MUST WE CONFESS EVERY SIN TO BE FORGIVEN?

Samie

I'd have my sinuses checked if I were you? One MUST place their faith in Christ as their Savior before they become a child of God. You must be a Calvinist?
If I remember right, you placed me in your ignore list. Did you already remove me from that list, my brother?

Were you forgiven from sin BEFORE you believed in Christ?

I know this is a very simple question, but I do have a funny feeling you will not address this directly with a Yes or No.

Spockrates

MUST WE CONFESS EVERY SIN TO BE FORGIVEN?

1 John 1:9 states: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

At first glance, one might ascertain that means we need to confess each sin we commit in order to be forgiven of that particular sin. However, that contradicts the Scriptures that state, Christ died for the sins of all. He paid the price with His shed blood and that was a one time sacrifice.

The Bible tells us, "By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." Christ paid the price once and for all. The True Believers sins were already paid for therefore, we need not add anything to what Christ already accomplished. So, what is that Scripture verse really saying? It's relating to us that after we hear the Gospel of our salvation, we must confess to God that we are guilty of being a lost sinner and willing to place ALL of our faith in Christ as our Savior.

Christ's sacrifice was accepted by God the Father when Christ was raised from the dead. It was finished. We need only place our faith in Christ while admitting that we're a sinner in need of a Savior and that Savior is The Lord Jesus Christ. So far as desiring a good relationship with God goes, I personally think confessing a known sin that we've committed is a good way to show God our desire to have good fellowship with Him. However, we need not confess each and every sin in order to be forgiven. We've already been forgiven!

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

So I'm confused. You see, I work for a tech business, and in programming code, the word if denotes a conditional statement. Only if a certain condition is met does the code execute a certain task. If the condition is not met, the task is not carried out by the program.

For example, the script behind this website has the condition that if I select the send button, the comment I type is sent. If I never selected the send button, none of you would have seen this comment.

The logical inference is that the case of the quoted biblical passage, it seems:

1. Cause: If I confess my sins (condition met)

then

2. Effect: God forgives my sins and cleanses me from all unrighteousness (task executed)

Isn't it illogical to say that John 1:9 means the opposite? Or should we instead believe that John is mistaken?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So I'm confused. You see, I work for a tech business, and in programming code, the word if denotes a conditional statement. Only if a certain condition is met does the code execute a certain task. If the condition is not met, the task is not carried out by the program.

you are not confused
-they are
-and
-paul agrees when he says
-might be save
-it is conditional
-and
-depends on what you do

Spockrates

Jesus shed blood and resurrection is what saves us for eternity, not confessing every single sin. If that were the case, we would play a part in our own salvation.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Hi, Grosnick. Are you saying that forgiving us our sins is not what saves us for eternity, or is John mistaken? (Trying to wrap my head around what the author is saying.)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So what must I do to be saved?

Jesus said, "But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17)

The commandments Jesus referred to are the principles of the everlasting covenant. (Hebrews 13:20)