Paul: "The Just (Justified) Shall Live By Faith" and not by rules, laws or religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You are not a Jew or spiritual Israel, Jacob (Ephesians 2:11-12 KJV). You're just a wannabe player...

Incorrect. I read, study, observe, keep, and teach the Torah. I do not believe in spiritual Israel.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It is my belief that a person will act in public as they are in private.
How do you justify that belief? It doesn't seem to square with reality. There are people who are forthright about their moral failings, and then there are those who are not; but everybody morally fails somewhere and somehow.
If a person lives according to God's Law
But nobody does, not perfectly, as the Tanak says.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
How do you justify that belief? It doesn't seem to square with reality. There are people who are forthright about their moral failings, and then there are those who are not; but everybody morally fails somewhere and somehow.
But nobody does, not perfectly, as the Tanak says.

It has to do with whether or not you practice sin. If you treat others the way that you want to be treated, the way God wants them to be treated, then you do well, whether at home or outside of the home.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It has to do with whether or not you practice sin. If you treat others the way that you want to be treated, the way God wants them to be treated, then you do well, whether at home or outside of the home.
What do you mean by "practice sin?" Do you mean something like, habitual sin?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What do you mean by "practice sin?" Do you mean something like, habitual sin?

It could mean that. I mean if what you do transgresses God's Law. If you do not love God with all of your heart, with all of your soul, and with all of you might, and your neighbor as yourself. If what you do with your life is sin, you need to repent of that sin.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It could mean that. I mean if what you do transgresses God's Law. If you do not love God with all of your heart, with all of your soul, and with all of you might, and your neighbor as yourself. If what you do with your life is sin, you need to repent of that sin.
I believe that if you believe that the Lord Jesus is risen from the dead, then you do love God with all of your heart, with all of your soul, and with all of your might, and your neighbor as yourself. If what you do with your life is grave sin (objectively), then you need to contritely reconcile with the Church before receiving Holy Communion.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe that if you believe that the Lord Jesus is risen from the dead, then you do love God with all of your heart, with all of your soul, and with all of your might, and your neighbor as yourself. If what you do with your life is grave sin (objectively), then you need to contritely reconcile with the Church before receiving Holy Communion.

You are saying that as a non-Catholic and I am not a Catholic either. I do not participate in Catholic things. I do not even call myself a Christian.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You are saying that as a non-Catholic and I am not a Catholic either. I do not participate in Catholic things. I do not even call myself a Christian.
You do understand how some people, perhaps many, would consider you a Christian, even if you do not identify as Christian, because you believe that the Lord Jesus is risen from the dead? Nobody believes that, except Christians.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You do understand how some people, perhaps many, would consider you a Christian, even if you do not identify as Christian, because you believe that the Lord Jesus is risen from the dead? Nobody believes that, except Christians.
I am a Jew. I used to call myself a Christian.

TestedandTried

There is no mention of heaven in Hebrews 4:10, nor is there any mention of heaven in the whole 4th chapter. We rest in Christ work and not our own. Those that have not entered into Christ work and rest are the lost, Hebrews 4:3.

If this is new to you then look at chapter 3 first...He speaks of God's Judgement Day and also the Day of Rest. Chapter 4 follows, but stands alone in this interpretation as well...
Hebrews 4:8-11:
For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

How does Joshua enter the scenario you point out? He doesn't, he cannot. Jacob led Israel to the "Promised Land", Canaan, and the Lord would provide rest...earthly rest...this did not materialize b/c most were disobedient. Hebrews tells us God had far greater plans...Heavenly rest which only He, God, would provide.

I hope my view is clear enough to be properly understood.
Again, Joshua was an archtype of Christ and shows us in earthly terms what God will do in spiritual terms.

Robert Pate

Banned
If this is new to you then look at chapter 3 first...He speaks of God's Judgement Day and also the Day of Rest. Chapter 4 follows, but stands alone in this interpretation as well...
Hebrews 4:8-11:
For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

How does Joshua enter the scenario you point out? He doesn't, he cannot. Jacob led Israel to the "Promised Land", Canaan, and the Lord would provide rest...earthly rest...this did not materialize b/c most were disobedient. Hebrews tells us God had far greater plans...Heavenly rest which only He, God, would provide.

I hope my view is clear enough to be properly understood.
Again, Joshua was an archtype of Christ and shows us in earthly terms what God will do in spiritual terms.

I understand that about Joshua and the promised land.

That is not what Hebrews 4:10 is about. All that hear the Gospel and cease from their own works and rest in the work of Christ will be saved. Those that continue to trust in their own works and do not enter into Christ rest will perish.

TestedandTried

I understand that about Joshua and the promised land.

That is not what Hebrews 4:10 is about. All that hear the Gospel and cease from their own works and rest in the work of Christ will be saved. Those that continue to trust in their own works and do not enter into Christ rest will perish.

Forgive me, but that is a very poor defense of your stand...none at all actually...just restating your understanding.
How does Joshua bring about a ceasing from works? Why does Scripture put it that way amidst all the surrounding text speaking to Judgement Day?

clefty

There is no mention of heaven in Hebrews 4:10, nor is there any mention of heaven in the whole 4th chapter. We rest in Christ work and not our own. Those that have not entered into Christ work and rest are the lost, Hebrews 4:3.

http://www.icogsfg.org/fc-heb-4-9.html

"There remains for the people of Yah a Sabbath keeping"

Sabbath keeping is a day of rest...the seventh day...not every day...

"for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,just as God did from his"

How did Yah rest? After His work of six days...

That TGIF feeling is your body telling you to remember the Sabbath day...keep it holy...

Status
Not open for further replies.