Just a System

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
someone should report you for encouraging him
Can you really encourage an alcoholic to take a drink? :think:

the dimwitted often do find themselves in that sort of predicament but admitting you have a problem is the first step towards seeking a solution!
Okay, I admit you have a problem. Now what's the solution? I'm thinking bromide. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
this will be my last reply
-do not want to appear to be encouraging you in what appears to be you encouraging him
Like blaming the guy who shot the mugger, but okay. He's going to follow me about and talk about or too me if I do or if I don't post in response. . . so mostly I do if I see a chance at levity and don't else. That's about the wrap on my interest. And given his starting point today...looks like the latter. See you around the joint.

:e4e:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ignorance doesn't have to be fatal unless we confuse it with virtue. Now you have two choices. You can tell your oncologist that you read an article on shark cartilage and won't be needing his services, or you can realize that there's a reason we value hard won and extensive knowledge more than we do our anecdotal exposure.
So, your analogy, despite your claim to the contrary, was that lawyers are the gatekeepers of what is justice in our system. Or, if you want to get technical, one would have to put in the time and study the same as a lawyer to understand if the system was just or not. I remain skeptical.

Not if you go by my approach. I don't define words, I learn the definitions.
I would definitely call our plea bargaining approach as a justice system less than transparent. That's an evil in itself.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So, your analogy, despite your claim to the contrary,
If you're going to wait a month between replies you'll have to quote the analogy you think is somehow contradicted and set out why. Else, beans.

was that lawyers are the gatekeepers of what is justice in our system.
How do you mean?

Or, if you want to get technical, one would have to put in the time and study the same as a lawyer to understand if the system was just or not. I remain skeptical.
Ah, then as a rule I'd say there's no point in getting older, time and experience and what we do with it not accruing sufficiently to convince you. But of course you'd get a medical opinion from a doctor and a legal opinion from a lawyer. Why? Because time and study do matter, to all of us...so you have this narrow, personal window. My window, even on the purely anecdotal end, will outstrip that by leaps and bounds. But more important is my understanding of the system, the law and studies about both. Now anyone can look at anything men do and find flaws, abuses, etc. Clergy occasionally pilfer the collection box and run off with the church secretary, politicians go to jail for corruption, and so on. But those aren't the rule and how we establish a rule, the metric, is important.

I would definitely call our plea bargaining approach as a justice system less than transparent.
I don't know what you mean by that. It's clear to the parties involved.

That's an evil in itself.
Things you don't understand fully are evil in themselves?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you're going to wait a month between replies you'll have to quote the analogy you think is somehow contradicted and set out why. Else, beans.
Yeah, it's a real problem. I have a job that gets crazy busy for a few days sometimes and then I forget about responses on TOL.

How do you mean?
That people can see the injustice in the system without being lawyers are training as much as lawyers. Your claim is that we cannot see that the system is, in general, unjust because we don't have the training to understand that what we see as general injustice is the opposite. I still remain skeptical.

Ah, then as a rule I'd say there's no point in getting older, time and experience and what we do with it not accruing sufficiently to convince you. But of course you'd get a medical opinion from a doctor and a legal opinion from a lawyer. Why? Because time and study do matter, to all of us...so you have this narrow, personal window. My window, even on the purely anecdotal end, will outstrip that by leaps and bounds. But more important is my understanding of the system, the law and studies about both. Now anyone can look at anything men do and find flaws, abuses, etc. Clergy occasionally pilfer the collection box and run off with the church secretary, politicians go to jail for corruption, and so on. But those aren't the rule and how we establish a rule, the metric, is important.
Well, yes, of course if you want to play the system then a lawyer is a first rate choice. If you want justice - not so much.

Is the problem systemic? Let's see:

I don't know what you mean by that. It's clear to the parties involved.

Things you don't understand fully are evil in themselves?
From Wiki: "A plea bargain (also plea agreement, plea deal, copping a plea, or plea in mitigation) is any agreement in a criminal case between the prosecutor and defendant whereby the defendant agrees to plead guilty to a particular charge in return for some concession from the prosecutor. This may mean that the defendant will plead guilty to a less serious charge, or to one of several charges, in return for the dismissal of other charges; or it may mean that the defendant will plead guilty to the original criminal charge in return for a more lenient sentence." And plea bargains are about 90% of all the criminal cases in the US.

But this is really the tip of the iceberg. Bureaucrats can bend laws to a point that no one really knows what the law is. For instance, how many guns does it take to be a gun seller that requires an FFL? They don't say. The bureaucrat can make it up as he goes along and punish some people severely for doing nothing wrong in reality, but wrong by the letter of a law that no one can know.

And the problem is even bigger than that. It doesn't include the people that are afraid of a law that depends on the whim of a bureaucrat and so they don't do something out of the fear of tyranny which could well be described as "rule by whim, frequently harsh."

And then there are other vast injustices. Like prisons. And many of the drug laws. And welfare paid with taxes. They put laws into the system that are just plain wrong. In fact, a whole system based on situational law will always become more unjust as time goes by. A system based on principle would be much better.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can you really encourage an alcoholic to take a drink? :think:

Ignoring the euphemism, it is easy to entice a drunk into drinking when they are trying to quit. I know you didn't mean it that way, but that is what "alcoholic" is.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is unjust to let a murderer plead guilty to running a stop sign after he shoots the clerk at 7-11 for $40. That is hyperbole in hopes you can understand how it is wrong.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's a real problem. I have a job that gets crazy busy for a few days sometimes and then I forget about responses on TOL.
Life. Not a problem, but by that point I'm mostly recalling the framework, so without a quote I may just have to note we differ. I'm going into the next semester of grad school so I don't have a lot of time to invest and none to dig back at this point.

That people can see the injustice in the system without being lawyers are training as much as lawyers.
I think you don't have to be a lawyer to see what you believe is an injustice. You may be right. You may be misreading it. In any event, that's a bit different from making a blanket statement about the system.

Your claim is that we cannot see that the system is, in general, unjust because we don't have the training to understand that what we see as general injustice is the opposite. I still remain skeptical.
'
I'm saying a bit more than that. I'm saying the system works, serves justice, is mostly right and does it better than any system on earth, that not only do we attempt to protect the innocent, but we have in place additional protections for review understanding that mistakes can and will be made, even if they mostly aren't.

Well, yes, of course if you want to play the system then a lawyer is a first rate choice. If you want justice - not so much.
That wasn't remotely responsive to my point. That's a bumper sticker. And it's not true, to boot.

Is the problem systemic? Let's see:
Typically the plea may involve a lesser charge or, more often, in accepting the plea the prosecutor agrees to recommend a minimum or reduced sentence. Usually the rate is between 90 to 95%. There's nothing unjust in that. The time we attach as penalty typically has a min/max, so it's not circumventing the penalty phase. Plea bargaining frees up resources for the most violent offenses and saves the taxpayers a great deal of money, both in terms of the costs to prosecute and the potential need for additional courtrooms, judges and associated staff.

But this is really the tip of the iceberg.[/qtuoe]
What iceberg? You haven't established that plea bargains are unjust, only that you don't like them.

Bureaucrats can bend laws to a point that no one really knows what the law is. For instance, how many guns does it take to be a gun seller that requires an FFL? They don't say. The bureaucrat can make it up as he goes along and punish some people severely for doing nothing wrong in reality, but wrong by the letter of a law that no one can know.
I read a quick federal guide on the point. It noted that federal and state laws apply and that facts control the answer, which may seem ambiguous, but it follows it with,
"As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy andsell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast,if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personalcollection, you do not need to be licensed.

...federal law explicitly exempts persons “who makeoccasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of apersonal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collectionof firearms.” Do I Need a License to Buy or Sell Firearms?, U.S. Dept. of Justice Guide​

And the problem is even bigger than that. It doesn't include the people that are afraid of a law that depends on the whim of a bureaucrat and so they don't do something out of the fear of tyranny which could well be described as "rule by whim, frequently harsh."
Complicated laws aren't a tyranny or evidence of one.

And then there are other vast injustices. Like prisons.
How is a prison an injustice, let alone a vast one?

And many of the drug laws.
Sounds like you're conflating what you believe are bad or useless laws (hard to say which without more from you) with unjust laws. There's nothing unjust in making alcohol legal, by way of...or making pot illegal.

And welfare paid with taxes.
Has nothing to do with the justice system...and isn't inherently unjust. God commanded Israel to set aside a portion of income for those in need. There's nothing unjust in making provisions for the poor.

They put laws into the system that are just plain wrong.
Our system of laws (a larger thing than the criminal justice system) is made so that bad law can be reviewed and rejected by either the courts or the people, through legislative process. That's no guarantee you'll get every law you want on the books or every law you want off the books. Not getting your way isn't inherently injust.

In fact, a whole system based on situational law will always become more unjust as time goes by.
You'll have to tell me what you mean by that. Murder is still murder. Theft remains theft. And our Constitutional principles/protections are still in place. In fact, you could argue the Civil Rights Movement and result contradicts your notion, if you see our system as being wholly situational, as did the abolition of slavery and recognizing the equality of women before the law and in relation to rights.

A system based on principle would be much better.
We have one of those. One of the principles of criminal law is the presumption of innocence. Mitigation brings in the idea that the facts or situation is important. Self-defense, by way of, looks a lot like murder until you read in the facts.

:e4e:

Last edited: