Jesus is God? Or Jesus is begotten of God?

God's Truth

Which basically agrees with the formulated orthodox creed of them all having the same 'essence', (same 'being'),
That is not true, for they do not believe the same essence is the Spirit.
but you don't allow each 'person' in the Godhead to have their own unique/separate personality or distinction as a compound unity, having a more 'modalist' perspective.
I am no more a modalist than a trinitarian.

Common sense should tell you it is wrong to say the Father and Jesus are different and separate.

Is this correct? - Your concept of 'God' is modalistic, the Father, Son and Spirit just being 'phases' of the One God, yet in this economy, is 'God' only working thru one 'phase' during any given dispensation? or are all phases inter-acting and operating in the cosmos at every moment?
I am not a modalist. Modalist believe that there are three, as the trinitarians believe, but they do not believe the three exist at the same time.

Well,...depends on whose 'truth' or what 'version' is being proposed, but over all,....our perception of 'truth' will be 'relative' and 'conditioned' by various filter-factors. All truth in this limited mortal space-time conditioned world, is 'relative'. What is Absolute Truth or Reality...just IS. - everything 'else' is distorted, conceptualized, compartmentalized by mind.

Do you want some religion’s truth? Do you want some manmade truth?
Or do you want God’s Truth?
You will not find God’s Truth by reading a book and believing it.
You will only find God’s Truth by finding Jesus’ words in the Holy Bible and doing what Jesus says.

Which makes for a wonderful con-fusion eh? Jesus the Son, represents his Father-God to us, serving to reveal Him to us. - recognizing this is sufficient, to behold 'God' in 'Christ', Jesus being his 'agent' of 'agency' ( for creation and redemption).

As far as Jesus being the Father manifested in the flesh, this counters distinction of persons and relational logics as Jesus relates to his Father being in heaven (in Spirit, being 'transcendental', 'all-pervading'.... a 'presence' greater than his own localized form), showing clear separation of personalities RELATING to one another (even if you mesh them all together as one essence, differentiated somehow to be able to 'relate' to one another). You STILL have relational difference between 'persons'distinguished THRU 'relationship'. Otherwise there is no relationship, just a succession of phases or modes of 'God'.
Jesus is God the Father come to earth in the flesh as a Son.

Right Divider

Body part
I trust you mean "sacred."
Indeed, I did. It was a typo.

It's the foundation of our country, so in a sense yes it is sacred.
What about other countries?

In this country, the majority always represents the will of the people, which is the whole point of democracy. Sometimes it has to evolve, but we've been shown throughout history that the most benevolent and wise viewpoint always wins out in the end
That is just fantasy there Greg.

Firstly, this country is NOT a democracy; it is a democratic republic. It is that way specifically to avoid a direct majority rule. Look at the way votes are counted in the presidential election. That should tell you something.

It seems that you believe that the majority could pass a law denying the minority any rights and that would still be OK, since it's the majorities will.

I think that the old saying says it very well, "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding on what to have for lunch".

This thread is about the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ and we who trust Him believe that He gets to make the rules that people live by since He created us.

Right Divider

Body part
If you hadn't been born to a Christian family, but instead to a Muslim one, you'd think that the Quran was ultimate truth and that the Bible was inaccurate.

You were born into a Christian family, and therefore believe the Bible to be truth and the Quran inaccurate.

If your opinion on something is so heavily affected by which denomination you were placed into at birth, then neither side is much more convincing than the other. As such, you need to show respect for other views besides your own.
It seems to me that you think that Greg's opinion should hold the most weight.

Amazing to me that that is somehow a radical opinion here when a fellow by the name of Jesus said "love thy neighbor as thyself." He didn't preach "tell thy neighbor how stupid he is and totally disregard him because he isn't the same religion as you." Or maybe I just missed that sermon?
So you believe in some of the things that Jesus said, but not others? If guess you just like the ones that you like.

Last edited:

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Neither. Jesus was neither God nor begotten of God unless you are asking from the point of view of Paul's gospel. (Acts 9:20)

Jesus was a Jew begotten of Joseph and Mary.

The only option you are left with by denying that fact is in John 8:41, that Jesus was born out of corruption.
Do you deny Bar Kochba was a son of a whore then?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
But can you walk on water and calm the wind?

With enough faith we most likely could. Faith can move a mountain.

But can we?

God had proven to His son many times he could trust Him.

At least for four thousand years before he incarnated.

You are confusing the meaning of power here.

It is authority.

God gave him authority to forgive sins, cast out devils and much more.

When God's son emptied himself he became least in the kingdom of heaven.

But still greater than John the Baptist.

Just because he came here in the flesh did not disqualify him from being in the kingdom.

This is why He said in another place the son of man which is in heaven.

Jesus was anointed with authority at his baptism.

And at that time was still least in the kingdom of heaven.

After His obedience of going to the cross, God has rewarded His son with everything that He had.

Now he is the greatest of all creation in the kingdom of heaven.

Christ's first and greatest act of faith in his Father was emptying himself and becoming a man.

Stop belittling him Keypurr.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part

It is authority.

Just because he came here in the flesh did not disqualify him from being in the kingdom.

After His obedience of going to the cross, God has rewarded His son with everything that He had.

Christ's first and greatest act of faith in his Father was emptying himself and becoming a man.

That's a lot of confused talk with not a single scripture reference to back it up.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Truth in its pure essence is one, although expressing in different forms

Truth in its pure essence is one, although expressing in different forms

You have a funny idea of truth where everyone's claims are just a valid as everyone else's. What a mess!

A universal omnipresent reality is the same one common to all sentient beings,.....this reality is at the heart of existence itself, including the center and circumference of all, and beyond....as The Infinite.

Our perception, interpretation, translation of 'truth' (particularly from a theological perspective) may vary by many different factors, among them our upbringing, culture, education, philosophical disposition, religious exposure, psychological proclivities, etc.

It still stands as we shared earlier,...that it might have been that if you were born into a different culture within a different religious tradition, that you'd be 'conditioned' to believe in the 'theology' of that particular tradition. You cannot say otherwise, because all you know is the 'situational-context' in which your own 'theology' has taken its present form. I find keeping an open mind as an 'eclectic' and even more critical mind as a 'theosophist' (I mean in general at this point since I'm still researching Blavatasky's teachings as far as particulars go), is a better way to go, since all religious traditions and universal principles/archetypes are 'considered' and 'studied' as how they 'relate' to the whole, as to what universal truths and principles lie therein. Such is the 'Perennial Philosophy'....or the wisdom of the ages.

No one religious cult or tradition has a monopoly on the totality of truth, but the esoteric laws and principles contained in most all the world religions and smaller cults of various note, can be studied.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
I'll make it easy for you, Right Divider.

Start by refuting this.

When God's son took on flesh he ceased from his own works.

I'll be back later. :)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Christology...........

Christology...........

That is not true, for they do not believe the same essence is the Spirit.

We'll have to explore that a bit more then, as far as particulars go ;)

I was just noting that Trinitarian theology holds that all 3 divine personalities share the same 'essence', that 'essence' is indivisible being 'one', yet the 3 personalities in that 'Godhead' are unique, distinct unto themselves within that compound unity. Since 'God' is Spirit, of course they are "one in spirit". Apart from our terms and definition,....its just semantics.

I am no more a modalist than a trinitarian.

Noted. But there would still seem to be some problems with your view to some people, relationally speaking, since Jesus claimed the Father was greater than he, besides many instances of Jesus talking to himself?, and clearly referring to have his own 'will', yet submitting his will to the Fathers (this indicates 2 persons, one subjecting themselves to the other),...and we could go on.

I'm just curious about your 'Christology', and probing some of the finer or more subtle points.

Common sense should tell you it is wrong to say the Father and Jesus are different and separate.

I think I've clarified here and elsewhere, that relationally...the Father and Jesus are clearly different/separate personalities, and RELATE to each other as such (at least in the gospels narratives). I don't think there could be 'commoner' sense to see that much.

There is nothing wrong with recognizing the spiritual unity (or 'oneness') between Jesus and the Father, but making them the same 'being' runs into some metaphysical complications. Note too that in John 17 Jesus is praying that we be ONE with him and he and the Father are one, were we are all one in 'spiritual community'. Does that make us 'God the Father'? Also note Paul's metaphor of we being the 'body of Christ'. Don't forget, much of these 'terms' are 'figurative'.

I am not a modalist. Modalist believe that there are three, as the trinitarians believe, but they do not believe the three exist at the same time.

Noted.

Do you want some religion’s truth? Do you want some manmade truth?
Or do you want God’s Truth?
You will not find God’s Truth by reading a book and believing it.
You will only find God’s Truth by finding Jesus’ words in the Holy Bible and doing what Jesus says.

You've touted this line before. All we have are the canonized gospels in the NT to go by, since you probably only 'assume' those as the official or accurate records of Jesus words, however I don't since I draw from other re-sources as well. But in any case,...the clear distinction between Jesus and 'God' in the gospel accounts are plentiful, and rational. Doing what Jesus says is another issue altogether! (you've got lots of folks worshipping an 'image' or 'concept' of Jesus, but rejecting a lot of what he says, due to dispensational reasons, and whatever).

Jesus is God the Father come to earth in the flesh as a Son.

This depends on how you qualify and define your statement. That Jesus came to earth and revealed 'God' to us, is a reasonable assumption, for he came as the 'agent' or 'representative' of 'God', God's Messenger/Prophet. He was anointed by 'God', and filled with God's Spirit,...so sure, you could say he was 'God' manifesting in the flesh if that concept pleases you.

Some of these propositions are really semantics or 'cosmetics', until we see that most of us agree in the fundamental import of Jesus ministry and teaching, minus the frills. As I've share before,...what really matter is what Jesus COMMUNICATES as the manifestation of God to us, and how we also with him join in making ourselves yieled vessels to ALSO manifest and express God. That's the main essential here, to know God, be like him, obey his word (divine laws/principles) and to grow in love, becoming more perfect like our Father in heaven. Christologies may differ, and they do within Christendom,...but the essentials remain.

keypurr

It is authority.

Your confusing the man and the spirit he was given. Christ had the power to create everything. Christ was spirit not man. Jesus was a man, he was given the power of Christ at his bsptism. That is stated quite clearly in Acts 10:38. I do not belittle my Lord, I just tell it like it is. Jesus became the Christ when Christ became flesh. That is what I see as truth, not the misconseptions taught in church. Jesus was never in heaven til he was raised from the dead. But the Christ in him was, until you understand that you will never understand my thoughts. The son that is mentioned in Heb 1, is much more than the man Jesus.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Your confusing the man and the spirit he was given. Christ had the power to create everything. Christ was spirit not man. Jesus was a man, he was given the power of Christ at his bsptism. That is stated quite clearly in Acts 10:38. I do not belittle my Lord, I just tell it like it is. Jesus became the Christ when Christ became flesh. That is what I see as truth, not the misconseptions taught in church. Jesus was never in heaven til he was raised from the dead. But the Christ in him was, until you understand that you will never understand my thoughts. The son that is mentioned in Heb 1, is much more than the man Jesus.

Still working on your "demented Theorizations" I see.

Lon

Jesus is God? Or Jesus is begotten of God?
Yes, both/and John 1:1 "...was with AND was God."
How? I don't know. It is just plainly expressed that your question tries to divide what is indivisible. Hope that helps.

Christians here at TOL, do you believe that God and Jesus are the exact same being? Or do you think that Jesus is divine and begotten of God but not the same being?
One God, somehow "with and was" as clearly expressed.

From the words of the new testament it seems to me that Jesus is a separate entity.
Half right, or completely missing the ball, however you'd examine that scripture and others.

For example he says that even he doesn't know when the end times are, and that only God does. How could Jesus not know what God does if they are the exact same being?
Father and Son are separate, yet are "one" John 10:30. This particular question is yet reflected in John 1:1 as both separate and the same. Such is beyond our logic and finite minds to adequately grasp and so the question, if answered by finite logic, would likewise be necessarily inadequate. There are logical responses, I have no idea if any are 'accurate or right.' I simply believe that at the time Jesus said it Matthew 24:36, it was true. I may not be true now, for whatever reason, or it may yet be. It really doesn't answer anything else for us but there is nothing wrong with a questioning mind. There may well be everything wrong, however, with a mind that locks onto an answer that isn't given. Because of this, this isolated verse 'cannot' steer my theology about God and His one-ness and separateness. I dare not go beyond scripture to speculate. If His Spirit makes it one day plain to me, with clear scripture, I'll embrace that scripture but embracing separateness without acknowledging one-ness, is wrong as is embracing God's one-ness and denying His separateness. Both are inextricably woven and given together as His nature in scripture.

John 1:1

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Again, where is the scripture?

That God's son was working before he came here.

John 5:17 KJV

17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto , and I work .

Jesus ceased from his works.

John 9:4 KJV

4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh , when no man can work .

Notice how Jesus was restricted until his baptism of fire at the cross.

Luke 12:50 KJV

50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with ; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished !