OSAS and Suicide

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why shouldn't an OSAS believer kill himself?

:think: I can actually see the logic in your question being that by virtue of that belief they would automatically end all of their human suffering and go to heaven.

So, I will just add this: personal responsibility and obligations. Simply put ... due to the fact that family and loved one's would be devastated by the loss, it would be an act of selfishness and cowardice.

glassjester

:think: I can actually see the logic in your question being that by virtue of that belief they would automatically end all of their human suffering and go to heaven.

So, I will just add this: personal responsibility and obligations. Simply put ... due to the fact that family and loved one's would be devastated by the loss, it would be an act of selfishness and cowardice.

I definitely agree. But I don't see why an Osasian should.

For him, any earthly responsibility, or feelings of devastation can't even begin to compare to the bliss of the life of the world to come.

And, just to push the envelope a bit further... shouldn't he kill his family, too?

Seriously, don't kill yourself.
Or your family.

nikolai_42

Why shouldn't an OSAS believer kill himself?

As has already been pointed out, suicide (in the context of the OP) is selfish. On top of that, it's an act either of rebellion or despair (or both) neither of which characterize someone who has been born again from above. One can say "I have my ticket punched and I'm safe" or "I've been redeemed for the glory of God and it is a delight to serve Him". Technically, either one could be forgiven - but only one of those evidences the true Spirit of God at work in an individual.

glassjester

As has already been pointed out, suicide (in the context of the OP) is selfish. On top of that, it's an act either of rebellion or despair (or both) neither of which characterize someone who has been born again from above. One can say "I have my ticket punched and I'm safe" or "I've been redeemed for the glory of God and it is a delight to serve Him". Technically, either one could be forgiven - but only one of those evidences the true Spirit of God at work in an individual.

Would he still be saved?

nikolai_42

Would he still be saved?

The answer to that question doesn't change anything. The assumption is that the security of one's salvation being divorced from one's acts provides no barrier to self-destruction or even self-indulgence. "If I do 'x', I'm still saved" is the general statement that describes the position. The answer has to be "yes" if one's salvation is not resting upon one's own works. The answer is "no" if one's salvation IS resting upon one's works. That simple. So the alternative to security of salvation apart from works is works salvation.

The one who presupposes works salvation will argue that the one who has this security apart from their actions is then free to do what they want. While true in one sense, it ignores the fact that the one who believes in salvation apart from works and is born again is not the same person they once were. They are changed and it is necessarily the Spirit of the Lord prompting their thoughts and actions. That doesn't mean they will be perfect, but it does mean they won't be looking for any excuse to indulge themselves.

So the fact that the answer to your question is "Yes. Based only on the fact that one is not saved by works nor lost after being saved by works, suicide would not take away their salvation" does not negate the fact that the real point of salvation makes this a straw man. At least in the instance where someone really is born again.

theophilus

I am an OSAS believer who believes God is the giver and taker of life.

For me, suicide is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit...or I would have done it a long time ago.

Part of my regular prayer is that "if I cannot live for Thee, O Lord, then let me die."

Heaven knows I have the arsenal at home to do it.

Last edited: