Is constant confession needed for forgiveness?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Hey everyone. I have a challenge for you. Everyone has been taught that in order to be forgiven after you're a Christian you have to confess your sins constantly and repent of them. Can anyone find me 5 bible verses, in the New Testament, after Jesus was crucified to support constant confession in order to gain forgiveness?
Confession is not required for forgiveness of sins. We are already forgiven all trespasses (Colossians 2:13 KJV). What is there left to forgive?

heir

TOL Subscriber
God is merciful, remember?

says the woman who doesn't believe:

Ephesians 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

nor

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Titus 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

glassjester

Why are you trying to strong arm people. I don't care about your stance, I don't need to answer your questions. You have your beliefs I have mine and we won't change each other's stance. I sense that all you want to do is argue so I won't waist my time.

You're right, you don't need to answer. But you could, right?

No because God is more powerful and the cross is totally cleansing and at the cross Jesus took all our sin and gave us his righteousness and just as Jesus is now so are we in this world. Go watch the video I posted in previous comments.

If your purpose is to argue don't expect me to reply anymore. I will have a civil discussion with people who want to communicate, I will not argue.

I am not arguing, Brother. I asked a real question.

It is necessary to establish a common understanding before either of us can explain anything that the other disagrees with. This question will help me better understand your belief on the matter.

Right Divider, Nick M, Jzeidler - I have a question for you.
It's not argumentative, or scary, or unfair. It's a sincere question.

You say that no member of the body of Christ can be cut off, so...

If a man claims to be a member of the BOC, and then later falls into sin, does that mean...

A) He has been cut off from the BOC?

or

B) He really never was a member of the BOC?

Right Divider

Body part
Right Divider, Nick M, Jzeidler - I have a question for you.
It's not argumentative, or scary, or unfair. It's a sincere question.

You say that no member of the body of Christ can be cut off, so...

If a man claims to be a member of the BOC, and then later falls into sin, does that mean...

A) He has been cut off from the BOC?

or

B) He really never was a member of the BOC?
You ask invalid questions, no doubt due to your "churches" teaching you false doctrine.

What do you mean by, "falls into sin"? Did the Lord not deal with sin on the cross? Do you not trust Him when He says that He did?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is Biblical to confess your sins. What does it mean to confess your sins? What does the Bible say about confession of sins?

For example, do you confess your sins to God?

Is 1 John 1:9 NASB about constant confession? One here may have suggested it?

Here is the verse I think about with confession.

James 5:16 NASB - 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

More teaching from this verse might be useful. What it looks like, etc....

Right Divider

Body part
It is Biblical to confess your sins. What does it mean to confess your sins? What does the Bible say about confession of sins?

For example, do you confess your sins to God?

Is 1 John 1:9 NASB about constant confession? One here may have suggested it?

Here is the verse I think about with confession.

James 5:16 NASB - 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

More teaching from this verse might be useful. What it looks like, etc....
Lots of things are Biblical. The correct question is, are they for the current dispensation of God.
Matthew 16:20, KJV
Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
Do you follow this instruction?

glassjester

You ask invalid questions, no doubt due to your "churches" teaching you false doctrine.

What do you mean by, "falls into sin"? Did the Lord not deal with sin on the cross? Do you not trust Him when He says that He did?

I'm sure you understand. We could speak of more concrete examples, if you'd like.

A man converts to Christianity. He tells everyone he knows that he is now a member of the body of Christ.

Five years later, on a Tuesday, he cheats on his wife, murders his children, mugs an old lady, and starts selling heroin to pregnant women. And worst of all, he converts to Islam.

Does this mean...

A) He is now cut off from the body of Christ, or

B) He really never was a member of the body of Christ.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Lots of things are Biblical. The correct question is, are they for the current dispensation of God.
Matthew 16:20, KJV
Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
Do you follow this instruction?
I think you are muddying the waters. I tell people Jesus is the Christ. Here we are talking about those who already know Jesus is the Christ, Christians, believers, members of the body of Christ, those who know Jesus is Lord and can and have proclaimed it.

theophilus

To the OP...

To the OP...

What does the Bible say about confession?

What will happen if you don’t confess your sins?

Psalm 32 offers us several powerful reasons to confess our sins and shows us the consequences of unconfessed sin. David felt weak and was miserable when he did not confess. Verses 3-4 says, “For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.”

Before confessing his sin, David was exhausted. Why? The life was being drained out of him by sin. If you do not weaken sin, it saps your spiritual strength, it weakens you. When I see a sin forming in my life, I must say, “If I’m to serve Christ, I dare not let this grow! It’ll drain the life out of me…”

Why should you confess your sins?

In addition to avoiding the negative effects of unconfessed sin, biblical confession is a way to experience more of God’s grace. Biblical confession should be in some ways a joy due to the rich benefits God gives us through it.

1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

This does not mean that God will only forgive a sin only if it has been specifically confessed. When a Christian repents and believes the Gospel of Jesus Christ, all of their sins, past, present, and future are immediately forgiven!

Confessing is part of the sanctification process and aids Christians in dealing with sin and healing from it. James 5:16 says, “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”

Why confess your sin if God already knows your sin?

Christians confess their sins to God to practice humbleness before him and to fess up to the bad things they have done. It takes a humble person to admit their mistakes! Humility is a vital part of confession and aids the restoration of Christians who have quenched the Spirit of God. Peter in 1 Peter 5:6 says, “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.”

A True Confession is Done in Humility with an Attitude of Repentance

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you. 1 Peter 5:6
“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6

“…you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God…For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation…” 2 Corinthians 7:9-10

List of Bible Verses About Confession

1. Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah
I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah Psalm 32:1-5

2. Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. Proverbs 28:13

3. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. James 5:16

4. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

http://www.unlockingthebible.org/confession-bible-verses-confessing-sins/

5. David confessed his sin in Psalm 51.

Confession is, in the NT, what the trespass offering was in the OT. Only in the NT it isn't a command, yet is is still good for the soul and your relationship with your Abba.

:)

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
What sin/sins?
"Ro 7:15 — For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.

All of us can relate to the fierce internal struggle that Paul describes. Until we stand in Jesus’ presence, we will all experience this battle. The only way to win it is by joyfully tapping into the Spirit’s overcoming power." Stanley, C. F. (2005). The Charles F. Stanley life principles Bible: New King James Version (Ro 7:15). Nashville, TN: Nelson Bibles.

"Ro 7:15 understand. This refers to knowledge that goes beyond the factual and includes the idea of an intimate relationship (cf. Gal. 4:9). By extension, this word was sometimes used to express approving or accepting (cf. 1 Cor. 8:3). That is its sense here, i.e., Paul found himself doing things he did not approve of.

7:16 I agree with the law that it is good. Paul’s new nature defends the divine standard—the perfectly righteous law is not responsible for his sin (v. 12). His new self longs to honor the law and keep it perfectly (v. 22)." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 1706). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

elohiym

I'm sure you understand. We could speak of more concrete examples, if you'd like.

A man converts to Christianity. He tells everyone he knows that he is now a member of the body of Christ.

Five years later, on a Tuesday, he cheats on his wife, murders his children, mugs an old lady, and starts selling heroin to pregnant women. And worst of all, he converts to Islam.

Does this mean...

A) He is now cut off from the body of Christ, or

B) He really never was a member of the body of Christ.

If

A = Matthew 13:22

B = Matthew 13:19

Then A.