Is the coronavirus God's punishment?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I'm sort of surprised someone hasn't broached this subject already. There are some who seem to think that anything that happens comes directly from the hand of God, and if that something is bad, then it must be a punishment. I remember when 9/11 happened, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell came out of the woodwork to say that God had withdrawn his hand of protection from America and allowed terrorists to attack us because of abortion and homosexuality.

So, is the coronavirus God's judgement against America for its sins, yes or no?

Right Divider

Body part
I'm sort of surprised someone hasn't broached this subject already. There are some who seem to think that anything that happens comes directly from the hand of God, and if that something is bad, then it must be a punishment. I remember when 9/11 happened, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell came out of the woodwork to say that God had withdrawn his hand of protection from America and allowed terrorists to attack us because of abortion and homosexuality.

No

oatmeal

No, it is not.

Man brings upon himself the evil with which he is surrounded.

When we violate God's laws, we suffer.

For instance, the physical law of gravity. if Joe decides he is going to jump off the roof of a barn and injures himself, was it God that actively punished Joe for being stupid?

Absolutely not.

For that matter, did God passively punish Joe? No, absolutely not

Joe brought upon himself the hurt he received.

He ignored the law of gravity and caused the harm to himself.

Of course, God does and has the right to claim that he created that law of gravity, but that law of gravity was not created to punish people but to hold matter together and therefore to keep our feet on the ground so we just do not float away

Likewise, when Adam and Eve sinned and basically handed over the dominion over the earth to God's archenemy, the perfection and safety in the garden was lost.

Now, the Devil, the serpent perverst the perfection and goodness of God's works into deterioration and decay and ruin harmful to God's works.

Note that thorns and thistles and other negatives did not exist until man obeyed God's enemy. God enemy then introduced all those negatives

Bradley D

It has been prophesied. If the world lived according to Christ it would be a much different world. But we know that will not be.

"From early times the prophets who preceded you and me have prophesied war, disaster and plague against many countries and great kingdoms" (Jer. 28:8).

Arthur Brain

Fair question. Some here thought that Trump's election at the time was because of divine decree although that probably falls under the more Calvinist remit. It's always someone who isn't the victim of such (at the time anyway) who state this sort of garbage usually.

Right Divider

Body part
2Co 5:19 KJV To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
At the present time God is not punishing sin.
When the body of Christ is complete and removed from the earth.... look out!

6days

Sickness, disease, genetic problems and death are a result of sin, and our rejection of our Creator. A perfect creation has been corrupted. bacteria and viruses were designed to serve beneficial purposes. However, some bacteria and viruses have become harmful. For a more complete answer regarding coronavirus... https://creation.com/wuhan-coronavirus

eider

Against America? Just America? What about Lanzarotte? Or Wales? :)
At any rate....... not a punishment, but as a result of not keeping the laws of Moses. Yes.
Please let me explain.
I often turn through these laws and am always surprised by new discoveries about how each one was an essential condition for success. I've come to realise that each and every one of these laws was essential for the wellbeing, safety, security, health, cohesion, increase and strength of the Israelite people. There are no exceptions. None.
Snatch any one law at random and then see for yourself....... one or more of the above conditions will be fulfilled by keeping the law that you selected.
Here........
The unclean fish law (Lev. 11:11) forbade the eating of scaleless fish. Scale-less fish feed on carrion, and thus can collect infections. It was a sin to eat the great smooth skinned catfish of Gennesaret and I reckon that these often got snagged in the boatmen's nets, all they could do was wait for a blow, (keeping the customs boats ashore) and run over to the Gadarenes to sell them to the pagans there. Why else would they have gone there? The forbidding of Shellfish also makes sense and even today shelfish poison paralysis is deadly. And so some sin leads to sickness, which reduces the people, which reduces their strength in numbers.
One more at random:-
Fringes on clothing (Num. 15:38). So why would it be a such a bad sin to disobey this? Easy! The Israelites were surrounded with deadly enemies. Did these other tribes have fringes? No. For anybody to wander in to an Israelite camp wearing the wrong clothing was death, no questions asked, probably. It's all about uniformity.
And so it goes on.......
America hasn't caught covid-19 because it throws drunken parties or supports same sex partnerships, it caught the virus because it did not secure its borders (in the first instance). The Israelites secured their borders from all but virgin (healthy) girls. No Covid-19 would have strayed amongst the Israelites! Nope.
Another:- Not to protect your flat roofs with parapets caused injuries, injuries reduce the people..... every law you see is there for a stronger people. Christians just got hung up with a very few of the laws without looking at the whole lot.
Sin leads to sickness......... that's what Jesus said. :)
Pick some more laws......... let's see. :)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
A reminder to those who might interested in what eider has to say - eider is a wolf, doing the work of his father

always keep that in mind when interacting with him

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
A reminder to those who might interested in what eider has to say - eider is a wolf, doing the work of his father

always keep that in mind when interacting with him

Well you're a doofus doing the work of a goofball, so I'll take your assessments of other people with a rock of salt.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
[h=1]Poll: US believers see message of change from God in virus[/h] NEW YORK (AP) — The coronavirus has prompted almost two-thirds of American believers of all faiths to feel that God is telling humanity to change how it lives, a new poll finds.

While the virus rattles the globe, causing economic hardship for millions and killing more than 80,000 Americans, the findings of the poll by the University of Chicago Divinity School and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research indicate that people may also be searching for deeper meaning in the devastating outbreak.

Even some who don’t affiliate with organized religion, such as Lance Dejesus of Dallastown, Pa., saw a possible bigger message in the virus.

“It could be a sign, like ‘hey, get your act together’ – I don’t know,” said Dejesus, 52, who said he believes in God but doesn’t consider himself religious. “It just seems like everything was going in an OK direction and all of a sudden you get this coronavirus thing that happens, pops out of nowhere.”

The poll found that 31% of Americans who believe in God feel strongly that the virus is a sign of God telling humanity to change, with the same number feeling that somewhat. Evangelical Protestants are more likely than others to believe that strongly, at 43%, compared with 28% of Catholics and mainline Protestants.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
KC is one of the worst charlatans of all time.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Last edited: