Meet Caitlyn Jenner

HisServant

Always the explanation of a deluded person who can't accept reality: "they must be seeking fame, fortune, or attention. It just MUST be the reason, because no other reason is possible."

Instead of the reality that there is a psychological condition called transgenderism: one's internal/mental sense of their own gender does not match the sex/body they were born with, and that transitioning to the gender that matches their mental state has a high rate of success in improving one's life outcomes for those that choose to go through it (95% reported positive life outcomes according to this Swedish study: https://www.skane.se/Upload/Webbplatser/USIL/Dokument/Sjukhusbibliotek/Johansson, Annika.pdf)

Neither you or I have read his psychological diagnosis... we are both merely theorizing.

So to call me deluded just shows that you really don't care about the individual.. all you care about is your agenda.

HisServant

How is it a "huge character flaw"?

Because I don't want someone making decisions for me that in a moment of weakness permanently scared themselves.

My son got a tattoo when he was around 20.... and he expresses regret at having one all the time. He also knows that he lost a lot of respect from me when he got one.

It shows a lack of self discipline, lack of understanding the future and lack of self restraint.... all which are character flaws.

Quetzal

Because I don't want someone making decisions for me that in a moment of weakness permanently scared themselves.

My son got a tattoo when he was around 20.... and he expresses regret at having one all the time. He also knows that he lost a lot of respect from me when he got one.

It shows a lack of self discipline, lack of understanding the future and lack of self restraint.... all which are character flaws.
Absolute nonsense. Your son might have regret but that's on him. If you condemn people for piercings and tattoos, that is the worst kind of prejudice. If you don't like it, that's fine. But to openly suggest it's a mental illness is absolute crap. Although, given your post history, this is not surprising.

HisServant

Absolute nonsense. Your son might have regret but that's on him. If you condemn people for piercings and tattoos, that is the worst kind of prejudice. If you don't like it, that's fine. But to openly suggest it's a mental illness is absolute crap. Although, given your post history, this is not surprising.

According to a report by the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in 1999, tattoos and excessive piercings are a sign of mental illness.

So no, it is not utter crap...

Quetzal

According to a report by the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in 1999, tattoos and excessive piercings are a sign of mental illness.

Ah, so now it is excessive. What is your definition of excessive? Is two tattoos a minor mental illness? But what about 2 piercings in one ear? Gosh, the shame! This isn't about some out dated study, this is about you and your twisted sense of a "golden reality" that doesn't exist. What's worse, is anything that goes against your little vision of how life should be is met with resistance and lazy labels such as a "mental illness". Walk off a cliff, yeah?

Tinark

You have a link to the study?

Tattoos are correlated with mental illnesses (meaning that those who have certain mental illnesses are also more likely to get a tattoo). The act of getting a tattoo itself is _not_ a mental illness, and nothing I have seen suggests otherwise (except perhaps if the tattooing is excessive).

HisServant

Ah, so now it is excessive. What is your definition of excessive? Is two tattoos a minor mental illness? But what about 2 piercings in one ear? Gosh, the shame! This isn't about some out dated study, this is about you and your twisted sense of a "golden reality" that doesn't exist. What's worse, is anything that goes against your little vision of how life should be is met with resistance and lazy labels such as a "mental illness". Walk off a cliff, yeah?

Only excessive piercings were mentioned... any and all tattoos were listed as a symptom of illness.

I would send a link to the site, but you need a user name and password to long in... I'm a member.

Tinark

Only excessive piercings were mentioned... any and all tattoos were listed as a symptom of illness.

I would send a link to the site, but you need a user name and password to long in... I'm a member.

Can you just post the abstract?

Quetzal

So, in other news, people who get tattoos are liberals (big shock), have more sex (another big shock), and if tattoos are applied to minors they are at a higher risk of getting into trouble.

My problem is not with these studies. My problem is you made an affirmative statement, condemning all people with tattoos/piercings. I will agree that those who have them might partake in riskier behavior. That does not make it a mental illness nor does it justify prejudice across the board. It is an out-dated stereotype that is held (typically) by older people (based on my limited experience),

HisServant

So, in other news, people who get tattoos are liberals (big shock), have more sex (another big shock), and if tattoos are applied to minors they are at a higher risk of getting into trouble.

My problem is not with these studies. My problem is you made an affirmative statement, condemning all people with tattoos/piercings. I will agree that those who have them might partake in riskier behavior. That does not make it a mental illness nor does it justify prejudice across the board. It is an out-dated stereotype that is held (typically) by older people (based on my limited experience),

Would you prefer that I use the term personality disorder?.. which those studies use everywhere (which is a type of mental illness).

Anyhow, I am not inclined to hire risk takers (I will access the risks my company/department is going to make.. thank you).

There is nothing bigoted or out of date stereotyping about that... its just plain common sense.

It still amazes me how people think their private decisions and behaviors should have no affect on their career path.

Quetzal

Would you prefer that I use the term personality disorder?.. which those studies use everywhere (which is a type of mental illness).

Anyhow, I am not inclined to hire risk takers (I will access the risks my company/department is going to make.. thank you).

There is nothing bigoted or out of date stereotyping about that... its just plain common sense.

It still amazes me how people think their private decisions and behaviors should have no affect on their career path.
By that logic, I should never hire fat people because they will drain our expense account on donuts. Health insurance is more expensive, too. They are more prone to falls, gotta think of the risks. Common sense after all.

HisServant

By that logic, I should never hire fat people because they will drain our expense account on donuts. Health insurance is more expensive, too. They are more prone to falls, gotta think of the risks. Common sense after all.

And you don't think that comes into play also?...

Quetzal

And you don't think that comes into play also?...
What about black people? Studies show they have a higher chance of stealing company assets, right? Where do you draw the line? Women, too. They can get pregnant and then they need time off, what a drag right? Could cost you money, gotta take that risk into account. You can go on and on and on. Bottom line, it's all stupid. Having a tattoo doesn't make you any less of an individual than does being born with black skin, having a uterus, or having a few extra pounds.

HisServant

What about black people? Studies show they have a higher chance of stealing company assets, right? Where do you draw the line? Women, too. They can get pregnant and then they need time off, what a drag right? Could cost you money, gotta take that risk into account. You can go on and on and on. Bottom line, it's all stupid. Having a tattoo doesn't make you any less of an individual than does being born with black skin, having a uterus, or having a few extra pounds.

Its all in how you sell yourself and your appearance in an interview... I could care less what color your skin is or whether you are a woman... if you look and act professional and are someone that I would feel comfortable representing my firm in front of clients then your chances are greatly enhanced you will get the job.

So no, its not stupid.

Quetzal

Its all in how you sell yourself and your appearance in an interview... I could care less what color your skin is or whether you are a woman... if you look and act professional and are someone that I would feel comfortable representing my firm in front of clients then your chances are greatly enhanced you will get the job.

So no, its not stupid.
And if I represent myself well, get hired, represent your company to your standards and you find out I have a tattoo; would you fire me on principle?