Is the Holy Spirit Female?

chair

No again you are not understanding. I'm saying that if you had the Holy Spirit inside you you would know that She is not an inanimate object.

Ah. OK.

That does not change the facts of Hebrew grammar. Even if I had the Holy Spirit inside me. Even if I thought that the Holy Spirit is a female person. I could not prove it from the Hebrew grammar of those texts. Nor can you.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Ah. OK.

That does not change the facts of Hebrew grammar. Even if I had the Holy Spirit inside me. Even if I thought that the Holy Spirit is a female person. I could not prove it from the Hebrew grammar of those texts. Nor can you.

1. Having the Holy Spirit tells the Christian that it is a person and not inanimate object as you believe.

2. The Hebrew Grammar tells Everyone the Holy Spirit is Female.

chair

1. Having the Holy Spirit tells the Christian that it is a person and not inanimate object as you believe.
I have repeatedly stated that I don't care one way or the other on the theological issue. It is a Christian issue.
It tells one misguided fellow that.
It apparently is impossible for you to face the facts on this one.

WatchmanOnTheWall

WatchmanOnTheWall:

Chair:
I have repeatedly stated that I don't care one way or the other on the theological issue. It is a Christian issue.

That is why you don't know that the Holy Spirit is a person and not an inanimate object.

WatchmanOnTheWall:

Chair:
It tells one misguided fellow that.
It apparently is impossible for you to face the facts on this one.

The Yod which translates to 'ni' means 'She' You have admitted this means She but strangely carry on contradicting yourself and scripture:

Job 33:4
עָ שָׂ תְ נִ י
oshth·ni
SHE made me

תְּ חַ יֵּנִ י
thchi·ni
SHE is keeping alive me

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/job33.pdf

chair

That is why you don't know that the Holy Spirit is a person and not an inanimate object.

The Yod which translates to 'ni' mean 'She' You have admitted this means She but strangely carry on contradicting yourself and scripture:

עָ שָׂ תְ נִ י
oshth·ni
SHE made me

תְּ חַ יֵּנִ י
thchi·ni
SHE is keeping alive me

Well, at least we are back to the topic, and not evading it.

Watchman, I will give this one last try. Let's take an example that is not loaded with theological importance. Say in French.

In French all objects have gender: "Every French noun has a grammatical gender, either masculine or feminine. "

This means that a table, chair and rock in French all have a gender. None of those items are really male or female- it is the way French is.

I think you will agree that when translating into English, one would usually not indicate the gender. However, in a linear translation, where you want to bring out the details of the language- you might want to indicate the gender. In a dictionary you might want to do that as well.

In Hebrew, all objects have gender. "Every noun in Hebrew has a gender, either masculine or feminine (or both); for example, סֵפֶר /ˈsefer/ (book) is masculine, while דֶּלֶת /ˈdelet/ (door) is feminine"

I think you will agree that when translating into English, one would usually not indicate the gender. However, in a linear translation, where you want to bring out the details of the language- you might want to indicate the gender. In a dictionary you might want to do that as well.

Got that so far? Good.

Now, getting back to the Bible. Let's take an example. One that doesn't have theological significance. Exodus 25 describes some of the items in the Tabernacle. I think you will agree that the Ark is not a person, and that it is not a male or female.

Let's take a look at your favorite translation.
http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/exo25.pdf

verse 10. if we look at the translation, on the right side of that page, it says
"And they shall make an
ark [of] shittim wood: two
cubits and a half [shall be]
the length thereof, and a
cubit and a half the breadth
thereof, and a cubit and a
half the height thereof."

No gender here. "Thereof" is used- completely neutral.

But the linear translation says this:
"and they make coffer of woods of acacias two cubits a half length of him and cubit and half width of him and cubit and half rise of him"

Him? Him?! Is the ark male? Is the ark a person?
According to your understanding of Hebrew grammar, the answer is "yes, the ark is a male person".

That is wrong. And that is why the normal translation doesn't include "him". The linear translation is very awkward, and it is meant to call your attention to the Hebrew structure of the verses- it doesn't even read properly in English. "woods of acacias"?

Now- don't jump on me for not having the Holy Spirit in me. And don't jump on me because you think I'm attacking your beliefs. I'm not- I really don't care what you believe about the Holy Spirit. Just pay attention to the facts.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Well, at least we are back to the topic, and not evading it.
It is you who is evading the issue
Watchman, I will give this one last try.
liar
Let's take an example that is not loaded with theological importance. Say in French.

In French all objects have gender: "Every French noun has a grammatical gender, either masculine or feminine. "

This means that a table, chair and rock in French all have a gender. None of those items are really male or female- it is the way French is.

In Hebrew, all objects have gender. "Every noun in Hebrew has a gender, either masculine or feminine (or both); for example, סֵפֶר /ˈsefer/ (book) is masculine, while דֶּלֶת /ˈdelet/ (door) is feminine"

What ever language you try to side step the issue with, it still say's She and not He. Got that,
good!
Now, getting back to the Bible.
You can't even see your own duplicitousness in how you think trying to use another language would make anyone think that would change the argument. You are so deluded
Let's take an example. One that doesn't have theological significance. Exodus 25 describes some of the items in the Tabernacle. I think you will agree that the Ark is not a person, and that it is not a male or female.
Side stepping again to another verse. We are not all as stupid as you.
Let's take a look at your favorite translation.
http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/exo25.pdf

verse 10. if we look at the translation, on the right side of that page, it says
"And they shall make an
ark [of] shittim wood: two
cubits and a half [shall be]
the length thereof, and a
cubit and a half the breadth
thereof, and a cubit and a
half the height thereof."

No gender here. "Thereof" is used- completely neutral.

But the linear translation says this:
"and they make coffer of woods of acacias two cubits a half length of him and cubit and half width of him and cubit and half rise of him"

Him? Him?! Is the ark male? Is the ark a person?
How old are you? A wooden box is not a person.
According to your understanding of Hebrew grammar, the answer is "yes, the ark is a male person".
Putting words in your opponents mouth must be the only way you could win an argument in your imagination.
That is wrong. And that is why the normal translation doesn't include "him". The linear translation is very awkward,
Only for you and your delusion
and it is meant to call your attention to the Hebrew structure of the verses- it doesn't even read properly in English. "woods of acacias"?

Now- don't jump on me for not having the Holy Spirit in me. And don't jump on me because you think I'm attacking your beliefs. I'm not- I really don't care what you believe about the Holy Spirit. Just pay attention to the facts.
The fact is you are a duplicitous, disingenuous, liar.

עָ שָׂ תְ נִ י
oshth·ni
SHE made me

תְּ חַ יֵּנִ י
thchi·ni
SHE is keeping alive me

Read it and weep for your delusion.

TestedandTried

You have mistakenly thought that this is my own personal translation when in fact I can not read Hebrew or Greek. What I have presented is a recognised translation called the Interlinear Bible. If you have not heard of this then you should know that it is the word for word translation of the Hebrew and Greek. All the other translations you are probably more used to are the more paraphrased translations. Look at this chart and you will see what this means:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...UICigB&biw=1280&bih=908#imgrc=3z3DZA42FMIHrM:

The actual pronouns used for the Holy Spirit when translated from the Hebrew is She:

עָ שָׂ תְ נִ י
oshth·ni
SHE made me

תְּ חַ יֵּנִ י
thchi·ni
SHE is keeping alive me

Was in fact mistaken in that I did believe this to be your personal interpretation going into the Greek/Hebrew on your own with a dictionary. I do have a Greek/Hebrew/English Interlinear Bible as well and know of which you speak.
The standpoint I still come from is very simply that I do trust the English Bible translators...of an excellent translation such as the NIV 1984 and the like. They have the language expertise. Surely they wouldn't have Jesus Christ referring to the Holy Spirit as He if the Bible said otherwise. I see that the matter of the use of SHE is cleared up in explanatory introduction and is referring to the following noun. I didn't research that but other here have stated this. I believe it best to hold to the age old Truths of the Bible firmly until there is some supposed proof positive evidence to the contrary.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Was in fact mistaken in that I did believe this to be your personal interpretation going into the Greek/Hebrew on your own with a dictionary. I do have a Greek/Hebrew/English Interlinear Bible as well and know of which you speak.
The standpoint I still come from is very simply that I do trust the English Bible translators...of an excellent translation such as the NIV 1984 and the like. They have the language expertise. Surely they wouldn't have Jesus Christ referring to the Holy Spirit as He if the Bible said otherwise. I see that the matter of the use of SHE is cleared up in explanatory introduction and is referring to the following noun. I didn't research that but other here have stated this. I believe it best to hold to the age old Truths of the Bible firmly until there is some supposed proof positive evidence to the contrary.

The NIV like all NT testament translations are from the original Greek and if you read the OP (which is a must when posting) you would learn that the original Greek NT does not translate Holy Spirit into male or female but neuter. I did the same as you when I first looked into this and saw Jesus call the Holy Spirit 'He' in my NIV but when I learnt about the original Greek (and Hebrew) I realised the truth of the matter:

עָ שָׂ תְ נִ י
oshth·ni
SHE made me

תְּ חַ יֵּנִ י
thchi·ni
SHE is keeping alive me

TestedandTried

The NIV like all NT testament translations are from the original Greek and if you read the OP (which is a must when posting) you would learn that the original Greek NT does not translate Holy Spirit into male or female but neuter. I did the same as you when I first looked into this and saw Jesus call the Holy Spirit 'He' in my NIV but when I learnt about the original Greek (and Hebrew) I realised the truth of the matter:

עָ שָׂ תְ נִ י
oshth·ni
SHE made me

תְּ חַ יֵּנִ י
thchi·ni
SHE is keeping alive me

Yes, I've been aware that the Bible is translated from the original (as possible) Greek and Hebrew...since about 3rd grade. I was saying that I do trust those translation which are made from the Greek and Hebrew into English for us. Also, I did understand your point...now more fully. I still say I will leave the translation to the formal translators. Other proofs that the Holy Spirit is HE or male may well exist and I pray you will have this revealed to you as you cry out for wisdom in this matter.
God is HE and so I believe this necessitates that Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all HE as well. Woman is the weaker sex...more susceptible to temptation says Scripture, the weaker sex. It would be improbable that the Holy Spirit would be of the weaker sex when it is He that if sinned against carries the penalty of having committed the unpardonable sin.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
See how they add the word "she" to their translation of "ground" in Genesis 3:17-19. I think you will admit than "ground" is not really a "she"- it is just the way Hebrew grammar is.
True.
As "land" in Hebrew would grammatically be in the feminine, but land is neither male nor female.

Wick Stick

True.
As "land" in Hebrew would grammatically be in the feminine, but land is neither male nor female.
Not a believer in mother earth, eh?

Just kidding. This guy is just being stubborn now. He's been proven wrong so many times already in this thread, there's not much point in continuing to refute him.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Yes, I've been aware that the Bible is translated from the original (as possible) Greek and Hebrew...since about 3rd grade. I was saying that I do trust those translation which are made from the Greek and Hebrew into English for us.
Unless you can speak Greek or Hebrew then you are saying you do not trust the Bible at all.
Also, I did understand your point...now more fully. I still say I will leave the translation to the formal translators.
Who are these 'formal' translators? And for that matter who are the informal translators? :chuckle:
Other proofs that the Holy Spirit is HE or male may well exist and I pray you will have this revealed to you as you cry out for wisdom in this matter.
No they don't exist and if you just do a tiny bit more study (or just read the OP) you would know that.
God is HE and so I believe this necessitates that Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all HE as well.
God the father and His son are He of course because that is what the Hebrew and Greek texts state, but as said the Hebrew text states the Holy Spirit is female and the Greek uses neuter pronouns.
Woman is the weaker sex...more susceptible to temptation says Scripture, the weaker sex.
Citation please
It would be improbable that the Holy Spirit would be of the weaker sex when it is He that if sinned against carries the penalty of having committed the unpardonable sin.
Your use of the word 'improbable' just shows you are not sure of your position. You either believe the words in the Bible or you don't.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Not a believer in mother earth, eh?

Just kidding. This guy is just being stubborn now. He's been proven wrong so many times already in this thread, there's not much point in continuing to refute him.

The pronoun SHE is use every time in the original Hebrew scriptures when describing the Holy Spirit, while the New Testament Greek only used non-gender pronouns and never calls the Holy Spirit He. There are 40 examples in the OP, here is just two:

עָ שָׂ תְ נִ י
oshth·ni
SHE made me

תְּ חַ יֵּנִ י
thchi·ni
SHE is keeping alive me

WatchmanOnTheWall

The pronoun SHE is use every time in the original Hebrew scriptures when describing the Holy Spirit, while the New Testament Greek only used non-gender pronouns and never calls the Holy Spirit He. There are 40 examples in the OP, here is just two:

עָ שָׂ תְ נִ י
oshth·ni
SHE made me

תְּ חַ יֵּנִ י
thchi·ni
SHE is keeping alive me

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
By that logic you are also calling the Holy Spirit an inanimate object, which She isn't.
That's a silly thing to say, since 'land' is only GRAMMATICALLY feminine but is neither a female or a male.
Same with "rock", it is GRAMMATICALLY feminine but is neither a female or a male.
Our Lord Jesus Christ is said to be a "rock".
So by your logic Jesus was a female.

The word 'children' is GRAMMATICALLY masculine.
By your messed up logic, all the children of Israel were males and there were no females.

You shouldn't make such a mistake as to think that a word that is GRAMMATICALLY masculine or feminine means it is a male or a female.
That is just not how it works.