Is constant confession needed for forgiveness?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"What sin/sins? Lay out the sins, for which your probation officer, fake saviour, did not die."
For any sin committed after justification (Acts 13:38, 39).

"McArthur is a wolf, in sheep's clothing..."
:yawn: I don't agree with him on everything.
"..."preaching" the satanic "Lordship 'Salvation''" "doctrine.""
You cannot have a come in Savior and a stay out Lord. He'll be Lord of all or he won't be Lord at all (Mal 4:4).

See:

Apostasy & Eternal Security

Last edited:

PureX

There are Christians who think they no longer sin. So have nothing to confess. And there are Christians who think they don't have to confess their sins because they are "saved" regardless of their sins. They basically can do whatever they want and their sins won't be held against them.

But the people who believe in confessing their sins usually do so because they are seeking absolution, and a chance to do better. Which is really what forgiveness is all about. The whole point of grace, and forgiveness, is that through them we are constantly being given another chance to live by the holy spirit instead of by our own selfish desires.

So I would say that logically, if we believe in the gift of forgiveness, we should use that gift as it was intended: as a way of gaining a new chance at living life in Christ, instead of in selfishness. And then when we fail at that quest, as we so often do, we can acknowledge that failure (confess it) and be forgiven of it, so that we can always try again.

Right Divider

Body part
That's a good point.

Can this be reconciled with the verse quoted by Nick M?
Namely, that a member of the BOC is free of sin.

Do you agree that the hypothetical man is a sinner?
It these kinds of MISQUOTES that cause problems.

Romans 6:7King James Version (KJV)

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
The question avoids what God desires for us. From Paul's mouth, which agrees with justification and reconciliation and repentance (turning to God and away from sin) and Jesus's words.

"Now this I say, and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. But that is not the way you learned Christ!--assuming that you have heard about Him and were taught in Him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." Ephesians 4:17-24

A life of more of Him and less of ourselves..

I love Paul's asides: "...assuming that you have heard about Him and were taught in Him". :mario: I assume nothing (Mt 7:20, Jas 2:18). :sherlock:

elohiym

You're no brother of mine...

My Father is God. See 1 John 3:6-10.

As a reminder Elohiym is number 23 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

So you've made a list to falsely accuse Christians? How Satanic.

I believe Jesus is God, the Father is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.

You are a false accuser obviously putting a lot of effort into accusing people.

See Psalm 109. It was written by a polygamist.

glassjester

What does "converts to Christianity" mean?

We're pretending not to know what conversion is now?

Alright, Brother. You don't seem to want to talk unless I can speak in the exact words that you deem suitable. And if I don't, you pretend not to understand.

Let's whittle it down:

A Christian man converts to Islam. Is he still a BOC member? Was he never a BOC member? Is he no longer a BOC member?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"There are Christians who think they no longer sin. So have nothing to confess. And there are Christians who think they don't have to confess their sins because they are "saved" regardless of their sins. They basically can do whatever they want and their sins won't be held against them."
Bob George honey badger theology (Ga 1:8, Mt 7:23).

honeybadger.gif

"People who believe in confessing their sin usually do so because they are seeking absolution, and a chance to do better. Which is really what forgiveness is all about. As the whole point of grace, and forgiveness, is that through them we are constantly being given another chance to live by the holy spirit instead of our own selfish spirit."
Ro 8:13

"So I would say that logically, if we believe in the gift of forgiveness, we should use that gift as it was intended: as a way of gaining a new chance at living life in Christ, instead of selfishness. And then when we fail at that quest, as we so often do, we can acknowledge that failure (confess it) and be forgiven, so we can always try again."
Ga 5:16

As a reminder PureX is number 37 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

elohiym

How about my hypothetical Christian-then-Muslim convert?

He now denies Christ - is he still a member? or no longer a member? or never was a member?

I don't see any other possibilities.

If someone truly denies Christ he cannot be a member of His Body.

There are a number of possibilities but only God knows the heart.

Labels aside.

glassjester

Labels aside.

Alright.

Is there any event(s) that could take place that would lead to this man later becoming a member of the BOC?
Or... what happens when someone becomes a member of the BOC?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Elohiym polygamist] My Father is God...
Your father is the devil (Jn 8:44).

"See 1 John 3:6-10."
We abide in him. You do not (Mt 7:20). :sherlock: This is what we call in the Greek--a no brainer. :plain:

See:

Abide in Him
:yawn: Choleric has made a list. I have added to the list.

A few housekeeping items:
animated-smileys-housekeeping-097.gif

The original thread had been deleted. Choleric recreated the thread.

"...to falsely accuse Christians?"
You are not a Christian (2 Pe 2:1). :dizzy:
"How Satanic."
:yawn: How biblical (Eph 5:11).

Last edited:

elohiym

Alright.

Is there any event(s) that could take place that would lead to this man later becoming a member of the BOC?

Can I just point to the story of David and Bathsheba? I'll elaborate if you like.

Right Divider

Body part
We're pretending not to know what conversion is now?
I want YOUR clear and unambiguous explanation of what you think that this means.

I think that your idea of it is why you ask your A/B questions.

Alright, Brother. You don't seem to want to talk unless I can speak in the exact words that you deem suitable. And if I don't, you pretend not to understand.

Let's whittle it down:

A Christian man converts to Islam. Is he still a BOC member? Was he never a BOC member? Is he no longer a BOC member?
Only God knows for sure. People find many ways to fool themselves. But the Bible is pretty clear about what it means to trust in Christ as in "by grace through faith".

elohiym

Labels aside.

Alright.

Can I just point to the story of David and Bathsheba? I'll elaborate if you like.

Yes, definitely!

David was anointed King of Israel and received the Holy Spirit. Nevertheless, he committed adultery. When he realized what he deserved as punishment for adultery under the law, he prayed for repentance and forgiveness (Psalm 51). David asked God to not take away the Holy Spirit but to renew it within him, to give him a clean heart. And what was the result? God did not punish David according to the letter of the law, but pardoned him and Bathsheba, and let them be husband and wife. How did David live after that? It is written: "David did what was right in the sight of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the case of Uriah the Hittite." 1 Kings 15:5.

What happened to David that caused the result of 1 Kings 15:5? That is what happens to a sinner that repents and becomes a member of the Body of Christ.