Is the Holy Spirit Female?

WatchmanOnTheWall

Welcome Tiger 2

Your's is the best response and retort I've had here:

Chair replied to Tambora:

You are both absolutely correct about the Hebrew grammar, of course!

If Holy Spirit had been a mature person instead of a thing, it would have been in either the masculine or the feminine in both Hebrew and NT Greek!

For example, 'woman,' ' 'mother,' 'goddess,' 'maiden,' 'maidservant,' 'princess,' etc. are in the feminine gender in BOTH the NT and the OT.

And 'God,' 'man,' 'priest,' 'prophet,' 'father,' 'prince,' etc. are in the masculine gender in BOTH the OT and the NT.

But holy spirit is in the feminine gender in the OT (which has no neuter gender and most often uses the feminine gender instead).
You mean when there is no gender the OT 'usually' uses a feminine gender but not always! This there for begs the question why didn't they use a masculine gender? (I don't know the answer to this, but do you?)
Furthermore the NT Greek does use a neuter gender. And since 'holy spirit' in the NT is in the neuter gender, it means that it cannot be a mature person, but is something: A force or energy which God uses in numerous ways.

I used to believe this but since discovering this gender issue I am not 100% sure. The purpose of this thread is to try and tease out what is really going on and you have given me food for thought. But as the Greek uses neuter for the Holy Spirit which classes it as not mature does this mean it is labelling it as a child or young woman (like Mary was when she conceived)? rather than a 'thing'? Is there a way of knowing this from the text?

WatchmanOnTheWall

I do not limit, confine or subscribe 'God' to the definitions of Orthodox Christian creed or dogmas, or any particular religious definition necessarily.....since the Infinite cannot be so sub-scribed.

What I set forth in my commentary on the 'Father-Mother-God', or the feminine aspect of Deity is according to universal energy, principle, concept and nature, as both 'male' and 'female' interact within Creation.

A Trinity of Father-Mother-Son within this context is rational to include in its comprehension, without one having to hold to a traditional-orthodox concept of 'The Trinity' as christian creeds define it, neither a dogmatic insistence for defining each aspect of the Godhead as 'persons' necessarily. I've detailed the various aspects, nuances and dimensions of 'personality' as God expresses his character/nature personally in relationships, and in other ways seemingly non-personal in the cosmos. Therefore there are BOTH 'personal' and 'non-personal' aspects of 'God' within Creation while anything 'personal' is something that is experienced between personalities.

Otherwise, I've held a more Unitarian monotheistic or monist theology, more panentheistic, but all aspects of God and the male and female qualities of soul and spirit are experienced personally, thru aspects of 'personality', so...this can include a more creedal definition of 'The Trinity' of Orthodox Christianity, as well as a more liberal inclusion of the divine feminine within a trinity of Father-Mother-Son, the Holy Spirit representing the feminine or 'divine Mother' aspect of God.

As being more of a theosophist, I recognize the universal laws and principles of gender within the Creator and Creation. I would not push the Holy Spirit as being a female 'person' dogmatically, but only recognize God as being a Father and Mother to all creation, honoring the glory of God and respecting God's nature and parenting of creation as such. I would extend beyond orthodoxy, and see the divine feminine within both Judaism and Christianity, as Sophia (Wisdom), the Shekinah (indwelling presence), Holy Spirit. Our worship of God inherently must include the whole of God, all of God's being, qualities, nature, attributes, in their pure essence, no matter how such qualities are personified.

Thanks for that.

Just before I became a Christian I had a very similar belief 'structure'. I had gone through quite a journey from birth:

Agnostic.
Faith based Christian.
Agnostic.
Atheist.
Agnostic.
Pantheist.
Monotheist.
Evidence based Christian.
Born again Christian.
Total Bible believing Christian.
Water baptised Christian.
Divine Purpose Driven Christian.

I hope you receive the relation you need to become a believer.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Universal Matrix...............

Universal Matrix...............

Thanks for that.

Just before I became a Christian I had a very similar belief 'structure'. I had gone through quite a journey from birth:

Agnostic.
Faith based Christian.
Agnostic.
Atheist.
Agnostic.
Pantheist.
Monotheist.
Evidence based Christian.
Born again Christian.
Total Bible believing Christian.
Water baptised Christian.
Divine Purpose Driven Christian.

I hope you receive the relation you need to become a believer.

Thank you,.....some of my journey is listed in my bio on my profile page :) - other links in my signature, and like to get some of my blogs and portal sites a bit organized. The subject of the 'divine feminine' is most wonderful, - I've tried to segway some of the posts here with my former posts on the 'divine Mother' (I'd catagorize it under 'divine Mother' probably, or extending into a more liberal neo-pagan nuance, under 'The Goddess'.

The revelation of 'God' in my life includes the 'Christ-tradition' and more,... its universal, eclectic, all-inclusive, integral. At the heart, as a spiritualist, my sub-title of 'Eclectic Theosophist' sums me up well, but thats only having roots in the ancient wisdom traditions and esoteric science schools, while being 'free' to explore, study and research wherever my souls feels the draw of Spirit.

My aim here in my writings so far, like all my commentary is to expound and exposit facets, dimensions and features I feel are pertinent to the feminine aspect of God, hence my general subject-heading of 'Deity and Gender' covers the context of the Mother in Creation. I think its great that an religionist recognize the truth of God in his masculine and feminine personifications, since Deity is the Parenting-Presence. Otherwise, all for me is a matter of engaging 'creative dialogue', enjoying the intercourse of sharing logos. Besides a more serious scholarly approach, I try to inject some humor from time to time, or play a little with some of the more rigid fundamentalist on the forum, who cant see the forest for the trees :)

~*~*~

For those interested some comments from an eastern religious tradition perspective:

I also draw from the eastern religious traditions and their veneration of the divine feminine, particularly from Sanatana Dharma (Vedic culture), the Mahadevi (Great Mother), and more recently the great saint/avatar Anandamayi Ma, and her universal teachings. She passed away in the early 80's, and during her life was respected as an incarnation of the divine Mother (Ma), - embodying/expressing those qualities and attributes of a 'blissful mother'. A beautiful video of older film footage and song honoring 'Ma' is here. Another commentary with a video meditation/song honoring 'Devi', within the sanskrit language is here. (one of my former understudies is Hinduism, so I resonate with some of its schools, holding the philosophical essence of 'yoga' at the heart, being the soul's union with Spirit).

I include the fullness of the 'divine Mother' from both east and western religious traditions. In dissertations on the universal Mother in general, I'd include the various Goddess archetypes and traditions for another thread-idea. Respecting your thread, we'll focus on the Holy Spirit and the divine feminine within the Judeo-christian tradition. As shared earlier from an apocryphal gospel, Jesus called the Holy Spirit his mother, while another record indicates the 'fount of the Holy Spirit' coming upon Jesus, and the Spirit saying "This is my beloved Son". God the Spirit is the begetter(father) and birther(mother) of all.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Thank you,.....some of my journey is listed in my bio on my profile page :) - other links in my signature, and like to get some of my blogs and portal sites a bit organized. The subject of the 'divine feminine' is most wonderful, - I've tried to segway some of the posts here with my former posts on the 'divine Mother' (I'd catagorize it under 'divine Mother' probably, or extending into a more liberal neo-pagan nuance, under 'The Goddess'.

The revelation of 'God' in my life includes the 'Christ-tradition' and more,... its universal, eclectic, all-inclusive, integral. At the heart, as a spiritualist, my sub-title of 'Eclectic Theosophist' sums me up well, but thats only having roots in the ancient wisdom traditions and esoteric science schools, while being 'free' to explore, study and research wherever my souls feels the draw of Spirit.

My aim here in my writings so far, like all my commentary is to expound and exposit facets, dimensions and features I feel are pertinent to the feminine aspect of God, hence my general subject-heading of 'Deity and Gender' covers the context of the Mother in Creation. I think its great that an religionist recognize the truth of God in his masculine and feminine personifications, since Deity is the Parenting-Presence. Otherwise, all for me is a matter of engaging 'creative dialogue', enjoying the intercourse of sharing logos. Besides a more serious scholarly approach, I try to inject some humor from time to time, or play a little with some of the more rigid fundamentalist on the forum, who cant see the forest for the trees :)

~*~*~

For those interested some comments from an eastern religious tradition perspective:

I also draw from the eastern religious traditions and their veneration of the divine feminine, particularly from Sanatana Dharma (Vedic culture), the Mahadevi (Great Mother), and more recently the great saint/avatar Anandamayi Ma, and her universal teachings. She passed away in the early 80's, and during her life was respected as an incarnation of the divine Mother (Ma), - embodying/expressing those qualities and attributes of a 'blissful mother'. A beautiful video of older film footage and song honoring 'Ma' is here. Another commentary with a video meditation/song honoring 'Devi', within the sanskrit language is here. (one of my former understudies is Hinduism, so I resonate with some of its schools, holding the philosophical essence of 'yoga' at the heart, being the soul's union with Spirit).

I include the fullness of the 'divine Mother' from both east and western religious traditions. In dissertations on the universal Mother in general, I'd include the various Goddess archetypes and traditions for another thread-idea. Respecting your thread, we'll focus on the Holy Spirit and the divine feminine within the Judeo-christian tradition. As shared earlier from an apocryphal gospel, Jesus called the Holy Spirit his mother, while another record indicates the 'fount of the Holy Spirit' coming upon Jesus, and the Spirit saying "This is my beloved Son". God the Spirit is the begetter(father) and birther(mother) of all.

What do you think about Jesus?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Ever a meta-theist........

Ever a meta-theist........

What do you think about Jesus?

:)

I think it best if we stick to the Holy Spirit as the feminine aspect of God for this thread? -

Besides the biblical presentation of the personality named 'Jesus', and many other opinions about the person (as many 'versions' of Jesus as there are bible 'versions'), one can see my other commentaries on the subject (I think the 'post archives' for each post go back to the last 100 posts). - I often do add to the various 'Jesus is God' or 'Trinitarian vs. Unitarian' threads, at least some....although this subject is 'old hat',...and on this issue I'd refer to Bart Ehrman's 'How Jesus became God' book as a basic primer on this. In the final analysis Jesus is who you make him out to be, as far as your own 'belief' or 'perception' is concerned.

TO ME, as explained many times elsewhere, it matters not whether one is a 'Unitarian' or 'Trinitarian' believer, as this doctrinal perspective may not effect one's salvation or ability to serve God in the least, and be simply a provisional feature of one's theology. I just commented on this in one of my previous posts here (see my following posts as well). Since I come from a greater universal and transcendental view, I will admit to playing with the fundagelicals on this by positing my usual Unitarian perspective as a classical monotheist (which is mostly Unitarian by the way), and in my more liberal meta-perspective within a 'monist' world-view, which is more pantheistic.

WatchmanOnTheWall

:)

I think it best if we stick to the Holy Spirit as the feminine aspect of God for this thread? -

Besides the biblical presentation of the personality named 'Jesus', and many other opinions about the person (as many 'versions' of Jesus as there are bible 'versions'), one can see my other commentaries on the subject (I think the 'post archives' for each post go back to the last 100 posts). - I often do add to the various 'Jesus is God' or 'Trinitarian vs. Unitarian' threads, at least some....although this subject is 'old hat',...and on this issue I'd refer to Bart Ehrman's 'How Jesus became God' book as a basic primer on this. In the final analysis Jesus is who you make him out to be, as far as your own 'belief' or 'perception' is concerned.

TO ME, as explained many times elsewhere, it matters not whether one is a 'Unitarian' or 'Trinitarian' believer, as this doctrinal perspective may not effect one's salvation or ability to serve God in the least, and be simply a provisional feature of one's theology. I just commented on this in one of my previous posts here (see my following posts as well). Since I come from a greater universal and transcendental view, I will admit to playing with the fundagelicals on this by positing my usual Unitarian perspective as a classical monotheist (which is mostly Unitarian by the way), and in my more liberal meta-perspective within a 'monist' world-view, which is more pantheistic.

Yes your right I mustn't wonder to far from the OP, I only did that because of its importance to you personally but I will not attempt to witness to you. I was merely clarifying your salvation status. But you do need jesus. :) Sorry I couldn't help myself but it's fundamental and absolute in its importance.

Tigger 2

Watchman:
But as the Greek uses neuter for the Holy Spirit which classes it as not mature does this mean it is labelling it as a child or young woman (like Mary was when she conceived)? rather than a 'thing'? Is there a way of knowing this from the text?

It is much less likely that the HS, which has been around for at least billions of years, is an immature person. Since the Hebrew uses the feminine gender for females and neuter (things), and the Greek uses the neuter gender for things and very young persons/animals, the reasonable conclusion is that the HS is a thing (power, force, etc). It is extremely unlikely that the HS is an immature female (girl).

Is it ever given pronouns in English Bible translations indicating that it is feminine ('she,' 'her,' 'herself,' 'hers')?

I believe that the HS in the earliest Christian writings was always referred to as an 'it' or a 'he,' but never 'she.'

With the possible exception of HS, it is not difficult to understand the sex of a person in Scripture. Even those persons in heaven (who are sexless) are given a masculine gender (angels, God, the Son, the Father, etc.) by the writers of scripture.

There is every reason to accept the HS as a thing, not a little girl.

As for Mary, before she became pregnant, she was called a virgin (Luke 1:27) This word is in the feminine gender and feminine pronouns are used for her. So she obviously was considered a mature person even then.

Last edited:

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Watchman:

It is much less likely that the HS, which has been around for at least billions of years, is an immature person. Since the Hebrew uses the feminine gender for neuter (things), and the Greek uses the neuter gender for things and very young persons/animals, the reasonable conclusion is that the HS is a thing (power, force, etc). It is extremely unlikely that the HS is an immature female (girl).

Is it ever given pronouns indicating that it is feminine ('she,' 'her,' 'herself,' 'hers')?

I believe that the HS in the earliest Christian writings was always referred to as an 'it' or a 'he,' but never 'she.'

With the possible exception of HS, it is not difficult to understand the sex of a person in Scripture. Even those persons in heaven (who are sexless) are given a masculine gender (angels, God, the Son, the Father, etc.) by the writers of scripture.

There is every reason to accept the HS as a thing, not a little girl.

Isn't the HS the Spirit? Do they produce babies? I don't think so. So there is no gender.

Bee1

The pronoun SHE is use every time in the original Hebrew scriptures when describing the Holy Spirit, while the New Testament Greek only used non-gender pronouns and never calls the Holy Spirit He.

As it says in Luke the Holy Spirit together with God the Father over shadowed Mary when Jesus was conceived.

Is the Holy Spirit the Mother of Jesus and as the Bride of Christ are we the perfect family?

When God said 'let US make man in OUR IMAGE' whose image was Eve made from?

Here are 40 examples from the Old Testament of the Holy Spirit being called a SHE:

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm

Numbers 11:26 and SHE is resting on them the spirit and they in ones being written

Numbers 24:2 And Balaam lifted up his eyes and he saw Israel abiding according to their tribes and the spirit of God came upon him to tribes of him and SHE is becoming on him spirit of Elohim

Judges 3:10 and SHE is becoming on him spirit of Yahweh and he is judging Israel

Judges 6:34 and spirit of Yahweh SHE clothed Gideon

Judges 11:29 and SHE is becoming on Jephthah spirit of Yahweh

Judges 13:25 and SHE is starting spirit of Yahweh to agitate him in Camp of Dan

Judges 14:6 and SHE is prospering on him spirit of Yahweh

Judges 14:19 and SHE is prospering on him spirit of Yahweh and he is going down Ashkelon

1 Samuel 10:6 and SHE prospers over you spirit of Yahweh and you prophesy with them

1 Samuel 10:10 and behold line of prophets to meet of him and SHE is prospering on him spirit of Elohim and he is prophesying in midst of them

1 Samuel 11:6 and SHE is prospering spirit of Elohim over Saul to hear of him

1 Samuel 16:13 and SHE is prospering spirit of Yahweh to David from the day he and on ward and he is rising Samuel and he is going the Ramah ward 14 and spirit of Yahweh SHE withdrew from with Saul and SHE frightened him spirit evil from with Yahweh

1 Samuel 19:20 and SHE is becoming on messengers of Saul spirit of Elohim

1 Samuel 19:23 and he [Saul] is going there to Naioth in the Ramah and SHE is becoming on him moreover he spirit of Elohim and he is going to go and he is prophesying

1 Chronicles 12:18 and spirit SHE clothed Amasai head of the thirty

2 Chronicles 24:20 and spirit of Elohim SHE was put on Zechariah son of Jehoiada the priest

Job 26:13 in spirit of him heavens seemly SHE travailed hand of him serpent fugitive

Job 33:4 spirit of El SHE made me and breath of Who Suffices SHE is keeping alive me

Psalm143:10 teach you me to do of approval of you that you Elohim of me spirit of you good SHE shall guide me in land of upright

Isaiah 11:2 and SHE rests on him spirit Yahweh spirit of wisdom and understanding spirit of counsel

Isaiah 40:7 he dries up grass he decays blossom that spirit of Yahweh SHE reverses in him surely grass the people

Isaiah 59:19 and from sunrise of sun glory of him that he shall come as the stream foe spirit of Yahweh SHE makes flee

Ezekiel 2:2 and SHE is coming in me spirit as which he speaks to me and SHE is standing me on feet of me and I am hearing one speaking to me

Ezekiel 3:12 and SHE is lifting me spirit and I am hearing behind me sound of quaking great being glory of Yahweh place of him

Ezekiel 3:14 and spirit SHE lifts up me and she is taking me and I am going bitter in fury spirit of me and hand of Yahweh on me unyielding

Ezekiel 3:22 and SHE is becoming on me there hand of Yahweh and he is saying to me rise you

Ezekiel 3:24 and SHE is coming in me spirit and SHE is standing me on feet of me

Ezekiel 8:3 and SHE is lifting me spirit between the earth and between the heavens and SHE is bringing me Jerusalem ward

Ezekiel 11:1 and SHE is lifting up me spirit and SHE is bringing me gate of house of Yahweh

Ezekiel 11:5 and SHE is falling on me spirit Yahweh

Ezekiel 11:24 and spirit SHE lifts up me and SHE is bringing me Chaldea ward

Ezekiel 37:1 SHE becomes on me hand of Yahweh and he is bringing forth me in spirit of Yahweh

Ezekiel 43:5 and SHE is lifting me spirit and she is bringing me to the court the inner and behold he fills glory of Yahweh the house
Are you serious, we can't agree that the man (Jesus) even existed and now you want to throw gasoline on a fire by even hinting anything about feminism in the Bible . Remember the Inquisition , the Roman Catholic Church severely reduced the female population for thoughts such as yours. Not saying that you are wrong but far stretch for me.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Truth must be shared..........

Truth must be shared..........

Are you serious, we can't agree that the man (Jesus) even existed and now you want to throw gasoline on a fire by even hinting anything about feminism in the Bible . Remember the Inquisition , the Roman Catholic Church severely reduced the female population for thoughts such as yours. Not saying that you are wrong but far stretch for me.

Hi Bee1,

It is a truth of nature that both qualities/attributes of gender are intrinsic to life as such relate synergistically in creation, the very soul of man reflecting that dual marriage of the two mirroring Deity. I cover this in my first post here and in subsequent posts in the thread, see related links as well.

The reality of nature, metaphysically speaking, includes the integrity of God as both Father and Mother...therefore perfect worship of God cannot be afforded without such knowledge.

We are addressing whether Jesus was a real historical or mythical personality here. (My opening post reviving the 'Was Jesus real?' Thread). This question has little bearing however on the truth of gender in nature, qualities intrinsic to soul and spirit. The title of referring to Deity as 'Father-Mother-God' is logical and natural. Deity as Creator both fathers and mothers creation. This is a fact of nature, regardless of one's theology. To neglect or ignore our spiritual mother is a sin because universal law includes respect for both mother and father.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you."

- Exodus 20

WatchmanOnTheWall

Thanks, that was funny. :)

God's Truth

Jesus is the Holy Spirit.

God's Truth

The scriptures say plainly that the Lord is the Spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

2 Corinthians 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

All these scriptures tell us Jesus is the Spirit.

Revelation 2:7, 8, 11, 17, 29; 3:6, 13, 22; 14:13; 22:17.

1 Corinthians 15:45 So it is written: The first man Adam became a living being; the last Adam became a life-giving Spirit.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Commentary on critique video.........

Commentary on critique video.........

Blasphemy

Have listened to most of this presentation, and does have some good material expounding on the Sophia, divine feminine archetype from those expositors of the teaching, however his own critique I dont totally agree with as I dont find his dogmatic assumption of only going by the canonized books as convincing, neither do I agree with his assessment in rejecting all things 'gnostic', - I find his aversion towards 'mystery school teachings' or 'esoterics' funny, as much of Paul's teaching is just that! - mostly allegorical, which is why many gnostic schools hold Paul as their original teacher, as passing down some of the secret teachings, as the Valentinian school did. - remember Paul never met a physical Jesus, his was just a visionary experience. - hence his entire approach to scripture for the most part is 'alleogrical'.

My former commentary on the feminine aspects of Deity and 'God and gender' in general holds, since you cannot really honor or respect 'God' without respecting the dual aspects of gender and sex thru-out creation, which are born out of the very NATURE of THE CREATOR. Hence it is logical and proper, besides purely natural, to worship the Creator as 'Father-Mother'. As far as those going further to emphasize or recognize the Holy Spirit as being the feminine aspect or personified expression of God, also relating to the feminine 'Sophia' and the 'Shekinah',....I see nothing wrong with such, as there is both a 'God' and a 'Goddess' (archetypically speaking) in the matrix of Creation, since there can be NO creation without these two engaging in intercourse,.....again....a truth revealed in nature itself ! (therefore this is a scientific truth, as creation itself in man's own experience involved both male and female). If you want to be so ignorant as to call this 'blasphemous' that is your own mistake. The very creation involves and evolves within the two engaging gender-principles of 'masculine' and 'feminine'.

As we consider Deity in its most trascendent absolute essence of BEING, it transcends all distinctions, dualities, qualities, attributes, gender, form, name, etc. IT JUST IS. It is beyond name, form, description. However, when we extend out into the realm of creation, there the dual qualities and elements of engaging creation begin and continue on thru-out the rounds of creation, thru-out the evolution of life, in all worlds in space and time, involving the two co-creative genders. Again, these are facts of nature, relative truths involved in the creative process. God is BOTH fathering and mothering the whole of creation. There is no other Father-Mother existing, because 'God' is ONE. 'Male' and 'female' inhere in this divine unity as dual aspects of that original Monad.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
The Psyche of God reflected as dual creativity.......

The Psyche of God reflected as dual creativity.......

Jesus is the Holy Spirit.

This is so absurd except to a curious gymnnastics of metaphysics or Christological wordplay.

You either respect that father and mother principle within creation or you ignore and reject nature herself, which is the physical or creative habit pattern of the invisible God, reflecting itself in all life expressions. As we shared earlier from an apocryphal gospel,....Jesus called the Holy Spirit his mother, and that voice from above that said "this is my beloved Son", is from the Holy Spirit according some traditions. Since Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit, he cannot be that Spirit itself.

The Spirit of God itself, is wholly incorporeal, no matter what form one may assume the Spirit can assume, enter, fill or permeate, which is why much Christological discussion is but a round of metaphysical word play especially when considering Jesus human and divine nature. Its just a play of ratios, in a sea of creedal formulas and preferred dogma. Some 'formulas' may be more tenable than others, but cherry pick as you please.

However in our commentary here on the Spirit in her feminine qualities and attributes, these hold, in as much there actually is a co-creative and co-operation of gender interplay, revealing the creative powers and potencies in God and Man, since BOTH are reflections of one another.

~*~*~

There is still a wonderful history and study of 'The Goddess' and goddess archetypes and personalities thru-out human history that are but reflections of the psyche of God and Man, expressing the qualities and attributes of the 'feminine' or 'female' nature. Again, we come back to universal principles, the metaphysical qualities behind creation and all creative forms. In the cosmic whole there is only the 'Creator' and 'Creation', hence both are relections of one another, and it could not be otherwise.