OSAS and Suicide

SaulToPaul 2

I attended a local "Jim Jones" meeting, rally, at the U. of Missouri, in college, in the late 1970's, in response to this flyer:

"The local chapter of the Jim Jones fellowship will meet at 7:00 P.M., at Middlebrook Hall. Kool-Aid will be served."

"I kill me"("Alf").

Oh boy, you're a real riot aren't you fella!? You should do stand up in Las Vegas.

Who was it that said that? Calvin Coolidge?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The penalty for sin was paid at the cross. That includes murder, adultery, slave trade, sodomy, and any other capital offenses one can think up.

Only for those who repent of their sin.

Paul was aware of Jesus' death and he still insisted that the wages of sin is death.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Let you be accursed.

Romans 5

6 For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly....8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us....10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Paul was aware of Jesus' death and he still insisted that the wages of sin is death.

Romans 3

10 As it is written: “There is none righteous, no, not one; 11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. 12 They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one.”

No disputing that the wages of death is sin. This is why he went to the cross.

Last edited:

glassjester

You are just so radically confused. But I can see why, being an RCC devotee.

If someone knows, with 100% certainty, that:

1. He is saved, no matter what he does.
2. No experience in this life could possibly be better than what he will experience following his own bodily death.

Then why shouldn't he wish to die?

Right Divider

Body part

You really must get the big picture and NOT read HALF verses (sentences).
Rom 6:23 KJV For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Unlike you, Paul continued ON to the ANSWER.

Right Divider

Body part
If someone knows, with 100% certainty, that:

1. He is saved, no matter what he does.
2. No experience in this life could possibly be better than what he will experience following his own bodily death.

Then why shouldn't he wish to die?
Because we want to be FAITHFUL and self murder is NOT of faith.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
As human beings, I am not convinced people are able to get past the fear of the unknown. Insofar as his/her family, they would have to make the assumption that their family would be spending eternity with them.

Personally, I think that people fear death more than they are willing to admit because once it's done, everything is out of your control.

The bolded portion makes a lot of sense. For the Christian there's no
fear of where our soul is headed. However, it's possible to fear the
manner of death we must endure? A long painful drawn out death or
an instantaneous demise?

glorydaz

The answer to that question doesn't change anything. The assumption is that the security of one's salvation being divorced from one's acts provides no barrier to self-destruction or even self-indulgence. "If I do 'x', I'm still saved" is the general statement that describes the position. The answer has to be "yes" if one's salvation is not resting upon one's own works. The answer is "no" if one's salvation IS resting upon one's works. That simple. So the alternative to security of salvation apart from works is works salvation.

The one who presupposes works salvation will argue that the one who has this security apart from their actions is then free to do what they want. While true in one sense, it ignores the fact that the one who believes in salvation apart from works and is born again is not the same person they once were. They are changed and it is necessarily the Spirit of the Lord prompting their thoughts and actions. That doesn't mean they will be perfect, but it does mean they won't be looking for any excuse to indulge themselves.

So the fact that the answer to your question is "Yes. Based only on the fact that one is not saved by works nor lost after being saved by works, suicide would not take away their salvation" does not negate the fact that the real point of salvation makes this a straw man. At least in the instance where someone really is born again.

I love this post, and that I highlighted in yellow specifically. :thumb:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Right, but why not?

The "True Believer" is indwelt and sealed by the Holy Spirit. They are
part of the Body of Christ. A person without hope, eternal or otherwise,
is more apt to destroy their existence. My Grandfather on my Mothers
side committed suicide. He was not a Christian.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
As human beings, I am not convinced people are able to get past the fear of the unknown. Insofar as his/her family, they would have to make the assumption that their family would be spending eternity with them.

Personally, I think that people fear death more than they are willing to admit because once it's done, everything is out of your control.

Death is naturally ominous, and humans are naturally skeptical. Even for those of faith, I believe God has it rigged into our minds so that we stay aware of how important life is.

Because let's look at the lunatics who take death as 'stepping from one realm to the next' further, like the Jonestown massacre :nono:
God would never call upon people to take their own lives when there is another solution.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I've already solved the inquiry of this thread in posts #35 and #39. I don't see what the continued confusion is about :rolleyes: