Mass shooting in Orlando, Florida USA 20 dead

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Don't sell yourself short. You're doing a good bit more than that. You're casting aspersions. That takes you from the role of the interested observer and makes you a proponent of a particular bias, mostly rooted in your response to Islam in your backyard.

If you're prepared to call me a liar to me face (after all my words you have quoted are quite clear) and start making this an issue of my motives, then I don't see the point of debating further with you. I already made it clear that in my country Muslims had control of cities. I am not hiding anything. It looks like to me that you don't have any actual arguments to bring.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you're prepared to call me a liar to me face (after all my words you have quoted are quite clear) and start making this an issue of my motives, then I don't see the point of debating further with you.
I wasn't accusing you of being dishonest. I was noting that the quote of yours that preceded my comment, "I'm not an American. I was only making suggestions" gives the appearance of someone who isn't invested/doesn't have an ox to gore and is simply offering counsel.

I took exception to it. So I underscored a distinction. You were doing more than simply observing from the outside. In fact, as you note here, you have a bias in play rooted in your experience within your country, one with different law in relation to the subject:

I already made it clear that in my country Muslims had control of cities.
Exactly.

I am not hiding anything.
Didn't say you were. And my point on your bias was a good bit more sustained (you've just done it) than your "hiding" remark to anna, followed by the "do you love Muslims" nonsense. I think all of that supports my notion that the degree of your bias on the point is distorting an otherwise capable mind. It surprised me, as does this seeming thin skin considering your rebuttal to anna.

It looks like to me that you don't have any actual arguments to bring.
Then you're not looking hard or objectively enough.

And suggesting breaking our laws or bending principle because we've done it before as a nation is a curious advance, as was asking someone who, to my knowledge, wasn't directly or indirectly responsible for those violations why she'd be taking exception now.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I wasn't being idealistic. I was offering practical brainstorming suggestions. If a suggestion is unrealistic, it doesn't make it idealistic. I am not an idealistic person. All my thoughts and actions are rooted and grounded in the real world, not the world of ideas. The constitution itself is an ideal, that is why it cannot be adequate to cope with every real situation. And you don't seem to be actually disagreeing with me that America has many times in the past, and indeed almost seems in the habit of doing very un-American things when it feels like it.

By the way, I have several more brainstorming ideas, but just this one might appeal to some:
Cut off the head of the snake.

Appeals to me.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As to what we "do" about radical Islam. In regard to immigrants, the same thing we do with any, investigate. It's not unreasonable for us to do an even more detailed examination of people entering our nation given the way the world has turned over time, but singling out Muslims or trembling at numbers is irrational. We aren't an island state with a small population and our laws in foundation won't allow for Sharia or any competing notion to find expression within the Republic. Overseas, we put our influence and our muscle where it's needed to aid those fighting off the extremists in Islam. But we don't do any of this at the expense of our guiding principles. As DR rightly noted, we have before...and it never really paid dividends in the long run.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wonder what they believe they will accomplish?
Here's what John Hayden, the fellow who organized it is saying:
"Why am I calling to action the people of Sacramento? The Verity Baptist Church is right here in our own backyard. It disgusts me that this immoral, sacrilegious individual is spewing hatred and ignorance, and is condoning murder to his churchgoers who may not be old enough to see what true religion is instead of the brainwashing he is doing.

I am calling for a peaceful protest for anyone who would like to join me. I won’t stand for this. Not in my own backyard. The church opens at 10:00am. I would like to assemble at 8:30 am — so the members see what they are walking in to. Make signs, we can make a rally cry, I’ll make it up along with anyone who would like to help me organize. I don’t care if I’m the only one out there. But it is my hope that we can [draw] attention to this “pastor” and church, because this is what homegrown terrorism looks like."

Why is John this upset? For those who haven't read more than a cursory, sanitized version, here's some of what the pastor in question had to say:

“People say, like: ‘Well, aren’t you sad that 50 sodomites died? Here’s the problem with that. It’s like the equivalent of asking me — what if you asked me: ​’Hey, are you sad that 50 pedophiles were killed today? Um, no, I think that’s great. I think that helps society. You know, I think Orlando, Florida, is a little safer tonight. The tragedy is — I’m kind of upset that he didn’t finish the job! I wish the government would round them all up, put them up against a firing wall, put a firing squad in front of them, and blow their brains out.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Here's what John Hayden, the fellow who organized it is saying:
"Why am I calling to action the people of Sacramento? The Verity Baptist Church is right here in our own backyard. It disgusts me that this immoral, sacrilegious individual is spewing hatred and ignorance, and is condoning murder to his churchgoers who may not be old enough to see what true religion is instead of the brainwashing he is doing.

I am calling for a peaceful protest for anyone who would like to join me. I won’t stand for this. Not in my own backyard. The church opens at 10:00am. I would like to assemble at 8:30 am — so the members see what they are walking in to. Make signs, we can make a rally cry, I’ll make it up along with anyone who would like to help me organize. I don’t care if I’m the only one out there. But it is my hope that we can [draw] attention to this “pastor” and church, because this is what homegrown terrorism looks like."

Why is John this upset? For those who haven't read more than a cursory, sanitized version, here's some of what the pastor in question had to say:

“People say, like: ‘Well, aren’t you sad that 50 sodomites died? Here’s the problem with that. It’s like the equivalent of asking me — what if you asked me: ​’Hey, are you sad that 50 pedophiles were killed today? Um, no, I think that’s great. I think that helps society. You know, I think Orlando, Florida, is a little safer tonight. The tragedy is — I’m kind of upset that he didn’t finish the job! I wish the government would round them all up, put them up against a firing wall, put a firing squad in front of them, and blow their brains out.

That really doesn't answer my question. What do they believe they will accomplish? (The protestors) Do you believe in freedom of speech and belief?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That really doesn't answer my question. What do they believe they will accomplish? (The protestors) Do you believe in freedom of speech and belief?
I thought it did. He wants to protest the speech of the pastor, peacefully. I suspect he hopes that will make more people aware of the particular nature of the pastor's comments and cause them to consider their own response to them. Sometimes that's all you can do.

If he's free to speak that from a pulpit then they're free to speak in opposition, or simply stand silently in protest. Isn't that how free speech works?

I believe in the right to speak your mind within the limits of the law. I don't think anyone is entitled to enter my home and begin a political speech I didn't invite, by way of (though I can't keep the Republicans or Democrats from trying, over the phone). Or, no right is without limitations that come with competing rights and interests and possessions.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I wonder what they believe they will accomplish?

No more than this head-in-the-cloud organisation. All the protesters can achieve is to voice their opinions. They would probably do that more successfully on Facebook. Unless of course they are looking for something more from their encounter. By the way, I in no way support what the first pastor said. As far as I am concerned, the peope killed were minding their own business, as was their right.

jeffblue101

America is hopelessly divided take a look at this FOX news poll done by Gallop
ClPMI2TUgAA4m_N.jpg

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
[h=2]Was Jesus Racist?[/h]Jesus told his disciples to not go to Gentiles, and he called Canaanites dogs. Learn one reason why Jesus' earthly ministry is not the pattern of ministry for the church today.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
So you Libertarians actually believe that a homosexual of Middle Eastern descent murdered 49 other homosexuals and injured 50+ more in Orlando FL because of US intervention in the Middle East?

Obama withdrew. Remember? Since our intervention was the alleged cause of conflict. But of course, this is not the case. Barrack Hussein Obama, and Mrs Bill Clinton's policies led directly to San Bernadino, Orlando, and Benghazi. As well as the creation of the self titled Islamic States.

The Orlando massacre was done by a self loathing bisexual, not an Islamic extremist.

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...ized!-Part-4&p=4734444&viewfull=1#post4734444

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...ized!-Part-4&p=4735031&viewfull=1#post4735031

Omar Mateen may not have understood the difference between ISIS, al-Qaeda and Hezbollah

...To be clear, these groups named by Mateen are not allies. The Islamic State and al-Qaeda both derive their theology from an extreme view of Sunni Islamism, but in practical terms the pair split in 2014, with the more established al-Qaeda publicly disavowing the actions of the more extreme Islamic State. Jabhat al-Nusra, al-Qaeda's affiliate in Syria, often fights the Islamic State in the Syrian conflict. Meanwhile, Hezbollah is a Shiite Islamist group. In Syria, it supports the government of Bashar al-Assad, effectively meaning it fights both the Islamic State and al-Qaeda.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fference-between-isis-al-qaeda-and-hezbollah/

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Was Jesus Racist?

Of course not. Racism is just another form of ignorance.

Jesus told his disciples to not go to Gentiles,

He called Paul on the road to Damascus and sent him to the Gentile.

and he called Canaanites dogs.
Yes and no. He was using the division to illustrate something and it wasn't contempt. Do I need to pull a Paul Harvey?

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
More strawmen. And since you didn't attempt to refute how Massoud was against the Taliban and that is who we helped.

You cry strawman every time you don't have a decent rebuttal. You know damn well we were interfering in Afghanistan decades ago, and you want to pin it all on Obama.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I thought it did. He wants to protest the speech of the pastor, peacefully. I suspect he hopes that will make more people aware of the particular nature of the pastor's comments and cause them to consider their own response to them. Sometimes that's all you can do.

If he's free to speak that from a pulpit then they're free to speak in opposition, or simply stand silently in protest. Isn't that how free speech works?

I believe in the right to speak your mind within the limits of the law. I don't think anyone is entitled to enter my home and begin a political speech I didn't invite, by way of (though I can't keep the Republicans or Democrats from trying, over the phone). Or, no right is without limitations that come with competing rights and interests and possessions.

:up:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
By the way, this isn't even close to the largest mass murder ever, or even recent US history. The jihadist was outdone by jihadists on 9-11.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I wasn't accusing you of being dishonest. I was noting that the quote of yours that preceded my comment, "I'm not an American. I was only making suggestions" gives the appearance of someone who isn't invested/doesn't have an ox to gore and is simply offering counsel.

I took exception to it. So I underscored a distinction. You were doing more than simply observing from the outside. In fact, as you note here, you have a bias in play rooted in your experience within your country, one with different law in relation to the subject:
It is quite simple. Making ad hominem remarks and personal judgements in a debate is unreasonable. However, it is common amongst judgemental people.
"gives the appearance" is a judgement on your part
"You were doing more than simply observing from the outside" is the same. Just because I point out a fact doesn't mean I have a bias. Judgementalism owns you.
All you had to do was say 'sorry, didn't mean it like that' get back to the debate, and we would have been fine. See ya.