33). Justification is that which we do not and cannot effect for ourselves. It is "not any religious exercise in which we engage however noble and good that religious exercise may be" (Murray, ibid.). Underscoring this fact is another. Justification does not mean that one is to be, or be made, or become inherently good, holy, or upright. To the contrary, it is the sinner who is justified, and at the very instant that he is declared just by God, he remains inherently sinful and unworthy.

Justification is not a term meaning to make a person holy. Rather, justification is a legal declaration. It is in this sense that we find it in Scripture. "If there is a dispute between men, and they come to court, that the judges may judge them," it is their duty to "justify the righteous and condemn the wicked" (Deuteronomy 25:1). Obviously, if the word justify meant to actually make righteous, it would be hard to see that the Lord would condemn such. What is more pleasing to God than for the wicked to forsake wickedness and be righteous? Thus, if the human judge cannot justify the wicked, then neither can the term justify mean to make the wicked man just. The word justify means to declare, rather than to constitute, him what he is.

When the publicans justified God (Luke 7:29), they did not make him just; they only declared him to be just. And conversely, when the judge condemns the wicked (Deuteronomy 25:1), the judge does not make him wicked—the judge only declares that he is wicked. Justification, like condemnation, is a judicial declaration. And therefore justification is said to be judicial. It concerns that judgment which is declared. ”The distinction is like that of the distinction between the act of a surgeon and the act of a judge. The surgeon, when he removes an inward cancer, does something in us. That is not what a judge does-he gives a verdict regarding our judicial status” (Murray, ibid.).

Therein is the marvel of justification. God does what a human judge cannot and must not do. God declares righteous those who are really ungodly (Romans 4:5; 3:19-24). If men were to do so it would be abomination (Proverbs 17:15). But God does so and yet is not unrighteous in doing it. How does God do so? God provides a just and legal basis upon which to declare the unrighteous to be just. And he does this by imputation (that is, to reckon, think, or regard). By imputation of the righteousness of Christ God is able to cause the sinner to legally possess a righteousness and to be freed from unrighteousness even while a sinner. And having thus constituted sinners righteous, he is able to declare them to be such.

The Protestant rightly speaks of double imputation because of Christ's active (perfectly obeying God's law) and passive (fully suffering the penalty of the law against sin) obedience. God regards his righteousness to be ours, and our guilt to be his. Without imputation of both (our guilt to him and his righteousness to us) there would be no basis for justification. But upon this basis God is able to declare us righteous in his sight. And this declarative act is justification.

From this it clearly emerges that the sole ground of our justification is the obedience of Christ. Our justification cannot be, in any sense, our own righteousness. Paul expresses this wonderfully: "I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count then) as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith" (Phil. 3:8-9).

One of the basic errors of Popery is confusion of justification and sanctification, that is, between legal and inherent righteousness. For Rome teaches that at certain times (e.g., immediately after baptism, or reception of one of the other sacraments) a person is just. However what is meant is that the person is actually made internally holy and not just legally righteous before God. This holiness, according to Rome, can then be partially or even totally destroyed by sin, venial or mortal. For the Romanist, a person may cease to be just. He must again be justified through sacramental grace. And on it goes in a constant cycle on the Romanist’s sacramental treadmill.

For the Roman Catholic, sin nullifies sacramental grace, and then sacramental grace nullifies sin. This is a doctrine that gives no peace (Romans 5:1). A person can never be certain of his standing with God. But more than this, it does not make sense. For if sacramental grace actually produced inward holiness, then why would that person ever sin again, if justification meant perfect inward holiness, then there could be no further sin, because a "perfect tree will bring forth perfect fruit" (see Luke 6:43-45).

Do justified sinners (that is, true believers) who commit suicide end up in hell? No. Their justification is not something they can revoke for they did not declare themselves justified in the first place.

If a person winds up in Hell after suicide, their destination was Hell even if they had died at a ripe old age from other causes. These persons were never regenerated believers in the first place. From God's perspective, their eternal destiny was never a question of their own contingent choices, for none of those given by the Father for whom Our Lord explicitly came to redeem will be lost to Him.

AMR

Uh, right, so as long as the person who ends their life is part of the elect they're okay, it's just the others who are destined to eternal suffering. Pretty much the same as all the soldiers who died in the Vietnam war as well? Elect - Heaven. Anyone else - rotting in 'hell'.

Words can't express how contemptible any of this is...

truthjourney

Someone told me just the other day that she had suicidal thoughts some months ago. She had been on meth for awhile and felt that there was no other way to end the torment she was going through. I'm sure that being on meth that she was not thinking clearly. She said she was sitting outside a restaurant for about two hours thinking about ending her life. But she kept thinking about her two small children and this was a turning point for her to ask for help. She called a member of the family who took her to the hospital and she went into a rehab program and is doing very well now.
I have also known people who have committed suicide. I don't know what was going through their minds. It seems to be a very dark place to be. Maybe they got lost in that darkness and reached a point of no return. I think at that point they probably weren't capable of thinking clearly about what they were doing or who they would be hurting. It would seem more like just going through the motions in a body and with a mind completely numb and unaware of anything else beyond that moment.
I don't believe that suicide is deserving of hell. My heart really goes out to people who do this and have lost all hope and whose minds are so shattered. I believe that God has perfect love, compassion, mercy, forgiveness and takes all things into consideration.

Last edited:

OCTOBER23

Lazarus and THE RICH MAN

He was in Hell and he looked up and talked with Abraham .

How could he do that and where was Abraham

(in the New Jerusalem looking down on the Earth where they were burning the Trash.)

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and

was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom:

the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments,

and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

Hedshaker

While I would agree that suicide is not something *deserving* of hell, it is also one of the most selfish decisions a person can make.

While I can empathize with the desperation and thinking of "it would be so much easier if", I will never understand how someone would put their family and loved one's through such heartbreak.

Maybe if their family and loved ones could live inside their head for 10 minutes they might understand.

This is without question the most common reason people commit suicide. Severe depression is always accompanied by a pervasive sense of suffering as well as the belief that escape from it is hopeless. The pain of existence often becomes too much for severely depressed people to bear.3 Jun 2010

Link

Bradley D

The Bible does not say where a person that commits suicide goes. I believe it depends on the reason and the situation. I have a friend whose daughter committed suicide. I believe God understands why a person commits suicide. God is Love. He understands. God is merciful. God knows the reason why a person commits suicide. It is for God to judge, not me.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The Bible does not say where a person that commits suicide goes. I believe it depends on the reason and the situation. I have a friend whose daughter committed suicide. I believe God understands why a person commits suicide. God is Love. He understands. God is merciful. God knows the reason why a person commits suicide. It is for God to judge, not me.

very true. on earth we can have mental issues of many variations, confusion, feelings of helplessness, feeling burdensome, guilt, anger, depression, feeling worthless; of no value, etc, etc

God knows our pain (mental, physical), and He meets us where we are, not always where we want to be

:patrol:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
People go to hell because of sin. Suicide is a sin. But ALL manner of sin is forgivable including the sin of suicide. Saul did it, he's in heaven now.

Case closed

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Suicide is, considered in itself, a grave sin which, if accompanied by deliberate intention and knowledge, constitutes a mortal sin. It is a grave act of injustice against God and the political community, and constitutes, further, a grave offense against hope (one of the three theological virtues).

Anyone fully guilty of the sin of suicide, if there are no mitigating factors, and if he has not repented of this crime, must be condemned to Hell for all eternity.

Note, however, the qualifiers. I would remind you, RCLady, what we are told in the Scriptures:

"Then hear thou in heaven, in the place of thy dwelling, and forgive, and do so as to give to every one according to his ways, as thou shalt see his heart (for thou only knowest the heart of all the children of men)" (3 Kings 8:39 (1 Kings 8:39 in modern editions)).

Only God knows the heart. Only God can judge.

We, however, should pray ardently for those who have committed suicide, and pray that God might be merciful even to them.

eddie17

While I can empathize with the desperation and thinking of "it would be so much easier if", I will never understand how someone would put their family and loved one's through such heartbreak.

Do you think they are bothered when they are thinking they want to end their life?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
FALSE - prove your statement.

FALSE - prove your statement.

Study: 63% of ‘Catholics’ Don’t Think Suicide Sends A Person To Hell

August 23, 2015

Charismanews.com reports:

Most Americans believe they are seeing an epidemic in the United States of people taking their own lives.

But most Americans don’t view suicide as a selfish choice, and they don’t believe it sends people to hell, LifeWay Research finds…

Fewer than a quarter of Americans (23 percent) say people who take their own lives go to hell. More than 6 in 10 Americans say suicide does not lead to hell, and 16 percent are not sure.

However, Christians (27 percent)—and particularly evangelicals (32 percent)—are more likely than others to believe suicide leads to damnation.

Catholics believe more firmly than Protestants that suicide does not send people to hell, with 63 percent of Catholics and 54 percent of Protestants taking that stance. Protestants (19 percent) are more likely to indicate they don’t know whether people who commit suicide go to hell compared to Catholics (12 percent)…

http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/ Comment: According to Catholic teaching, suicide is a mortal sin that sends people to Hell.

Well,..it looks like more than half of Catholics reject Catholic teaching. Go figure. I wonder why :think:

You cannot PROVE that people who commit suicide go to 'hell' (wherever/whatever that is). You can only ASSUME such.

Furthermore as shared previously,....'God' and his heavenly court would possess or access as much knowledge as could be known about a particular soul and the conditions/factors affecting their decision of suicide, mediating the case with the utmost fairness, being wholly just and merciful. In such cases only 'God' could know, and I don't see suicide as meriting some eternal 'hell', when murderers all thru-out the bible are forgiven and worse sins. So to assume that all suicides go to hell has no logical support. If you can provide evidence for your 'statement' (arguments in support of), with all the logical/philosophical grounds for 'assuming' such,....do so.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People go to hell because of sin. Suicide is a sin. But ALL manner of sin is forgivable including the sin of suicide. Saul did it, he's in heaven now.

Case closed
Er, no. Nothing in Scripture can be used to argue Saul was regenerated (born again).

God (via Holy Spirit) uses even the wicked for His purposes. This is an amazing condescension on His part, especially when He speaks to them (Gen. 12:17-19).

Balaam, a Midianite, also received the Holy Spirit to prophesy (Numbers 24:1-2) but he was a non-Israelite and died in his sins (Numbers 31:8 cf. Revelation 2:14). There is no indication that Balaam was saved from anything nor received the spirit unto salvation. Why would we say anything different with Saul when there is no indication that he had faith and works, both of which are indisputable signs of regeneration?

When God gives a person the Holy Spirit unto regeneration they believe (1 Corinthians 2:14; 1 John 5:1) and they do good works (Matthew 7:18-20; Ephesians 2:1-10).

The argument that Saul had the Holy Spirit unto salvation from 1 Sam 10:6 and 1 Sam 10:9 is spurious. The word "turned" is not the word used in the OT/NT to refer to regeneration (as per Ezekiel 11:19; 36:26; Jeremiah 31:31; John 3:5; Titus 3:5).

In fact, the same word is used in Psalm 105:25 to refer to the enemies of Israel whom God "turned their heart to hate his people, to deal subtilly with his servants." Thus the word does not have to mean, and does not mean, that Saul was regenerate. Nor does the use of the word "another" imply "new". If the word "new" was used then it would refer to something in regards to regeneration done in the heart of Saul. But where is Saul's new heart? I see no such thing in the Biblical witness. Where is the heart that God gives "to cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them" (Ezekiel 36:27)?

However the account in Scripture is obviously referring to the turning of something in Saul's life and person. But exactly what?

The obvious answer is "courage" for Saul already questions his choosing in chapter 1 Sam 9:21. Saul would need that courage to defeat the Philistines for God´s people (1 Sam 10:16).That he had this lack of courage within himself is indicated by Saul's later hiding amongst the baggage (1 Sam 10:22) Finally the "other heart" is also for prophesying, which no one can do unless God directs and strengthens a man to do so.

Likewise Balaam never would have spoken for Israel precisely because he was being paid to do the opposite. But he did as God compelled; God's will was done even though it did not include Balaam's salvation. Similarly God can turn the heart of the Assyrian king unto the people for their good (Ezra 6:22 and forward, Isaiah 45:1) but he was not regenerate, anymore than God hardening Pharoah's heart was an indication of His favor to him.

The Scripture narrative explicitly tells us that Saul was the handsome and tallest man in Israel. In contrast, however, when David is chosen we read, 1 Samuel 16:7 "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

We must remember that Saul was a punishment to Israel. (1 Samuel 8) God had promised a king to them, (Genesis 49:10; Deuteronomy 17:14-20; 1 Kings 2:10) but they did not want to have God reign over them and therefore He gives them a man who is no good for them (1 Samuel 8:10-18). Saul was not a man after God's own heart but David was. Clearly the choosing of Saul was to illustrate God's sovereign purposes in doing what is good for Israel, even when she acts and chooses badly. When God decides what is right and when we are ready to have it, then it is good. As soon as we act (selfishly) on our own impulses disaster results.

Listen to the voices of those that have come before us:

Spoiler

John Calvin:

God inspires special activities, in accordance with each man´s calling. Many examples of this occur in The Book of Judges, where it is said that "the Spirit of the Lord took possession" of those men whom he had called to rule the people [Judges 6:34]. In short, in every extraordinary event there is some particular impulsion. For this reason, Saul was followed by the brave men "whose hearts God had touched" [1 Samuel 10:26]. And when Saul´s consecration as king was foretold, Samuel said: "Then the Spirit of the Lord will come mightily upon you, and you shall be another man" 1 Samuel 10:6]. And this was extended to the whole course of government, as is said afterward of David: "The Spirit of the Lord came upon him from that day forward" [1 Samuel 16:13].

"we point out what special grace the Lord has bestowed upon the one, while not deigning to bestow it upon the other. When he wished to put Saul over the kingdom he "formed him as a new man" [1 Samuel 10:6 p.]. This is the reason that Plato, alluding to the Homeric legend, says that kings' sons are born with some distinguishing mark. For God, in providing for the human race, often endows with a heroic nature those destined to command."

Zacharias Ursinus, in his commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism, notes, Twentieth Lord's Day (Q&A 53), section IX: "Whether, and how the Holy Ghost May Be Lost" :

"The Holy Spirit left Saul who was one of the elect. Therefore he may leave others also.

Answer:
It was not the Spirit of regeneration and adoption which forsook Saul, but the spirit of prophecy, of wisdom, courage and other gifts of a similar character with which he was endowed. Neither was he chosen unto eternal life, but merely to be king, as Judas was chosen to the apostleship. It is still further objected: The Spirit of regeneration may also forsake the elect; for David prayed, "Restore unto me the joys of thy salvation." To this we reply that the godly may, and often do lose many of the gifts of the Spirit of regeneration; but they do not lose them wholly: for it cannot possible be that they should lose every particle of faith, inasmuch as they do not sin unto death; but from the weakness of the flesh, not being perfectly renewed in this life. This the apostle John expressly affirms when he says, "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." (1 John 3:19) David in his fall, lost the joy which he had felt in his soul, the purity of conscience, and many other gifts which he earnestly prayed might be restored unto him; but he had not wholly lost the Spirit of God."

Likewise Matthew Henry explains:

What occurred by the way, v. 9. Those signs which Samuel had given him came to pass very punctually; but that which gave him the greatest satisfaction of all was this, he found immediately that God had given him another heart. A new fire was kindled in his breast, such as he had never before been acquainted with: seeking the ***** is quite out of his mind, and he thinks of nothing but fighting the Philistines, redressing the grievances of Israel, making laws, administering justice, and providing for the public safety; these are the things that now fill his head. He finds himself raised to such a pitch of boldness and bravery as he never thought he should be conscious of. He has no longer the heart of a husbandman, which is low, and mean, and narrow, and concerned only about his corn and cattle; but the heart of a statesman, a general, a prince. Whom God calls to any service he will make fit for it. If he advance to another station, he will give another heart, to those who sincerely desire to serve him with their power.

Only when one starts to assume Hebrews 6 is teaching that the regenerated believer can lose his or her salvation do we see the sort of wrong assumptions you have made above.

AMR

Last edited: