Is eternal suffering literal?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
My reply: I base his omnipresence on these things:
1. Theologians much smarter than me have said he is.

Appeal to authority fallacy.

Smart people can be wrong too.

2. References in scripture. One search I just did said that there are100s of passages which speak of the ways he is all and in all.

Elephant hurling at best (another logical fallacy).

One author suggested his top ten: My favorites among them were Jeremiah 23:24; Psalm 139:7-10; Proverbs15:3; Isaiah 57:15.

As with anything in the Bible, CONTEXT MATTERS!

Jeremiah, the verse is the ending of the Lord's words against false prophets and empty oracles, and is in the form of poetry. In other words, not something to be taken woodenly literally.

The Psalm is describing, again, using POETRY how God is always with David. It's not saying He is ACTUALLY WOODENLY LITERALLY EVERYWHERE.

Proverbs, again, poetry, thus not to be taken woodenly literally.

Isaiah, again, poetry.

When all you have is poetry to support a belief, maybe you should reconsider your belief to be more figurative than literal.

3. However I also based my conclusion on a personal study of Genesis 1 and some other clues. In Gen 1 I first realized God is an invisible Spirit but he is able to establish places and things within himself. These would ultimately be manifested and put to use.

One might compare this creative process to how an architect would mentally think of a plan for a shopping mall and then draw out the plans and provide the supplies and build it ... EXCEPT for God this is the truth: God's spiritual essence is life, power, intellect and so forth; so, God can create things within himself and give measures of life to what ever living beings he wishes to manifest. Thus, I believe male and female mentioned in Genesis 1 were living within the invisible spiritual essence God as two unique spiritual beings in the beginning ... but they were body-less. Architects can't give life to what they create!

Then in Gen. 1:6 ... I noticed God was creating realms or places where things, like the sun, moon, stars etc, would exist. Next I noticed the dwelling place of earth... and upon it there were specific places where things could dwell, the birds of the air, the sea and all that was in it... etc. Much later in the NT I learned about other places established within God called - Abraham's bosom, the Pit, Hell, a place in the light versus the place in the darkness for lost souls, and the Lake of Fire. The essence of God is in all those places for he created them and they dwell within him. And remember he even knows the number of hairs on our heads and I've figured he knows how many are on the ground. And let's not forget he sees us forming in the womb and he sees into our hearts and know our spiritual intentions. How much more everywhere can he be?

Isaiah 43:11 tells us the promised one will only be: God, LORD, and Savior. I think Col 1:16-17 is a great verse for adding a nuance to what God's relationship is to creation. It is talking about Jesus, but we know Jesus was God, LORD, and Savior finally manifested upon the earth in flesh doing what God told him to do and say. Verse 17 explains he, being God/Emmanuel, was before all things and by him all things consist.
Now if by him all things consist - notice it is talking about what things consist of NOT about what caused their existence... therefore, God's essence must be some part of the essence of all things that exist whether they be thrones powers, principalities, etc.

Now, what does what I have written have to do with all things being in the Spirit of God? You know Jesus our risen Lord is something like a dwelling place... for we believers will dwell in him safely because he is in us. We will be one with our Lord. What do I mean? In Genesis 1 God said let there be LIGHT. John 1 tells us THAT LIGHT had come into the world and he was called Jesus. Other scripture reveals we believers shall well in the LIGHT versus being cast into outer darkness. These are places/realms within God. Believers are no longer programmed to dwell in outer darkness but with our Lord in the LIGHT. See how God separates things and places things ... but it all exists within Him.

Well, I rambled in this part of my answer, but there are just so many bits of clues that for me do support HIS omnipresence.

In other words, you started off with the assumption that God is omnipresent, and went to go find verses that supported that belief.

I recommend reading the https://kgov.com/time article.

You'll find far more verses supporting the view that God is not omni-present (or outside of time, for that matter).

Right Divider

Body part
Gen 2 says
Again... QUOTE IT! Don't just throw out references to an entire chapter.
a soul is made up of an inanimate body animated by a breath from God. If either part is missing, or not functioning, the person is dead. Thus, a soul without a body is, well, nothing.
You are a very confused person. It appears that you believe in annihilation as well.

A soul without a body is a soul.

Isa 10:18 (AKJV/PCE)​
(10:18) And shall consume the glory of his forest, and of his fruitful field, both soul and body: and they shall be as when a standardbearer fainteth.​
Notice the dichotomy?
Yes. Him--not just His body.
When the Bible says that "He was buried" ... it is talking about His physical body.
You've given the right scripture. Please show me where it says "His body was buried", or "His body was raised on the third day."
You continue with that retarded idea. It's no wonder that I usually leave you on ignore.

Again, when we say "He was buried" we are talking about HIS BODY.
It really is just that simple.

Here is an example with the burial of John the B:
Matt 14:12 (AKJV/PCE)​
(14:12) And his disciples came, and took up the body, and buried it, and went and told Jesus.​
If *He* was somewhere else, then *He* wasn't buried. If *He* was still alive, then *He* wasn't resurrected. You can't resurrect a live thing, only a dead thing that was once alive. And the bible never treats His body as a separate thing from Him. If it did, then it would have to say "His body was buried," or "His soul went to Abraham's bosom." But a body without a spirit is dead, and so is a human spirit without a body, I think. In other wirds, you need both a body (made from earthly materials) and a breath from God to make a living human ("soul" in Gen 2).
You are reading your "ideas" into the Bible.
You should let the Bible speak for itself.

Matt 10:28 (AKJV/PCE)​
(10:28) And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.​
There would be NO reason to describe BOTH soul AND body if they are only a "person" when they are together.

Last edited:

Ps82

So God must be in the same room that a child is being raped, by the very definition you adhere to.

Your definition forces Him there, when He cannot stand such vile behavior being in His presence!

No, God is not "omnipresent." There is nothing biblical about that form of it.

You sound like @Lon.

I don't say God is omnipresent. That is your assumption.

In other words, you're begging the question. That's a fallacy.

God DID create out of nothing.
We obviously disagree here. I will not get in a debate or argue. I do believe the Spiritual God mentioned / described in Genesis 1 is in all and all things are in him. If God was with me telling me I would be in a car accident then he is with me at all times... bed room,auto, shopping, working, baby sitting. I'm not always listening not thinking of him but he is there.
I asked God once: "If you knew my life and my future and was willing to tell me about it, why didn't you tell me what to do when it came true." In his 'still small voice that places truth into one's heart and mind he said: "I just wanted you to know I am real. I am alive. I know what is going on in your life, and I care."

You, see, God is there with me all the time, seeing ad knowing all. He wanted me to know my future but allowed my free will in the situation. He was teaching me to believe, listen for him to speak, and trust him. I haven't perfected this but he has helped me on occasions when I chose to pray and listen.
Stop now before you commit blasphemy.

Jesus WAS and IS and WILL ALWAYS BE PERFECT, both before He became a man, and during His earthly life as the Son of Man, and forevermore as God and Man.

To correct you, Jesus was the only man who ever was a perfect man, because He was God.
On this point I totally agree with you ... I should not have stated things this way ... "Jesus was the only man who ever came close to being a perfect man."
I do agree he was sinless and perfect as the second Adam ... but my thought about an imperfection at that moment had to do with the mortal body he had ... He took on sin so that he could save us sinners. The only way he could have taken on our imperfection was to be manifested in the cursed body. Yet, he willingly endure the imperfection of a mortal body and chose to suffer and die for us. Even though through his flesh he was tempted in every way he was perfect after all.

Have a good day JudgeRightly

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I will not get in a debate or argue.

Then why are you even on TOL?

As RD said, the whole point of this site is to debate, discuss, argue, and defend one's beliefs. If that's not what you're here to do, then why are you here?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I do believe the Spiritual God mentioned / described in Genesis 1 is in all and all things are in him.

SO WHAT?!

You can believe whatever you like, but that doesn't make it true!

If God was with me telling me I would be in a car accident then he is with me at all times... bed room,auto, shopping, working, baby sitting. I'm not always listening not thinking of him but he is there.

It doesn't follow based on this that therefore God is omnipresent.

God being with you everywhere YOU go does not mean that God is everywhere PERIOD.

Rather, that fits MY position better, which is that God is wherever He wants to be, and He chooses to be with those who love Him.

This is why proof texting gets people like yourself into trouble, and leads people to believing falsehoods.

God is not omnipresent, except that He can be wherever He wants to be.

None of the verses you provided say otherwise.

I asked God once: "If you knew my life and my future and was willing to tell me about it, why didn't you tell me what to do when it came true." In his 'still small voice that places truth into one's heart and mind he said: "I just wanted you to know I am real. I am alive. I know what is going on in your life, and I care."

You, see, God is there with me all the time, seeing ad knowing all. He wanted me to know my future but allowed my free will in the situation. He was teaching me to believe, listen for him to speak, and trust him. I haven't perfected this but he has helped me on occasions when I chose to pray and listen.

Personal anecdotes do not validate a belief.

Again, just because God is with you at all times (just like He said He would be) does not mean that He is everywhere.

To argue such is a non-sequitur. It does not follow logically.

Ps82

Appeal to authority fallacy.

Smart people can be wrong too.
I agree ... I'd rather rely on what the Lord teaches me. But many believers like to see there is support for points of view.
Elephant hurling at best (another logical fallacy).

As with anything in the Bible, CONTEXT MATTERS!
I agree.
Jeremiah, the verse is the ending of the Lord's words against false prophets and empty oracles, and is in the form of poetry. In other words, not something to be taken woodenly literally.

The Psalm is describing, again, using POETRY how God is always with David. It's not saying He is ACTUALLY WOODENLY LITERALLY EVERYWHERE.

Proverbs, again, poetry, thus not to be taken woodenly literally.

Isaiah, again, poetry.

When all you have is poetry to support a belief, maybe you should reconsider your belief to be more figurative than literal.
I understand poetry has lots of figurative language in it, but who ever said that literal truth can't be determined from it. The whole bible uses figurative language through out.
Trees can speak of kingdoms and kings, water can mean spiritual life, ground can mean the elements from which God created the world; dust can mean the elements from which the world was formed but without spiritual life, robes of white can mean new bodies awaiting people after they die. I find Isaiah has lots of truth in it. We are told Christ referred to the teachings of Isaiah often. If a poet was good enough for Christ I don't see why I should somehow write off something he said.
In other words, you started off with the assumption that God is omnipresent, and went to go find verses that supported that belief.

I recommend reading the https://kgov.com/time article.

You'll find far more verses supporting the view that God is not omni-present (or outside of time, for that matter).
I went to references because another poster seemed to want me to show support. I would have been stupid to go to sources that didn't. Just saying.
I may check out your link... but I'm pretty convinced of my own conclusion and I usually go to the Holy Spirit and my Bible and only go else where when people seem to want more than just me talking.

But it is always nice to check out the beliefs of others.
BTW, yes God I believe God saw that rapist ... and one day the books will be opened and all the sins done by humanity while in their bodies will be revealed to all ... and sentences or rewards will be given.

Here is Me speaking: Driving home. Hear this remark in my mind: "Wreck." I accepted it as a warning from the Lord. I took a safer route home. Careful to be watchful all the way. Didn't pray. All the way I'm at my neighborhood waiting to turn in and Wham! A rear end. I asked God later: "You warned me. I tried take precautions and yet the wreck happened anyway. Why?" God said: "You listened."

I then understood ... God is there with me all the time and cares and willing to speak but due to the fact people have the gift of free will we are not all listening all the time. People who are sinning are not listening to God, not caring, not believing but he is there ... Other's can become victims of those people ... and they will need to find God to find healing ... It is not God's will that tragedy happens ... but until all things end people will be perpetrators and victims of sin in this world.

Derf

Then why are you even on TOL?

As RD said, the whole point of this site is to debate, discuss, argue, and defend one's beliefs. If that's not what you're here to do, then why are you here?
The only remaining option is to speak without anyone ever questioning one's doctrine, meaning either "I'm always right," or "everybody's right." Neither of those concepts are aiming at finding truth.

Keiw1

Banned
Yes.

This statement of Jesus, however, is not exclusionary.

It does not preclude the Son from also being the only true God.
It does not preclude the Holy Spirit from apso being the only true God.

If you're going to argue against the trinitarian position, then you need to find verses that preclude any other Persons than the Father from also being the only true God, because the trinitarian position is that God is three Persons in one Being, not one Person. Using verses that affirm one of those persons as the one true God only affirm our position, and do absolutely nothing to contradict our position.

Indeed. No one says there is life in death.

But we're not talking about life. We're talking about existence.

Abraham still exists, Moses still exists, David still exists. Yet all three of those men are physically dead.

Paul says he died once. The author of Hebrews says it is appointed unto man once to die, and then afterwards the judgement. So clearly, death has multiple meanings, and which one should be used depends on the context.

In the context of this discussion, life is God, and the property which He imparted to entities within creation that makes them either beings or organisms. The effects of this property may be further described, but it's nature, being tied up in the very nature of the essence of the Godhead, cannot be otherwise defined.

When it comes to where someone goes after they die, being with God is life, and being separated from life (God) is death. Paul spoke of a spiritual death after birth, but not a physical death, one which caused Him to become separated from God (iow, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," and that "fall short" means we have missed the mark; you could say that, in a sense, our attempts at hitting the mark are separated from the mark), a spiritual death. The death that the author of Hebrews spoke of was physical death. If it was speaking of spiritual death, then not only would it conflict with what Paul said, but it would mean that there would be no hope for anyone, because "after this the judgment."

Your words also contradict Paul's words, who stated clearly that He who raised Christ from the dead will give life to those who have Christ's Spirit dwelling within them, and that life will last forever.
Twisting Jesus' words gets one mislead.

Derf

Again... QUOTE IT! Don't just throw out references to an entire chapter.
Go look it up, I've shared it with you before.
You are a very confused person. It appears that you believe in annihilation as well.

A soul without a body is a soul.

Isa 10:18 (AKJV/PCE)​
(10:18) And shall consume the glory of his forest, and of his fruitful field, both soul and body: and they shall be as when a standardbearer fainteth.​
Notice the dichotomy?
No, not a dichotomy that identifies a bodiless soul.
When the Bible says that "He was buried" ... it is talking about His physical body.
Sure it was. But the reference is to "He", not "his body". So the identity follows the body, not the soul. When there's no life, "he" is dead. If the identification is with the soul, then "he" would be alive in a different place.
You continue with that retarded idea. It's no wonder that I usually leave you on ignore.
Thankfully.
Again, when we say "He was buried" we are talking about HIS BODY.
It really is just that simple.
I'm not all that interested in what you mean when you say that.
Matt 14:12 (AKJV/PCE)​
(14:12) And his disciples came, and took up the body, and buried it, and went and told Jesus.​

You are reading your "ideas" into the Bible.
You should let the Bible speak for itself.

Matt 10:28 (AKJV/PCE)​
(10:28) And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.​
Right. God can't even destroy a soul without having a body with it. Thanks for sharing that!
There would be NO reason to describe BOTH soul AND body if they are only a "person" when they are together.
A body can be soul-less. It would be dead. I don't contend that they don't mean different things. A soul without a body would also be dead.

Here are some examples of the use of the word "soul":
Mark 8:36 KJV — For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Matthew 26:38 KJV — Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
Luke 12:20 KJV — But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
Revelation 16:3 KJV — And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

Mark 12:30 KJV — And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Those examples don't work with a soul that is immortal.

And none of your examples talk about a soul that is treated in the text without a body.

Last edited:

Derf

Wow, what a thorough response. I will try to give my take on things as briefly as possible. Remember I am not here to debate but merely to share how I see things. You are welcome to disagree.
I'm here to discuss things to find out truth. I hope to provide truth as well, when I can. Thus, I am here to debate and not just to preach without anyone questioning my doctrine. If you are only here to preach, you shouldn't stick around. Your doctrine should be accountable to God's word, like mine or anyone else's.
Derf wondered: The bible says "He" was buried, not "His body" was buried.
1. My reply: Well, who was the Christ? Ans: He was fully man. So let me discuss what a man is before I address what happened to Jesus at this death. Gen. 1 Man began as a spirit identified as male/female.
If so, then man ceased being a spirit before Gen 2, and became merely a lifeless body made of clay.
Genesis 2:7 KJV — And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, ...

Genesis 2 The LORD formed mankind a body from the elements of the earth and when mankind was joined with his living body that was the point he became a soul.
That was God's breath that was joined to the lifeless man that together became a living soul:
Genesis 2:7 KJV — And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

. So, what is man the soul especially after the fall? He/they were sentient living unique individuals with living mortal bodies and a freewill. Each part of humanity was given a measure of life. The spirit of male/female was given a measure of life and the body was also given a mist of spiritual life.
None of that appears in the scripture.
2. So, who was the Christ? As a man he was a sentient living unique individual with a living body and free will.
No disagreement there.
3. Now if a man dies his body is buried but his spirit lives on. It is the body that was laid in that tomb NOT his Spirit.
There isn't any scriptural support for this notion. The spirit/breath that God breathed into Adam was retrieved when Adam died.
Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV — Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Now, who was Jesus as a Spirit? He was the WORD of God, who was God and was with God before the word was. God was not buried.
I think He was:
1 Corinthians 15:4 KJV — And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

If you are saying God was not buried, then you are saying either that "he" in that passage refers to someone other than Jesus or that Jesus was not God, in which case it's a different conversation.

How would he have been able to pick up 'that body' again and raise it from the dead to present before the throne in heaven?
He had some help.
Derf wondered: Why do you say it was a non earthly place? Jesus went to Hades. Hades is sometimes translated as "grave". Graves are the epitome of earthly.
My reply ... just as you say: Sometimes translated as "grave." From scripture we know of various places where God chooses to place men and angels as warranted.
1. On visible solid earth as mortals whose lifeless flesh is usually buried in a grave but not always.
2. Another less earthly place where saints exist in their robes of white asking how much longer do we wait. Invisible to us mortals.
I think that passage is better understood as metaphorical, since they are "resting", which is euphemistic of death. If dead, then they are granted white robes (metaphor for purity) for use when they are raised.
3. Lost humanity go to a place of torment which not an earthly place ... most of us call it hell. I don't quibble over precise nouns as sine people do. I look more to the descriptions of the places.
Such depictions fit well with the lake of fire, which is a place that follows both resurrection and judgment.
4. The pit, which the demons feared. I'd need to re-read scripture to describe any details of that places. I figure no demons had yet gone there.
5. Lastly, the Lake of fire where lost angels and humanity go together in the end. Lots of info is given about that other worldly place. So where did the Spirit of Christ/God go to preach to the lost soul
"Spirit". Let's be precise while we work to figure this out.
who lived up until the time the ark was built. Well, I don't know of a noun use to name the place, but it was not on earth among the mortals. It was a place people
"People"? Or "spirits"? Spirits might well be demons, but applying it to people is not as well supported, at least without reading our presuppositions into the text.
were put until the Christ could reveal truth to them. Why preach to that group and not others? My opinion: These people
Supposition. All we know about them is that they were "spirits" in prison at the time in question.
lived from the age of Adam up to the Ark. They had lost total understanding of who God was and did not know the writings of Moses nor know about the Ten Commandments or any of that stuff. Do you know that Cain had never heard this: "Thou shalt not murder!"
And how do you know this? He knew about "sin", so he must have had some understanding of what a sin was.
At the flood Noah and his family did not know everything about God but they had more revelations of HIM or at least shared a renewed awareness of the true God to their descendants.
Which they could have shared with those around them as preachers of righteousness.
2 Peter 2:5 KJV — And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Derf's suggestion: There's no clear indication that Jesus did this while dead.
My reply: I do not believe Jesus was dead ... at least not spiritually.
If He wasn't dead, how could He rise from the dead? "Spiritual death" is a theological term that includes presuppositions about death that aren't necessarily what the Bible teaches.
He was the Spirit of God which has been called The WORD. Of course his body did die.
Jesus is distinct from the "Spirit of God".
Derf suggested: It could have been before or after, or it could have been that His resurrection is what speaks to the spirits in prison, not a verbal speaking. I'm not sure how to understand this passage, but it is not at all clear that this passage is talking about souls of men in Hades that are hearing the gospel. There are too many things you have to add to it to get that out of it.
My reply: Remember, Derf, John tells us that the Messiah was the WORD of God. Genesis 3 says that the WORD was heard walking in the Garden.
Can you quote that verse for me? I don't recognize it.
It says that He called out to Adam. It says that Adam and his Woman hid from his presence. Now, you decide to insinuate that he could not speak when he went to these poor lost souls who lived during the days while the arch was being built.
It's hard to speak when you're dead.
Derf wrote: I agree that the OT prison for the dead was probably not a burning hell.
Great!

Derf suggested: Rather it seems like it was the grave, and to be released from that prison requires resurrection...of the man, not just the body.
If it does not distinguish, then we need to be careful not to assume some distinction between "prison" and "grave".

My response: What is a grave? It is a place of separation from other things/people/places.
Perhaps, but every place of separation is not called "grave". I used to work in a cubicle. Those half walls created a place of separation from other people/places. Nobody ever called it a grave.
If you read Gen. 1 carefully you will notice that God the Spirit is establishing boundaries in order to separate things. I call these realms within God. You and I merely disagree about two matters:
1. Which is the grave, which is hell, which is the pit, which is the place prepared for the Saints, which is the prison,
God prepared a prison to keep His saints in?
which is the Bosom of Abraham etc. Well, I just say they are all places established by God to hold living sentient beings [men and angels] until God is ready to end things and make all things new.
Not "living". if they are "living" then they aren't dead. But we're talking about dead people, aren't we?
2. Who the demons are. I believe they are the one third of the angels who followed Satan not lost souls of humans.
I'm not seeing much disagreement about this part.
I pray I have written this clearly. I don't have time to proof read and edit. I'm baby sitting grand children.
You are clear. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Derf

Matt 14:12 (AKJV/PCE)(14:12) And his disciples came, and took up the body, and buried it, and went and told Jesus.
One more thought.
John the Baptist was in two parts, the head, given to the daughter of Herodias, who then gave it to Herodias, and the headless body. Nobody in Herod's court wanted the body, but someone had already claimed the head. Thus, the scripture gives additional details of the condition of the corpse, that it was buried without the head! That's why it makes reference to "the body" rather than to "John" or "he".

[Mat 14:10 NKJV] So he sent and had John beheaded in prison.
[Mat 14:11 NKJV] And his head was brought on a platter and given to the girl, and she brought [it] to her mother.
[Mat 14:12 NKJV] Then his disciples came and took away the body and buried it, and went and told Jesus.

I got curious about other instances of when the body was buried in scripture passages. One is when Saul and his sons died. The Philistines found them, and, interestingly, cut off their heads and fastened their bodies to the wall. When some Israelites found out, they took the headless bodies down. So their actions include dealing with "the bodies", but not with Saul or his sons directly.

[1Sa 31:8 NKJV] So it happened the next day, when the Philistines came to strip the slain, that they found Saul and his three sons fallen on Mount Gilboa.
[1Sa 31:9 NKJV] And they cut off his head and stripped off his armor, and sent [word] throughout the land of the Philistines, to proclaim [it in] the temple of their idols and among the people.
[1Sa 31:10 NKJV] Then they put his armor in the temple of the Ashtoreths, and they fastened his body to the wall of Beth Shan.
[1Sa 31:11 NKJV] Now when the inhabitants of Jabesh Gilead heard what the Philistines had done to Saul,
[1Sa 31:12 NKJV] all the valiant men arose and traveled all night, and took the body of Saul and the bodies of his sons from the wall of Beth Shan; and they came to Jabesh and burned them there.
[1Sa 31:13 NKJV] Then they took their bones and buried [them] under the tamarisk tree at Jabesh, and fasted seven days.

Another one, when Josiah was killed by Pharaoh Necho. But they dealt first with his "body", and then buried "him".
[2Ki 23:29 NKJV] In his days Pharaoh Necho king of Egypt went to the aid of the king of Assyria, to the River Euphrates; and King Josiah went against him. And [Pharaoh Necho] killed him at Megiddo when he confronted him.
[2Ki 23:30 NKJV] Then his servants moved his body in a chariot from Megiddo, brought him to Jerusalem, and buried him in his own tomb. And the people of the land took Jehoahaz the son of Josiah, anointed him, and made him king in his father's place.

Finally, Jesus' body was dealt with by Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus in taking Him down from the cross and preparing His body. But then they buried "Jesus" in the tomb. The author could have continued saying "the body of Jesus", but for some reason, he didn't:
[Jhn 19:38 NKJV] After this, Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus; and Pilate gave [him] permission. So he came and took the body of Jesus.
[Jhn 19:39 NKJV] And Nicodemus, who at first came to Jesus by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds.
[Jhn 19:40 NKJV] Then they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury.
[Jhn 19:41 NKJV] Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid.
[Jhn 19:42 NKJV] So there they laid Jesus, because of the Jews' Preparation [Day], for the tomb was nearby.