Justification of Eternal Punishment

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can prove beyond reasonable doubt that eternal torment is Biblical, and justified. Anyone willing to accept this challenge, I would be willing to have an indepth, one on one debate, here, or even via my email, daleyveneita@live.com.

Anyone up for it?

We have a debate section on this forum. There is no need to do it via email. After about a week you will have a private message feature become active. Then you can contact the staff and you have set up a one on one debate with the individual.

Daley

And the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night - to the ages of the ages” (Revelation 20:10, Young's Literal Translation)

The torment isn't forever and ever - the original Greek words referred to an age, or ages; not indefinite, unending time.

Let me ask you a question: If someone had comitted an offense against you, would you torment that person for zillions of years, without end? And not just without end, but in the most sadistic of ways - roasting and burning alive? Would you do that?

tous aionas ton aionon (for ever and ever, Rev 20:10, NIV) also appears in Rev 1:6 "and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever (tous aionas ton aionon)! Amen." Are you really going to deny that "for ever and ever" means all eternity here? Will the glory and power of Christ cease? Jesus says in Rev 1:18 "I am alive tous aionas ton aionon [for ever and ever]." Does Young's Translation have that Jesus will live only for a limited age? I don't think its the intention of the translator to suggest such a thing. Clearly, tous aionas ton aionon, no matter how modern translators choose to render it, definitely means for all eternity. This is how John is using this term throughout Revelation.

Rev 4:9 "to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever [tous aionas ton aionon]," Rev 11:15 says that God and Christ will reign tous aionas ton aionon - how long is that? Its only out of your bias that you change the interpretation of what tous aionas ton aionon means when its applied to eternal torment.

So, what would I do if someone hurt me? Its a big mistake to use what you would personally do or not do as a means of judging God. You are in no position to question the justice of God, for the way He thinks is not the way you and I think. To illustrate, I suppose neither you nor I would kill and innocent baby, or punish a baby for the sins of its parents, right? Yet, that's exactly what God did when he sent the flood in Noah's day which killed all the infants, its exactly what He did when he ordered the Israelites to kill man woman and child:

1 Sam 15:2-3 "This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

Even women and children God wanted them to kill. Would you give that order? Would you take a sword and drive it through a infant in the cradle? 2 Sam 12:15, 18 says the Lord struck David's newborn baby will illness, and it died. I would not have done that, would you? But we can't use this as a basis for assuming what God would or would not do. We have to let Scripture speak for itself.

People who go to hell don't become righteous, they continue to sin as they reject God in their hearts, so their sin will be eternal, so is the punishment. Further, just as God loves eternally deep, he hates sin eternally deep as well. The balance of the eternal life we as believers are given, is equaled by eternal punishment for sin. God is infinite in not only his love, but also his wrath against sin.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you, I watched the video and it is very pertinent to this thread.

Timotheos

While the KJV says "spoiled", destruction doesn't necessarily imply utter end. It simply means ruination. When Jerusalem was destroyed, all the rocks were there - just in pieces. If you hear someone tell another "I will destroy you", the implication is that they will be rendered useless or have everything taken from them. It doesn't necessarily have to even imply being killed. Just one example - Jeremiah 4:13

Behold, he shall come up as clouds, and his chariots shall be as a whirlwind: his horses are swifter than eagles. Woe unto us! for we are spoiled
Jeremiah 4:13

That's the same word for spoiled. Or Micah 2:4

In that day shall one take up a parable against you, and lament with a doleful lamentation, and say, We be utterly spoiled: he hath changed the portion of my people: how hath he removed it from me! turning away he hath divided our fields
Micah 2:4

If they are gone, how can they say they are spoiled?

But even beyond that, I don't know how you can say that Isaiah 33 doesn't imply the presence of God :

The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?
Isaiah 33:14

Compare with this (note that the above verse has the definite article "the" with "devouring fire" implying a specific one) :

And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel.
Exodus 24:17

For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God
Deuteronomy 4:24

Understand therefore this day, that the LORD thy God is he which goeth over before thee; as a consuming fire he shall destroy them, and he shall bring them down before thy face: so shalt thou drive them out, and destroy them quickly, as the LORD hath said unto thee.
Deuteronomy 9:3

Behold, the name of the LORD cometh from far, burning with his anger, and the burden thereof is heavy: his lips are full of indignation, and his tongue as a devouring fire:
Isaiah 30:27

And the LORD shall cause his glorious voice to be heard, and shall shew the lighting down of his arm, with the indignation of his anger, and with the flame of a devouring fire, with scattering, and tempest, and hailstones
Isaiah 30:30

And of course....

Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
For our God is a consuming fire.

Hebrews 12:28-29

Note that the "godly fear" of Hebrews 12:28 is not the same word (i.e. phobos) as the terror we were discussing. Also, the OT phrase for devouring fire and consuming fire above is the same in each verse.

I don't see anything (here) requiring destruction to imply anything besides ruin.

If you can't see that a "devouring fire" actually devours what it dovours then you are simply denying that the Bible means what it says. I already know that you will hang into your doctrine of torture no matter what the Bible says, so what is left to be said? What does Psalm 37:10 say in your Bible? What does John 3:16 say in your Bible? What did God say to Adam? You will surely die or You will sure be tortured alive?

You are just denying what the Bible clearly says, and for no other reason than to believe that God wants to torment the lost in hell forever. Not even because the Bible says this, because it doesn't. Eventally, just because it is what you want to believe.

Timotheos

The wicked will be no more is speaking about them no longer being physically present on this earth.
That is not what the verse says. But I think you already know that is not what the verse says. Re-read Psalm 37:10

This in no way refutes the clear claims of Jesus who said that there is another part of us that can separate from the body, the soul. Matt 10:28 "kill the body but cannot kill the soul," clear distinction, "BOTH soul AND body."
Actually, Psalm 37:10 which says "The wicked will be destroyed" completely AGREES with Matthew 10:28 which goes on to say "But rather fear the one who is able to destroy both body and soul in Gehenna".

Where does this part of us go when we die?
Jesus said that the Body and Soul of the wicked would be destroyed.

There are various abodes in the spirit realm. Luke 16:19-31 says the angels took Lazarus to Abraham's bosom after he died, and the rich man suffered in hell after he died. Does that meet your requirement for a verse which says the wicked will be tormented in hell?
This parable is not talking about the final state of the wicked. Notice that the rich man's brothers are still alive at the time of parable. This can't be talking about what happens at the final judgment. The verse also fails as proof of eternal torment because it doesn't say that the torment is eternal.

I expound on the rich man and Lazarus in some detail, though I could go deeper, to show it really is a literal event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ec8evwSDPQ
No thanks. I don't want to watch the video. If there were a Bible verse that said that the wicked will go to hell when they die where they would be eternally tormented, you would have simply posted it.

Further, as for Rev 20:10, who is the wild beast and the false prophet if not folks from here on earth?
I believe that the beast represents false government and the false prophet represents false religion. But it doesn't really matter WHO they are, since they are not "every person who ever lived", and so their fate is not necessarily the same as everyone else's.

Would they not qualify as examples of persons from among the wicked?
No, because the Bible specifically states that the wicked will perish.

As for the rest of the wicked, Rev 14:9-11 includes ALL the wicked in this everlasting torment:

"9 A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, 10 they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.”

That's not the "rest of the wicked", that is just those who worship the beast or receive the mark. The passage also does not say even that they will be tormented forever. It says that the smoke will rise forever.

Note what Jesus said:

"41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Why is it that you think that going into fire will not destroy those who are sent into the fire? Particularly knowing that Jesus specifically said in Matthew 10:28 that they WOULD be destroyed?

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” (Matt 25:41, 46 NIV)
Once again, this does not say that there is eternal torment, it says eternal punishment, which we both believe. You believe the eternal punishment is eternal torment, and I believe the eternal punishment is eternal destruction. Please read my previous rebuttals BEFORE you post the EXACT SAME arguments OVER AND OVER. It is tiresome to have to explain the exact same thing over and over just because you won't do your homework.

Notice that BOTH the fire and the punishment is said to be just as ETERNAL as the life promised to the righteous. Just as life is something the righteous will experience forever, so too is punishment a conscious experience for the wicked.
Just because eternal life is eternal, that does not mean that those who are destroyed will ALSO receive eternal life. They will be destroyed. Their destruction will last forever. They do not need to be alive forever in order to be dead forever.

They will, according to Jesus, be cast into the SAME FIRE of Rev 20:10 that you deny they will experience. So Rev 20:10 is not limited to the wild beast, false prophet and Satan, for Jesus says all the goats will go there as well, and he says its eternal fire, Rev 20:10 says "for ever and ever".
You keep forgetting (conveniently) that Rev 20:10 is talking only about the devil, the beast, and the false prophet. I do not deny that Jesus says the wicked will be cast into the fire. I agree, and I also agree with Jesus that the wicked will be destroyed in that fire.

Now, I think that satisfies what you asked for.
NO. It doesn't. I asked you to provide a verse from the Bible that said "the wicked will go to hell when they die where they will experience torment forever". You failed to do that. Instead you threw up the same prooftexts that are always used, which simply do not say that the wicked will go to hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever. You also failed to address any of the multitude of scripture passages that specifically state that the wicked will perish, they will be destroyed, and they will be no more.

I want to know, if Rev 20:10 is symbolic, what does it symbolize? Can the word TORMENT symbolize unconsciousness after one is destroyed? Can FOR EVER AND EVER represent a limited, short period of time?
Once again, (sigh) Revelation 20:10 is talking about the beast, the false prophet and the devil. Not everyone else on earth. Please pay attention.

This is a clear Bible truth, but if you aren't up for it I understand.
I am up for Bible Truth, but you haven't given me any. Every time you quote the Bible, you try to tell me that it means something that it doesn't say.

Do you really want clear Bible truth? Read John 3:16 and tell me what it says. This is clear Bible truth, but if you aren't up for it I understand. Read Roamsn 6:23 and tell me what it says. This is clear Bible truth, but if you aren't up for it I understand. Read Isaiah 33:1, Psalm 37:10, 37:20, and 37:38 and tell me what they say. This is clear Bible truth, but if you aren't up for it I understand.

You ignore what the Bible clearly says, just so you can hang onto your doctrine of eternal torture. I really don't expect that you will ever address John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Matthew 10:28 or any other verse which contradicts your false doctrine, none of your ECTist friends ever has, and I am sure you will avoid the scripture just the same as them. I keep hoping ONE of you will surprise me, and address the Scriptures, but none of you ever does.

nikolai_42

If you can't see that a "devouring fire" actually devours what it dovours then you are simply denying that the Bible means what it says.

What happened to the burning bush? You are trying to apply merely natural characteristics of fire to a supranatural God. So when I read Isaiah 33:14 and men raising the question of being able to dwell in the fire (not questioning whether it is physically possible, but whether they can stand it), I have no problem seeing Lazarus in torment wanting a drop of water on his tongue (Jesus added all that detail to describe something that doesn't exist?) all in the context of a God who is a consuming fire and who can devour yet leave existence in tact.

I already know that you will hang into your doctrine of torture no matter what the Bible says, so what is left to be said? What does Psalm 37:10 say in your Bible? What does John 3:16 say in your Bible? What did God say to Adam? You will surely die or You will sure be tortured alive?

And did Adam die? God said "in the day you eat of it...you shall surely die...". If he really is dead as you must believe (per God's words), doesn't that contradict the idea that death is necessarily utter and complete obliteration?

You are just denying what the Bible clearly says, and for no other reason than to believe that God wants to torment the lost in hell forever. Not even because the Bible says this, because it doesn't. Eventally, just because it is what you want to believe.

I can assure you this is not the case.

Timotheos

What happened to the burning bush?
The Bible specifically says that the burning burn was not consumed by fire. This is noteworthy exactly because every other fire consumes what it burns, and the verse you yourself quoted said a "consuming fire".

You are trying to apply merely natural characteristics of fire to a supranatural God.
No, I am attempting to get you to agree to what the Bible says and not what you WISH it would say.

So when I read Isaiah 33:14 and men raising the question of being able to dwell in the fire (not questioning whether it is physically possible, but whether they can stand it),
Isaiah asks "Who can dwell in the fire?" He answers this in the next verse, Only the righteous can dwell in the fire. Are you going to attempt to tell me next that the wicked are given righteousness so that they can dwell in the fire of torment???

I have no problem seeing Lazarus in torment wanting a drop of water on his tongue (Jesus added all that detail to describe something that doesn't exist?) all in the context of a God who is a consuming fire and who can devour yet leave existence in tact.
You are missing the plain FACT that a CONSUMING fire CONSUMES what it burns. That means that their existence is not left intact. They will be consumed by the consuming fire. You just WANT to believe the opposite of what the Bible says, don't you?

And did Adam die?
YES! Adam did die! Just as God said, Adam died. When he was 930 years old.

God said "in the day you eat of it...you shall surely die...". If he really is dead as you must believe (per God's words), doesn't that contradict the idea that death is necessarily utter and complete obliteration?
Not at all! God is more than capable of raising the dead, and I am certain that God will raise up Adam on the last day and give him eternal life. Are you forgetting about the resurrection????

I can plainly see that you will continue to believe in eternal torture no matter what I say and no matter what the Bible says. You must want Eternal torture to be true, why else would you continue to argue for it, when the evidence is clearly against it?

Timotheos

Nick, I asked you "What does John 3:16 say in your Bible?" Why couldn't you tell me? Also Romans 6:23, Why aren't you able to tell me what it says in your Bible?

nikolai_42

The Bible specifically says that the burning burn was not consumed by fire. This is noteworthy exactly because every other fire consumes what it burns, and the verse you yourself quoted said a "consuming fire".

I only have a few minutes but I will respond one last time.

If you agree that God is a consuming (or devouring) fire - which I believe you do - AND you believe that the fire on the bush was God, then you are caught by your own literalism. For here is the consuming fire that is....not consuming.

No, I am attempting to get you to agree to what the Bible says and not what you WISH it would say.

Isaiah asks "Who can dwell in the fire?" He answers this in the next verse, Only the righteous can dwell in the fire. Are you going to attempt to tell me next that the wicked are given righteousness so that they can dwell in the fire of torment???

No. But it would be worth considering that if you believe God is a consuming fire (and therefore MUST consume) then what of those who dwell in His presence but are not punished? What you are requiring of the definitions affects you as well as those who believe torment is the fate of the wicked.

You are missing the plain FACT that a CONSUMING fire CONSUMES what it burns. That means that their existence is not left intact. They will be consumed by the consuming fire. You just WANT to believe the opposite of what the Bible says, don't you?

YES! Adam did die! Just as God said, Adam died. When he was 930 years old.

Once again, I point out that you are pushing for consistency in one way but ignoring it for yourself. Adam was told he would die IN THE DAY HE ATE OF IT (not 900 or so years later). Either he died that day or he didn't.

Not at all! God is more than capable of raising the dead, and I am certain that God will raise up Adam on the last day and give him eternal life. Are you forgetting about the resurrection????

I can plainly see that you will continue to believe in eternal torture no matter what I say and no matter what the Bible says. You must want Eternal torture to be true, why else would you continue to argue for it, when the evidence is clearly against it?

As I said before, I've been in other camps on this issue. The universalist stance is particularly problematic but even the conditionalist stance has problems. And knowing the fruit of both, I can be fairly confident in believing that there is an eternal consequence for the wicked that is worse than just not being conscious again.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
points to consider....

points to consider....

do you agree that the damned suffer punishment before annihilation?

I don't know since its a complicated subject, but we have the law of karma (also called the 'law of retribution or compensation') which is appropriated measure for measure according to universal law (action/consequence) and we must consider the infinite LOVE of God working by divine wisdom, where justice and mercy are perfectly maintained, revealing Love as God's prominent nature.

As far as the eschatology involved, the order or process of how judgment or metaphysical laws take place (such as when a full embrace of iniquity results in 'death', or a process of adjudication of sins takes place)...we can only speculate...since there is a time factor in these processes, at least as we perceive such in a 'time-reference'. Mercy must allow for providential space and time for sinners to repent, as Love affords,...AND...it is only 'God' that knows if a soul is beyond repentance OR has made a final choice of absolute rejection of life (embracing iniquity whole-heartedly) whereby that soul has committed 'suicide' as it were, and DEATH in the fullest and final sense of the word ensues. This view is of course the 'conditional immortality' view, which assumes some souls can finally and eternally die (they are disintegrated).

Now as to God or some heavenly tribunal meting out 'punishments' before annihilation,...I don't see the need for that, since the ultimate 'death' of these souls is the ultimate 'result' of their sin, - in the meantime there is the reaping of what is sown in time, being the 'suffering' a sinner endures while conscious. The ultimate death of a soul is final, that being the consequence of the complete embrace of iniquity, which is a total rejection of God/Life. This is the second death, from which there is no resurrection for that individual soul-personality (although some aspects, memories, essences of this soul may continue of course, those which have divine value and are absorbed back into the OverSoul of creation). There are other teachings on this which go into more detail, but will bypass that for now.

Finally, as we shared before....on moral/philosophic grounds alone...the thought that a 'God' is enforcing and maintaining the eternal torment and suffering of souls TO NO END, is most heinous, to say nothing of insane. A Loving Father disciplines/chastises his children as a means of 'correction', hoping for rehabilitation/reform of his beloved, NOT condemning them to eternal punishment. Whom the Lord loves he chastises,....all suffering is to lead one towards the love of God, the purity and righteousness of his truth, laws and principles....whereby the soul is healed/restored...fulfilling their purpose of existence. Condemning souls to eternal torment with no possibility of relief or salvation EVER is just unthinkable. Hence some believe it is more merciful and logical for the wicked to be 'annihilated' but this is only after they have refused all opportunity of reform/repentance...and have made a final and eternal decision of utter rejection of God. In these cases,....the 'second death' is 'disintegration'....NOT eternal torment in some lake of fire or anywhere else for that matter.

So we see, there are many possibilities here, and we haven't gone into the wonderful option of Universalism whereby all souls are eventually/ultimate rejoined to 'God', the divine love and will ultimately being fulfilled, because God's will is all supreme :) This will be enough for this segment to consider,...but never forget God's Love is INFINITE. Meditate upon that love....consider its magnitude, its long suffering, its power, its will, how it must include all his creation.

nikolai_42

Nick, I asked you "What does John 3:16 say in your Bible?" Why couldn't you tell me? Also Romans 6:23, Why aren't you able to tell me what it says in your Bible?

You're just saying the same thing again with those verses. I understand you want to harp on the idea of death as simply being a final termination. Why not add in Ezekiel 18:4 and Ezekiel 18:20? It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
Ezekiel 18:4

{If anything, that verse is a small problem for conditionalism...the souls being God's - will He destroy His own property?}

The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
Ezekiel 18:20

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:23

And more...

Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Ezekiel 18:31

Therefore, O thou son of man, speak unto the house of Israel; Thus ye speak, saying, If our transgressions and our sins be upon us, and we pine away in them, how should we then live?
Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.

Ezekiel 33:10-12

{But again...the question is raised - does everyone who sins die the very day they sin? That's what the above passage seems to say..."the day of his transgression" etc...}

Timotheos

You're just saying the same thing again with those verses. I understand you want to harp on the idea of death as simply being a final termination. Why not add in Ezekiel 18:4 and Ezekiel 18:20? It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
Ezekiel 18:4

{If anything, that verse is a small problem for conditionalism...the souls being God's - will He destroy His own property?}

The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
Ezekiel 18:20

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:23

And more...

Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Ezekiel 18:31

Therefore, O thou son of man, speak unto the house of Israel; Thus ye speak, saying, If our transgressions and our sins be upon us, and we pine away in them, how should we then live?
Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.

Ezekiel 33:10-12

{But again...the question is raised - does everyone who sins die the very day they sin? That's what the above passage seems to say..."the day of his transgression" etc...}

Thank you for FINALLY telling me what these verses say in your Bible. It's like pulling teeth to even get ECTists to admit these verses even exist. Certainly I could have included Ezekiel 18:4 and nearly 100 other passages from the Bible that specifically state that the wicked will perish, be destroyed, and be no more. But the point in asking you to post these verses was so that you could see for yourself what the Bible says. And to ask you why you do not believe what they say.

Now, you said the Bible says that the sinner will die the very day he sins. That is not what the Bible says. The Bible says that the wicked will be resurrected and then they will be destroyed on the day of "Judgment and Destruction of the Ungodly". Even in Genesis, the Hebrew is "Mut ta Muth", which means "Dying, you will die". This is a perfect description of what happened to Adam as a result of his sin. "Dying, you will die", that is a perfect description of Adam becoming mortal as a result of sin. Indeed, the Bible says "For the wages of sin is death". Interesting how the Bible holds together throughout.

(incidentally, why WOULDN'T God be able to destroy his own property??? He would actually be the only one who legally COULD destroy his own property, so "All souls are mine, the soul who sins shall die" isn't problem for the Biblical Doctrine of Conditional Immortality in the slightest!!!)

Timotheos

Nick, it is too bad that I wasn't able to convince you that the Bible is really true when it says that the wicked will perish.

I wish I could convince you that the Bible is true, but I guess you will have to discover this for yourself.

Timotheos

If you agree that God is a consuming (or devouring) fire - which I believe you do - AND you believe that the fire on the bush was God, then you are caught by your own literalism. For here is the consuming fire that is....not consuming.

This is not a problem for me AT ALL!

The fire in Exodus is said to not consume the bush. The Fire in Matthew 3:12 specifically says that the chaff WILL be burnt up. The Greek word is κατακαύσει and specifically means to be completely burnt up. If you read the Exodus passage in Greek, it is the opposite of this.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
According to the Bible (which doesn't seem to matter at all to you) the wicked will be punished BY being destroyed.

Isaiah 33:1 ESV
Ah, you destroyer,
who yourself have not been destroyed,
you traitor,
whom none has betrayed!
When you have ceased to destroy,
you will be destroyed;
and when you have finished betraying,
they will betray you.

Psalm 37:20
But the wicked will perish;
the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures;
they vanish—like smoke they vanish away.

Psalm 37:38
But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed;
the future of the wicked shall be cut off.

I don't know how you can read this and then continue to deny what it says. Look up John 3:16 in your Bible. Tell me what it says. I'm serious, do this. It contradicts your false doctrine!

do you believe that only the saved have immortal souls?

Timotheos

do you believe that only the saved have immortal souls?

I believe Jesus Christ who said "fear the one who is able to destroy both body and soul in Gehenna".

Do you believe the wicked have immortal souls? Which verse in the Bible says this? Please be specific.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I believe Jesus Christ who said "fear the one who is able to destroy both body and soul in Gehenna".

i'll take that as a yes

so you believe that living people's souls are not immortal

and you believe that the wicked, when they die, are punished by painless euthanasia

Timotheos

i'll take that as a yes

so you believe that living people's souls are not immortal

and you believe that the wicked, when they die, are punished by painless euthanasia

The Bible says that the wicked will be destroyed. I don't know if that is painless or not. The Bible doesn't say. Do you know of any verse in the Bible that says that the destruction of the wicked will be painless? I just believe what the Bible says. I believe that those who put their faith in Jesus Christ will inherit eternal life, so those who put their faith in Jesus Christ will be immortal, because of Him. The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

You didn't answer my question. You seem to think that I must give good answers to any of your questions, but you never answer my questions. My questions must be too difficult for you. Do you believe that the wicked have immortal souls and where does the Bible say this?