If God created...

Lon

The first lead-lead isotope dating was done on meteorite samples in 1956, which gave 4.55 billion years. The current consensus from a range of different measurements is 4.54 billion years.

Stuart
Not to mention theology with a different date. I remember quite well my textbooks saying "millions" not billions. While we may have some work from 1956, it took awhile for textbooks to catch up (I'd think obviously). I'm not really worried about how old the universe actually is. While I do think 'days' is important theologically, I always wonder what the first few verses in Genesis 1 actually allows for meaning. I'd leaned toward a gap-theory between verses before realizing there was such a theory. For me, different than you, is trying to figure out 'how' God-did-it. For you, 'how it could have evolved in such a way that there was sustainability. Life is incredibly fragile without an eco-system. Well, that's all more of a biology discussion but it is how we also get into the cosmology discussion. I really don't see much at stake for 'age.' We can't go back and do anything about it and nothing we do really depends on it. Even for 4.5, it isn't but a round-figure estimation. Nothing we do depends on it. -Lon

Stuu

Not to mention theology with a different date. I remember quite well my textbooks saying "millions" not billions. While we may have some work from 1956, it took awhile for textbooks to catch up (I'd think obviously). I'm not really worried about how old the universe actually is. While I do think 'days' is important theologically, I always wonder what the first few verses in Genesis 1 actually allows for meaning. I'd leaned toward a gap-theory between verses before realizing there was such a theory. For me, different than you, is trying to figure out 'how' God-did-it. For you, 'how it could have evolved in such a way that there was sustainability. Life is incredibly fragile without an eco-system. Well, that's all more of a biology discussion but it is how we also get into the cosmology discussion. I really don't see much at stake for 'age.' We can't go back and do anything about it and nothing we do really depends on it. Even for 4.5, it isn't but a round-figure estimation. Nothing we do depends on it. -Lon
I think that 'we' you are referring to is those who have some god or other to 'wrestle' with, those who have work to reconcile their fantasy conspiracy theory of invisible friends running the universe with the facts as they can be reasonably discerned.

For those not in the 'we', reliable knowledge about the history of our planet and solar system is an essential area of human endeavour, one that helps us understand our place in the universe more fully. Given the means by which humans arose, gaining such insight is an expression of the universe being able to understand itself.

Stuart

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that 'we' you are referring to is those who have some god or other to 'wrestle' with, those who have work to reconcile their fantasy conspiracy theory of invisible friends running the universe with the facts as they can be reasonably discerned.

For those not in the 'we', reliable knowledge about the history of our planet and solar system is an essential area of human endeavour, one that helps us understand our place in the universe more fully. Given the means by which humans arose, gaining such insight is an expression of the universe being able to understand itself.

Stuart
:darwinsm:

Your "we" wrestles with how to get matter from nothing. You have libraries full of stories designed to hide the fundamentals of who we are, how we got here and why things make sense, while you will ridicule anyone who presents an idea addressing those things.

You cannot allow rational consideration of the fundamentals, or else your religion is exposed — to you — as the cardboard facade that it is.

Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app

6days

Stuu said:
...the believers in fiction.
Examples
* Nothing can create everything
* Life came from non life
* If evolution 'kisses' a frog, it will turn into a handsome prince
* Our eyes have the appearance of shoddy design
* "there is a possibility that the multiverse is real."

Stuu said:
Yes. But I think he (J.F.Crow)is out of date. It is quite an old paper in a quickly developing area of investigation.
It is a bit out of date in the sense that the problem is worse than Crow could have known 20 years ago. If you thought it was out of date, perhaps you should have mentioned it yesterday before attempted to say he had solved the problem.

Stuu said:
And now for the explanation...?
Stuu, you asked how exchange of genetic info is different between bacteria and humans (I gave 3 methods). If you don't understand the words / terms I provided, use a dictionary, or google. Eg... Is reproduction the same?

Stuu said:
You are asserting that because some adaptations take only a short period of time, that all adaptations take short periods of time.
I think you are a little confused. It was you that seemed to assert that speciation takes a long long long time and / or many many generations.. It was you that said bacteria speciate over tens of thousands of generations. It was you that suggested it took 2 million years for the finches to speciation into 18 separate species. What I said was "adaptation and speciation can happen rapidly" and " speciation can and does happen rapidly (and gave example)"

Stuu said:
I gave you two very precise examples of hair colour changes versus skull morphological changes. I can cite the evidence for those timescales if you want.
Sure.... please.

Stuu said:
Natural selection certainly produces the illusion of design. Although, as we have discussed, it often has the appearance of shoddy engineering.
Funny... so you think both good and bad design is evidence to support you? You likely also believe that functionality and non functionality support your beliefs. IOW... it isn't the evidence that matters but it is finding an explanation to fit your non falsifiable beliefs.

Stuu said:
What is that doing in a peer-reviewed scientific paper?
I accept your 'apology' :)

Stuu said:
But why are there extinctions according to you...
The Bible and science are consistent. We have a good genome that was subjected to entropy. The Bible says that all creation suffers from the result of man's sin. (we had already discussed this)

Stuu said:
(Maybe)...Alright then, almost certainly natural selection has found an immune-related use for the tissue, and it may retain an aspect of bacterial storage, without being the same function as in ancestral species
Science... and the Bible say you are wrong. 'Science' discovered the appendix appears suddenly and doesn't fit with any of the evolutionary trees. So, their rescue device explanation is that it must have evolved independently at least 32 times... maybe 38. (Do i hear 50?) An evolutionary biologist says "I do find their argument for the positive correlation of appendix and cecum sizes to be a convincing refutation of Darwin's hypothesis." (He still believes that somehow there is an explanation to fit his beliefs. IOW... shoehorn)
Other exerts....
* "The appendix has a unique anatomical location that is out of the way," he says. "Bacteria can be kept safe there for repopulation as needed." (Nifty design feature, eh?... Oh... or as Dawkins would say ' its only the appearance of design).
and
* "One wonders why such a trait with such a function would not be universal," he says. That suggests it is possible we still haven't completely cracked the mystery of the appendix, he says." (I wonder if he would consider it a design feature, that not all creatures need?)
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/02/appendix-evolved-more-30-times

Stuu said:
It's (vestigial organs /appendix etc) not non-falsifiable.
Vestigial arguments are not based in science, but are theological arguments that even some evolutionists now shy away from using. You can see the shifting 'theology' in the appendix article. Science has shown that the appendix is not a result of evolution from a single common ancestor but they (evolutionists) still adhere to the belief, saying that our appendix must have evolved from apes. That isn't science... research shows they were wrong by at least 32 times yet they still attempt to explain it within their belief system

Stuu said:
My favourite example of vestigiality is the plantaris muscle ...
That is your theology. My theology is that the plantaris muscle seems like a design feature... a muscle that has been subjected to several thousand years of mutations, as has all parts of our body. (there are many parts that we could do without, but we function better with them)

Stuu said:
It would be wrong to call regulatory genes 'junk'.
Yes... it was wrong. Again... it was theology; not science. " Not Junk After All" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12764185

Stuu said:
It would not be wrong to call large stretches of DNA 'junk DNA', as I explained.
* It would be wrong unless you have complete knowledge, and it would be wrong if you meant your comment as evidence of common ancestry. There can be various reasons why some DNA appears to be non functional. (controlled by genetic switch, functional in utero, genetic load)

Stuu said:
(inverted retina)Superior in what way, exactly?
There are many ways the inverted retina is superior. (BTW...Since you seem to think bad design is evidence AGAINST and intelligent creator, then you should be logical and admit good design is evidence FOR an intelligent creator).
I will mention a few ways the inverted design is better,,, But first of all, the word 'optimal' suggests something which can't be improved upon.
Research in recent years has revealed the design of the eye...
Researchers Amichai Labin and Erez Ribak, Physical Review Letters 104, 16 April 2010 wrote
* “The retina is revealed as an optimal structure designed for improving the sharpness of images. … The fundamental features of the array of glial cells are revealed as an optimal structure designed for preserving the acuity of images in the human retina. It plays a crucial role in

* A problem we would have if our eyes were verted is that we would have lots more 'floaters' in our vision from macrophages. Inverted lens is the best design for all vertebrates.

* Research on the vertebrate retina shows that the inverted design in vertebrates is superior to the verted design, even compared to the most advanced cephalopods. The research has discovered that our retina has a neurological feedback system improving contrast and sharpening edges without sacrificing shadow detail.
PLoS Biology May 2011 A positive feedback synapse from retinal horizontal cells to cone photoreceptors. (S.L.Jackman)

* Even older research shows the inverted eye design is superior. Although evolutionists at the time disputed this, a 1985 article said that even the better verted eyes are still “overall quite inferior to the vertebrate eye.' That was determined by measuring performance in response to visual stimuli.
The retina of the eye—An evolutionary road block. Creation Research Society Quarterly 22 (Hamilton)
Hamilton continued on to say...
Dr. H S Hamilton wrote:
instead of being a great disadvantage, or a “curse” or being incorrectly constructed, the inverted retina is a tremendous advance in function and design compared with the simple and less complicated verted arrangement. One problem amongst many, for evolutionists, is to explain how this abrupt major retinal transformation from the verted type in invertebrates to the inverted vertebrate model came about as nothing in paleontology offers any support.

* Ophthamologist, Peter W.V. Gurney wrote "This article reviews the reasons for our having the inverted retina and why the opposite arrangement (the verted retina), in which the photoreceptors are innermost and the first layer to receive incident light, would be liable to fail in creatures who have inverted retinas. I suggest that the need for protection of the retina against the injurious effects of light, particularly with the shorter wavelengths, and of the heat generated by focused light necessitates the inverted configuration of the retina in creatures possessing it.

Stuu said:
That point is not relevant to the orientation of the wiring. I did mention the inferior lens in octopi, you will recall This is not about octopus eyes in general, the claim is specific to the structure of the retina.
You did say "The octopus has a better eye. "
So, what you meant is that our eye is better, but you would wire it differently? As opthamologist Dr. G. Marshall said "The idea that the eye is wired backward comes from a lack of knowledge of eye function and anatomy."

Stuu said:
But natural selection can give the illusion of design, albeit the kind of design that rummages around in the shed and finds some bits of stuff that will make do as a makeshift solution.
Ok..... You and me are selection. We go into the shed... now what? Selection eliminates. We have to throw stuff out of our shed. (As Haldane, Kimura, ReMine and others says... selection comes at a COST). Now what? Selection can't do anything except SOMETIMES eliminate. People can keep tossing stuff in our shed... sometimes we are lazy and don't notice junk piling up. haha... our shed analogy isn't very good.

Stuu said:
I think the further interesting point about this, and also one we might agree on, is that so-called Theistic Evolution is utter rot. Why would a god choose such a phenomenally wasteful process as evolution by natural selection if it had humans in mind all the time? There is no guarantee that humans would appear at all. I'm sure you have no question in your mind about how humans got an immortal soul, and I'm equally clear that that concept is nonsense, but when did the Catholic church think their god specially injected a soul into a previously soul-free species of ancestor, and which ancestor was it??
Very good Stuu..... Theistic evolution makes a mockery of God...a mockery of the Gospel. Sadly, atheists seem to realize this better than many Christians.

Stuu said:
Well you can't articulate the design, can you. How did your god build a genome from dirt as described in Genesis?
I don't know HOW... I do know WHO.
One thing though about the 'how'..... Some evolutionists today rely on millions of hours of research trying to create building blocks of life. I think that indicates the 'HOW' requires intelligence far beyond our current level.

Stuu said:
I don't believe the eye is a shoddy design. It carries the illusion of shoddy design.
I think you need stop relying on Dawkins arguments and accept the science... OPTIMAL. Or, even trust Bill Gates word that just the DNA alone shows sophistication beyond any man made software.

Lon

Jesus walked the earth. Somebody answers my prayers VERY specifically. You can have your head in the sand and guess, but you CANNOT assert what you are personally incapable of delivering on. TRY to get over your pure assertions: They hurt you most of all. Think about it, "if" (for you) there is a God, you are ONLY hurting yourself. Even if it were 'possible' you were correct, you still have no way to deliver on such an assertion, thus STILL hurting yourself by the ignorance of it. As it is, I'm either magic, or God exists. I'm not magic.

Stuart
:nono: "Time" doesn't make a thing happen. Rather, it may conveniently leave things off 'til "tomorrow" but that's simply a convenience of dodging another day again. Simply saying "....MORE billions" isn't satisfying for me. It doesn't actually deal with the question.

Lon

And there was I thinking that things look old because they are.

Stuart
That is part of what he is saying: I saw a child with progeria. Of course she was 80 in one way. In another, she was only 10. What is obvious about both of these? 1) they are both true, correct? 2) we have to consider our own matrix of understanding time as we look at both of these dynamics. (a little philosophizing in the next 2 paragraphs, may or may not serve....)

Such always show our vocabulary doesn't always match the complexity of observation AND that at times, our words can and do often enough, cause confusions and misleading.

We are beings that desire to be right/correct. It serves us, but it also causes problems whenever we are wrong and/or short of understanding, right, and/or knowledgeable. TOL is an attempt for all of us to grasp 'right.' Inherently in the debate is the difference. For my part, I try to remember that right (correct, true, actual) is more often than not bigger and beyond all of us. For me, He is God. As such, even an atheist can appreciate a god in his/her own life because we simply cannot live a life of lies successfully or happily. That greater truth, reaching for it, and the meaning of it, gives us all purpose. As such, I'd think there should be a lot less atheists in the world. Living according to what is true and with such purpose, is well within the scope of all humanity, that I don't believe 'atheist' serves anybody.

Stuu

* Nothing can create everything
It depends what you mean by nothing. If we keep to what you mean by nothing and everything, then everything appearing from nothing is now well known. It's the stuff you don't mean by those words that are the subjects of quite difficult investigation, especially the nature of dark matter and dark energy, a rapidly developing area.

But if you want to know how the atoms in your computer arose from 'nothing' then that is entirely explained. Ask if you need more detail.

* Life came from non life
You can predict, of course, that my answer here will also start with 'It depends what you mean by...'. So it will help if you can say what you think life actually is, but in the meantime we can still address the question of whether we know how life came from non-life, according to what I think life is. There is no scientific theory of abiogenesis, and if one ever emerges it will have to be circumstantial because the fossils that would link current observations about the conditions around sea floor vents with the biology of ancestral monocellular life forms have not been discovered, and are not very likely to be discovered.

There are a few really compelling versions of essentially the same narrative, but it's not clear-cut and I would recommend being skeptical (but not entirely closed-minded) to those descriptions.

I have to say it's a hypocritical accusation for any creationist to make, because there is no explanation whatever for how life came to be in Judeo-christian mythology. There are many platitudes on that topic but creationists never come up with the level of explanation they demand from real scientists.

* If evolution 'kisses' a frog, it will turn into a handsome prince
You are describing magic; I would put that question to a creationist, as they tend to deal in magic.

* Our eyes have the appearance of shoddy design
Have you been reading the thread? I've dealt with that in some depth.

* "there is a possibility that the multiverse is real."
Yes, and there is a possibility that you haven't bothered reading my replies to you.

It is a bit out of date in the sense that the problem is worse than Crow could have known 20 years ago.
You might need to cite some more papers to support that claim. You might recall that Crow's conclusion is only his opinion to begin with; it is a testable hypothesis so maybe there has been some testing of it in the meantime. I think it's pretty obviously wrong, but by all means change my mind with evidence.

If you thought it was out of date, perhaps you should have mentioned it yesterday before attempted to say he had solved the problem.
I hope you're not having a go at the logical fallacy of equivocation there. You should define what you mean by the use of the first 'it' in that sentence.

Stuu, you asked how exchange of genetic info is different between bacteria and humans (I gave 3 methods). If you don't understand the words / terms I provided, use a dictionary, or google. Eg... Is reproduction the same?
My question is, why did you mention different methods of genetic exchange? What does that explain regarding your original point? You might find it would help to use the 'Reply with quote' button, then it's easier to trace back to the original point. Otherwise we are all chimpanzees in a cage punishing one another over some rule that none of us understands. Or, we are Catholics and Protestants fighting a war started 400 years ago where none of us understands why.

I think you are a little confused. It was you that seemed to assert that speciation takes a long long long time and / or many many generations.. It was you that said bacteria speciate over tens of thousands of generations.
I don't think I used the word speciate in regards to bacteria at all, did I?

It was you that suggested it took 2 million years for the finches to speciation into 18 separate species. What I said was "adaptation and speciation can happen rapidly" and " speciation can and does happen rapidly (and gave example)"
The problem with speciation is that it is an arbitrary concept at the best of times. We can all give examples where we would agree that two species are different, but it becomes much more difficult when two species are very closely related in time or geographically. If an animal from each group can mate and produce a fertile offspring then we tend to lump them into the same species, but we call Homo neanderthalensis a different name to Homo sapiens although they produced fertile offspring together. Then, at what point in history did H. erectus become H.sapiens?

Although your standard creationist likes to make something of this, for example your frog to prince jibe, actually no species gives birth to a different species. I recommend reading about ring species to understand this point better.

Sure.... please.
5. Diversification of European hair color
Yet β-globin variants clearly have selective value, as indicated by heterozygote advantage and the short time span (less than 5000 years) over which the β-globin polymorphism has evolved (Cavalli-Sforza et al., 1994, pp. 149–152)

http://www.ehbonline.org/article/S1...lltext#Diversification of European hair color

I've tried to find the reference in the original work by Cavalli-Sforza but the original is in Italian and I can't find an English translation. Might have to appeal to the integrity of the Journal of the Human Behaviour and Evolution Society for the time being...

Here's some data on brain volume, which is a good measure of skull morphology:
brainsize.gif

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n12/mente/evolution/evolution04_i.html

Funny... so you think both good and bad design is evidence to support you? You likely also believe that functionality and non functionality support your beliefs. IOW... it isn't the evidence that matters but it is finding an explanation to fit your non falsifiable beliefs.
I don't think I believe anything that isn't falsifiable. If I do then I would be interested in having it pointed out to me. There are assumptions upon which everything is based that cannot be falsified, for example that I exist and that the universe isn't an illusion, but I don't claim those as firm beliefs, just working assumptions.

Bad design, which nature is full of, is only disproof of the creationist claim that there is or has been a perfect engineer at work in nature. But, if you want to make it about evolution by natural selection then Darwin's theory allows you to predict that you will find things that look like they have been designed only just well enough to get by.

And that is because the only test placed by natural selection is whether adaptations will allow you to survive and reproduce in that environment. So you get some fantastically complicated apparatus, because that is what is needed to get by, and you get some scrappy stuff that no entry-level engineer would have thought to be a good solution, even though it kind of works, because that is the test: it works well enough to allow it to be passed on.

I accept your 'apology'
Sure. I'm not sure for what though. I didn't write Crow's paper.

We have a good genome that was subjected to entropy. The Bible says that all creation suffers from the result of man's sin. (we had already discussed this)
Yes but you haven't explained how entropy is relevant, and actually how the Second Law of Thermodynamics affects the situation of the ongoing state of a genome. You can maintain a perfectly ordered genome as long as you have an apparatus for maintaining it (there are several) and you have a way of disordering the universe overall so a specific system can become more ordered. That's how salt crystals grow, for example.

The salt solution is highly disordered, but a very highly ordered crystal can emerge as the water evaporates, because the evaporation of the water causes the disorder in the universe overall to increase. So, over to you, do you know what you mean by entropy when you use that word?

I particularly look forward to you showing how 'sin' (whatever that is) is related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Good luck.

'Science' discovered the appendix appears suddenly and doesn't fit with any of the evolutionary trees. So, their rescue device explanation is that it must have evolved independently at least 32 times... maybe 38. (Do i hear 50?) An evolutionary biologist says "I do find their argument for the positive correlation of appendix and cecum sizes to be a convincing refutation of Darwin's hypothesis." (He still believes that somehow there is an explanation to fit his beliefs. IOW... shoehorn)
Other exerts....
* "The appendix has a unique anatomical location that is out of the way," he says. "Bacteria can be kept safe there for repopulation as needed." (Nifty design feature, eh?... Oh... or as Dawkins would say ' its only the appearance of design).
and
* "One wonders why such a trait with such a function would not be universal," he says. That suggests it is possible we still haven't completely cracked the mystery of the appendix, he says." (I wonder if he would consider it a design feature, that not all creatures need?)
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/...-more-30-times
Do those who have had an appendectomy 'need' their appendices? No. Is there a population-based (stochastic) reason for the appendix being a retained structure? Very probably there is enough of a selection advantage in retaining it that overcomes the disadvantage of its tendency to kill its owner. But this started out as a discussion about vestigiality. It's still vestigial.

Vestigial arguments are not based in science, but are theological arguments
'Vestigial' has got a pretty clear 'scientific' definition. I agree there are theological arguments, but those happen between theologians.

that even some evolutionists now shy away from using. You can see the shifting 'theology' in the appendix article. Science has shown that the appendix is not a result of evolution from a single common ancestor but they (evolutionists) still adhere to the belief, saying that our appendix must have evolved from apes. That isn't science... research shows they were wrong by at least 32 times yet they still attempt to explain it within their belief system
I'm confused. Is this about vestigiality or not? Or are you now attacking different views of the evolution of the appendix? That doesn't change the definition of 'vestigial'. The precursors to the appendix were for holding bacteria and other materials for digesting cellulose, and the modern day human appendix isn't.

the plantaris muscle seems like a design feature... a muscle that has been subjected to several thousand years of mutations, as has all parts of our body. (there are many parts that we could do without, but we function better with them)
So would the 10% of people who haven't missed their non-existent plantaris muscles have some envy of those who do? Do those people not function so well?

(BTW...Since you seem to think bad design is evidence AGAINST and intelligent creator, then you should be logical and admit good design is evidence FOR an intelligent creator).
I admit that good design is evidence of an intelligent creator. Would you say there is anything at all that isn't designed?

I will mention a few ways the inverted design is better,,, But first of all, the word 'optimal' suggests something which can't be improved upon.
Research in recent years has revealed the design of the eye...
Researchers Amichai Labin and Erez Ribak, Physical Review Letters 104, 16 April 2010 wrote
* “The retina is revealed as an optimal structure designed for improving the sharpness of images. … The fundamental features of the array of glial cells are revealed as an optimal structure designed for preserving the acuity of images in the human retina. It plays a crucial role in
... role in?

Evolution by natural selection produces adaptations that are optimal. It is an optimising process. The structures present in the eye that help to make up for the poorly organised wiring of the retina are exactly what natural selection does. But it's not the kind of optimisation a designer would do. An intelligent designer would go back to the drawing board and start all over again. Natural selection can't do that because it is working on living organisms that can't be shut down for a redesign. There has to be a continuous successfully reproducing line of organisms.

Natural selection blindly stumbles upon a solution, but gets stuck, unable to backtrack, so it stumbles upon over-complex fixes to the problems it's stuck with. That might look clever and complex, but it's not good engineering. So once again we are back to the point of identifying poor 'design' in nature.

Don't forget there is only one point in this: if there is an engineer involved in creating the structures we see in nature, then it's not perfect because we can see much better solutions ourselves, ones that would require starting again from scratch. So, if you don't believe the engineer is a perfect engineer, ie: that it wouldn't come up with the most efficient, cost effective and elegant solution, then there's no point to be made by this.

You can believe in a bumbling, blind, inefficient creator that tries many solution and takes many tries to get tiny gains, if you want. But then that is exactly what you would expect to see in nature if evolution by natural selection is the process.

When you read articles on IRC you might notice they seem to be quite careful not to call their creator 'perfect' when describing (the illusion of) design in nature. Well, I haven't come across any of their articles that would call the supposed prefect creator 'perfect'. Perhaps you have. But that would be them asking for trouble, because they know full well there's nothing perfect about it if you really want to say 'perfect engineer'.

* A problem we would have if our eyes were verted is that we would have lots more 'floaters' in our vision from macrophages. Inverted lens is the best design for all vertebrates.
Did you mean inverted lens? The topic is the inverted wiring of the retina.

* Research on the vertebrate retina shows that the inverted design in vertebrates is superior to the verted design, even compared to the most advanced cephalopods. The research has discovered that our retina has a neurological feedback system improving contrast and sharpening edges without sacrificing shadow detail.
PLoS Biology May 2011 A positive feedback synapse from retinal horizontal cells to cone photoreceptors. (S.L.Jackman)
I don't think you have established how this is relevant to the wrong wiring in the retina, although I suspect it might be an example of a work-around necessitated by the bad wiring: there are focusing systems that help to increase the sharpness and contrast of an image of light that has had to travel through tissues that 'shouldn't' be there, if it was ideal engineering. I'm not an expert in this kind of anatomical biochemistry, you understand. Are you?

instead of being a great disadvantage, or a “curse” or being incorrectly constructed, the inverted retina is a tremendous advance in function and design compared with the simple and less complicated verted arrangement. One problem amongst many, for evolutionists, is to explain how this abrupt major retinal transformation from the verted type in invertebrates to the inverted vertebrate model came about as nothing in paleontology offers any support.
No problem. Eyes have evolved many tens of times independently over the past 500 million years, in particular. Our vertebrate eyes are extensions of the brain; cepahlopod eyes began as indentations in the body surface. That's why the wiring is different, but natural selection is stuck with it in each case, because once you have the advantage of eyesight you can't do without it for any length of time hoping for something fundamentally better, and so the only optimisation possible is finding work-around fixes. The eye still works well enough to get by, even if it's not the most elegant solution.

And you don't need paleontology, really, when the diversity of eyes in existence around the planet pretty much explains eye evolution by itself.

* Ophthamologist, Peter W.V. Gurney
..yet another creationist, but let's not ad hom him yet...

wrote "This article reviews the reasons for our having the inverted retina and why the opposite arrangement (the verted retina), in which the photoreceptors are innermost and the first layer to receive incident light, would be liable to fail in creatures who have inverted retinas. I suggest that the need for protection of the retina against the injurious effects of light, particularly with the shorter wavelengths, and of the heat generated by focused light necessitates the inverted configuration of the retina in creatures possessing it.
But doesn't necessitate it in animals without the inverted wiring? And what does he think the effect of the aqueous humour is, with all that water with its high heat capacity?

Ok..... You and me are selection. We go into the shed... now what? Selection eliminates. We have to throw stuff out of our shed. (As Haldane, Kimura, ReMine and others says... selection comes at a COST). Now what? Selection can't do anything except SOMETIMES eliminate. People can keep tossing stuff in our shed... sometimes we are lazy and don't notice junk piling up. haha... our shed analogy isn't very good.
The shed full of stuff stands for mutation, an endless source of either nothing at all, or bits of stuff that could be something. And you are quite right, our metaphorical sheds (our genomes) are full of old stuff that never got thrown away, and stuff has been chucked in by retroviruses, and copying stuff because the stuff thought it would be important. And the elimination does happen quite often (more than our worried friend Dr. Crow imagines), but indeed it is a very slow process if you want to see the kind of change you might actually call 'speciation' (to the point where the original version would not mate successfully with the later version, if it were ever possible for them to meet - but again see the Holy Wikipedia on ring species for that intriguing example).

One thing though about the 'how'..... Some evolutionists today rely on millions of hours of research trying to create building blocks of life. I think that indicates the 'HOW' requires intelligence far beyond our current level.
It's fair enough to plead ignorance. Of course you will appreciate the atheist position on this, that some christians seem to know in quite exquisite detail exactly how their god wants them and other people to behave, but suddenly they seem a bit ignorant on the details of how the whole system was set up in the first place. If christians could generally be as honest about their ignorance when it came to christ belief, then I don't think there would be any christians at all.

Still looking forward to a creationist coming up with a proposed mechanism for turning dirt into DNA. That sure sounds like life from non-life to me.

Stuart

Stuu

Jesus walked the earth.
I think that's reasonable.

"Time" doesn't make a thing happen. Rather, it may conveniently leave things off 'til "tomorrow" but that's simply a convenience of dodging another day again. Simply saying "....MORE billions" isn't satisfying for me. It doesn't actually deal with the question.
And what question would that be? What makes things happen? If you think the universe is less than 10,000 years old then you have no hope of ever understanding what has happened, let alone why. If you aren't interested in the age of the earth, then how interested are you really in how things came to be the way they are?

Stuart

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
:darwinsm:

Your "we" wrestles with how to get matter from nothing. You have libraries full of stories designed to hide the fundamentals of who we are, how we got here and why things make sense, while you will ridicule anyone who presents an idea addressing those things.

You cannot allow rational consideration of the fundamentals, or else your religion is exposed — to you — as the cardboard facade that it is.

And your position is that the rational consideration relies on a several thousand year old Holy Book cobbled together from various sources that leads to a universe less than10,000 years old. Obviously your understanding of the term "rational" is lacking.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Who said I had a Physics degree? That was just your supposition. I have an Engineering degree. :idunno: I work as a physicist.

Supposition. I have postgraduate qualifications in Education and Computer Science, for what it is worth. I teach advanced physics and computer science in a college. Your level of knowledge about physics would be insufficient to start one of my courses, but I am happy to talk down to your level if you wish to continue the discussion. ;)

'cosmochemistry' has as much to do with 'cosmology' as a 'cosmonaut' does. Cosmochemistry is mostly concerned with solar system science. Not cosmology. The article is about geology. There is still no mention of 'cosmology' in the entire article, despite your claim. It is about geologists radiodating meteorites. Not cosmologists. Having 'cosmology' as one of the search terms doesn't validate your claim.

(Kudos for using Duck Duck Go though! Too many people stick with the megaCorp Google. :up: )
It seems like you have a super high IQ.

Stuu

That is part of what he is saying: I saw a child with progeria. Of course she was 80 in one way. In another, she was only 10. What is obvious about both of these? 1) they are both true, correct?
No, obviously not. You can't tell me you could be fooled by the condition of progeria into believing that a child was actually 80 years old.

2) we have to consider our own matrix of understanding time as we look at both of these dynamics. (a little philosophizing in the next 2 paragraphs, may or may not serve....)

Such always show our vocabulary doesn't always match the complexity of observation AND that at times, our words can and do often enough, cause confusions and misleading.
Yes, I think it is more useful that people can share understanding on meanings of words, which is why it can be quite frustrating to have a conversation about the nature of death with a christian. I know about one kind of death, the one which has a few different methods involved in its determining, but essentially involves the heart and brain permanently ceasing to function. But christians have at least three uses of the word death:

1. as in you are already dead (meaning somehow I am still biologically alive but have managed to be spared the punishment of an eternal existence);

2. as in my organs have permanently stopped functioning (the one I understand);

3. some fantasy 'second death', which apparently involves me being dug up, reconstituted, judged, then burned in sulfur either for eternity, or to complete destruction for the rest of time, depending on the version of the fantasy believed by that particular christian.

Whenever a christian uses the word death, I have to ask them which death they are talking about, the real one or one of the fantasy ones.

We are beings that desire to be right/correct. It serves us, but it also causes problems whenever we are wrong and/or short of understanding, right, and/or knowledgeable. TOL is an attempt for all of us to grasp 'right.' Inherently in the debate is the difference. For my part, I try to remember that right (correct, true, actual) is more often than not bigger and beyond all of us. For me, He is God. As such, even an atheist can appreciate a god in his/her own life because we simply cannot live a life of lies successfully or happily. That greater truth, reaching for it, and the meaning of it, gives us all purpose. As such, I'd think there should be a lot less atheists in the world. Living according to what is true and with such purpose, is well within the scope of all humanity, that I don't believe 'atheist' serves anybody.
As you will appreciate, I believe that god belief is the living of a lie, and in the case of Judeo-christianity the adoption of a particularly nasty philosophy, one that denies basic human dignity and integrity for the sake of tribal political advantage. It might represent the Truth to you, but none of it looks to me like it can be true at all.

Stuart

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
It seems like you have a super high IQ.

Please don't pass that on to Donald Trump, he'll want to compare his own super-duper IQ.

Other than that gc appears a pretty bright guy who is willing to deal with specifics rather than Lon's ponderous meanderings.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It depends what you mean by nothing. If we keep to what you mean by nothing and everything, then everything appearing from nothing is now well known. It's the stuff you don't mean by those words that are the subjects of quite difficult investigation, especially the nature of dark matter and dark energy, a rapidly developing area. But if you want to know how the atoms in your computer arose from 'nothing' then that is entirely explained. Ask if you need more detail.
Darwinists need to believe that nothing is something.

You can predict, of course, that my answer here will also start with 'It depends what you mean by...'. So it will help if you can say what you think life actually is, but in the meantime we can still address the question of whether we know how life came from non-life, according to what I think life is. There is no scientific theory of abiogenesis, and if one ever emerges it will have to be circumstantial because the fossils that would link current observations about the conditions around sea floor vents with the biology of ancestral monocellular life forms have not been discovered, and are not very likely to be discovered.
Claims to know how nothing generated everything, but doesn't know how life began.

There are a few really compelling versions of essentially the same narrative, but it's not clear-cut and I would recommend being skeptical (but not entirely closed-minded) to those descriptions.
Like how you are close-minded?

I have to say it's a hypocritical accusation for any creationist to make, because there is no explanation whatever for how life came to be in Judeo-christian mythology. There are many platitudes on that topic but creationists never come up with the level of explanation they demand from real scientists.
Shows what you know.

Life has always existed.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And your position is that the rational consideration relies on a several thousand year old Holy Book cobbled together from various sources that leads to a universe less than10,000 years old. Obviously your understanding of the term "rational" is lacking.
The fundamentals, remember?

You will do everything you can to avoid rational discussion of them.

This was your chance to outline where we came from, why we are here and how it makes sense, but instead you choose a logical fallacy: the genetic fallacy. You ridicule the source of the idea as if that was enough to show it false.

What I said has been shown true immediately.

Lon

No, obviously not. You can't tell me you could be fooled by the condition of progeria into believing that a child was actually 80 years old.
:doh: Do you know what 'progeria' means?

Yes, I think it is more useful that people can share understanding on meanings of words, which is why it can be quite frustrating to have a conversation about the nature of death with a christian. I know about one kind of death, the one which has a few different methods involved in its determining, but essentially involves the heart and brain permanently ceasing to function. But christians have at least three uses of the word death:

1. as in you are already dead (meaning somehow I am still biologically alive but have managed to be spared the punishment of an eternal existence);

2. as in my organs have permanently stopped functioning (the one I understand);

3. some fantasy 'second death', which apparently involves me being dug up, reconstituted, judged, then burned in sulfur either for eternity, or to complete destruction for the rest of time, depending on the version of the fantasy believed by that particular Christian.
See, 'fantasy' doesn't help you. It is simply disdain, not discussion. Such is fodder for TOL banter so knock yourself out as oft as you desire. It will never be a meeting of minds, just bashing. If emoting and banter are your desire, knock yourself out. For you? "Fantasy." For another, a serious discussion and something important to them. Such only continues the divide.

Whenever a christian uses the word death, I have to ask them which death they are talking about, the real one or one of the fantasy ones.
Such already posturizes so no discussion afterwards, just posturing and moving to respective corners. It is marginalizing.

As you will appreciate, I believe that god belief is the living of a lie, and in the case of Judeo-christianity the adoption of a particularly nasty philosophy, one that denies basic human dignity and integrity for the sake of tribal political advantage. It might represent the Truth to you, but none of it looks to me like it can be true at all.
:nono: On TOL perhaps, but no, Christians by and large are decent loving people because Jesus was a decent loving person and taught we are to be the same. Loving enemies is a high call. Certainly you can rail about 'our' (respectively and including TOL) imperfections, but not our ideals. I really do want to be like the One I'm called by and really try to follow.

We are a little off the beaten path of the OP, but I think it worth the contemplation and side-way.