Limited Atonement Means Limited Faith

Robert Pate

Banned
That is all it is but a ungodly theory! Pate is teaching that sins charged or imputed to Christ already, can be again imputed back to the sinners Christ died for when they were imputed to Him! It's a lie and makes God unjust!

It will all be made clear to you in the judgment.

beloved57

Where is you refutation on limited atonement?

All you do is make false accusation and try to tell me what I believe.

You don't contribute much to this Forum.

You can read my Threads and posts on Limited Atonement, I have a couple of hundred of them here! TULIP is the Gospel!

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Robert Pate

Banned
See starting at page 2, Durham's treatment of the topic:

http://thebluebanner.com/pdf/bluebanner12-2.pdf

I fear explanations of things explained. :AMR:

Will you read it and provide your substantive refutation of the author's position?

AMR

That's quite a smoke screen there.

I did not see a heading concerning "A limited atonement"

And I not about to wade through a 50,000 word essay to try and figure out what he may or may not be saying concerning one.

Why don't you in your own words tell us what he is saying?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's quite a smoke screen there.

I did not see a heading concerning "A limited atonement"

And I not about to wade through a 50,000 word essay to try and figure out what he may or may not be saying concerning one.

Why don't you in your own words tell us what he is saying?

Well of course you will not take the time to understand the actual position of those that you cavil against. Yet you regularly ask for refutation, but when so presented you retreat into these sort of intellectually lazy excuses.

The item linked in my post comprises around 24,500 words. An average reader can read about 200-250 words per minute. Assuming you are an average reader, if around two hours of your time is not available to understanding more about our Lord's atonement, perhaps you should spend less time seeking attention by posting redundant content over and over and spend some time to "take up and read" (tolle lege).

If we grant that the atonement is a substitutionary one, then all of the texts that teach substitution affirm my view. If Christ has truly borne the sins of all men in penal substitution, there is nothing left for divine justice to punish.

If the atonement is not efficacious apart from faith, then faith must be necessary for the satisfaction of divine justice. Here faith becomes a work with a vengeance because its presence or absence in a sinner determines the efficacy of Christ’s work of satisfaction for this person.

Thus it is one thing to agree that faith is a necessary condition to appropriate the benefits of Christ’s atoning work. It is quite another to say that faith is a necessary condition for the satisfaction of divine justice. If faith is a condition for God’s justice to be satisfied, then the atonement, in itself, is not sufficient to satisfy the demands of God’s justice. In itself, the atonement is not sufficient for anyone, let alone for all. Full satisfaction is not rendered until or unless a person adds to the atonement his faith.

Arminians, open theists, Romanists, Methodists and others will protest that they do not, in fact, make faith a work of satisfaction. Faith is a necessary condition, they say, not a work of satisfaction. But the question remains, is divine satisfaction effected without faith? If so, then no satisfaction is left to be imposed on unrepentant sinners. If not, then faith is clearly an element necessary for satisfaction, an element that we supply.

One simply cannot have it both ways. Either Christ’s death was a sufficient sacrifice to atone for the sins of the elect and satisfy God’s justice on their behalf, or it was not. If it was, then the only possible conclusion is that Christ died only for the elect. If not, then Christ’s death saved no one; it was simply a potential atonement to which a work of faith must be added.

AMR

StanJ

You can read my Threads and posts on Limited Atonement, I have a couple of hundred of them here! TULIP is the Gospel!

You're assuming your threads and posts are accurate and truth, which is both cases you would be WRONG, plus you refuse to defend them, which means you acquiesce to all refutation about them.
The blind leading the blind has no credulity whatsoever B57.

StanJ

If you are going to use words like "equivocator", it would help if you know what it means. I had just told you in the previous post that I was responding to Robert Pate, no one else! and he knew EXACTLY what I was talking about. He was not unclear or uncertain what I was talking about in any way.
Therefore, no "equivocation" whatsoever.
BTW, I had started a thread on June 13 that deals with his imputation theory (The Imputation of Sins in the Judgment), trying to understand it myself, and I never got a "clear" answer from him.

That would be assumption on your part, NOT born out by the thread itself after you made that post. Also you and he are NOT an island unto yourself. It is a public forum and as such you should be prepared to support your conclusions with proper exegesis, which you also don't.
There's plenty of equivocation, although never acknowledged by those that do so.
Now if you don't understand it then why use the vernacular to try and make a point?

StanJ

Well of course you will not take the time to understand the actual position of those that you cavil against. Yet you regularly ask for refutation, but when so presented you retreat into these sort of intellectually lazy excuses.

The item linked in my post comprises around 24,500 words. An average reader can read about 200-250 words per minute. Assuming you are an average reader, if around two hours of your time is not available to understanding more about our Lord's atonement, perhaps you should spend less time seeking attention by posting redundant content over and over and spend some time to "take up and read" (tolle lege).

If we grant that the atonement is a substitutionary one, then all of the texts that teach substitution affirm my view. If Christ has truly borne the sins of all men in penal substitution, there is nothing left for divine justice to punish.

If the atonement is not efficacious apart from faith, then faith must be necessary for the satisfaction of divine justice. Here faith becomes a work with a vengeance because its presence or absence in a sinner determines the efficacy of Christ’s work of satisfaction for this person.

Thus it is one thing to agree that faith is a necessary condition to appropriate the benefits of Christ’s atoning work. It is quite another to say that faith is a necessary condition for the satisfaction of divine justice. If faith is a condition for God’s justice to be satisfied, then the atonement, in itself, is not sufficient to satisfy the demands of God’s justice. In itself, the atonement is not sufficient for anyone, let alone for all. Full satisfaction is not rendered until or unless a person adds to the atonement his faith.

Arminians, open theists, Romanists, Methodists and others will protest that they do not, in fact, make faith a work of satisfaction. Faith is a necessary condition, they say, not a work of satisfaction. But the question remains, is divine satisfaction effected without faith? If so, then no satisfaction is left to be imposed on unrepentant sinners. If not, then faith is clearly an element necessary for satisfaction, an element that we supply.

One simply cannot have it both ways. Either Christ’s death was a sufficient sacrifice to atone for the sins of the elect and satisfy God’s justice on their behalf, or it was not. If it was, then the only possible conclusion is that Christ died only for the elect. If not, then Christ’s death saved no one; it was simply a potential atonement to which a work of faith must be added.

AMR

Forum debate is about what we know AMR, not about being taught or confronted with onerous teachings. The fact is this forum has a policy of long onerous posts being an infraction, as I have had one because of it and ONLY that despite what IMO are more egregious occurrences.

The necessary condition for salvation, is God drawing us TO Jesus and our acceptance or rejection of Him. We are ALL in the same boat in that regard but we do not all respond in the same manner as Luke 8 clearly teaches.

Christ's sacrifice and death WAS totally efficacious for sin. IT paid the price.
We only need accept it and Him to avail ourselves of the redemption Jesus paid. His atonement was/is NOT limited to men, as the Bible clearly teaches. Rom 10:9-11 (NIV)

Robert Pate

Banned

AMR

That is really confusing.

It is not all that complicated. It is you religious folk that make it complicated.

Jesus Christ is God's new Adam and our new humanity. All that the law demands was fulfilled in Jesus Christ. God demanded a perfect sacrifice for man's sin. Jesus Christ met that demand by offering himself as a sacrifice for the sins of humanity.

This is how Jesus has reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. God sees ALL THINGS in his Son Jesus Christ. As far as God is concerned sin, death and the devil have been destroyed, Romans 6:6.

It is because God sees ALL THINGS in his Son Jesus Christ that God is now at peace with the world, Colossians 1:20. This is the age of grace and faith. Now... "Whosoever that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. Not by works. not by religion, but by simple child like faith all, anyone, everyone can be saved.

beloved57

That is really confusing.

It is not all that complicated. It is you religious folk that make it complicated.

Jesus Christ is God's new Adam and our new humanity. All that the law demands was fulfilled in Jesus Christ. God demanded a perfect sacrifice for man's sin. Jesus Christ met that demand by offering himself as a sacrifice for the sins of humanity.

This is how Jesus has reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. God sees ALL THINGS in his Son Jesus Christ. As far as God is concerned sin, death and the devil have been destroyed, Romans 6:6.

It is because God sees ALL THINGS in his Son Jesus Christ that God is now at peace with the world, Colossians 1:20. This is the age of grace and faith. Now... "Whosoever that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. Not by works. not by religion, but by simple child like faith all, anyone, everyone can be saved.

You dont believe the Gospel, you post against it everyday, its found in TULIP !

StanJ

Because it was the terminology that ROBERT PATE, the one who originated it, would understand. Is that really so hard to understand?

Not for me because I confronted you with it, but apparently you didn't understand it and still don't, so I ask again, Why use something you don't understand, and BTW you weren't replying to him, you seemed to be replying to a post, #57, that B57 had just made, so in essence you were ganging up on RP, not reasoning to Him in his vernacular. You are spending an awful lot of effort denying instead of clarifying the issue, which to me clearly indicates you have no idea what Robert has been saying, IF indeed that is the real issue?