ECT Opened graves

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why do you think they were left alive in the grave for 3 days?

oatmeal

Why do you think they were left alive in the grave for 3 days?

Your OP.

Matthew 27:52-53 KJV
(52) And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
(53) And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.​

Raised from the grave in mortal bodies or celestial bodies?

When does it say they came out of the graves?

came out of the graves after his resurrection,

Since Jesus was in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights, well, at least according to Jesus Christ he was, you figure it out.

Matthew 12:40

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jesus Christ was buried, or entombed for three days and three nights, he was dead for longer than that.

If dead people rose up at Jesus' death, then those that arose from the dead did not come out from the time of Jesus death to his being buried plus the three days and nights he was buried.

Add it up, if those verses are genuine, they read that they arose, but did not come out of their graves for three days and three nights plus the time from Jesus death to his burial.

musterion

If Lazarus and the others raised at the crucifixion remained alive in immortal bodies, why do we hear no more of them? Walking, talking miracles that potentially hundreds could attest to, from before the Pentecostal gifts kicked in...seems like a no-brainer, IF they were raised incorruptible.

musterion

Would you wish that on your wife or mother or children?

Be raised from the dead but can't leave their coffin for another three days and nights?

What part of earthquake don't you get?

musterion

You are correct.

Those verses are insertions.

There is nothing in the Bible to corroborate them.

The verses themselves say somethings ridiculous.

LA

Check out this logic:

The Bible contains "ridiculous insertions" (i.e., it is corrupted), which - if one were honest with himself - would demand NONE of it can be trusted because the God who gave it cannot be trusted to keep it uncorrupted.

Yet this person, LA, claims that same God has spoken to and through him, and that we here have no authority on which to doubt that claim, on pain of judgment and damnation.

Anyone else seeing the demonically dark mind here? Same basic low view of God and of Scripture that a Mormon or other benighted cultist would hold.

oatmeal

What part of earthquake don't you get?

What part of those verses have you actually read besides earthquake?

Earthquakes do not raise people from the dead.

Matthew 27:50-53

Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

I am sorry, I thought you were trying to make a point.

Or did I miss it?

musterion

Earthquakes do not raise people from the dead.

Who said they can?

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

I am sorry, I thought you were trying to make a point.

Or did I miss it?
Point is, you're Mr. I Believe, Thus I Speak.

I believe this passage.

You don't.

Not my problem.

oatmeal

Check out this logic:

The Bible contains "ridiculous insertions" (i.e., it is corrupted), which - if one were honest with himself - would demand NONE of it can be trusted because the God who gave it cannot be trusted to keep it uncorrupted.

Yet this person, LA, claims that same God has spoken to and through him, and that we here have no authority on which to doubt that claim, on pain of judgment and damnation.

Anyone else seeing the demonically dark mind here? Same basic low view of God and of Scripture that a Mormon or other benighted cultist would hold.

IF you wish to trash all of scripture then by all means do so, that is your right, or rather your wrong.

Evidently, you believe all theologians, scribes, Bible students are above reproach even so much as they did not need a savior?

Why are words italicized in the KJV?

What is their origin? the texts? or someone or something else?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your OP.

When does it say they came out of the graves?

Since Jesus was in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights, well, at least according to Jesus Christ he was, you figure it out.

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jesus Christ was buried, or entombed for three days and three nights, he was dead for longer than that.

If dead people rose up at Jesus' death, then those that arose from the dead did not come out from the time of Jesus death to his being buried plus the three days and nights he was buried.

Add it up, if those verses are genuine, they read that they arose, but did not come out of their graves for three days and three nights plus the time from Jesus death to his burial.
The verses do not say that they remained in the grave for three days.

oatmeal

Who said they can?

Point is, you're Mr. I Believe, Thus I Speak.

I believe this passage.

You don't.

Not my problem.

Do you really think that God, who is love, would put anyone through the experience of being raised from the dead but being stuck in your coffin for three days and night before you get to leave?

You can have your version of God. I'll take the God who raised Jesus Christ from the dead.

musterion

Berry's Interlinear (your enemy) puts it thus:

...and the earth was shaken and the rocks were rent and the tombs were opened and many bodies of the fallen asleep saints arose and having gone forth out of the tombs after His arising entered into the holy city and appeared unto many.
They arose and left their open tombs after He left His.

What's the problem?

oatmeal

The verses do not say that they remained in the grave for three days.

I had much problem with those versed myself. I could not reconcile a loving God with one that would raise people from the dead but leave them in their graves for three days and nights

That is just not the God who is love, who is light and in him is no darkness at all.

God is not the God of the dead, but of the living, why raise them and leave them in their graves?

Read what those verses say and Matthew 12:40 and put them together.

I read that there are texts in extant that do not contain those two verses.

They do not fit scripture, they do not glorify God

musterion

No punctuation or verse breaks in the Greek. Keeping your bold, though, try this.

And the graves were opened and many bodies of the saints which slept arose and came out of the graves after his resurrection and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Makes sense to me.

Quit arguing from emotion. Quit reading into the passage what it does not say.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Read what those verses say and Matthew 12:40 and put them together.

It still doesn't say that the they were alive in the grave for 3 days before they came out of the grave.

oatmeal

No punctuation or verse breaks in the Greek. Keeping your bold, though, try this.

Makes sense to me.

Quit arguing from emotion. Quit reading into the passage what it does not say.

It is still weird.

The bodies of the saints arose? But not the saints? Just the bodies? You mean like zombies? Which saints? David? Noah? Solomon? Jeremiah? Malachi? John the Baptist?

Why some? why not all? If you are going to raise some bodies of saints why not all bodies?

When Jesus raises Laz, did he say, "body come forth" or "Lazarus come forth"?

43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

When Peter raised Tabitha, "Body arise"? or "Tabitha, arise" Acts 9:40

What was the profit of the bodies arising?

Luke 16:31

And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Seems to me, my posts are based on scripture, they are not based on emotion.

They may contain some emotion for I am human, not a machine, but should you take the time to read my posts, they are largely scripture

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It still doesn't say that the they were alive in the grave for 3 days before they came out of the grave.

:thumb: Correct.

"and many bodies of the saints which slept arose and came out of the graves after his resurrection."

Earthquakes don't cause resurrections, God does. Earthquakes can open graves and that's it. Earthquakes are not a source of life, only the living can impart life.

musterion

It is still weird.

The bodies of the saints arose? But not the saints? Just the bodies? You mean like zombies? Which saints? David? Noah? Solomon? Jeremiah? Malachi? John the Baptist?

Why some? why not all? If you are going to raise some bodies of saints why not all bodies?

When Jesus raises Laz, did he say, "body come forth" or "Lazarus come forth"?

43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

When Peter raised Tabitha, "Body arise"? or "Tabitha, arise" Acts 9:40

What was the profit of the bodies arising?

Luke 16:31

And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Seems to me, my posts are based on scripture, they are not based on emotion.

They may contain some emotion for I am human, not a machine, but should you take the time to read my posts, they are largely scripture

Weird? I wouldn't call it that. Unusual? Supernatural? Miraculous? Duh, definitely yes. That was the point of the event.

Look. Either accept the account as is, or don't. But you're seeking to pry into things God chose not to have recorded for us. You would be wise to stop.