An eye for an eye is not equity

eye = eye

Not equitable?

Huh?

in judgement it is brutal restitution.

It's not restitution at all.

It's called corporal punishment.

It’s payback.

That would be restitution, not corporal punishment.

You know what the problem with it is, besides everything?

That you're equivocating?

:think:
:idunno:

Here’s another reason why it’s not equity in judgement. A person may put out your eye on accident.

Negligence resulting in the harm of others isn't a crime?

But when you give retribution of kind, you do it on purpose. You meant to do it.

First of all, it's not retribution.

That would be taking it upon yourself to punish someone who hurt you.

Eye for eye is a punishment for a crime handed down by a judge, not by the victim.

Ghandi said an eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

I'll ignore your appeal to authority for a moment just to say that Ghandi was no authority on morality.

He was a manipulative attention seeker who said he would harm himself if people didn't do what he said.

Why you'd use him as an example is beyond me...

Jesus said an eye for an eye should never be done

WRONG.

Jesus reaffirmed the Law:

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:17-20 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew5:17-20&version=NKJV

And the Law says:

But if any harm follows, then you shall give life for life,eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. - Exodus 21:23-25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus21:23-25&version=NKJV

and one should love not only ones neighbors, but also ones enemies.

And?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But you said that you follow the 10 commandments which includes seventh day sabbath keeping.

I did not say that I follow the ten commandments but still try not to break them, which is impossible. No I am not a 7th Day Adventist. I am non-denominational.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 NKJV - Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

I wonder if this includes people who have committed homosexual acts or those who are inclined toward homosexuality.

The Corinthian Church was the most corrupt in the ancient world. Now you tell me.

k0de

The Bible prescribed judicial action in response to actions, not "inclinations."
Alright. So what about the following v.11?

Isn't that Christ’s forgiveness and salvation?

"But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God."

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Alright. So what about the following v.11?

Isn't that Christ’s forgiveness and salvation?

"But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God."

No idea what you're talking about. :idunno:

How about you edit the post you just conceded was wrong?

Arthur Brain

WRONG.

Jesus reaffirmed the Law:

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:17-20 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew5:17-20&version=NKJV

And the Law says:

But if any harm follows, then you shall give life for life,eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. - Exodus 21:23-25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus21:23-25&version=NKJV

And?

Matthew 5:38-48 New International Version (NIV)

Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

k0de

Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

The law of retaliation Exodus 21-24 is contrasted here.

Also somebody else mentioned earlier that if it's an accident they should flee. That's is correct according Exodus21:13-14.

Exodus 21:13–14 (LEB): But if he did not lie in wait and it was an accident, I will appoint for you a place to which he may flee. But if a man schemes against his neighbor to kill him by treachery, you will take him from my altar to die.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Eye for Eye

And?

Not only did that NOT contradict nor repeal what the law said, He was also speaking of how to behave during the millennial kingdom, where He would rule with an iron rod, which, had things progressed as He had planned, would have began about 10 years from when He said that (He gave the sermon on the mount in the first year of His earthly ministry of three years, plus the seven year Time of Jacob's Trouble). He wasn't speaking of how one should live in day to day life, but rather life in the millennial kingdom, where justice would be almost immediate, because He would be watching.

No we are not under the Law but under grace

Christians aren't.

But the rest of the world needs the law. That includes the laws against and punishments for homosexuality, the death penalty.

Why are you stingy with thanks? Is it not customary to thank a poster around here for responding to your questions?

I’ve just noticed, that while I thank others, you people don’t thank back. Are Christians supposed to be stingy and judgemental?

Hypocrite.

Anyway, remember that huge post of yours you wanted me to respond to? I noticed that I asked you a question that you didn’t answer. It was one question but you asked me to respond to a post that could take 45 minutes of work. I’ll ask again. This time with less prose and extreme succinctness.

:blabla:

Do you pick and choose what you believe from the Bible? Do you accept some verses and incorporate them into your faith, but reject others if they don’t suit you?

I believe the whole Bible, and I don't reject any of it.

I let it say what it says within the context that it says it.

I never used the term pacifist.

I never said you did.

I don’t know why you’re attributing it to me.

Because the way you used "peacemaker" is the way one typically uses "pacifist."

No, he did not. He made it clear that eye for an eye was wrong,

See my post above.

as divorce was also and I already posted the verses.

Post number, please.

Your issue is with Jesus not me.

Considering you're going against what Jesus said, and since Jesus is God, I'm gonna stick with what Romans 3:4 says, "Let God be true and every man a liar..."

You are mistaken. The Babylonian Code precedes Moses by several hundred years. 750 if memory serves, and that has already been demonstrated in this thread.

Responding to this point needs to be in it's own thread, as it gets into when the Exodus happened.

I have shown it on at least three occasions in this thread.

Post numbers, please

Are you familiar with the term Gish Gallop? Please look it up.

I'm familiar with it.

That’s what you did to me with this post of yours that you asked me to respond to.

Sorry, that's not what a gish gallop is.

You have about two dozen different points and questions, seemingly intended to confuse the issue?

Not at all.

I'm not interested in confusing anyone. That would be counterproductive. I'm interested in bringing a conversation to fruition by navigating to what is true.

If you truly feel that you can't answer everything in one go, just say so when you respond, and I'll wait patiently for the rest of your response.

So, it's the middle of the night, your wife and three kids are asleep, and you wake up and hear noises coming from your kitchen. Someone has broken in and is in the process of foraging through your house for valuables. Do you get out your gun? Or do you go and have a conversation with the burglar?

To answer your question...according to Jesus,

See my previous post. Jesus upheld the law. I will provide the relevant law in a moment.

you resist not the evil person.

So, you'd go up and strike up a conversation with the man burglaring your house?

Ok, let's follow that line of thought for a moment (warning, graphic, though nothing explicit):

The burglar, pulls out his gun and shoots you, waking up your wife and children, who start crying. As you lay there, bleeding out, because you decided to "resist not an evil person," you're too weak to move, the burglar goes to your children's rooms and kill them, and then proceeds to drag your wife in front of you, then rapes and murders her with you watching, and then shoots you in the head, killing you.

All because you decided to "resist not an evil person."

So let's reset the scene here, and see what would have happened had you chosen differently:

So, it's the middle of the night, your wife and three kids are asleep, and you wake up and hear noises coming from your kitchen. Someone has broken in and is in the process of foraging through your house for valuables. Do you get out your gun? Or do you go and have a conversation with the burglar?

You choose to get out your gun that you have locked in your bedstand, wake up your wife, and have her first dial 911, then she goes to secure your children, after which you sneak downstairs, and catch the burglar by surprise, and, since he doesn't have his gun out, and you have one pointed at him, you are able to keep him where he is until the police arrive.

Turns out he's a wanted criminal with a rap sheet a mile long, guilty of crimes ranging from petty theft to rape and murder. An "evil person" whom you've just resisted.

So, I don't know about you, but I'd rather catch the criminal off guard with my gun out and pointing at him, than catch him on guard with my hands up.

Anyone attempting to kill me or my family gets killed now or I die trying.

Now you're saying you'd resist an evil person?

James 1:8 comes to mind...

Here's what the Law says about a criminal breaking into someone's house:

If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.If the sun has risen on him, there shall be guilt for his bloodshed. He should make full restitution; if he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft. - Exodus 22:2-3 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus22:2-3&version=NKJV

If God has an issue with that, I guess we’ll just have to work that one out at a later time.

PS. I will say that I did not answer every point in this post. If you think I missed something important, state it specifically and I will address it.

I typically copy/paste questions that I need answered, even if no other questions in the post are answered, at the end of my posts.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The law of retaliation Exodus 21-24 is contrasted here.

Also somebody else mentioned earlier that if it's an accident they should flee. That's is correct according Exodus21:13-14.

Exodus 21:13–14 (LEB): But if he did not lie in wait and it was an accident, I will appoint for you a place to which he may flee. But if a man schemes against his neighbor to kill him by treachery, you will take him from my altar to die.

Retaliation implies that it isn't the government punishing the criminal, but a victim taking revenge on the criminal.

The former is just, the latter is unjust.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Good work there Jacob for bringing "And such were some of you" to light. On that note I now think that only those who are inclined towards homosexuality are guilty of the death penalty.
Okay. But this is not just those who commit an homosexual act. However, homosexuality is a sin worthy of death. Calling it what it is. At what point can a person say, "I was a homosexual?" or would they even need to do so?