Justification of Eternal Punishment

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Addressed here :)

I'd put a lot more thought into assuming LOVE is capable of condemning its creation to eternal torment and endless suffering, and keep them in that state for all eternity. Nothing could be more cruel and senseless.

Gen 6:5-7
Gen 19:24-25

God ain't all fluffy bunnies

M

Man.0

tous aionas ton aionon (for ever and ever, Rev 20:10, NIV) also appears in Rev 1:6 "and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever (tous aionas ton aionon)! Amen." Are you really going to deny that "for ever and ever" means all eternity here? Will the glory and power of Christ cease? Jesus says in Rev 1:18 "I am alive tous aionas ton aionon [for ever and ever]." Does Young's Translation have that Jesus will live only for a limited age? I don't think its the intention of the translator to suggest such a thing. Clearly, tous aionas ton aionon, no matter how modern translators choose to render it, definitely means for all eternity. This is how John is using this term throughout Revelation.

Rev 4:9 "to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever [tous aionas ton aionon]," Rev 11:15 says that God and Christ will reign tous aionas ton aionon - how long is that? Its only out of your bias that you change the interpretation of what tous aionas ton aionon means when its applied to eternal torment.

Consider the following:

"There is no doubt that God has always existed, but the statement at Romans 16:26 speaks of Him as an eonian God. The Scriptures say He made the eons, so He existed before they were made, and He will exist after the eons have been concluded (1 Cor. 10:11; Heb. 9:26). He is endless. To argue that "eonian God" makes the "eonian" unlimited time because God is unlimited is illogical. Isaiah 54:5, KJV, calls Him "the God of the whole earth." This does not preclude Him from also being the God of the entire universe. In the context of Romans 16:26, He is called the "eonian God," but He was God before the eons were made; He is God during all the eons, and in post-eonian times. In other words, just because the Scriptures refer to Him as the "God of the ages" does not preclude Him from being the God of eternity. The Scriptures declare Him the "God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob," and "the God of Israel." Does that mean He cannot therefore be the God of the gentiles, of the whole universe? Of course not! ...."

And:

"...If the Greek words eis tous aionas ton aionon mean endless time, as translated in the KJV, "forever and ever," we have a contradiction in Scripture, for Rev. 11:15 says, in the same version: "The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord and His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever." That contradicts 1 Cor. 15:25, which says: "He must be reigning till..." If Rev. 11:15 is translated "eons of the eons," or "ages of the ages," there is no contradiction. The ASV says (1 Cor. 15:24-25), "Then cometh the end, when He shall deliver up the kingdom to God., even the Father; When He shall have abolished all rule and all authority and power. For He must reign till He hath put all His enemies under His feet;" consequently, the reigning of Christ Jesus and the saints (Rev. 22:5) will be "for the eons of the eons" or "for the ages of the ages" (see the ASV margin here)."

And especially this:

"Eis tous aionas is accusative plural, "for the eons," or "for the ages," and these words are not "forever and ever," which are in the singular. The word ton is the genitive plural article, and in our syntax should be translated "of the." In this Greek clause, there is no word that means "and," as the Greek conjunction kai; "and," is not in this clause. The word aionon is the genitive plural of the noun aion, and the genitive plural in this syntax should be translated "eons," or "ages;" hence ton aionon, "of the eons." Anyone can study these words and see that "forever and ever" is not a good translation of these Greek words. As eis is used in this clause and as eis involves a movement or development toward a goal, this clause cannot mean endlessness. :"

Also:

Luke 1:50 says, kai to eleos autou eis geneas kai geneas tois phoboumenois auton, "and His mercy is for generations and generations, for those who are fearing Him." In the phrase, "for generations and generations," there is an example of two plural nouns being used with the conjunction kai, "and;" but in the expression aionas ton aionon, there is no conjunction. The word ton, "of the," is the genitive plural article, and should not be translated "and," as is done in the KJV's "forever and ever."

All taken from: http://www.tentmaker.org/books/asw/Chapter5.html ; if you wish to read the entire article.

Originally posted by Man.0

Let me ask you a question: If someone had comitted an offense against you, would you torment that person for zillions of years, without end? And not just without end, but in the most sadistic of ways - roasting and burning alive? Would you do that?

So, what would I do if someone hurt me? Its a big mistake to use what you would personally do or not do as a means of judging God. You are in no position to question the justice of God, for the way He thinks is not the way you and I think.

This question that I asked required only a 'yes' or 'no' answer. You still haven't answered it. I was trying to get you to understand that if you (as evil as you are - Matthew 7:11 ) wouldn't do something as wicked as to incessantly burn people alive; then what should make you think that a purely loving God would do something so wicked? Do you not see that the idea of hell is wicked? Do you not see that it totally misrepresents the character of a loving God? Do you even know what the love of God looks like? If God thought it detestable and wicked when the Israelites offered sacrifices to Baal by burning their own children in fire (Jeremiah 7:31; Jeremiah 19:5), how much more destestable to Him is the idea of Him burning His own creation, perpetually, in infinite flames of fire?

You mention God's killing of 'innocent' children. Quite right, He did, and that was His wrath. But point me to a place in the bible where His wrathful punishment is even remotely similar to hell? Surely, if this is God's favoured form of punishment, we would have seen many instances in the bible, where hell-like punishment was delivered.

One can imagine that the closest thing to experiencing the concept of hell, in this life, is being put on fire; but where, in the Scriptures, has God ever had people burnt alive? God commanded the Israelities to stone someone if he or she committed a certain sin; but not once (as far as i'm aware) has God ever prescribed burning as a punishment.

On a side note, you say that children are innocent. Are they really as innocent as you think? Haven't all sinned and fell short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23) ?

'To illustrate, I suppose neither you nor I would kill and innocent baby, '

Do you realise that murdering is infact what we have done? We are murderers. Do you deny that? Hating without a just, righteous cause is the equivalent of murder. Have you ever had such hate towards a person? Well then, you're a murderer.

“Everyone hating his brother is a murderer. And you know that no murderer has everlasting life abiding in him” (1 John 3:15)

So while you say 'I suppose neither you nor I would kill and innocent baby' we have, in essence, committed that very act. Murder is not just by physical act (a deed). A person can also committ murder by word and thought. Jesus said that 'everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.' (Matthew 5:27-28). The same principle applies to murder. Have you heard that popular phrase: "It's the thought that counts"? Well, it does indeed.

Now, can God's killing (not murder) of children ( which was a purely righteous and just judgment/punishment) be compared, or equated with torturing souls in a fiery realm, where there is nothing but flames to burn them, endlessly, without ceasing? God's justice is remedial - it has an end and a corrective purpose. Tell me, what is the corrective purpose of unceasing, hellish punishment?

'or punish a baby for the sins of its parents, right? Yet, that's exactly what God did when he sent the flood in Noah's day which killed all the infants, its exactly what He did when he ordered the Israelites to kill man woman and child

Aren't you saying that you would choose to disobey God and not 'kill man woman and child'?

'Even women and children God wanted them to kill.

Key word: Kill. Not murder. Would you ever kill? Or are you so 'righteous' that you would never do such a 'horrible' thing?

'Would you give that order? Would you take a sword and drive it through a infant in the cradle? 2 Sam 12:15, 18 says the Lord struck David's newborn baby will illness, and it died. I would not have done that, would you? But we can't use this as a basis for assuming what God would or would not do. We have to let Scripture speak for itself.

What you've been basically telling me, is that you would not kill. But I think you're mixing up righteous killing with murder. You're viewing the acts of God as being wicked. That's why for the examples you provide (such as the Israelites killing the Amalekites) you question me, asking if I would do such a thing - as if following Divine directives is wicked. But tell me, would you not kill someone if you had been commanded to do so by God, even as Abraham was prepared to do? Would you not punish an infant if God had commanded it? If you had the ability to do so, would you not inflict someone with an illness, if that infliction was part of that person's punishment - and you had been Divinely commanded to inflict them?

Had God given the command to do all the things you mention, it would have been perfectly fine to do them - and infact, it would be sin if you didn't.

People who go to hell don't become righteous, they continue to sin as they reject God in their hearts, so their sin will be eternal, so is the punishment.

Any Scriptural verses that support the idea that 'they continue to sin as they reject God in their hearts'? Or are you just making that up? It's the latter...isn't it?

Further, just as God loves eternally deep, he hates sin eternally deep as well.

Again, what Scriptures support the idea that 'he hates sin eternally deep' ?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Let us be intellectually honest and spiritually awake here.....

Let us be intellectually honest and spiritually awake here.....

Dear freelight,

God is love also, but some kids won't learn and need a paddling. That's just how it goes. Their mindset delivers them into getting a punishment. God is very fair with who He sends there, but rejecting Christ is one wrong way to go. That's His Son! If the punishment weren't so severe, it is possible that more people would end up going there. That's why and now you know. And yes, the Lord says 'forever.' So make some changes now, if you're going to. There would be no better time.

:cry: :rain: :party: :angel: :angel: :angel: :cloud9:

Hi Michael,.....yes...but if you study the orginal word 'aion' and its adjectival derivatives in the teaching material I've so far shared (education is key)....you'd see that these words have been mistranslated into the English words 'eternal/everlasting'...or "forever and ever"...when 'aion' refers to an 'age' (indefinite period of time of limited duration) or 'life-span', and does not in and of itself mean or indicate 'eternal' or 'unending'. Again, folks need to educate themselves here on the language issues first, THEN see how 'eternal punishment' further violates conscience, logic, common sense, morality, justice and mercy. They owe it themselves and 'God'....if they would have a real knowledge and respect given. Holding to insane beliefs or misrepresentations of 'God' is a serious matter.

ALSO important to note, that you correctly observe the above highlighted in yellow....for a loving Heavenly Father chastises/disciplines his children because he loves them. This 'chastisment' is CORRECTIVE,...it is meant to reform and rehabilitate the ones being chastised, and it is only for a season, it is of limited duration, since such 'punishment' (if you want to use that word) is serving its purpose to return the sinner back to right-relationship with God. Beyond just the karmic law of 'action/consequence'....the personal love of Our Father is ever intending towards our restoration and fulfillment of existence, tending towards our wholeness, happiness, peace and joy!

How anyone could think that our Father-God would eternally PUNISH, and condemn a soul to an eternity of torment TO NO END (see here,..."to no end" also means its pointless, its not accomplishing anything, its futile, its insane!) is beyond belief. Only a sadistic, unjust, unloving, unmerciful Tyrant would ALLOW for such a legal-system,...not even our own earthly government sentences a criminal to be endlessly tortured in his cell by some kind of means that he can be 'consciously suffering to no end. Remember,....the divine will and love WILLS that all be saved, that all fulfill their purpose for being. Keep that in mind.

In any case,...the evidence I provided if anyone cares to properly inform themselves on what 'aion' means, and its other forms...should put this to rest, while one's own conscience, logic, reason and spiritual discernment respecting God's nature and character are duly considered, to show that this sick belief in 'eternal punishment' is contrary to any divine logic, let alone sanity.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Chapter? Verse? Didn't Think So.

Shut Up, because you don't know what the Bible says. End of Story.

Alright, you told him to leave you alone, now just ignore him! He is trolling you and will not stop as long as you play his game. If you do play along, then you are not serious and also playing around.

How do you wish to be perceived?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
this goes way beyond bunnies..............

this goes way beyond bunnies..............

God ain't all fluffy bunnies

I never claimed he was, but am respecting that God is Love,...and he is wholly just and merciful. His mercy endures forever. He's not an eternal tormentor or an insane, unjust dictator. Now to address the verses below -

Gen 6:5-7

Well, I noticed the bible promt default is to the NKJV...so kudos there, since its one of my fave 'translations' ;)

This verse however I find somewhat 'iffy', since it shows 'God' in a less than perfect light, that he made man, and then became 'saddened' that he used his free will to do evil :rolleyes:.......like surprise! So much for pre-adventure or foresight from an omniscient 'God'. Also brewing up natural disasters to wipe out man, is reminscient of older and current mythologies of the time so nothing really new there,...but putting up a rainbow as a 'sign-covenant' is a nice touch.

Rather odd here too is that animals/birds, etc...get lumped into the 'destruction' order....I guess just for existing alongside man? :idunno: With their limited conscience, how much 'sin' could they be indebted to suffer for? This 'god' is really quite the 'annihilationist',...and you guys thought we exploring the 'conditional immortality' view were tough cookies.

Gen 19:24-25

Fire and brimstone eh,.....or perhaps a meteor shower or fallen comet over the area? ;) - perhaps a raging fire caused by a lightening bolt or human, or really something sent from heaven or by angels? Who knows. Has 'God' any time since this recorded story rained down fire and brimstone on any of the wicked cities existing from then on, and to our current day? :think: - is this the kind of wrath-prone capricious god you desire to emulate? Even when some of Jesus disciples wanted to call down fire upon some folks....Jesus had to STOP them and ask them what kind of spirit they were operating from. In our consideration of 'eternal punishment',...we might ask ourselves what 'spirit' is motivating us to believe a 'god' would condemn souls to an eternity of endless suffering and misery TO NO END. 'God' happens to be more resourceful and responsible to allow for such, in the economy of his divine goodness and eternal providence.

Love does no harm.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Alright, you told him to leave you alone, now just ignore him! He is trolling you and will not stop as long as you play his game. If you do play along, then you are not serious and also playing around.

How do you wish to be perceived?

kat - he's played this game before in his "ECT" thread that went on six times as long.

he asks for scripture

when given scripture he mocks it and the person who gave it

:think: he's kinda like squeaky

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
text technician.......

text technician.......

good job !!! you've been here nearly 13 years and you found the Bible quote (prompt) default status !!!! now you can make more Bible quotes !!!!

Now now there,....I've known biblical quotes have had a live-link feature here within the board interface,...but this time it was a different resource-page and bible-version (so it seemed), hence my particular 'note' of this changed format. I don't know if biblical quote links connect with random bible-text sites or not, but that could be the case. While I mostly freelance and do share many resource links and extra-biblical quotes, I do quote the Bible too when necessary (although not as often as you'd like)...for I was once a 'stickler' for the word too in my born-again Christian days ;) :poly: - a diligent student.

The default bible text site is now Biblia.com....I think it was something different last time...perhaps Biblegateway?

Daley

That is not what the verse says. But I think you already know that is not what the verse says. Re-read Psalm 37:10

Ps 37:6-11 is simply saying the wicked will be no more IN THE LAND. Read the context and see its limited to situations on the earth:

"Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret—it leads only to evil.
For those who are evil will be destroyed,
but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
A little while, and the wicked will be no more [where? in the land];
though you look for them [where will we look for them? in heaven? hell? no, the context tells us, in the land], they will not be found [where?].
But the meek will inherit the land
and enjoy peace and prosperity."

The fact that the wicked will no longer exist ON EARTH, or IN THE LAND, does not show they will not exit in hell, which is the place for lost departed souls.

Actually, Psalm 37:10 which says "The wicked will be destroyed" completely AGREES with Matthew 10:28 which goes on to say "But rather fear the one who is able to destroy both body and soul in Gehenna".

Jesus said that the Body and Soul of the wicked would be destroyed.

Wrong, Psalm 37:19 does not say the wicked will be destroyed. The word "destroyed" is not in Psalm 37:10. It was talking about THE LAND and saying that the wicked with be NO MORE, that is, NO MORE IN THE LAND. We will look for them there (in the land) but will not find them. Obviously, if I look for my cat in the house but don't find him, it doesn't mean he no longer exists, it only means he may be somewhere else.

Matt 10:28 does NOT say that God WOULD destroy the body and soul of the wicked in hell. It only says that he CAN, not that he does. Matt 3:9 says "out of these stones God CAN raise up children for Abraham," that doesn't mean that God DID raise up children for Abraham from those stones, does it? So CAN does not mean DOES or WOULD. Matt 19:26 teaches that God CAN do all things, but that doesn't mean that he does.

This parable is not talking about the final state of the wicked. Notice that the rich man's brothers are still alive at the time of parable. This can't be talking about what happens at the final judgment. The verse also fails as proof of eternal torment because it doesn't say that the torment is eternal.

Luke 16:19-31
Why The Rich Man and Lazarus must be a Real Life Account.

(1) Names are NEVER mentioned in the parables of Jesus. Jesus mentions two very real persons, Abraham and Lazarus.

(2) Even if it were a parable, parables of Jesus were ALWAYS true-to-life. He did not go around telling fantasy stories like Alice in Wonderland or Santa Clause. His illustrations were ALWAYS based on real life events that could, and did, use to happen. (He ALWAYS illustrated his teachings with things his disciples were familiar with). Why shock then with such an outlandish fairy tale? Just take the Good Samaritan: there really was a road from Jerusalem to Jericho, it really was frequented by robbers, in fact, historians say the Romans built a garrison along that road to protect travelers, even the denarius was a real currency. Samaritans were real and so were Jews and Levites. All the components of the account are based on things that are real. In the rich man and Lazarus account, we know Abraham was a real person, and Lazarus was a common name at that time (we even have another Lazarus in John 11). Angels are real, there really were rich men who actually did feast sumptuously, and beggars were indeed real, and so are dogs. So I have to conclude that there really was a place of torment after death, just as there is a place of comfort where Abraham and Lazarus were.

(3) Jesus said “I am the truth.” He was the embodiment of truth itself. One could not immagine Jesus borrowing from pagan false religious beliefs to coin his parables. Jesus Christ would never illustrated the truth using a lie. For example, could you imagine Jesus using the Egyptian legend of Set killing his brother Osiris, and the god Isis reviving him with her magic spell, to illustrate his resurrection? Of course not! Jesus NEVER BORROWED PAGAN DOCTRINE as a basis for illustrating his truth. If hellfire is a pagan false doctrine (it was taught by Egyptians and Babylonians), why would Jesus use it, unless it were actually true?

(4) Jesus never explained what the rich man and Lazarus account meant, which he surely would have done for this outlandish, difficult narrative, that was unlike anything the Jews knew of (if they didn’t believe in hell or a soul that can leave the body). The fact that Jesus didn’t explain its meaning as he did other parables, indicates that it was somehting his disciples were familiar with and would understand. It therefore must have coincided with reality; otherwise, they would want an explanation of what the heck he was talking about.

(5) Over and over the Bible is specific to say when Jesus was giving an illustration (Matt 13). It does not do so in Luke 16. The rich man and Lazarus account IS NEVER CALLED A PARABLE OR ILLUSTRATION in the Bible. So when you call it a parable, that's just your opinion, but the Bible NEVER calls this a parable.

(6) In the illustration, Abraham talks about the state of conscious joy and torment after death. Jesus would never coin an illustration which depicts Abraham as teaching false doctrine.

(7) At Hebrews 9:9 the earthly tabernacle and its service was called a figure or illustration. Yet, it was a real account. At Gal 4:24 the story of Abraham, his two wives and two sons is called an allegory (KJV); yet it did happen. In fact, the Greek word for allegory here is paraboli, the Greek word for parable. This illustrates that Biblical illustrations or parables were based on fact, on truth. They were not fables, which attribute to things in nature characteristics they do not have. In fact, the Bible repudiates the idea of fables in the Gospel story. 2 Pet 1:16

So yes, there is a hell where people are tormented consciously, just as there is a heaven.

“Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.” 2 Cor 5:6-8

(1) absence from the physical body means to be present with the Lord. Now if you cease to exist when your body dies, you will not be present with him when your body dies, will you?

(2) If you have to wait until the resurrection of your phisical body to be present with him, this contradicts the statement that you must be “absent from the body” to enjoy such presence. Certainly, this was not discussing the resurrection.

(3) Paul says that he RATHER (PREFERS) to be absent from the body so he can be with the Lord; would a sane person prefer non-existence over conscious communion with the Lord and with his brothers on earth? This preference only makes sense if there is consciousness after death.

Having established this soul-body dualism, where do the souls of the wicked go at death?

I believe that the beast represents false government and the false prophet represents false religion. But it doesn't really matter WHO they are, since they are not "every person who ever lived", and so their fate is not necessarily the same as everyone else's.

It does matter who they represent because I don't need to show that every wicked person goes to burn in the lake of fire forever to prove that it exists. If I only show that one single person goes there to suffer for eternity, that proves there is such a place. Now, as for false religion, there are close to 2 billion Muslims on earth, and millions of Hindus, let alone other cults like the New Ages Movement, Jehovah's Witnesses, Satanists, etc. False religion alone will place lots of people in that lake of fire where THEY will be tormented day and night forever and ever. That answers your objection without even including false government.

That's not the "rest of the wicked", that is just those who worship the beast or receive the mark. The passage also does not say even that they will be tormented forever. It says that the smoke will rise forever.

Actually, the smoke can't ascend forever unless the fire is burning forever, and there is no need for the fire to burn forever if there is nothing left to burn. Further, it also says THEY HAVE NO REST DAY OR NIGHT, immediately following the part about the smoke ascending forever. That shows eternal torment easily:

"They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” (Rev 14:10-11)

Why is it that you think that going into fire will not destroy those who are sent into the fire?

That question shows you are trying to make assumptions about what the fire would do with your limited, imperfect rationality, but the God we serve is supernatural an beyond the confines of human reasoning. I could ask you why didn't the fire destroy the bush that Moses say in Exodus 3:1-3? Since you claim fire must always destroy the object on fire, why didn't it destroy that bush? God is able to do all things, and if he says the wicked will burn forever, they will, and if Scripture says they will be in conscious torment forever, they will, just as God could make that bush burn forever and not be consumed if he wanted to.

Particularly knowing that Jesus specifically said in Matthew 10:28 that they WOULD be destroyed?

Show me where you see the word WOULD in Matthew 10:28.

Just because eternal life is eternal, that does not mean that those who are destroyed will ALSO receive eternal life. They will be destroyed. Their destruction will last forever. They do not need to be alive forever in order to be dead forever.

A person who DOES NOT EXIST cannot be punished. So to experience eternal punishment they have to be in existence, ok. How can you punish someone who doesn't exist?

NO. It doesn't. I asked you to provide a verse from the Bible that said "the wicked will go to hell when they die where they will experience torment forever". You failed to do that. Instead you threw up the same prooftexts that are always used, which simply do not say that the wicked will go to hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever. You also failed to address any of the multitude of scripture passages that specifically state that the wicked will perish, they will be destroyed, and they will be no more.

I have addressed them, and will do so again.

Do you really want clear Bible truth? Read John 3:16 and tell me what it says. This is clear Bible truth, but if you aren't up for it I understand. Read Roamsn 6:23 and tell me what it says. This is clear Bible truth, but if you aren't up for it I understand. Read Isaiah 33:1, Psalm 37:10, 37:20, and 37:38 and tell me what they say. This is clear Bible truth, but if you aren't up for it I understand.

John 3:16
This verse translates the Greek word "apollumi" as "perish." Apollumi does not mean to cease to exist. The meaning of this word and those related to it does not refer to "destruction" in the modern sense that that word is used for the annihilation of something. Rather, it is closer in meaning to the way we use "destroyed" to mean ruined or lost, as in, "He destroyed his family with his drug habit." For example, look at its use in the following verses and see that the object being apollumi was not put out of existence:

Mt. 10:6 Go rather to the lost [apollumi] sheep of Israel.
Mt. 26:8 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste [apollumi]?" they asked.
Luke 15:24, "For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost [apollumi] and is found."
Luke 19:10 "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost [apollumi]."

In all of these cases, the objects that perished, or were destroyed (apollumi) still existed. "apollumi...to perish...The idea is not extinction but ruin, loss, not of being, but of wellbeing. This is clear from its use, e.g., of the marring of wine skins, Luke 5:37; of lost sheep, i.e., lost to the shepherd, metaphorical of spiritual destruction, Luke 15:4, 6, etc.; the lost son, 15:24; of the perishing of food, John 6:27; of gold, 1 Pet 1:7." (W.E. Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, p. 164)

So there is nothing in John 3:16 which shows the wicked will cease to exist.

Isa 33:1
This pagan king is accused in this same verse of destroying others. Now, surely he was only destroying their bodies, right? But not their souls, for Jesus promised he could not destroy that in Matt 10:28. So the word destroy here is only referring to putting the physical body to death. That would not show the soul does not continue to live in hell, or some other place in the spirit world.

Psalm 37:10, 37:20, and 37:38
As I have already mentioned on Psalm 37, the contrast in this chapter is not between those who will exist and those who will not, but those who will get to live IN THE LAND and those who will not:

"The wicked borrow and do not repay,
but the righteous give generously;
those the Lord blesses will inherit the land,
but those he curses will be destroyed." (vss 21-22)

Y
ou ignore what the Bible clearly says, just so you can hang onto your doctrine of eternal torture. I really don't expect that you will ever address John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Matthew 10:28 or any other verse which contradicts your false doctrine, none of your ECTist friends ever has, and I am sure you will avoid the scripture just the same as them. I keep hoping ONE of you will surprise me, and address the Scriptures, but none of you ever does.

I have already replied to John 3:16 and Matt 10:28. As for Romans 6:23, the wages of sin is not non-existence, but rather, spiritual death, which is what this verse clearly mentions. Rom 6:16 says that obedience leads to righteousness, which is what born again Christians experience now, while still alive; and sin leads to death, which is what the wicked experience now, while still alive. Rom 6:13 shows spiritual death is what is meant, not non-existence: "Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness." They have moved from being dead to having eternal life. Eternal life is not some future reality you get at the resurrection, but something believers have right now. (John 4:24; 6:47, 54; 1 John 5:13) Living people are spoken of as being "dead" just as in Romans 6:23, please see Ephesians 2:1, 5; Colossians 2:13, etc. Adam was told that if he ate the fruit (sinned) that he would die that same day, and though he lived hundreds of years he did die that same day spiritually, as is evidenced in him becoming ashamed of his nakedness, as we all know the story.

I hope this satisfies you, that I did reply to all of your Scriptures in detail. Thank you.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi Michael,.....yes...but if you study the orginal word 'aion' and its adjectival derivatives in the teaching material I've so far shared (education is key)....you'd see that these words have been mistranslated into the English words 'eternal/everlasting'...or "forever and ever"...when 'aion' refers to an 'age' (indefinite period of time of limited duration) or 'life-span', and does not in and of itself mean or indicate 'eternal' or 'unending'. Again, folks need to educate themselves here on the language issues first, THEN see how 'eternal punishment' further violates conscience, logic, common sense, morality, justice and mercy. They owe it themselves and 'God'....if they would have a real knowledge and respect given. Holding to insane beliefs or misrepresentations of 'God' is a serious matter.

ALSO important to note, that you correctly observe the above highlighted in yellow....for a loving Heavenly Father chastises/disciplines his children because he loves them. This 'chastisment' is CORRECTIVE,...it is meant to reform and rehabilitate the ones being chastised, and it is only for a season, it is of limited duration, since such 'punishment' (if you want to use that word) is serving its purpose to return the sinner back to right-relationship with God. Beyond just the karmic law of 'action/consequence'....the personal love of Our Father is ever intending towards our restoration and fulfillment of existence, tending towards our wholeness, happiness, peace and joy!

How anyone could think that our Father-God would eternally PUNISH, and condemn a soul to an eternity of torment TO NO END (see here,..."to no end" also means its pointless, its not accomplishing anything, its futile, its insane!) is beyond belief. Only a sadistic, unjust, unloving, unmerciful Tyrant would ALLOW for such a legal-system,...not even our own earthly government sentences a criminal to be endlessly tortured in his cell by some kind of means that he can be 'consciously suffering to no end. Remember,....the divine will and love WILLS that all be saved, that all fulfill their purpose for being. Keep that in mind.

In any case,...the evidence I provided if anyone cares to properly inform themselves on what 'aion' means, and its other forms...should put this to rest, while one's own conscience, logic, reason and spiritual discernment respecting God's nature and character are duly considered, to show that this sick belief in 'eternal punishment' is contrary to any divine logic, let alone sanity.

Dear freelight,

Jesus says that they shall burn forever. In Revelation, which Jesus reveals to John of Patmos, he says forever. You are just wishing it is not forever because you don't want it to be true. That's all. It is not some limited amount of time, though you might like it to be. Few will be sent to the Lake of Fire though, for it is written that Death and Hell shall deliver up those souls who are in them and those whose names are not written in the Book of Life shall be sent there. And also those souls shall be judged according to their works. See Rev. 20:13.

Michael

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
done it in the past, timmy

so have many others

you just stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalalalalala i cannnnn't heaaaaaaar youuuuuuuu!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!11ONE!!!

You slay me koban.

Post a link to the post you are most proud of, the very best post you have made that outright refutes what Timotheos is saying, using brilliant scripture references. Please! I would love to see this. I beg you.

The last time I asked you to do this a mod appeared out of nowhere like a super hero and rescued you by closing the thread. I have no idea what his/her motivation was, but you got set free by higher powers. I don't think they will close this one though, so I'll try again. Lets see it koban! Link your very best example. "Where's the Beef?"!! (other than in eternal "closed for moderator review" lol )

Last edited:

Timotheos

I hope this satisfies you, that I did reply to all of your Scriptures in detail. Thank you.

I will continue to believe what the Bible says, and I can see that you are committed to the ECT view. Psalm 37:10 does not say "the wicked will perish from the earth, Luke 16 does not say that the rich man is experiencing eternal torment, and Luke 16 is not talking about the final state of the wicked anyway, since the man's brothers are still alive, it couldn't be referrring to a time after the final judgment. You claim that the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man is not a parable because no parable contains a name. That is circular, because it assumes that this parable is not a parable. Do you see that? I might as well say, "Parables can contain proper names because the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man contains a proper name". You (and I) can't assume the thing we want to prove, and then turn around and use it as evidence that the thing we want to prove is correct. You can't say "The parable of Lazarus is not a parable, Therefore NO parable contains a proper name, Therefore the parable of Lazarus is not a parable."

Matthew 10:28 can't be saying "fear the one who COULD destroy both body and soul IF HE WANTED TO, because it wouldn't make any sense to NOT fear a person who can't destroy the soul but then turn around and fear God who WON'T destroy the soul.

You say "a person who does not exist can't be punished". I agree, but a person who does exist can be punished by destruction, wouldn't you agree?

The burning bush is not evidence that the wicked will also continue to burn forever without being burnt up. If you read the account in Greek, it says "he saw the bush burn (kaietai) with fire, but the bush did not burn up (katakaieto)". If you compare this with Matthew 3:12 you can easily see the fate of the wicked, "the chaff he will burn up (katakausai) with unquenchable fire". This is the exact opposite of the burning bush. The Bible specifically says that the chaff will be consumed, and the Bible specifically says that the bush is not burned up. But the Bible isn't comparing the wicked to the burning bush in Exodus, the Bible IS comparing the wicked to the chaff in Matthew 3:12

There are just a lot of assumptions in your post, there is much too much for me to comment on. I can see that you are fully committed to the doctrine of eternal conscious torment, so go ahead and believe that. I will continue to believe that the wages of sin is death, since you haven't really given me any reason to believe otherwise.